3-6: "Day 6" 2007.07.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

401 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 1:41 PM

From Zap2It:

One chef changes teams; each team must prepare three lobster dishes in an hour; another chef must leave.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

"Everything she touches, she screws!" Hee. That's my "I'm 12" line from tonight.

Melissa's "I'm not going to sabotage any of you guys" comment to the guys.... um... yeah... how much trouble in the Red kitchen was caused by Melissa trying to screw people over that the cameras didn't catch.

Kinda like the Jen held back that she's worked in some pretty notable kitchens. Props for not pulling a Marcel and acting like people out to bow down to you because of your resume.

Sadly... I think Julia is not long for this show. While she's a damned good line cook you'd be happy to have in your kitchen, she's just not "head chef" material. Just not that creative, yet. Maybe they can have her run the Original Pancake House they already have at Red Rock??

After Rock was all mad, then went all quiet, I was just waiting for him to snap. Kinda surprised that he never did.

The waiter who bumped in to JP out on the dining floor looked scared shitless!!

Those Blue team mashed potatoes.... yeoch. Those looked like the kind that come out of a box.

Weee! Ding dong... Melissa's gone!! Only about two episodes too late. But boy was I glad to see that picture go up in flames.

CarpalFunnel

CarpalFunnel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

Finally! She's gone. I can sleep peacefully now.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Calm The Rock down!

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your ringmaster. In this corner, The Waffle House cook with no fine dining training. In the other corner, a ten-year veteran chef. Place your bets now.

Round 1: Neither Julia nor MElissa won points for their teams during the reward challenge. But it was funny that GRís only complaint with Juliaís dish was that it was boring even though he liked the way the lobster was cooked MElissa, chef díherbs, failed because her lobster wasnít cooked properly. The punchline? Julia guessed at how long to cook the lobster, yet Miss Iím-All-That, with years of experience, couldnít pull it off even with Josh as her sideline coach. Hee!

Round 2: Then, Juliaís scallops were perfect, MElissaís not so much.

Round 3: Julia struggles on the meat station. MElissa gets thrown off her station AND thrown out of Hellís Kitchen. Bye-Bye Bitch!

Could MElissa survive a shift at The Waffle House?

Edited by MyEyesSee, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:03 PM.

indigotea

indigotea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Anybody who didn't predict that hasn't been paying attention.

Next week? Josh goes. Loved the previews..."Here's a secret: you can't cook!"

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Ding Dong! The bitch is dead!

The blue team was a disaster tonight.

"Everything she touches, she screws" LOL

*yawn* at next week and "Ramsey does something he's never done before!". Unless it involves killing some people, I am not impressed.

Maybe it's the "You can't cook!" Josh.

Edited by TVGuy88, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:02 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

Wow. It turns out they didn't even need Melissa, for Rock's darkside to emerge. What the hell was that? That was a horrible task to do, but Rock reaction was crazy. Did he get tossed into trashcans, when he was child?

Yay... Melissa's gone! It wasn't as fun, since she was less smug, and more whipped tonight, but it still was awesome. Started as a frontrunner, only to have been kicked out before the Waffle House chef, and the nanny. Awesome.

This whole episode was crazy. Juila snapped back at Gordon. Bonnie did something right. Brad was messing up. The cook who tried to serve food out of the trash, is now a frontrunner. Well, Josh still sucked, so somethings didn't change. And this felt like the 10th time, he said something along the lines of "I'm going to bring it, next time!" Quit talking, and start cooking, Josh.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

The challenges went well for most of them. Wow @ Rock. He spent 9:15-9:30 of the episode going psycho. I'd be pissed too, but good lawd man. Suddenly Melissa seemed shy and quiet.

As for the service, what a wipeout. Red was great, blue was awful. Rock's ego is inflating by the episode but he is easily the best amongst the men. Brad has been solid other than tonight, so maybe this was just an aberration. Josh is way behind the pack at this point. Melissa going was obviously, no shock. She was an early fav despite her attitude but has been going in the wrong direction for weeks.

On the red side, I did think this was the first episode where it felt like Julia's lack of experience seemed to hurt her a little. She kind of lost it a bit there at the end emotionally, hopefully she can pull it together. Otherwise, the girls teamwork was excellent and they did very well. Bonnie, fire aside, has improved a lot in standing since her meltdown several episodes back. Jen took real control and was excellent.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

My favorite lines tonight were:
"Yes, chef. No, chef. Gremlin!" and JP, "Lobster is shooey chef".

I'm glad to see Melissa leave, I have nothing but hate for her. WTF is up with Jen and her secret credentials? Odd. I don't know if it is really the best strategy to have Gordon think you know nothing and then be amazed at how well you do. I know at other times he has shown an ability to overlook someone's training and see their skill, however, I still think he'll take that into consideration when picking the winner. I can see if helping someone with lesser credentials to continue to learn and grow, but ultimately, I think he'll want someone experienced.

I haven't been a huge fan of Rock before, but his temper tantrum really didn't help. It was like roid rage. Christ. I wouldn't want to go through trash either, but it seemed to be mostly bottles. It wasn't like he had them picking through half eaten food looking for a particular fork. It is interesting that the ladies seem to always win the photo shoot challenge.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

After Rock was all mad, then went all quiet, I was just waiting for him to snap. Kinda surprised that he never did.

I had an apartment-mate like that at one time in my life. When he got angry, he would spew for an hour, then it was all (really) over and forgotten. I was the opposite temperament (we really weren't terribly well suited to live together), I would stew silently for a week but nobody would ever know. His way may well be healthier, but it was very hard for me to live with sometimes. People like that still make me want to get away while they're letting loose, but I now understand that it's just their way of coping.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your ringmaster. In this corner, The Waffle House cook with no fine dining training. In the other corner, a ten-year veteran chef. Place your bets now.

Round 1: Neither Julia nor MElissa won points for their teams during the reward challenge. But it was funny that GRís only complaint with Juliaís dish was that it was boring even though he liked the way the lobster was cooked MElissa, chef díherbs, failed because her lobster wasnít cooked properly. The punchline? Julia guessed at how long to cook the lobster, yet Miss Iím-All-That, with years of experience, couldnít pull it off even with Josh as her sideline coach. Hee!

Round 2: Then, Juliaís scallops were perfect, MElissaís not so much.

Round 3: Julia struggles on the meat station. MElissa gets thrown off her station AND thrown out of Hellís Kitchen. Bye-Bye Bitch!

Could MElissa survive a shift at The Waffle House?

I don't think so! I love how Ramsey pointed out how FOUR PROFESSIONAL CHEFS got beaten by a nanny, a Waffle House cook, and a pastry chef.

I so want Julia to win; I'm done watching the second she's gone. I absolutely despise Rock now; I want that guy to just go home!

Ange78

Ange78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Okay, I officially love Rock now. Except his rage scares me. But I loved his Melissa-hate this episode, and it was kind of cool when he showed his respect for Jen. And really, I think he truly had a right to be mad...

Because that challenge loss was SO BULLSHIT. That was the sketchiest win I have ever seen in my life. Isn't it a coincidence that the girls won a challenge to appear glammed up posing like Charlie's Angels-with-a-spatula with GR in InTouch magazine? And while Jen's dish could truly have been better than Brad's, something tells me that this prize really would not have worked well at all with the guys if they had won. SO rigged. And I haved always taken the true "reality" of HK with a grain of salt, but was just way too shady to me...

But I'm also kind of on team Jen now. I still like Julia, but Jen really has her shit together. It's kind of impressive. Is it weird that I might have a girl-crush on Jen?

Edited by Ange78, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

The challenges went well for most of them. Wow @ Rock. He spent 9:15-9:30 of the episode going psycho. I'd be pissed too, but good lawd man.

That moment made me think that Rock can't win now. God forbid something goes wrong if he was running a kitchen. He seemed completely out of control.

Melissa completely fell apart. I don't know if it was nerves, but she looked like hell as well as being terrible in the kitchen.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

This time I noticed Melissa's hair neatly tied back for service, but down when she faces GR. Is she seriously so deluded that she thinks that mess looks good? Ugh! glad to see her go. Still, I'm rooting for Julia. I think she could handle the job because she knows she lacks loads of experience as opposed to Melissa & her 10 years of training who can't get the simplest dish right. Lastly, I live in Philly & if the restaurants that Jen worked at are the ones where sh learned that 212 crap. I'm not eating at any of them.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

So glad I was right that Julia's meltdown was misleading. I don't think she would have ended up as flustered had Bonnie not set fire to the kitchen. She got jumpy after that and I just think she lost her focus.

Bye Bye Melissa! How much did you do to your team, that you actually had to assure the guys that you wouldn't sabotage them. Rock just looked at her like she was insane.

Rock needs to relax a wee little bit. I think his anger was a tad justified though. I think in the end, GR knew he had a tie, he also knew what the reward was. Photo shoot with three guys and Melissa the hag, or three ladies who clean up really well. Hmmmmm. Tough choice.

Julia needs to get her butt to culinary school.

Jen is such a sly one. She may just take the brass ring.

Fiddler1

Fiddler1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

1. Even the lobsters know better than to rebel in GR's grip

2. I now officially can't stand Rock. His temper tantrum was just too childish. Heck yeah, get mad, but don't sulk. You signed up for it, you knew what could happen, take your punishments like a man.

3. I never wanted to wield a pizza cutter so badly in my life.

AnarchyNow

AnarchyNow

Channel Surfer

I don't really blame Rock for getting so pissed. No matter what crap the Red Team served, they were going to win the challenge. I mean a photo shoot? With Ramsay? Does anyone really believe the guys had a chance? But rubbing it in by making Rock collect garbage at the photo shoot was crass. I think Rock showed less temper than I would have.

Edited by AnarchyNow, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:19 PM.

leto

leto

Couch Potato

Rock seriously needs to invest in anger management.

Jen has an impressive resume which makes the fact that she's the only contestant who would resort to trashdiving that much more baffling.

Things are not looking so good for Julia as the competition shifts, but I'm still firmly on Team Waffle House.

Bye, Melissa.

Packrat87

Packrat87

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Sadly... I think Julia is not long for this show. While she's a damned good line cook you'd be happy to have in your kitchen, she's just not "head chef" material. Just not that creative, yet. Maybe they can have her run the Original Pancake House they already have at Red Rock??

I'll agree with you. Julia never ate lobster before so she can't create with that ingredient. She played safe and made lobster risotto with Jen coaching her. However, she was able to cook the lobster by intuition...so she's trully a head chef with raw potential.

There's not much notable to say about this episode except the replica of last season's reward but this time they mimic Hell's Angels poses.

Jen was a wolf in sheep's clothing and has much more experience in an upscale restaurant but that makes the spaghetti in the trash can incident much worst to me. But it explains her moments of leadership.

Rock was scary when he had his meltdown but he got provocated with all this recycling and getting humiliated at the photoshoot...so understandable to a certain extent.

Bonnie beat Melissa in the head-to-head challenge....She got lucky with her lobster with baked apples pairing.

Preview: Chef Ramsey has a secret for Josh: "You can't cook!" Someone in the blue team made baby poo risotto. The red team suddenly stops communicating. And it's a red team/blue team head-to-head menu.

indigotea

indigotea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

I still think Rock is going all the way. Julia doesn't have the background. Bonnie doesn't have the experience. Josh and Brad barely escaped the chopping block tonight. That leaves Jen, and while she may have misled us about being "a simple pastry chef", she still gets very emotional and makes bad decisions.

Rock went off...but not in the kitchen. Even when GR pushed all his buttons by having him take out the trash at the photo shoot, he saved his seething for later.

I've gone off at my job, too, when told to do something that was a huge waste of my skills. It's just not SMART to use someone that way, and Ramsay knows it. In a pinch, yeah, nobody's too good to sort out recycling. But when it's not a pinch, you spend your labor dollars more wisely.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

That moment made me think that Rock can't win now. God forbid something goes wrong if he was running a kitchen. He seemed completely out of control.

Yep, altough it sounds funny agreeing with that with the way Chef Ramsey behaves, hehe.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Josh is working his inner Stuart Smalley - I'm good enough...but gosh darn it Josh, Chef Grr doesn't like you.

Thank you Baby Jesus for Melissa leaving. I don't think I've been happier with anybody leaving the show. Go grate somewhere else please. Even the Waffle House wouldn't want her.

Calm the fuck down Rock...too bad he didn't use that energy to keep the Blue Kitchen in line tonight.

Julia did get rattled tonight, but considering how far she's come in the competition with her lack of fine dining bullshit I'll give her a pass on it. I think she'll come down to the final four. I love her attitude and that she can recognize when she's starting to come apart and try and fix it.

Jen has totally become the dark horse for me...she may actually win this thing.

Edited by cherry malotte, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:19 PM.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

I think it's between Jen and Rock now. Rock, in spite of his meltdown tonight, has been the most consistent of the remaining men and GR seems to respect his ability. Jen hasn't screwed up since the pasta recycling episode and seems to have quiet leadership skills. I don't see either Julia or Bonnie outlasting her.

And yeah, the outcome in the lobster challenge seemed to be predetermined towards the Red Team -- the Blues, Rock aside, aren't exactly a photogenic bunch.

I felt kind of sad for Melissa at the end. She looked totally overwhelmed and beaten down.

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

I love the restraint Ramsay shows with Julia. When he corrects her, he is strict and forceful, but yet he keeps himself very calm. You can tell there is no real animonsity in his voice. I think he is privately rooting for her to do well in this competition.

I understand Rock being ticked off about sorting through trash, but his anger was WAY over the top.

And I'm sorry, but no matter what Jen does I will never get over her spaghetti recycling....UGH.

EDIT: Oh, and I have never seen someone get a makeover and look worse than their 'before'.

I'm looking at you Jen.

Edited by kanona29, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:26 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

something tells me that this prize really would not have worked well at all with the guys if they had won. SO rigged.

I fear that I must agree. Last week was all set to be equally rigged (ladies sashay off for a spa day of pampering, while the guys have to interact with a [pretend] bursting-into-flames wedding planner), but the red team did SO badly, there was no way to pretend.

This week, I suppose it was rather close call for the reward, but I agree with Rock that Blue team really did add up better (rather than counting points, rate each dish on percentages and add them up), and he was right to be pissed. I guess that's why I'm willing to give him some slack on his angry spell.

I couldn't quite follow what was going on between Julia and GR at the end of the service. What was she doing/saying wrong, and what was getting him so worked up? Somehow the nuances were escaping me. I like her much the best of anyone left, have done so for weeks, but I've also been feeling that she's a long shot for the big prize, and this week solidified that for me. She has good instincts (she "guessed" how long to cook the lobster -- though I wonder if that means that a teammate told her how it should look when done, and she watched for that rather than timing it), she knows how to take GR's invective (telling us she knows it's to make her better), but she lacks some pretty basic experience -- when assigned to create a new dish, she instead made one they cook every day, and just added to it.

Keely

Keely

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

Okay, I officially love Rock now. Except his rage scares me. But I loved his Melissa-hate this episode, and it was kind of cool when he showed his respect for Jen. And really, I think he truly had a right to be mad...

I'll admit that the depth of his rage had me blinking - while at the same time hoping he exploded at the photo shoot. Yet he kept it controlled there which says to me he knows when to explode or vent and when not to.

Having said that, I too think his anger was totally justified. The moment the teams were going head to head I started taking bets around my house that the women would win because Grr prefaced the reward as glamorous. While I love this show, the longer I watch the easier it is to know who is going to win what to the point it's becoming disappointing. The red team winning that challenge was utter bullshit. So too was Josh doing the lobster runs. What convenient help for the red team who squealed and took almost twice the time (or more) getting their lobsters than the men.

As a woman I'll admit that I love seeing women win against men but I'm growing tired of this show and its seeming skewed rewards and 'gimmes' for the women. If they win they win but damn sam let them do it on their own merit, reality tv or not.

everstar

everstar

Video Archivist

Can you smell the Rock's anger management issues? They smell like... burnt tempura.

Thank GOD Melissa's gone. I was mortally afraid she was going to pull it out with a stunning display of hitherto concealed skill but no, she proceeded along her usual lines.

I am beginning to worry a bit about Julia, yes. I'm hoping that even if she can't pick up the win at this point that GRrrrr snaps her up for an apprenticeship. I think she'd blossom.

Jen may be the dark horse here; her backbone transplant seems to be taking.

Bonnie still isn't impressing me one way or the other.

Edited by everstar, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:24 PM.

indigotea

indigotea

Loyal Viewer

I wish we could do custom titles on the boards here. I'd totally proclaim myself as "Lobster Bitch."

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Because that challenge loss was SO BULLSHIT.

I'm sure the photo shoot people did not want to deal Melissa's cavewoman hair which is why they lost. That, plus it's a photo shoot and GR can be Charlie. Shocking twist, indeed.

Yeah, as much I would like it, Julia isn't going to win, but she's really gotten far and maybe she'll get a fully paid trip to CIA from GR.

Not too much else is notable.

Josh is working his inner Stuart Smalley - I'm good enough...but gosh darn it Josh, Chef Grr doesn't like you.

Good call. That was too funny!

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:30 PM

While I don't think Josh is much longer for this competition (now watch, he'll win it all), he really made me laugh this week. Between the Stuart Smalley stuff and his "lobster bitch" comment, I was rolling. And I thought it was nice that everytime Julia asked for a lobster, she said "thank you."

And I, too, would proudly proclaim myself a "lobster bitch!"