The Big Bang Theory

• Please log in to reply

19696 replies to this topic

tamariskie

tamariskie

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

20/20 but I had to skip around and use process of elimination.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

Another 20/20.  I'm a proud geek with a master's degree in engineering.  (Take that, Sheldon!)

quof

quof

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Jesus, I got 19/20. Then I clicked on a couple more, aced the Friends quiz, recognized that one of the quotes in the Seinfeld quiz was wrong (George does not say "Parking in a garage is like going to a hooker." He says "Paying for parking is like going to a hooker.")

.....  I need to go read a book.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

19/20. Oh dear God. The  school motto one got me. I, too, wish I had known that I could pass.

Just saw the one where Raj stays at Howard's with Howard's mother. Hilarious. She hides Raj's pants and keys so he can't escape, heh.

There was Raj to Howard all scared on the phone as the mother yells in the background about Raj's bath being ready.

Raj: "She's not going to bathe me, is she?"

Howard to Raj: "I wish I could tell you, 'no.' "

Edited by ari333, Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:27 PM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

Ack.  20 out of 20 on that quiz.   I didn't think I would do that well.  LOL.  

edited:  I wish I'd know I could skip and not have it count against me- I had trouble with one, and guessed (correctly but would've known for sure if I could have skipped the other one and come back to it)

Edited by callietwo, Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:59 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

I think it was mentioned on some page here, IIRC, but that chick from the Wonder Years (Danica? IDK) who has a PhD in math in real life, would be a good gf for Raj. Attractive, but not so OTT sexy as to knock Penny or the others off the chart. Let Raj have a scientist too. (I know, I know, Leonard didn't get a scientist, but Penny is different and one of the original characters.) Just a thought. Give Raj a gf, Show. It would add some good new plot material, imo.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

20/20. What's scary is I knew 19 of them cold.

I just realized that BBT is my comfort food. I come home from work, exhausted, and watch an ep or two of BBT, all of which I have seen several times. Kinda pathetic, I know, but it sure helps with trivia contests!

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

Article "Why Aren't More Girls Attracted To Physics?" http://www.wbur.org/...ted-to-physics?

The percentage of girls in physics classes varies considerably in different areas.  Having Sheldon as a guest lecturer is not the only factor.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

I just realized that BBT is my comfort food. I come home from work, exhausted, and watch an ep or two of BBT, all of which I have seen several times. Kinda pathetic, I know, but it sure helps with trivia contests!

Omg that is a great and very apt description for me too. Comfort food. Tired, just want to chill and not hear any horror real news. I'm there even if I've seen them several times before. Mr. Ari does impressions of these folks. Quite good and funny.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

Me too. If a repeat is on, I always watch it, even though I may have seen the episode several times already. There are only a couple of shows I have ever done that to.

Here is how I know that I probably watch too much BBT: the other day I was watching 'Lost', which used to be my favorite show (but definitely not a 'comfort food' show like BBT). One of the characters (Hurley) yelled, "I'm not crazy!" And, without even thinking, I yelled out, "My mother had me tested!"

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

I'm so on board with BBT as comfort food...

The news makes me depressed. Most network shows leave me convinced of our civiliation's rapid decline toward total banality. HGTV is garbage. I gave up on sports when not even i could ignore the reality that it's all just Money Ball. Hell, not even the Weather Channel can be counted on for actual, you know, WEATHER.

But BBT makes me forget all that, even though I now find myself reciting the lines along with them. Honestly, if it weren't for BBT I would bail on television altogether.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Love the show, but I do have a small beef and it will make me sound anal, but here goes.

In  the, "Fuzzy Boots" episode Leonard supposedly takes Penny's mail and feigns that it was delivered to him so that he has an excuse to go over to her apartment and give her her mail. HOW DID HE GET HER MAIL? Given the lock boxes that have been in many episodes, I was just wondering.

I could see a better plan, in this instance, of Leonard getting his own mail and subsequently stuffing it into Penny's box (sorry no pun intended) and hoping that she would return his mail to him. But the other way around doesn't make sense considering their mailbox situation. Even if Leonard had thought it through enough to think of cramming his own mail into Penny's box that would require some kind of opening and I dont recall one. Just sayin. [/nit] 

Edited by ari333, Aug 10, 2013 @ 7:48 PM.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Okay, well I'm not going to add to any waning credibility I might have had as a sane person...but I have one possible explanation. When I lived in New York we had the same teensy key mail boxes they have on BBT. So what the USPS would do is put the actual letters (number 5 envelopes) into the teensy mailboxes...and anything bigger they'd throw on the ledge beneath the boxes and you'd just have to sort through it all. He could have grabbed her magazines, etc., there.

Of course, this theory presumes that there might be any logic at all behind the BBT writers' reasoning...or mine, for that matter!

ETA: Or he picked the lock. We know Sheldon knows how. And now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my Overthinkers Anonymous Meeting.

Edited by Oldernotwiser, Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:08 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

One of the characters (Hurley) yelled, "I'm not crazy!" And, without even thinking, I yelled out, "My mother had me tested!" 

We've been watching DVD's of Downton Abbey and every time one of the characters offers someone a cup of tea (which is all the time), I say, "May I offer you a hot beverage?"

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

"It's a non-optional social convention."

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:32 PM

We've been watching DVD's of Downton Abbey and every time one of the characters offers someone a cup of tea (which is all the time), I say, "May I offer you a hot beverage?"

I'm glad it's not just me.

Ari, I should try using that one on my teenagers!

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Just got back from visiting my 82 year old mother who recently discovered Big Bang. She's very fussy herself (always has been... sigh...) and now starts sentences with "I'm going to be very Sheldon Cooper now..." or "that's so Penny of you!" It was hilarious! She asked me to teach her how to use the computers at the library to look up things on the internet and then spent her time looking up facts about the cast! We can focus on the inconsistencies and stuff we don't like, but I love that this show makes her so very happy!

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

A fun trivia quiz that I expect a lot of folks on this forum will rock :) Enjoy!

19 out of 20 here!  Thanks so much for posting this, Fanatic.  If not for my obsessive love for this show, I'd say that I really, really need a life.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 2:17 AM

It's the 126th birthday of  Erwin Schrodinger (Schrodinger's Cat).

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

Happy Birthday, Mr. Schrodinger. Check out today's Google doodle. Of course, I came here immediately after I saw it. : )

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 11:01 AM

So what the USPS would do is put the actual letters (number 5 envelopes) into the teensy mailboxes...and anything bigger they'd throw on the ledge beneath the boxes and you'd just have to sort through it all. He could have grabbed her magazines, etc., there.

If that was the case, that would just be him repeatedly picking up her mail by accident, rather than the carrier misdelivering, as he claimed. In the first episode where Sheldon gets sick, the guys had been getting Penny's mail for her while she was visiting Nebraska. It's possible Leonard made a copy of her key the first time she had them do that.

Edited by LoneHaranguer, Aug 12, 2013 @ 11:03 AM.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I just realized, thinking about Sheldon's gradual transformation into more and more of a buffoon, that his trajectory resembles Homer Simpson's. In the beginning, both characters were closer to a type of real person, on the  border of being believable real people.  And over time their lines have evolved from character-driven genius to the lesser amusement of just watching the character do his thing.

Thoughts?

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Howard does refer to it as "stealing snail mail" so there does seem to be the acknowledgement of illicit activity, whatever it was and however Leonard did it.

Edited by planetoid, Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:46 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

Thanks for the mail input re Leonard and Penny. It was just a nitpick, but it was driving me crazy to know if anyone else noticed it. :)

Gigi43

Gigi43

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I just realized, thinking about Sheldon's gradual transformation into more and more of a buffoon, that his trajectory resembles Homer Simpson's. In the beginning, both characters were closer to a type of real person, on the  border of being believable real people.  And over time their lines have evolved from character-driven genius to the lesser amusement of just watching the character do his thing.

Sheldon's decent hasn't bothered me as much as it's bothered me in other shows, such as Joey (Friends) and Kelly (Married With Children) going from your kinda dim friend/kid to too stupid to possibly on their own. At least in Sheldon's case I kind of write it off as if an actual person got away with the way he does regarding to treating people and such, they'd probably only get a hell of a lot worse, where as you just do not become so very dumb. It doesn't excuse it and generally a downward turn instead of growth is generally the lazy done-to-death approach, but, still.

I've been on a little BBT rerun break, and it's paid off. TBS just showed the one where Raj dates the deaf girl. I haven't seen it in a bit and I ended up cracking up almost as I did the first time I saw it. As someone with a condition/disability and a best friend in a wheelchair, Penny's "handicapped people are nice!" just absolutely kills me in a way very real-to-my-life (though neither of us are golddiggers...I'm pretty sure ...) way I don't get to experience from TV a lot.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 12:31 AM

20 out of 20 for me on the quiz.  It helped that a couple of the hard ones had just been on tv.

Is it just me or has TBS been editing the reruns differently?  I don't have the best memory but it seems to me there's been 'extra' lines in the episodes that I hadn't heard before.  There was one tonight but for the life of me I can't remember it.

I'm trying to ignore the discussion on the floorplan of the apartments.  I get all OCD about it and don't want to get all obsessive again.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

Re: the mail.  I believe Sheldon makes a comment later in the episode about Leonard bribing the mail carrier to give him Penny's mail.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

Saw this and had to share. SPOILER ALERT! This link has news about Season 7 developments:

Spoiler

4. Guest spots – Regina King has been confirmed to be back at some point, and Bob Newhart said last year that he signed up to do more than just the one appearance.

Not much, but it does seem to come from an official source.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Aug 15, 2013 @ 6:06 PM.
Added quote and spoiler tags

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Put me on the OCD train with WickedTuna regarding the floorplans. :)

Thanks, Saffron, for the mail bribe comment. That makes more sense in that case. I don't know how I missed that.

And I was also wondering if they're editing differently in syndication or that I wasn't paying enough attention.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

Can't get quotes to work...

"I just realized, thinking about Sheldon's gradual transformation into more and more of a buffoon, that his trajectory resembles Homer Simpson's. In the beginning, both characters were closer to a type of real person, on the  border of being believable real people.  And over time their lines have evolved from character-driven genius to the lesser amusement of just watching the character do his thing."

I don't know about that. I used to only watch the show occasionally, but lately I've gotten really into it, so I've been watching episodes from all different seasons. If anything, BBT goes in the opposite direction to me. That is, on most shows the characters become more exaggerated and cartoony over time, while the characters on BBT seem to actually take steps to become better people. I'm thinking of Howard and Sheldon in particular. I think introducing Bernadette and Amy onto the show had a lot to do with that.

While in many ways BBT is a silly, light-hearted show, I'm impressed by the way it manages to actually show people changing over time, while not abandoning their essential personalities.