The Big Bang Theory

• Please log in to reply

19696 replies to this topic

FinnishViewer

FinnishViewer

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

I am embarrassed to say that I have apparently spent the last five years living under a bridge because I just recently discovered this show

I discovered this show while on a transatlantic flight a couple of years back. American Airlines had a few season one episodes in their in-flight entertainment. After that flight I started tracking down all the episodes up until then.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

He probably stored it in a vacuum, or at least a controlled atmosphere - like the Constitution. And then put *that* into a vault to increase the chances of it surviving an earthquake.

Or his safety deposit box.

Just in case Sheldon ever finds that womb to rent. Oooooh wait. I wonder if Amy would do it for him.

Penny threatened to tell his mother if he went through with his plan to conceive a test-tube baby with Amy. I don't think using Nimoy's DNA instead of his own would matter to her.

audreyngreen

audreyngreen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

American Airlines had a few season one episodes in their in-flight entertainment.

I caught those as well. Though I can't say the show we new to me, it did revive my feelings.

Fierce Critter

Fierce Critter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Quick OT: The "tough time" I've been going through reached an overall happy conclusion today, and things are better at Chez Critter.

Thanks to those of you who gave a friendly word in my direction.

And thanks to Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, Howard, Penny, Bernadette & Amy for allowing me to feel virtual, vicarious friendship over the past week. It helped get me through.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

I'm happy for you, FC. Always nice to hear good news...

Also in the good news category...BBT is on tonight, and once this basketball thing finally resolves, I'm hoping TBS gets back to reruns.

Taps foot impatiently...

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Penny threatened to tell his mother if he went through with his plan to conceive a test-tube baby with Amy. I don't think using Nimoy's DNA instead of his own would matter to her.

Sheldon's mother probably care if the "bastard child" wasn't her biological progeny.

Doesn't Leonard Nimoy have a restraining order against Sheldon? Doesn't he mention it at the end of the episode with the napkin. "I'm going to put this next to his restraining order!" (or something like that)?
Or maybe it was the Stan Lee episode, and Sheldon proudly comes home with a souvenir - a restraining order from Stan Lee, which he says he will hang next to the one from Leonard Nimoy. Although I have no experience with restraining orders; do they have a time limit, like an expiry date?

Maybe Sheldon's mom has come to town and thinking it's a regular, dirty napkin she washes it.

For some reason, I just assumed it was a paper napkin.

Edited by Shermie, Mar 20, 2012 @ 6:02 PM.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Has Sheldon's obsession with Leonard Nimoy ever been explained? I can understand his fascination with and devotion to Mr. Spock. However, he has been seen to be able to distinguish between other television and movie characters and the actors who portray them. Why then this preoccupation with Mr. Nimoy?

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

I don't think he necessarily would need to have a problem distinguishing between fictional characters and the actors who play them to have an affinity for Nimoy. I think loving Spock is reason enough to adore Nimoy. The train of thought can go something like...Spock is awesome. Nimoy played him thus contributing to said awesomeness through his portrayal. Consequently Nimoy is awesome.

Edited by theatremouse, Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Sheldon's mother probably care if the "bastard child" wasn't her biological progeny.

That would only matter if she thought that Sheldon having a hand in its conception didn't give him some responsibility for it. In that case, she would likely order Sheldon not to have anything more to do with Amy or "her bastard child", and she'd forgive him. Otherwise, or if he didn't agree, I don't think she'd move past it.

Fierce Critter

Fierce Critter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

If Sheldon is enough of a Star Trek fan to read books by and about the show (which I admittedly have), he might have read that Nimoy fought very, very hard to keep the actions and words on the show true to the character of Spock that he gave him from the beginning.

That could explain his affinity not just for character, but of the man who really created him.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

Photo of Sheldon and Nimoy:
http://tvline.com/20...-leonard-nimoy/

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Thank you, HyeChaps. Does anyone know if Jim Parsons can do a Vulcan salute without "helping" his fingers with his other hand? Some people can't, most notably Mark Lenard (who played Spock's father).

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Love JP's "cat who ate the canary" grin!

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Jim Parsons meets Stephen Hawking:
http://www.tvguide.c...ng-1045176.aspx

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Love the pic of Parsons with Nimoy. They both look ecstatic.

Part of the Hawking plot described by Parsons sounds ridiculous:

In the episode, Professor Hawking comes to lecture at the university where the guys work. "Wolowitz is on the engineering team to make sure everything stays okay with his wheelchair while he's there," Jim says.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see someone unfamiliar with his wheelchair being given the responsibility of maintaining or overseeing it. I even wonder if when Hawking travels he brings someone with him for any potential wheelchair issues. Again, I may be wrong, but would Engineering be the people to take care of the wheelchair? I would think it would be Software or Computer Engineering. But, as you can see, I'm speaking from a point of ignorance.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

I presume that somewhere on the chair is a pocket containing "in case of emergency" phone numbers, some "how to reboot" instructions, and a disc with information useful to a local technician. If you were to pick just one person to take care of a problem, an Electrical Engineer would be the best choice, since if anything serious were to go wrong with the chair, it's likely to be a chip or other electrical component. However, if you want things fixed as fast as possible, you'd want to put together a team, drawing from all of engineering. Maybe start by adding a Software/Computer Engineer to better understand how the electronics are being operated and maybe work around a hard-to-find electrical problem. Then you'd want someone good with the electromechanicals, which would be a specialization of Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. Then add two or three more of the above, so you have extra brain-power to cover any challenging problems.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

For some reason, I just assumed it was a paper napkin.

It's a cloth napkin, you can tell when Sheldon opens it.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Article about Thursday night's episode, complete with clip...

Leonard Nimoy Reminds Sheldon of His Human Half

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I can't wait! Thanks for sharing, indeed.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I can't believe I saw the Old Navy commercial at least twice before I realized it was Mayim. And then I only recognized her because I realized who 'Joe' was. She looks so angelic and colorful in the commercial.

I'm excited for the episode tomorrow. I'm interested in knowing what life lessons Sheldon learns.

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I'm interested in knowing what life lessons Sheldon learns.

Well, if the past five seasons are any indication, absolutely nothing .

Edited by cryyhavoc, Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:27 PM.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

That's my guess. ;)

If anyone is interested, Sheldon and Amy made it to the "Elite 8". They're up against a non-couple and are losing, so here's the link if you want to vote:

2012 TV Couples March Madness Challenge

Edited by indeed, Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:49 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Mayim was on Conan last night. Dana Carvey was also a guest, and Mayim said that when she had a recurring role on Webster, she modeled her character on the Church Lady. They showed side-by-side photos. It was pretty funny.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Well, if the past five seasons are any indication, absolutely nothing .

You're so mean to poor Sheldon. ;)

I finally got to see the whole episode where Sheldon learns to drive. The driving simulator was hilarious. Those poor poor puppies.

hnygrl808

hnygrl808

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

My favorite Sheldon moment is when Leonard had to work nights and Sheldon didn't want to catch the bus.

Him, in a pink helment, long, lanky legs askew, screaming bloody murder on the back of Howard's moped still makes me laugh so Hard I wet myself.

"Oh NO! NOT EUCLID AVENUE!!!"

Edited by hnygrl808, Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Did I miss something somewhere? I've seen just about every episode this year (except one, I think). When did Raj become able to talk to women?

The little Yorkie dog is adorable; I wonder if it will be Raj's date? :)

I was thinking about the upcoming wedding -- will it be a Catholic ceremony or a Jewish one? Or a combo of both? (Logically, it should be the last.)

I'm also wondering -- since she seems to go everywhere else, will Howard's mother want to go on the honeymoon as well?

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Sheldon-Nimoy SL: fun, although a bit predictable. Sheldon is getting better at lying.

Raj: I had some hope of a good SL when he asked his parents to find him a wife. But I'm way past tired of the endless "guy who cooks and wears cologne must be gay" cliche. (If Raj were gay, fine, but he says he isn't.) He needs a good SL for once.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Quickie question please? I'm new(ish) to this show which I find very amusing, having avoided it since it's Lorre of the famed bathroom humor and his shows mostly make me gag. In any case, I've enjoyed a lot of the reruns and love the cast, every single one, even poor Howard at times. I've only seen a few of the current season episodes but saw the one tonight where Raj almost has an arranged marriage with a lesbian. Since when can he talk to women without booze? I've seen a lot of out of order episodes featuring this quirk of his so was amazed that he was talking in front of Penny and then the intended bride. Thanks in advance for cluing me in on his cure?

As a newbie opinion, yes, Sheldon is annoying as hell but he cracks me up and Leonard is the perfect foil for his mania. This show is just well cast. IMO all the guys and their girlfriends are great and I like that we get plots with the girls doing things together and the guys doing the same - no rom com mess where we only see couples, and I love Leonard and Sheldon's moms.

TVKimmy

TVKimmy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Raj was drinking in the intro. He had a beer bottle in front of him, on the coffee table, while eating. He was also drinking wine in his apartment, at dinner. Mr. TVKimmy also missed the beer bottle and asked when Raj started being able to talk to woman, so it wasn't very obvious.

morning coffee

morning coffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Since when can he talk to women without booze?

He still can't. In the opening and closing scenes he had a beer and at both the dinner at the restaurant and the one in his apartment he had wine. Or, what TVKimmy just said.

I liked that Sheldon recognized that he needed to do the right thing, own his bad behavior, and apologize. I want to call that growth.

Edited by morning coffee, Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:59 PM.