The Big Bang Theory

• Please log in to reply

19689 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I read that Sheldon is the one who has a scene with Hawking. I can't remember the source. I don't know how accurate that is, but the pairing makes sense to me.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

The creator and writers, along with Bialik, were there; I stand by my opinion that for the others to blow it off does not cast them in a very flattering light.

It's possible they had other obligations (or possibly a honeymoon - don't know the timing of Kunal's wedding) and will meet him when they all work together. If it's not the only time they would be seeing/meeting him, it doesn't seem to me to be a slight.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Folks, if your post is entirely (or even largely) about Star Trek and Star Wars... you can probably find one or two places online where you can compare and contrast them at great length. The topic here is The Big Bang Theory.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Some actors (the ones I tend to have more respect for) take an interest in things that are core elements of their characters' personas. Some also like to have input into the writing of their characters, so they are doing something more creative than parroting lines others write.

I'm sure some do research for the roles but I imagine very few make it a part of their personal lives and I certainly wouldn't think less of someone who didn't. I agree that Hawkings is very famous but I'm sure not everyone wants to meet him.

The Adhesive Duck Deficiency was on twice tonight and I watched both times because it's one of my favorite episodes. Sheldon filling out the questionnaire for Penny is never not funny. Cause of accident: No adhesive ducks.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I'm sure some do research for the roles but I imagine very few make it a part of their personal lives and I certainly wouldn't think less of someone who didn't

Absolutely. I like that Jim Parsons is a sports fan and was a concert pianist, not a Trekkie or something Sheldon-ish. Maybe because it's not like Sheldon, I don't know. I enjoy the show and the actors, it doesn't matter to me if their character's interests are part of the actor's lives.

The Adhesive Duck Deficiency was on twice tonight and I watched both times because it's one of my favorite episodes. Sheldon filling out the questionnaire for Penny is never not funny.

And Sheldon being "comforting"! And Sheldon singing "Soft Kitty" in a round! And "A hero always peeks" - Oh, man that's a good episode!!

My fave is the first episode I ever saw (and went "Hey! Johnny Galecki! I hope this is good, 'cause I love him!"). It was the one with the time machine. God, I love when Leonard starts it up for the first time and the guys act like they're speeding through time! Hilarious! And the Morlocks, of course. And wasn't that the one where Sheldon called Penny out on her hypocrisy for calling them pathetic (for their toys) when she has Beany Babies, My Pretty Ponies, and "Hello, Hello Kitty!" Also? The time machine is just cool. I don't care if it looks like something Elton John would ride through the Everglades, it's just so cooool!

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

It's possible they had other obligations (or possibly a honeymoon - don't know the timing of Kunal's wedding) and will meet him when they all work together. If it's not the only time they would be seeing/meeting him, it doesn't seem to me to be a slight.

I agree, CrumbyButtons. I'm only going based on the tweet, which I read to imply that the others blew it off. But I don't follow any of the rest of them on Twitter; if anyone has the story, Rashomon-like, from a different angle I'd love to hear about it.

I agree that Hawkings is very famous but I'm sure not everyone wants to meet him.

Do you mean "not everyone would be excited to meet him" or "some people would dislike meeting him"? I don't want to misunderstand you.

I would also add that I think it's unfortunate if they blew it off not just because it shows them not "Method acting" their characters' interest in science, but also because it's not something they had to seek out on their own or coordinate, but simply to join the other members of their team in being a part of. Clearly Hawking must be a fan of the show, to do this--it's not like he needs the money or something. Therefore, I suspect that (again, assuming they aren't going to gather later--but I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do the whole cameo in one shot) he was likely disappointed not to meet the main stars of the show.

So I kind of think that even if Hawking wasn't famous, if there's a guy who is that disabled (with probably not a whole lot longer to live) and he loves your show, just suck it up and spend five minutes meeting him! When you add in Hawking's fame and his cachet with other scientists (and we know BBT likes to have real life scientists do cameos), why not be more diplomatic even if you're not that jazzed about it? At some point BBT will no longer be a smash hit and will have borderline ratings. When you have borderline ratings, having built up as much goodwill and hardcore loyalty as you can among the real life peers of the fictional scientists on the show might just be worth another season or two, or even a spinoff.

Philip J Fry

Philip J Fry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

Edited by Philip J Fry, Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

morning coffee

morning coffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

So I kind of think that even if Hawking wasn't famous, if there's a guy who is that disabled (with probably not a whole lot longer to live) and he loves your show, just suck it up and spend five minutes meeting him!

FWIW, I doesn't look like it was a simple meet and greet. According to a tweet from Bill Prady, it was a lecture on black holes by Hawking which took place the night before a taping.

Clearly Hawking must be a fan of the show, to do this--it's not like he needs the money or something.

Or, he just found the whole idea to be fun. I don't think we have enough information to suggest that he either loves the show or had his heart set on meeting the cast. It may be more likely that they had to film his scene away from the studio audience and he met the cast at that time.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

The Adhesive Duck Deficiency was on twice tonight and I watched both times because it's one of my favorite episodes. Sheldon filling out the questionnaire for Penny is never not funny. Cause of accident: No adhesive ducks.

What about the meteor shower story line? I always FF through that although I like the 3 guys being sarcastic about wishing Sheldon could have come, then cutting to Sheldon doing the same thing about being alone.

I really enjoy it when Sheldon and Penny interact -- they're great foils for each other. On the other hand, it always bugs me that Penny is lying in a tub with the water running and can't move but somehow has wrapped a towel around herself that is completely dry. And it's ridiculous that they didn't call an ambulance or taxi, because Sheldon driving was definitely not faster. But that wouldn't have been funny, so I'll concede that point to the writers.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

They've shown Penny kicking butt playing Halo and Age of Conan, neither to be with Leonard. She plays Halo whenever one of the guys is busy and the others need a fourth. She got into Age of Conan when she saw Sheldon playing while everyone else was out.

That's right, I had forgotten about that. I guess its because all the female gamers I know are like the guys in TBBT (i.e. into all the "geek", sci-fi/fantasy stuff) and it doesn't seem like any of the women in TBBT are like that.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Also, if they are all in the same room, fighting together and doing the same quests, they really didn't need the headphones (especially with microphones).

But they did need the headphones if the show wanted to avoid having to work out licensing agreements for the music and sound effects in the game. Also, if you've set up your headphones as the default audio output for your computer, it might not occur to you to switch it back to the machine's internal speakers. Also, there's a lot of dialogue in the game; even though they were playing together, there would still be times their characters would be having different conversations with different characters -- it would be annoying to be playing and hearing all that overlapping chatter come out of each person's machine. (Why, yes, I do play the game.)

The mechanics of the game also give a reasonable explanation as to why Sheldon couldn't just go to the birthday party and then join the guys when he got home that evening. If they had been playing all day, they'd all be up to level 20 or so by the time he got home, and he'd be starting at level 1. He'd never catch up to them, and would basically end up playing alone.

(I'm not saying that reason excuses Sheldon't jackassery towards Amy. Just that it's logical from his perspective why it didn't make sense to miss any game time.)

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

FWIW, I doesn't look like it was a simple meet and greet. According to a tweet from Bill Prady, it was a lecture on black holes by Hawking which took place the night before a taping.

At least that clears up that the meeting Mayim mentioned wasn't when Hawking taped his appearance on the show. I completely understand why non-science people, like Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, etc., would not go to the event.

Leonard Nimoy tweeted "Spock on Big Bang Theory on 3/29. Stephen Hawking the following week. Logical. LLAP." I assume this is referring to taping appearances, not broadcasts.

I agree that Hawkings is very famous but I'm sure not everyone wants to meet him.

Do you mean "not everyone would be excited to meet him" or "some people would dislike meeting him"? I don't want to misunderstand you.

I'm not the original poster, but I don't have a desire to meet Hawking. I don't have a good understand of science, and I wouldn't have anything to say to him.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

What about the meteor shower story line? I always FF through that although I like the 3 guys being sarcastic about wishing Sheldon could have come, then cutting to Sheldon doing the same thing about being alone.

I love the meteor shower storyline! Especially the ending where Raj is doing the American accent.

Raj: "And when he rolled over the next morning... dunh dunh DUNH! She was his cousin."

Howard: "Still not funny."

Raj (American accent): "Still not funny."

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Also, there's a lot of dialogue in the game; even though they were playing together, there would still be times their characters would be having different conversations with different characters -- it would be annoying to be playing and hearing all that overlapping chatter come out of each person's machine. (Why, yes, I do play the game.)

But if they're in a group, they should all be part of the same/one dialogue (and earning social points!). They could also switch their program to turn off the speaking dialogue and just go written. I suppose it depends on the headphones, but I know I can't hear people speaking next to me very well with my headphones on (which is why I tend to play with one ear "out"), so it just seemed weird that they would have them on to play the game while sitting next to each other. They could have the volume down low enough to hear some of the sound effects of the blasters and such from their own computers.

[The point to all this is, their writers need better technical info].

yb125

yb125

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

so it just seemed weird that they would have them on to play the game while sitting next to each other.

I don't know, I used to run LAN parties for my at my old job and for MMO's we always used headphones even if we were in the same room. Just seemed easier to me, that way each person's computer sounds were confined to them. Frankly if they didn't have the headphones I'd probably be posting how weird it is to not use them and how it threw off the scene.

Edited by yb125, Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I don't speak any form of Chinese; however, I managed to locate the Mandarin Wikipedia entries for soup and courage. As you can see, they look nothing alike.

I'm not sure how much you can trust any net translation because you never know what meaning or nuance you're really getting. If you put obvious synonyms into google translate you can get entirely different results and back-translating can give you something entirely different from what you initially entered. If Sheldon reads Chinese like he speaks it, he could have trouble if the artist did something unexpected, like rotate the characters or get a piece wrong (artists have been known to drop letters out of simple names or words), especially if he didn't know any of the symbols that could translate to "courage".

And it's ridiculous that they didn't call an ambulance or taxi, because Sheldon driving was definitely not faster.

I don't know about Pasadena, but around here it would be. First, you'd have to wait for someone to be dispatched and arrive. Then you're likely to get a driver who's as much a stickler for the traffic rules as Sheldon. The ambulance drivers in particular are about the only ones strictly observing the speed limits (which were never intended to be strictly observed).

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

I really enjoy it when Sheldon and Penny interact -- they're great foils for each other. On the other hand, it always bugs me that Penny is lying in a tub with the water running and can't move but somehow has wrapped a towel around herself that is completely dry.

I always thought she was wrapped in the shower curtain that came down with her when she slipped. Having dislocated my shoulder I'm always bugged by the shirt she chooses to put on. Something that buttons up the front would have been smarter. That being said, I love this episode. What did Howard call the brisket from home? Brisket of Love? Too funny.

umlautless

umlautless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

And it's ridiculous that they didn't call an ambulance or taxi, because Sheldon driving was definitely not faster.

I don't know about Pasadena, but around here it would be. First, you'd have to wait for someone to be dispatched and arrive. Then you're likely to get a driver who's as much a stickler for the traffic rules as Sheldon.

Also, an ambulance ride is terribly expensive. A friend's husband paid almost $1000 for a half mile trip to the ER after a car accident where he hit his head. (The other driver was at fault, but there was so back and forth with his crappy health insurance, the other driver's car insurance, etc, that they paid the bill (because it was moving into obnoxious collections calls) and then kept hoping and waiting for insurance to cut them a check.)

A taxi though, would have made a lot of sense (has any taxi driver anywhere obeyed the speed limit, or is that just DC). Did Penny say there wasn't time to wait, or am I making that up to bridge the gap in logic? Although, Penny might have been concerned about the cost there, too. If you don't have insurance and are worried about the cost of the trip to the ER, then adding another two-way taxi ride can really add up.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Penny said something about time, and was probably also worried about cost. In the context of a different episode (in which Sheldon kept asking for rides but no one mentioned taxis) some of us speculated that because of Sheldon's behavior, taxi drivers refuse to come to their building (and might refuse even if Penny called). Penny probably needed Sheldon to go to the hospital with her even if they took a cab, because with the drugs the hospital gave her they might not let her leave the hospital alone.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

What did Howard call the brisket from home? Brisket of Love? Too funny.

It was an "I Love You Brisket." It's amazing how well Raj, Howard, and Leonard can hold their own without Sheldon.

Raj: "And when he rolled over the next morning... dunh dunh DUNH! She was his cousin."

Howard: "Still not funny."

Raj (American accent): "Still not funny."

"Who cares? You slept with your cousin!"

I love the part where Sheldon accidentally feels Penny up while trying to get her dressed. And later admitting that like all the mythological heroes, he peeked. Proof that Sheldon Cooper isn't completely assexual.

Edited by Spartan Girl, Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Did I really mangle that sentence that badly? Damn. My grammar is worse than I thought. Anyway, we've both put our thoughts out there and, for me, it would just be repeating the same thing to keep going so moving on...

I like that Jim Parsons is a sports fan and was a concert pianist, not a Trekkie or something Sheldon-ish.

I didn't know Parsons was a concert pianist. That's really cool. My crush just got even bigger.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Simon H. has mad keyboard skills, too. Were Johnny and Sara playing their own instruments during their string quartest scenes?

Edited by queasy, Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:53 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Sara wasn't; Johnny was, at least when the quartet was there. I'm less certain about the pre-coital section.

"I Love You Brisket."

In the S3 dvd extras, the mad-brisket eating was chosen as a particularly odious scene for Galecki (a vegetarian) to do. How they suffer for their art!

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

love the part where Sheldon accidentally feels Penny up while trying to get her dressed. And later admitting that like all the mythological heroes, he peeked. Proof that Sheldon Cooper isn't completely assexual.

Not necessarily. He's a particularly curious person in both senses of the word.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

Johnny was, at least when the quartet was there.

Really? That surprises me, because as an orchestral cellist myself, I was kind of bugged by the lack of attention to technique in those scenes. They definitely seemed to be, uh... string-syncing, though.

Edited by LADreamr, Mar 16, 2012 @ 6:57 PM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Now you got me thinking about the characters' hobbies and areas of interest outside their shared nerd/science activites. Seems like Howard actually has the most:

Howard: used to collect insects; amateur magician; master baiter; "speaks" several foreign languages including sign language; model rockets; musician; took one karate class; collector of lapel pins and belt buckles.

Sheldon: as much as he derides it, I'd say biology/zoology are definite interests of his; various personal logs, journals and charts; a passing interest in weaving

Raj: the brown Martha Stewart; increasingly shameful porn; pilates; John Grisham novels; chick flicks

Leonard: cello

Edited by queasy, Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

master baiter

Spit take! You just snuck that one in there, didn't ya?

several foreign languages

Four, five if you count Klingon ("girls never do")

Sheldon also creates games, which is cool. (On second thought, he creates "geeky" games, so that may not count)

Can you include kite flying, or is that nerdy?

Leonard needs a few more hobbies!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Sheldon: as much as he derides it, I'd say biology/zoology are definite interests of his; various personal logs, journals and charts; a passing interest in weaving

And trains, real and model.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Not necessarily. He's a particularly curious person in both senses of the word.

As he said, "The hero always peeks."

Fierce Critter

Fierce Critter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

I'm not reading this forum because I have about half of this season to catch up on.

But I'm thanking God for this show right now. I'm going through some heavy stuff, and no matter what people think about how this show might have declined (like I said - not reading posts here but in general, I've heard people think recent seasons have been not-so-great), seeing friends interacting like these characters makes me feel just a touch less lonely for a little while.

Yes, I am pathetic. :P