The Big Bang Theory

• Please log in to reply

19696 replies to this topic

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 4:42 PM

Sara Gilbert will be joining BBT for an unspecified number of episodes

Damn, as I remember she only gave birth about a month ago. That's a quick return to work. I've always liked her as well, so it's a shame that what I saw in the extended preview of this show was so awful.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 8:51 PM

This might make me tune in for a couple of episodes. I loved David and Darlene on Roseanne. Ahh, nostalgia.

Oh, I'm so on board with this, it's not even funny. I too loved David and Darlene, or at least the parts before she went to art school and after she got pregnant. The parts where she was a total bitch to him for no good reason (IMO) didn't entertain so much.

I just hope that this show's version of their romance isn't a rehash of the old smart boy likes smart girl/smart boy then meets hot, dumb girl/smart boy dumps smart girl plot. I would love to see her be his brilliant and geeky counterpart whom he really appreciates.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 10:43 AM

The show looks incredibly predictable and the nerds seem terribly stereotyped. And look a hot girl is hovering around them making them socially awkward!!! Yawn. I hang around nerds all the time and none of them are ever that socially awkward.

dejafu

dejafu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:54 PM

The pilot just popped up on my Tivo (weird, huh?), and it was better than I expected. The plot was horrible and the TV bit was even worse, and I fast forwarded through a bit at the end. But it still had some very funny lines in the middle. And the characters are likable. So... maybe at the same level as 2.5 Men.

Kaitlin862

Kaitlin862

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 2:51 PM

I believe they have been playing it on comedy central in the middle of the night with the infomerricals. I have it taping sometime with weekend.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:52 PM

All I've noticed is the non-David roomate is packing those briefs something nice.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:17 PM

You might say I was a little underwhelmed by the reality.

You ain't alone. I caught the airing of the pilot on Comedy Central too. That was the most painful television experience I've had in some time. Nothing here was particularly new or groundbreaking, and it was painfully obvious that the writers' only research was reading Nerds for Dummies (ha!) and "crafting" a script around the terms they found in the glossary. And the laugh track just made it twice as bad for me.

What I learned: nerds are smart and horny, blondes are dumb and annoying, and friends can be painfully embarassing with bad haircuts. Hawking, paradox, conundrum, paradox, Star Wars, Klingon, and paradox. Oh, and Boggle (because Scrabble would have been too cliché).

I'm embarassed for everyone involved, and Johnny Galecki deserves better than this tripe.

Edited by Ethereal Zoe, Sep 16, 2007 @ 12:19 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 6:54 PM

This is so bad. The lead characters may as well be named Jack, Janet & Chrissy. Still if they moved this to Friday nights it would probably do well. On Monday nights, I give it 4 episodes.

russellelly

russellelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 12:04 PM

I'm obviously in a small minority here, but I really enjoyed the pilot. Sure it was nothing groundbreaking, but it had more laugh-out-loud moments than most comedies, some of the frank answers by roommate 2 were excellent (the hororscopes one in particular).

leew261

leew261

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 4:57 PM

Isn't Jim Parsons the guy from the Quiznos commercial who nursed on a wolf?

*shudder*

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

Ouch, Miss Alli calls it the season's worst new show! We hardly ever disagree on anything.

smartveronica

smartveronica

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 4:36 PM

I'm obviously in a small minority here, but I really enjoyed the pilot. Sure it was nothing groundbreaking, but it had more laugh-out-loud moments than most comedies, some of the frank answers by roommate 2 were excellent (the hororscopes one in particular).

This show is meant to be fun and silly and light! Some of the one-liners have really made me chuckle....I'm definitely giving this a shot...

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

All I've noticed is the non-David roomate is packing those briefs something nice.

Thank god I didn't say it first. But - oh yeah he is.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 2:18 AM

I usually don't complain about laugh tracks, but in the case I hated it. It really annoyed the hell out of me. That said, I was surprised at how much I ended up laughing. The cast works very well off each other and is probably better than the material they're doing. At the very least, I'll try and give this a few more episodes.

Finchster

Finchster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 9:24 AM

USA Today convened a panel of TV critics, and they agreed that Big Bang Theory is one of the five worst new shows this fall. (Number 1 is that Caveman show.)

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2007 @ 1:17 PM

That said, I was surprised at how much I ended up laughing. The cast works very well off each other and is probably better than the material they're doing. At the very least, I'll try and give this a few more episodes.

Word- I'm looking forward to checking it out and seeing for myself Monday night. I'll already be watching HIMYM...

agockows

agockows

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 1:31 AM

I don't know about that, but I recognized him immediately from his brief role in Garden State as the guy who worked as a knight at Medieval Times.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 4:59 AM

Yeah, I heart nerds, but these two pathetic characters aren't nerds. They're weird amalgamations of stereotypes stuffed into some hip clothing that I don't see many real nerds wearing. You can't just drop in a WoW reference and claim authenticity.

Exactly. This is what idiots think geeks/nerds are like. From the pilot of "Chuck" and the promos for "Aliens in America", I think two of its timeslot competitors have better handles on their similarly-social-outcast protagonists.

Johnny Galecki deserves better than this tripe.

I haven't seen the pilot, only promos, but he's not exactly doing his part to rise above the material.

Satanic Counsel

Satanic Counsel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 11:05 AM

Cuoco's bearable because she's back to being cast correctly - she's the vapid blonde 'hot' girl (personally I don't think she's all that hot, but she fits the general type).

She's "New Jersey Bar Slattern" Hot.

Johnny Galecki deserves better than this tripe.

I haven't seen the pilot, only promos, but he's not exactly doing his part to rise above the material.

Fine by me. The sooner he's back playing "Trouty" on My Boys, the better.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 1:46 PM

The buzz is the BBT gets better and better as it goes along. I'm excited for tonight!!

realityremote

realityremote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 4:13 PM

And the guy in the FedEx commercial (who hasn't been fired because he works for his dad) and the guy in the giant m&m's commercial. He's a super-talented quirky actor so fingers are crossed that this is his big break-through role.

CherSolly

CherSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 8:13 PM

The buzz is the BBT gets better and better as it goes along.

Gawd, I hope so.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 8:49 PM

They had me at the "masturbating for money" line. I'll give this show a chance.

drsmartassphd

drsmartassphd

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

He's a super-talented quirky actor so fingers are crossed that this is his big break-through role.

I've been a fan of Jim's since I stage managed a Brecht play he was in with Infernal Bridegroom Productions in Houston about 10 years ago (give or take). He is a wonderfully sweet guy and I'm thrilled he's getting so much work (he's also in that weird chewing gum commercial).

That said, I thought that tonight's episode was excrement on toast. Ouch. Jim deserves better than that.

Edited by drsmartassphd, Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:40 PM.

wah4us

wah4us

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

I haven't laughed so much at a sitcom in years.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

I'd give it a C. I've seen worse, but they do seem to be trying a too hard at every turn to show how geeky these guys are.

from carfax

from carfax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 10:05 PM

It was much better than I was expecting.

The critics made it sound like it would be a disappointment. But I think these four nerds are going to grow on us. And it looks like the blond is going to end up being the big sister/protector of them.

Lincolnave

Lincolnave

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 10:59 PM

Well at least its better than The Class.

And Kaleys hot.

Edited by Lincolnave, Sep 24, 2007 @ 11:07 PM.

Kiwi Kath

Kiwi Kath

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 11:00 PM

Ouch - that was really bad. It's off my list.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

Watched it only because I was too lazy to turn off the TV after How I Met You Mother--and what a pleasant surprise! I wouldn't watch Two and a Half Men if it was my grandmother's dying wish, so I expected nothing, but Jim Parsons is a treasure, and I laughed out loud a dozen times--how often does that happen anymore? Lovely chemistry between the two nerds. My only issue is whether than can keep up a show based on such a one-note premise.