The Big Bang Theory

• Please log in to reply

19689 replies to this topic

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

I think Penny turns to Sheldon because she likes him -- as a friend. Do men and women always have to be sexually attracted to each other?

This is where I'm at. Penny and Sheldon as friends are a hoot to watch together - as friends. Male/female friendships are wonderful parts of real life, and when done correctly (like Penny and Sheldon) they are wonderful to watch!

pinktank

pinktank

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

I love Bernadette and Howard, but I'm a little confused about her job. Does she still work at the Cheesecake Factory and do science-y stuff on the side? Or did the writers change her career without really telling us?

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:22 PM

From a few pages back:

No, I thought I heard that too. I heard him say, "...in darkest night..." instead of "...in blackest night...:, the latter of which is the correct version, right?

It has shown up both ways in the comics, though "blackest night" is the original and probably best-known version. So Sheldon was not wrong.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

I think Penny turns to Sheldon because she likes him -- as a friend. Do men and women always have to be sexually attracted to each other?

Oh, no... men and women certainly needn't be sexually attracted to each other, although it's intriguing that both Howard and Raj are also shown as being sexually attracted to Penny, and Leonard and Howard also having been sexually attracted to Leslie Winkle and Stephanie (and Missy), and Raj being attracted to Missy as well... thus making Sheldon's platonic relationships the only exception. But I should probably clarify that, even as a 'shipper, I don't see them as sexually attracted to each other... I don't harbor fantasies that either lies in bed at night fantasizing about the other.

Instead, I see two things.

One is that their initial, pilot-episode reaction to each other indicated a pleasant awareness of the other. Sheldon's shy eye-thing really does indicate a "gawrsh gee" reception of her approval of his being a Beautiful Mind scientist. And Penny, when she sat on the sofa and he told her it was his spot, was downright flirtatious when she said, "You could come sit by me." Which is NOT to say that either immediately thought of the other as a sexual conquest--just that neither did they think, "Yuck!"

The other is that they have a good relationship--as friends, yes. They've gone to each other for help, and come to one another's defense. They are refreshingly honest with each other. With rare exceptions, neither takes offense at the other. And they share a similar Midwest background and ethics. In some ways, this simple friendship shows a more intimate relationship than that b/t Penny and Leonard.

Because of these two things, I do see a possibility of a far-future relationship b/t Penny and Sheldon. If so, it would be a case of love/respect creating an eventual sexual attraction that could be very fun to watch, should it happen. In the case of Penny and Leonard, if they have a future, it would be a case of friendship becoming sexual compatibility creating an eventual love/respect.

Edited by Yvaughn, Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:28 PM.

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

I love Bernadette and Howard, but I'm a little confused about her job. Does she still work at the Cheesecake Factory and do science-y stuff on the side? Or did the writers change her career without really telling us?

I think the story was that she was a microbiology grad student working at Cheesecake Factory to pay for it, although I could be wrong (although I don't know why you'd go to science grad school without any funding, but they needed some way to tie her in to the group).

Slightly off-topic, that is the most well-lit Cheesecake Factory I've ever seen.

workworkwork

workworkwork

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 1:38 AM

I went back and re-watched the pilot and somewhat to my surprise I enjoyed it more than my first viewing. Penny looked really cute (her hair looks great with bangs) and she seemed to smile a lot more.

Also, I really liked the Sheldon/Leonard banter and their encounter with Kurt, the ex-boyfriend:

Kurt: How the heck did you get in here?
Leonard: [beat]...we're scientists....

(This is after they got into Kurt's building by following a pair of Girl Scouts selling cookies once their own efforts had failed.)

Anyway, back to the current episode.

I almost hate to say it but when Sheldon described his highly-anticipated evening of upgrading the hard drive on his computer I was right there with him. I love puttering around in our second bedroom which has been taken over by my computers. It's the 21st century equivalent of my Dad's basement workshop.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 2:28 AM

I see your Sheldon/Leonard and I raise a Sheldon/Raj

Especially since Howard dumped Raj for Bernadette, huh?

On other fronts, I too enjoyed the pilot far more on rewatch. The first time I saw it (when the series premiered) I decided I didn't like the show, and didn't catch it again until the 2nd season. I think the pilot gave me the impression that the show would be mocking the guys (what with the pantsing and all) instead of, well, celebrating them in all their nerdiness. Once I learned the true BBT, I've been able to catch up on what I missed (and am clearly in an extra BBT mood today).

I now make it a rule to give shows the pilot PLUS an episode before making a decision, since pilots are filmed so far in advance.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 9:01 AM

Slightly off-topic, that is the most well-lit Cheesecake Factory I've ever seen.

We went to the Cheesecake Factory for my birthday last weekend, and, yes, it's definitely a lot dimmer. It's very weird why the show decided the restaurant would be the Cheesecake Factory because it looks nothing like the real thing, and the servicers uniforms are just wrong. (I gotta say, we all loved our food. I almost ordered a hamburger just because Sheldon always gets that.)

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

Happy belated birthday, peeayebee! Per your comment,

It's very weird why the show decided the restaurant would be the Cheesecake Factory because it looks nothing like the real thing,

To judge by the first few episodes of the series, I would willingly bet money (though not much) that the writers chose "Cheesecake Factory" for Penny because they liked the name and they wanted to make a lot of cheesecake jokes (she's a "cheesecake scented goddess," Leonard is lactose intolerant, etc), but had never actually been to one. They seem to have realized about five episodes in ("The Hamburger Postulate") that the restaurant served actual dinners. At that point, they'd already established Penny's uniform (which is more Denny's than CCF). After that, their choices are anyone's guess. Maybe the real CCF seemed a bit too classy for their image of Penny?

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

Well, there's something I didn't realize... I had just assumed that Penny's waitress and bartender uniforms were real Cheesecake Factory uniforms that they asked CCF for to use for the show. I haven't been to the Cheesecake Factory in about five years because we don't have them in Canada (a pity because from what I remember, I really liked the food there)... what do real Cheesecake Factory uniforms look like out of curiousity?

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

So if Holmes had considered learning Finnish, he would have had to balance it against the risk of forgetting something that he already knew. Sheldon apparently does not have that problem.

Holmes underestimated the size of the attic and what a good filing system could do. Sheldon is unusually methodical and organized; who else would put an RFID tag on each and every pair of socks (of the same color!) he packs?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

what do real Cheesecake Factory uniforms look like out of curiousity?

IIRC, they look like classy, regular clothes. Maybe black slacks and a white shirt. Something like that.

I recorded Ellen's show to see Jim Parsons. I only watched his part. Of course he was adorable, but I enjoy his appearances on Craig Ferguson's show much more. Anyway, he talked about his family in Houston watching the show together every week and calling him afterwards almost all the time, but when they don't, he worries that they didn't like the show. He also talked about the Ellen mug that he received from her, and that the "Ellen" logo washed off. Obviously Ellen knew about this beforehand, because she presented him with a new mug, a plate with her face in the middle of it, and a wine glass with her face on the bottom. Jim was very pleased and amused.

Also, they showed a clip from next week's show. I try very hard not to be spoiled at all as to what's upcoming, so I was a bit annoyed. (I'm weird that way.)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

Couldn't you FF the preview clip? That's what I do when I don't want to see it (like for a movie I'm planning on seeing the next day).

I've never been to Cheesecake Factory-I don't think they have them here. I thought it was just a dessert place until BBT taught me otherwise.

Edited by braggtastic, Jan 15, 2010 @ 12:24 PM.

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

I recorded Ellen's show to see Jim Parsons. I only watched his part. Of course he was adorable, but I enjoy his appearances on Craig Ferguson's show much more. Anyway, he talked about his family in Houston watching the show together every week and calling him afterwards almost all the time, but when they don't, he worries that they didn't like the show. He also talked about the Ellen mug that he received from her, and that the "Ellen" logo washed off. Obviously Ellen knew about this beforehand, because she presented him with a new mug, a plate with her face in the middle of it, and a wine glass with her face on the bottom. Jim was very pleased and amused.

Yeah, I saw it. It was far too short. But now I kind of want to look for clips of Mariah Carey winning her award at the PCA's on Youtube because Jim said that he is in all of them because he was sitting right in front of her. I never noticed and I was even watching that part of the PCA's while waiting for his category to come up. He seemed a bit fanboy-ish about Ellen and just seeing all the stars at the PCA's in general. It's pretty cute because so many celebrities are so jaded about that sort of thing, but Jim truly seems to be enjoying all of this fame and kind of in awe of the world that he's in now. He really seems like a lovely person based on the interviews I've seen him do (and, I agree, that the Craig Ferguson ones are definitely the best).

ETA - haha, I just looked and he totally is in the Mariah Carey clip - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CFbSigq1hco

Edited by SwtSassyMolassy, Jan 15, 2010 @ 2:35 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 4:01 PM

Thanks for finding that clip. I was too lazy to look it up. He doesn't look as goofy as he suggested on Ellen.

Couldn't you FF the preview clip? That's what I do when I don't want to see it (like for a movie I'm planning on seeing the next day).

I normally do that, but I just got sucked in by curiosity. It really wasn't a huge spoiler, but I do like to be completely surprised.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

On other fronts, I too enjoyed the pilot far more on rewatch. The first time I saw it (when the series premiered) I decided I didn't like the show, and didn't catch it again until the 2nd season. I think the pilot gave me the impression that the show would be mocking the guys (what with the pantsing and all) instead of, well, celebrating them in all their nerdiness. Once I learned the true BBT, I've been able to catch up on what I missed (and am clearly in an extra BBT mood today).

I now make it a rule to give shows the pilot PLUS an episode before making a decision, since pilots are filmed so far in advance.

The pilot is definitely better enjoyed once you've seen more of the series. I first saw it after I had watched a bunch of the series already and thought it was great, then was confused when I looked way back to the start of the topic when everyone was saying "This show is bad! Ick!" based on the pilot. I looked back and took another look at the pilot trying to view it as if I had never seen the show before, and to be honest, it really isn't that great of an episode if you haven't already been introduced to the characters. Ironic, huh?

Xellos

Xellos

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

One is that their initial, pilot-episode reaction to each other indicated a pleasant awareness of the other. Sheldon's shy eye-thing really does indicate a "gawrsh gee" reception of her approval of his being a Beautiful Mind scientist. And Penny, when she sat on the sofa and he told her it was his spot, was downright flirtatious when she said, "You could come sit by me." Which is NOT to say that either immediately thought of the other as a sexual conquest--just that neither did they think, "Yuck!"

I think that was just Sheldon's happiness at being compared to a scientist he admired that much (and identifying with the archetype being described). This episode illustrated, again, Sheldon's lack of sexual urges - it was pretty clear that at no point during either evening did he show the slightest awareness of or interest in anything sexual. They've been portraying him as genuinely asexual, and I think it's a pretty convincing portrayal.

I totally agree with you on their relationship as friends - I definitely feel like Penny's friendship with Sheldon is one of the building blocks of the show - but I can't envision any eventual sexual attraction on Sheldon's part because he simply doesn't work that way. It might be entertaining if Penny developed an attraction, though (you know she'd be all "oh my god, what the hell is wrong with me").

I didn't like this episode all that much, mostly because of the Penny/Leonard stuff. I actually sympathize with Leonard's point of view - as a hardcore atheist/rationalist, I would have a hard time dating anyone who was seriously into stuff like psychics and made a big deal about it - but he acted like a complete asshole about it and I spent most of the episode pissed off at him as a result. It's one thing to think your girlfriend is into something that's absolute bullshit - it's another thing entirely to mock her for it, loudly, in front of mutual friends. It was completely unacceptable behavior and she had every right to be furious at him.

As much as it was played for the standard "better fix this or your hand is your new girlfriend" laugh, though, this really is the kind of thing that will hurt their long-term prospects. We've seen repeatedly how much Penny is bothered by the idea that Leonard doesn't respect her brains, and while they've mostly pushed the idea that this is her being insecure, he really doesn't respect her on this issue, nor do I see a possibility that he will without a fundamental attitude change in one of them (unlikely). And there is a real difference between "oh, you're just into theater instead of math" and "you're into something that is fundamentally anathema to the way I view the world". As much of an ass as Leonard was this episode, his speech to Howard did have a point.

Also: can we have Leonard stop making "oh my god, I'm going on a date with a real girl" comments at this point? I understand that from HOWARD (who has been surprisingly non-obnoxious with Bernadette - I really like them together), but at this stage in Leonard and Penny's relationship I think he should be beyond that.

Anyone else feel like they're setting Leonard and Penny up to break up by the end of the season?

Edited by Xellos, Jan 16, 2010 @ 2:43 AM.

GBB

GBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

Anyone else feel like they're setting Leonard and Penny up to break up by the end of the season?

From your mouth to Chuck Lorre's ears.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 3:06 AM

I hope not, I've been writing to say keep them together.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

I loved the scene at the beginning where Raj is begging Sheldon to go outside with him.

Sheldon: "If outside is so good, why has mankind spent thousands of years perfecting inside?"

Raj: "I don't know, marketing scheme?"

And the "wtf?" look Sheldon gives him is hilarious!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jan 16, 2010 @ 11:55 AM.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 12:59 PM

Life imitates art once again. The Mars Rover is stuck. Did Howard bring another date to the lab?

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 11:37 PM

I could see them deciding to break Leonard/Penny up, but I hope if they decide to do so, they recognize that this would make it harder for viewers to root for them in the future (I mean, the viewers who root for them now, anyway!) Unresolved Sexual Tension is such an EASY way to add interest in a series, and yet it's one of the hardest things to resolve successfully -- I believe a relationship can play well, with skilled writers (see Lily & Marshall, in HIMYM), but it's nowhere as easy to steer the train as to start it moving, if ya' know what I mean.

If Penny & Leonard are together for another year, two at the outside, then the characters (and thus the writers) will seriously have to consider the "where is this relationship going?" question (which really can hit anytime after the first six months, depending on the lovers involved). Do we really envision a future proposal from Leonard, or acceptance from Penny? A season of them being engaged??? The other option is to break them up, either temporarily (one of those on-again, off-again TV relationships that start to really piss viewers off) or permanently, ending in our main trio as Just Friends, ala Three's Company or Two Guys and a Girl. And usually those Just Friends shows start off that way too, as do the Serious Commitment that Works shows (in addition to L&M of HIMYM, I'd add Mad About You and Dharma & Greg, which really was brilliant for a season or two). The energy changes when you move a couple into a relationship (be it Serious Commitment or even Platonic Friends). Does BBT want to change the energy in either direction?

That's one reason that, though I hope for something eventually with Sheldon (not all genius geeks must spend loveless lives, and assexuality need not be a permanent condition), be it with Penny or someone equally worthy, I wouldn't want TPTB to rush it.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 12:01 AM

I could see Leonard and Penny getting engaged down the road, not for a few more seasons but I could see it. I think it would be bad for the series if Sheldon wasn't asexual, it bring a lot of comedy to the show.

And your right not all geeks have to have loveless lives and not all do, look at Leonard or Howard. But some do and I think Sheldon is one of them.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 12:04 AM

If I had to say, I'd hope they break up and become friends like Jerry and Elaine on Seinfeld. But, honestly, I'll trust the writers, they haven't let me down yet.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 1:32 AM

If they did break up it would be disappointing but I wouldn't stop watching. I think I also trust the writers here, who are another example of how broad one can be, writing for TBBT and Two and a Half Men.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

I grew up just 20 miles outside of Bozeman, MT – it really is a pretty awesome place! Sheldon’s coat looked a whole lot like a woman’s coat!

“I do not have to urinate” – oh, man, do I know that feeling! Not that I barricade the door, but I just get all comfy and … there’s that feeling. Only I don’t say “drat.” But I can't imagine Sheldon saying "shit!"

I loved “Knockx3 LeonardandPenny” – but I especially loved how Penny caught herself before she opened the door the second time!

How did Sheldon not catch that Penny was full on sitting in his spot?

You know, when I enjoy watching someone watch tv on an iPhone, give that man a friggin’ award!! And I wonder how many times they had to do the scene where he rattled off all the video games?

Weird how as Howard becomes more likeable, Leonard becomes more sour.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:04 PM.

SwtSassyMolassy

SwtSassyMolassy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Ha! Sheldon thinks of Penny, Raj & Leonard as his close friends and Howard as a "treasured acquaintance". Obviously we were supposed to think Penny was the "treasured acquaintance" just like the time Sheldon had to pick a friend in the group to ditch so he could fit in Kripke, but he always picks her. I'm not a shipper by any stretch of the imagination (although I'm sure the shippers are happy about that), but I find it very cute that he considers Penny a close friend over one of the guys who's been in his group for longer than he's known her. Probably reading too much into it though since the writers were most likely just going for the easy joke there.

Good episode overall, although I do find it completely unrealistic that a fourth floor walk-up apartment would get robbed over ones on the 1st or 2nd floor. Of course, if the writers went with what is realistic, I guess we wouldn't get a show.

Edited by SwtSassyMolassy, Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:06 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

although I do find it completely unrealistic that a fourth floor walk-up apartment would get robbed over ones on the 1st or 2nd floor. Of course, if the writers went with what is realistic, I guess we wouldn't get a show.

Not that it matters, since the robbery will probably never be mentioned again, but I assumed it was someone that knew they had all those electronics and games. Or someone who knows they're geeks and assumed they had electronics and games.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jan 18, 2010 @ 11:08 PM.

GBB

GBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

Tonight's episode was okay, but it played right into my fears that Chuck Lorre is going to end up turning Sheldon into a version of Alan from Two and Half Men.

clintster

clintster

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

When Sheldon mentioned Boone, NC as a possible relocation spot, my ears perked up as did my wife's. I grew up around Boone and we met there. It got even more interesting as he mentioned the drama about Dan'l Boone ("Horn In The West" is its name), as my wife and I actually worked on the show and fell in love there. By the time he hit the punch line, we were rolling. "Horn" is an okay show, depending on the year, but the fact that it was indirectly referenced on one of our favorite shows made our night.

In case you're interested in finding out what Sheldon was referring to, here's a link:

http://www.horninthewest.com/