Top Chef Merchandise

• Please log in to reply

55 replies to this topic

musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

I StumbledUpon this last night after Episode 3 and haven't seen anyone mention it here, but apparently Hung and several other TC characters have their own t-shirts? http://neighborhoodi...66.html?ref=339

Does anyone know anything about this? I've never seen a show sell shirts with lines of dialogue or contestants while a season was still unfolding. Admittedly, some of them are pretty funny (like the giant Tom head or the Bourdain line from the first episode) but they should have a hotter Padma shirt.

Kolohe

Kolohe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

I recall that they did something like this for Top Design while it was still airing.

musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

Neat, I was unaware... When you say "they did something like this" do you mean Neighborhoodies or Bravo?

gingernuts

gingernuts

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 4:09 PM

Oh my god -- I got way too excited about these shirts when I saw them. I'm frightened at how much I think about this show.

Mochalatte

Mochalatte

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Oh, that is so cool. I've never seen them before besides homemade ones. They're neat.
I'd totally order some if I had money.

Though it astonishes me that they don't have a C.P.A. one. I'd think that would be the first shirt-able phrase of the season.

mr nitro pb

mr nitro pb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 10:32 PM

Nothing like the smell of CAD letter fresh from the lawyers office...

musiclikedirt

musiclikedirt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2007 @ 5:19 PM

it astonishes me that they don't have a C.P.A. one

So true!... Maybe they'll get a CAD for the CPA.

Soy Sauce

Soy Sauce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 1:39 PM

Anyone know if they're planning to do quotes from the previous seasons as well? I'd imagine "I'm not your bitch, bitch" would be a quick seller.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 1:49 PM

I'd imagine "I'm not your bitch, bitch" would be a quick seller.

Top Chef "Bitch" Shirt

ChachiH

ChachiH

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 3:35 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is CPA and CAD?

pinklemonade

pinklemonade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 3:49 PM

CAD = Cease and Desist

Drawing a blank on the CPA quote.

twelvety

twelvety

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 4:57 PM

Drawing a blank on the CPA quote.

I think it's referring to Hung declaring himself a Certified Professional Asshole.

eurp

eurp

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 1:14 AM

I was just wondering if anyone thinks there will be any DVDs of Top Chef. It may not be quite up to Project Runway's popularity but I think there would be a fair number of "Foodies" who would buy one set.

Lexistential

Lexistential

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 4:12 PM

I probably wouldn't buy Top Chef DVDs- I keep my episodes on the DVR. Hee.

However, I've bought related merchandise as a result of Top Chef- Tom Colicchio's "Think Like A Chef" cookbook and Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential".

Ptzop

Ptzop

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 4:21 PM

There are no DVDs, as far as I know, but you can download the episodes from Amazon.com for $2 each. I think you can watch those Amazon downloads on TiVo, if you have one.

I'd like to see Season 1 on DVD - I've only ever seen the last episode, Bravo doesn't tend to marathon it, and it MUST have been better than Season 2.

Lexistential

Lexistential

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

I'd like to see Season 1 on DVD - I've only ever seen the last episode, Bravo doesn't tend to marathon it, and it MUST have been better than Season 2.

I was lucky to catch a marathon, and the Season 1 cast was terrific to watch- I like them much more than Season 2. It was actually quite sweet to see its humble start without Padma Lakshmi or Miami's current giant Top Chef kitchen- the facilities were humble, and Katie Lee Joel... well, she's nicknamed "Bot" for some pretty accurate reasons. Hope you check it out!

A Ham Sandwich

A Ham Sandwich

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

I would buy a Season 1 Top Chef DVD set in a heartbeat. I'm in the same boat as Ptzop, where I've seen very little of season one. TC is "The Number 1 Food Show on Television" (according to Bravo), and has been Emmy nominated. Doesn't make sense to me that they haven't released a DVD set yet.

The Ape

The Ape

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 12:42 PM

Maybe they're waiting. I mean, given the choice, who'd buy Season 2? So perhaps they're going to package the first two seasons together--if you want Season 1, you have to buy the craptastic second season.

Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 12:43 PM

Doesn't make sense to me that they haven't released a DVD set yet.

They're probably holding off to maximize their ad revenue in repeats on Bravo.

Now if/when they offer DVDs, I know I'm going to be particularly dubious as to the second season and which versions of the re-edited episodes will be used.

Isomalt

Isomalt

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 3:02 PM

Doesn't make sense to me that they haven't released a DVD set yet.
They're probably holding off to maximize their ad revenue in repeats on Bravo.

Now if/when they offer DVDs, I know I'm going to be particularly dubious as to the second season and which versions of the re-edited episodes will be used.

Seasons 1 & 2 as well as all current episodes of Season 3 are available on iTunes. In fact, that's how I watched the first two seasons - I started on episode 1 of Season 3, got hooked, and then bought all of Season 2. I just bought Season 1 last week and just finished it today, although I haven't watched the reunion ep all the way through; I shut it off when Ken was yelling at Tom about sand.

The downside to these purchases is that there are no extras when you buy from iTunes - no special features, bloopers, deleted scenes, etc. But that's just iTunes - it's the same with movies and regular teevee shows.

Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 3:11 PM

There could easily be contractual clauses with iTunes (or some other party) that limits a DVD release for a period of time.

mr nitro pb

mr nitro pb

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

Go ahead and purchase your TC iTunes shows while you can. Apple and NBC just severed their deal, and as Bravo is owned by it seems they will not be there much longer. December, I think.
Maybe that will push them to burn out some DVD's.

Edited by mr nitro pb, Sep 10, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2007 @ 8:28 PM

Can I just say that I find it top bullshit that you can't get a friggin TC shirt in 3XL? If you're a well endowed gal you don't want to strangle the girls, and while a 2XL is okay, I find that no matter what you do they do eventually shrink. It sucks. I live with the fact that I'm not petite (which has drawbacks of it's own) but geez, what's a bigger gal to do?

I do find it very very very odd about no dvd release since PR has done single season releases. There's a whole bunch o flicks I'll wait a lifetime for (Little Dorrit, A Matter Of Life And Death) but they should have struck while the iron was hot. I suppose maybe after last season's debacle of nastiness they thought to hold off til they had a next season of decent folk to outweigh them besides the first season.

KTngirl2006

KTngirl2006

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

I don't understand why there are no dvds. Top Chef is popular. I would imagine it would bring in Bravo some good money. I would buy them. Hopefully they will put in some unaired stuff and maybe behind the scenes stuff.

Irischano

Irischano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 6, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

I would love some DVD's. This show reruns amazingly well for a reality series.

Meadra

Meadra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2008 @ 12:08 PM

During last night's broadcast, they advertised a Top Chef cookbook. I found it in stock at Amazon even though it's not technically not out for another week.

porkchop1

porkchop1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

I did order and receive a Top Chef baseball cap to add to my collection of caps that include NY Rangers and NY Yankees.

DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2008 @ 9:48 AM

I work in a bookstore and got a look at the Top Chef cookbook. (How firm is next week's release date? Because our suppliers didn't seem to think it was not yet released).

Anyway, it is pretty awesome. Very big, glossy, colorful, with bios and information about many of the contestants and all of the judges. The recipes are divided by category. There is also some interesting information about the show, like what kind of food is kept stocked in the kitchen, and a diagram of the layout of the kitchen. I didn't get to read it thoroughly, since I was on the clock, but I'll definitely have to take a closer look when I have time.

CybrczchNE

CybrczchNE

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

My copy of the Top Chef cookbook came yesterday (direct from Bravo). A few quick thoughts...

1) Lots of winning quickfire and elimination round recipes from all three seasons, along with a few runners up, and one winning recipe from Season 4 - no names mentioned but its from episode 7.

2) I'm going to make the most expensive dish of macaroni and cheese I've ever had, thanks to Dave

3) Colicchio talking about a chef he knows 'who worked in only a T-shirt and jockstrap' - and why am I mentally adding Dale's head to the picture? Yeah, wishful thinking...

4) The pictures of the pantry - all those condiments and spices, and the labels all nicely obscured so I can't tell what kind of soy sauce they're using. Although I was so GLA... er, happy, that the food wrap, sandwich bags, and storage containers were easily identifiable... (gotta love product placement)

Edited by CybrczchNE, Mar 16, 2008 @ 9:27 PM.

Thundercat

Thundercat

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2008 @ 11:36 PM

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the Top Chef cookbook today at the Int'l Housewares Show happening in Chicago right now. Very, very nicely done in my opinion. It has a canvas slipcover, great graphics and photos, overall top notch printing job.

The contents are equally enticing ~ a wonderful mix of behind-the-scenes info, cast & judge bios, season and episode recaps, excerpts from some of the notable blogs ~ all in addition to the recipes.

I've only had time to skim so far, but at first glance it is astoundingly well put together. Very nicely edited and the writing exhibits a very healthy sense of humor regarding the show, the process, the participants, and the Top Chef phenomena. Count me as very pleasantly surprised and pleased with it!