1-4: "His Visit: Day Three" 2007.07.01 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

138 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 8:46 AM

From Zap2It:

Some thugs rough up John; Kai connects with Butchie; Dr. Smith gets a new patient; Shaun's mother arrives in Imperial Beach.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

"I'm here on orders from my bird"-- Too funny!

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

It's beginning to appear that Bill will serve as the show's resident monologuist. I love finally being able to vaguely see where this show's heading. All the characters are slowly realizing what they may be happening at their own pace. It's looking like they may even be planting the seeds for Linc to have an epiphany. I'm not quite sure why Cass, of all people, got to have a vision this week, but I'm willing to roll with it.

Would anyone mind summarizing the gist of Bill's story about the sequence of events involving him and Butchie? I had trouble following that since it was all in Milch-speak.

Edited by lynch, Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:33 PM.

Harvardlsd

Harvardlsd

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Butchie & Kai = Big Mistake

they're going to ruin their friendship, and their brother/sister like relationship. plus: zero chemistry.
Butchie is going to break her heart. She is in love with him.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

I'm not quite sure why Cass, of all people, got have a vision this week, but I'm willing to roll with it.

She slept with Mitch and he passed something onto her?

Beckster

Beckster

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:37 PM

I am shallow so I am loving this show...hee hee hee...being stuck in a totally red state..I love the California sterotypes...jumped by a vato...how everyone just kinda accepts the visions etc..(only done here on Sundays in a tongue talking church..okay wednesday nites too)..I agree the surfer chick is in love with Butchie..

Mitch...dude what a tool...he is the McDreamy of the show...self involved much?
So everything comes back to him?

Anyhow...I really like it & I'm lovin Sundays...first my favorite husband swappin threesome BigLove & then John from Cinn....it makes missing Tony a bit easier

Edited by Wing Chun, Jul 3, 2007 @ 11:35 AM.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

Poor Shaunie! I'll be his friend! I won't make jokes about his near death.

Butchie & Kai = Big Mistake

they're going to ruin their friendship, and their brother/sister like relationship. plus: zero chemistry.
Butchie is going to break her heart. She is in love with him.

Yeah, it's rather obvious that it's going to end badly, but still, how sweet is Butchie Yost? My roommate, who's never seen an episode of this show and has no clue what's going on, walked in right when Butchie and Kai were snuggling in her trailer, and she actually sighed and said, "I wish I had someone to cuddle with me." What saves Butchie is this his inherent sweetness, because he is a decent man despite his numerous flaws. Also, he's not father of the year material, but his concern for John was adorable. The hand holding was adorable. The banter was adorable. The painful yearning of "In Your Eyes," which will always be associated with the painful yearning of "Say Anything," was adorable but devastatingly nostalgic. Junior prom is over, but unfortunately Kai's still caught up in what might have been.

Kai is apparently a member of the Carrie Bradshaw school of nightwear. No real girl sleeps in a bra! They're uncomfortable as hell, and leaves the most unsightly marks. And they're really, really uncomfortable.

All the characters are slowly realizing what they may be happening at their own pace. It's looking like they may even be planting the seeds for Linc to have an epiphany.

I'm suddenly very, very curious about where this is going in regard to Linc. Can't remember who said it, but he is the freaking devil and he *knows* it. I think that's what's scariest, how he revels in his evil. He's already been kicked out of Heaven, ala, being booted out of the Yost inner circle and destroying the purity of surfing, so now he's wreaking havoc on what's left as his revenge; he even has Michael the Archangel fighting against him in the form of Dr. Michael Smith. Maybe Milch is going for a Miltonesque vision with this one?

Again interupted by freaking company -- who are now banned from showing up on my doorstep until the "Entourage" opening credits roll.

Edited by Lila82, Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:53 PM.

ptuscadero

ptuscadero

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 10:05 PM

Would anyone mind summarizing the gist of Bill's story about the sequence of events involving him and Butchie? I had trouble following that since it was all in Milch-speak.

I dunno, but I think Zippy is the new Chief.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 10:22 PM

I don't know why, after living in the place for years, Bill has suddenly decided to protect his head from his own spiral staircase with duct tape. Somebody else is going to fall on it and the duct tape will be their salvation!

Shaunie can exhibit his grandma's temper, apparently. Smart of her to tumble onto the press guys, but you're just gonna get them mad, Cissy.

I love Dr. Smith, and Freddie, and loved the Bill/Freddie stuff. I have no idea what Zippy was doing this week; maybe making his master go sit with Freddie was his punishment for making Zip stay in his pocket for like three hours.

I wasn't expecting Butchie and Kai, and how could they have been at the same junior prom? They're not the same age, are they?

Since the eppy description gave it away, I knew Porsche lady was Shaun's mom. Why is she letting him live like that when she obviously has dough?

Didn't like the Cass/Mitch affair, although it did put a stop to Mitch's grumbling for a little while. And adultery seems to bring out his levitating again. At least another non-crazy (although kinda whorish) person saw it.

That poor sidekick (what's his name?) will never get to see the doctor about his wrist, will he?

ETA: Cissy/Cassie, hmmm.

Edited by Caroma, Jul 1, 2007 @ 10:23 PM.

langdon

langdon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

I need to watch through one more time and process, because there was a lot of major stuff going on in this episode.

How many disciples are we up to now? Bill, Kai, Ramon, Dickstein, Cunningham, Vietnam Joe, Freddy, Freddy's henchman whose name I can't remember, Dr. Smith, and now Cass (Mary Magdalene???) Or is that Mary Magdelene in the preview for next week? My head's done in trying to figure out who is supposed to be whom, biblically speaking.

Man. Poor Kai. Who hasn't been there?? I can't decide who owned me tonight...one minute it's Bill, then it's Dr. Smith, then it's Butchie and his super-duper metal detecting tongue!

be∑a∑tif∑ic /bee-uh-tif-ik] Ė adjective

1. bestowing bliss, blessings, happiness, or the like: beatific peace.
2. blissful; saintly: a beatific smile.

óRelated forms
be∑a∑tif∑i∑cal∑ly, adverb

óSynonyms
serene, exalted, angelic, rapturous.

Next time I look this up in the dictionary, I expect to see a photo of Shaunie Yost.

Harry7045

Harry7045

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

If this is another biblical allegorical attempt by HBO, I'll pass. This is getting old and trite.

langdon

langdon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:22 PM

I really liked Carnivale and hated the way that HBO just pulled the rug out from under me (us) with its abrupt cancellation, but for me there's no comparison between that show and this one. In my mind, Carnivale was a show with biblical overtones in that there was the perception of demonic and angelic forces at work, but I always perceived it to be a pretty basic good vs. evil story at heart.

JFC is shaping up (again, in my mind) to be a true biblical allegory and it's fascinating to try to put it all together. I love that I have no idea what's going to happen next. The more I watch this show, the more I regret not ever watching Deadwood, if only because the world of Milch is such an interesting and oddly wonderful place to be.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:53 PM

One thing in defense of this show: the plot IS moving forward. It may not be moving forward in the most completely rational or easily to understand way, but a lot of ground has been covered about these relationships.

Someone asked about Butchie/Bill upthread: When Bill first arrested Butchie, Lois reminded him that Butchie helped her with groceries so he went easy on him. That was the foundation of the Yost/Bill relationship.

However, Mitch is still annoying the hell out of me.

Edited by jjfc, Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:54 PM.

typoii

typoii

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

Holy F!ing Sh*t! That was fantastic. More to follow after I watch it a couple times more.

TedSez

TedSez

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 11:57 PM

Okay, so the Bible's got a lot of boring parts too, what with all the "begat"s and family trees. So I suppose an entire episode of a show that mainly depicts a bunch of people wandering around looking for other people could have larger meaning, too.

But, come on, we get it! They're disciples. Okay. All very different and very peculiar folks, despite the fact that they all talk the same. (A mix of "Deadwood" Shakespeare, "NYPD Blue" tough-guyisms and SoCal blather.) And they've either found Jesus or are waiting for Godot. (Or maybe, as in "Lost," we don't find out until season 7.)

Still, I have to say I'm liking this show. Why? I don't know Butchie, instead. Maybe because the best line I've heard on any TV show this year is "I'm here on orders from my bird."

Nanuq

Nanuq

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:06 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how John was able to use Vietnam Joe to heal himself that way. Was I the only one half expecting John to do a Carnevale and kill/drain Joe to heal himself? Did Joe just seem to be a little crazier afterwards?

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:10 AM

Bill, first speaking to Zippy talked about how he came to be involved with the Yosts. It seems that at age 10 Butchie used to help Billís wife Lois with her groceries (so they live on the same street). Years later Bill came home and told Lois about a kid he collared or otherwise came into “professional contact” (I wasn't really clear on the specifics) and she said, “I wonder if thatís the same sweet Yost boy that used to help me with my groceries?” This prompted Bill to cut Butchie some slack and befriend the family.

But after that narration/bird conversation, it seemed like Bill was speaking directly to Lois, when he said something like, “children or no, you were the joy of my life”.

Bill is my favorite character. It appears he communicates on many levels, with Zippy and with Lois. Never having seen another Milch project, it did take me a rewind to figure out what the conversation between Bill and Freddy was about though, the dialogue is unique to me.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:16 AM.

sacoha

sacoha

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:16 AM

I am going to have to put captions on during a second viewing to understand all of that, but thanks Cosmocrush. I don't understand why Cass had the vision either; she's so blank, but maybe that's why she's a good receiver. And were we supposed to understand "Cass needs a place to work"? What was she going to do in the chaired-off section of the room with all those towels? Clean John up?

I did mean Cass - I'm confused but not that confused. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by sacoha, Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:45 AM.

DuchessKitty

DuchessKitty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:31 AM

This show makes my brain hurt.
Why can't I stop watching it?!

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:32 AM

And were we supposed to understand "Cissy needs a place to work"? What was she going to do in the chaired-off section of the room with all those towels? Clean John up?

I think you meant "Cass" because isn't Cissy the grandmother? Anyway, John knew that Cass needed a place to work before she actually got fired. The vision brought her to the hotel to pick John up, but what her role is, well I have no idea.

langdon

langdon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:44 AM

I am going to have to put captions on during a second viewing to understand all of that, but thanks Cosmocrush. I don't understand why Cissy had the vision either; she's so blank, but maybe that's why she's a good receiver. And were we supposed to understand "Cissy needs a place to work"? What was she going to do in the chaired-off section of the room with all those towels? Clean John up?

I was wondering that very thing, actually. There were a LOT of towels in the scene, so I wonder if this was a penitential "cleansing of the feet" so to speak. Or perhaps a baptism (as I'm still operating under the assumption that JFC might be John the Baptist. Definitely a prophet, no?). The last shot of Cass in that scene is of her knealing, so...it could be either. Or neither. As I said earlier, I'm going to watch it again because I feel like there was just so much going on metaphorically, or maybe it's all starting to make some weird sort of sense? I dunno. I officially love it, though.

Edited by langdon, Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:45 AM.

piperyoung

piperyoung

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:53 AM

Until last week's episode I wasnt a fan of the show, yet I watched. I havent seen anything else Milch's done, so it is taking me some time to catch up. Was Deadwood this hard to follow?

This week knocked me into full fan mode though. Vietnam Joe (reminiscing about leaving a fellow soldier behind in Nam), Palaka, Sad-Eyed Doctor, Freddie, the body language between Butchia & Kai at Bill's house, And Bill! Bill! Bill!

Who knocks on a door and says their own name? *knock knock knock* "Bill Jacks!" HA! Who does that? ME, from now on, thats who, baby!

"We got a position for a house physician?"
"Was this playin the first time I threw up on you?"
"I better have a good health plan"
"That is senseless and offensive"
"I got a lizard changes shapes" "Chameleons they call 'em"
"Here on orders from my bird"
"He conveyed - I never said he spoke"

No idea what the hell was up with the towels and Cass "working" on one side of the room. What kind of work does she have to do?

Say-Eyed Doctor. "Catalogue?" "Uh... Cadillac?, Well, sometimes..." Aside from Bill & Freddie, he is a favorite of mine. I find it very interesting that everyone refers to him as "physician". Who calls their doctor that anymore?

Bill has no inner thoughts. Everything is external.

I enjoyed this episode the most out of any so far... could it be because of the lack of Mitch and Cissy? I say yes.

Edited by piperyoung, Jul 2, 2007 @ 12:59 AM.

sallyrover

sallyrover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 2:15 AM

I think the reason that Cass had her vision was connected to what was going on at the same time between John amd Vietnam Joe, when John makes Joe pull over, places Joe's hand on his wounds, and tells him "you can help." I think that both Joe and Cass have something dark in their past that has made them think they were "bad" or unworthy, and John has just lifted that off both of them. (Just like Cass "seeing God" affected several others). For Joe, this past burden is his Vietnam experience of leaving a man behind, which has him trapped in an emotional loop that has given him a hardened image and the need to "roll a fattie" from time to time and drink at the VFW hall. For Cass, it seems like it might be something that Linc knows about and emotionally exploits to manipulate her (place your bets on how many episodes before THAT mystery gets solved. I'm going with one!). Whatever it was, it sure wasn't as heavy as Vietnam Joe's trauma, which is why "tomorrow is another day" for him to get his head around what is happening.

Interesting that the piss-ant devil Linc's main tactics are flattery and trying to mind-fuck everyone and make them feel like "losers" or "hanger-ons." Loved how the "physician" introduced himself as Micheal Smith (not doctor--those days are over--now he really is a PHYSICIAN, in the spiritual meaning of the word) and as posted so well upthread, became Archangel Michael, confronting and putting Linc in his place. Loved his "blood in the water" snark-down on him. Linc is the ultimate wanna-be, and a coward to boot, laying his mean spirited bummer out on Cass through a closed door.

caroma--the duct tape and bubble wrap on Bill's spiral staircase has been there since episode one, but Butchie's gestures to Kai are what made me wonder--especially when he draws his hand across his neck like someone's throat was cut--Lois? Did Bill bash his head against the staircase in his grief? Did Bill try to kill himself? When Bill "talks" to Lois, he looks up the staircase--is that to heaven, or to the place where she died that he is scared to go?

sacoha--my take on "Cass needs a job" is two-fold--that John knew that Linc had fired her, and that she was also going to have some job amidst the "apostles." That might involve a big stack of towels.

I was spooked out by the first image, of John by the radio array the "elephant cage"--medium distance away, up close, and then quite far away, each in a blink, as if he could project himself though space and time. I'm obsessed with that thing though.

Another edit that struck me is that when Kai and Butchie are walking on the pier, there's a shot of a seagull above, then Butchie says that this is where John first asked him what he wanted, and Kai says "should we put up a plaque?" The Holy Spirit is usually represented as a bird, and this show has certainly got a flock of them. The Holy Spirit is the strangest part of the Holy Trinity--the energy that manifests the will and "gifts" of God but is still distinct and transcendent from the "Father" and "Son." I consider Zippy to not so much be a miracle bird, but a point of manifestation of that energy. I suspect that the "Apostles" will start showing even more of "the gifts of the spirit," which include healing, resurrection, distiguishing of spirits (like the one in room 24), prophecy, the ability to withstand the mortifications of the flesh (even when their pussies feel like they've been in a George Forman grill), and speaking in tongues. (Oh, that's right--it's a Milch show, so there's plenty of speaking in tongues from the get go! Another gift of the spirit is "interpretation of tongues"--which is where this TWOP forum comes in, fellow disciples!)

I "liked" Mitch better when he was a bitter, grumbling Narcissist over his newly-laid, self-important "years of spiritual discipline" pompous New Age windbag! Loved when Cass kicked him out so that she could move John in--and when John "parted like the Red Sea" to let him!

"Bill is not Freddy's first Bill. Freddy is not Bill's first Freddy." So, Bill is serving up coffee and donuts to Freddy because he was dispatched by his bird, but is "the Hawaiian" in Imperial Beach "on his own dime" on orders from his shape shifting lizard? More than a chameleon changed their colors in this episode! And hopefully a couple few more tv viewing disciples...

Edited by sallyrover, Aug 10, 2007 @ 4:27 PM.

piperyoung

piperyoung

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 4:05 AM

Linc is staying in hotel room 231.

Snug Harbor hotel's room 24 is haunted.

2+3+1 = 6
2+4 = 6

6 6 6 (the 3rd six is yet to be revealed)

discuss.

typoii

typoii

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 4:47 AM

Michael Smith anagrams to "A Milch Theism", "Him! Alchemist!", "Mimics Health" and "Milch Atheism", hmmm...

And "Physician Michael Smith" anagrams to "A Physic in a Milch Theism"

And the promo site johnmonad.com returns hits for the search term "anagram" suggesting Milch is up to a little letter-play in naming characters.

One more anagram: Mitchell Yost = "Milch, Yet Lost"

Edited by typoii, Jul 2, 2007 @ 5:14 AM.

AlwaysConfused

AlwaysConfused

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 7:27 AM

caroma--the duct tape and bubble wrap on Bill's spiral staircase has been there since episode one, but Butchie's gestures to Kai are what made me wonder--especially when he draws his hand across his neck like someone's throat was cut--Lois? Did Bill bash his head against the staircase in his grief? Did Bill try to kill himself? When Bill "talks" to Lois, he looks up the staircase--is that to heaven, or to the place where she died that he is scared to go?

I assumed Lois died because she banged her head against the staircase. Didn't Butchie sign/mouth that to Kai? "Wife, dead?"

I really hate Mitch and his 'spiritual enlightenment'. Shut up, Mitch. You're a total dick. His reactions to Shaunie's almost death and resurrection were completely selfish as was his returning to Cissy after banging Cassie. How stupid is Cissy to put up with his bullshit?

I am so in love with Garret Dillahunt, Ed O'Neill and Dayton Callie, any scene with them is great! I'm not feeling this like I did Deadwood yet, because I'm missing an emotional connection. So far only Bill and the Doc have moved me in some way. But there is a lot of possibility. I think I could really get to love Kai and Butchie.

But mainly I watch because it makes me laugh. "You have an erection....Jesus Christ."

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 8:56 AM

I am so in love with Garret Dillahunt, Ed O'Neill and Dayton Callie, any scene with them is great! I'm not feeling this like I did Deadwood yet, because I'm missing an emotional connection. So far only Bill and the Doc have moved me in some way. But there is a lot of possibility. I think I could really get to love Kai and Butchie.

I am certainly getting the Deadwood vibe on this show. Not just because we are up to another Deadwoodian introduced in the show (the guy who played Hugo Jarry) but because of the tenacious dialogue. I guess this is the HBO ensemble cast.

I am starting to like this show...

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

I have known from other stuff that Ed O'Neill is more than Al Bundy, but heck, he's kicking some ass and taking some names with his monologues. I could watch just for his scenes alone, and then? With Callie? Oh, me.

I wonder if they sound-effected the squawk of delight when Bill produced and presented an apple for Zippy. Nice bit of non-dialogue business.

"You have hardware in your box?" Hee. That's good writing, right there.

Of all the stilted language, I was most pleased by the use of 'poultice.' Seriously -- poultice?

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

I liked this show a lot better this week. But it still just makes me miss Deadwood so much. The dialogue is too much too soon.

The thing I find frustrating is that this show could so easily be soooo good. But the second coming is really boring without compeling characters and some form of actual conflict. The levels of acceptance of the miracles that keep happening is believeable with the characters. But not really all that interesting. Right now its just a lot of weird shit happening. And a bunch of people just roaming around reacting with varying levels of bewilerment. Which, may be what Milch is going for. But he is still trying to tell a story!

SOmeone suggested that what he is going for might be Miltonesque. which, I think sounds about right. But Milton made the same mistake. The Devil came off interesting. God came off dull. From all accounts not what he intended. Because characters with no real conflict are not compeling.

I liked Butchie a lot. The guy who just never grew up is a tired role but he makes it work. I love Bill and Vietnam Joe.

I like that you can see Cissy when she was younger. This beautiful blonde beach babe who has the best guy in town. And then life just keeps pushing her down. Mitch gets hurt, Butchie becomes an addict, care of his son falls to her etc. The undercurrent of loving and resenting her family is great.I find her shrillness incredibly believeable. But in the end... its still shrill. At least, she is the only one who seems to be really honestly affected by Shaunie's "death" on a personal level. She is the only one who seems to get that she lost someone she loves. And she can't process the miracle part, yet.

Mitch is so self-involved, its unbearable.

Edited by Betsyb, Jul 2, 2007 @ 9:43 AM.

Davism

Davism

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 9:49 AM

Any more complaints about Kai?

No?

Good..

I really can't pinpoint what I like about this show, I just know I can't look away. My heart, she breaks a little bit every time Bill talks to Lois. I thought Butchie was telling Kai that she fall and broke her neck.

What was Barry the Fairy talking about with the "partnership?"