The Bill Engvall Show: If You Think This Show Will Last, Here's Your Sign…

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

78 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

I saw an ad on TBS for this show last night. Now, I'm a bit of a fan of Bill Engvall, but the show itself seems like a generic family sitcom to me. I'll still probably check out the first couple of episodes, though. Anyone else have any thoughts? (Or for that matter, any bets on how long it takes him to break out the old "Here's your sign" bit? I'm betting before the credits even roll.)

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 9:53 AM

I will check it out only because I think he is hysterical. I listen to his stand up all the time on Sirius and he cracks me up. But I doubt the show will last too long.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 12:49 PM

You can watch clips on the TBS website. I've seen a bit of it and....I love Bill...think he's hilarious and sexy, but this show looks not good. I don't like Nancy Travis, sorry. It's kinda like the Jeff Foxworthy Show. I like Bill on Blue Collar TV, but carrying a TV show...nuh uh.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 3:53 PM

lmao, that thread title is perfect. I will probably check out a couple episodes, I love Bill Engvall's stand up. But it's not gonna last long.

arejay

arejay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 4:10 PM

He has a new "talk-song" out on country radio,"Just Shut-Up". Wonder if that is a tie-in to this show................

Yeah, viewed that clip. Let's see, the dum-dum blonde daughter, stoner-ish son, ridiculously precocious pre-teen....stop me if you've heard this one before..........

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 5:58 PM

I don't know about this. Bill Engvall does not strike me as someone who should carry a show. He's the guy that should be the next-door neighbor of the guy carrying the show.

I'd say that it won't last long but Rodney made it two seasons and TBS doesn't need the ratings to be too high so who knows.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

Just a reminder.............

First episode airs tonight.

Let's review:

Engvall's material does have potential for a good show.

Network execs will probably butt in and screw it up.

It's on TBS, so it doesn't have to be "Seinfeld"-good (Hell, it doesn't have to be "Listen Up"-good, which lasted a year).

Prognosis: It will last a year.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 3:07 PM

What pisses me off most is when they take a comedian's material and morph it into a TV show. Some shows can get past it to become really hilarious (Seinfeld and King of Queens spring to mind). I heard a commercial on the radio today in regards to "Since when did shrapnel become a fashion accessory?" and everyone who's a big Bill fan knows that's from his past comedy. If he and his kid on this show go to one of those Indian Guide things...I'm out. That's what killed the Jeff Foxworthy show too...not enough originality.

I love Bill and I hope the show does well though.

Femvamp

Femvamp

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 8:32 PM

Ok just watched it and its not bad but..........I don't know. Something about it is just......blah.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 8:35 PM

I lasted about five minutes. Man that was just bad bad comedy. I love Bill Engvall but that show is not funny.

bartleby301

bartleby301

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 10:36 PM

I liked the show. Yes it's a generic family sitcom, but that's OK. Although I like them, I'm tired of sitcoms that have to be "edgy" or have people who really aren't that likeable. This show was harmless; I thought Bill & Nancy Travis had good chemistry (she's been a favorite of mine since that one where she's the comedy writer dating the tall guy who was on the first season of "Earth: Final Conflict"). The kids were OK.

I was reading in the paper that he wanted his show to be the kind of show where families could watch together, and he had a point that in between NY & LA there are 300 million people who are just "regular" folks. That said, I didn't think it quite family viewing where he asks his son, with the array of vegetables on the table, which one he "was."

I'll probably watch a few episodes until I forget it's on.

ObscuredbyClouds

ObscuredbyClouds

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2007 @ 10:58 PM

I hate this show. I enthusiastically set it to record because I have enjoyed Engvall's humor in the past. Not anymore. This was a pathetic attempt at laughs due to cheap jokes. It was not funny in any way, (I did laugh a couple times, but not certainly worth the time spent watching the show.) All in all I sincerely hope this gets cancelled.

radiochik

radiochik

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 6:56 AM

I actually recorded this last night and watched it this morning before work. While I wouldn't call it good, it was pretty much what I thought it would be. It's cute I guess but a bit dull. ITA with bluwater about incorporating a comic's material in the show. I was hoping they wouldn't do that but at the same time figured they would. The thing that was bad about it was that you could tell when the lines were from his stand up and they seemed kinda forced into the script.

If I remember to keep taping it, I'll keep watching it just cuz I'm a fan of Engvall. It's a harmless show and it's only a half hour.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 7:02 AM

It was okay. Didn't really hit all the marks, but the characters were likable enough (and actually like each other, which is a nice change of pace for most family sitcoms these days). I might stick around for the rest of the season. (Especially since there's really nothing else on during the replay, and I need something to keep me amused at work.)

anstar

anstar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:04 AM

I adore Bill Engvall and I was concerned that this wouldn't last; Jeff Foxworthy is a great stand up - not so much as a sitcom dad. Rodney Carrington's show I actually liked but it didn't survive. :(
There were a few 'cute' things about the show last night, but if it's going to survive, I hope they get rid of the youngest one. He doesn't really fit in at all. I doubt it'll be any kind of 'break away' hit, but I'll stick around for a while. Television comfort food is OK with me.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:39 AM

I thought it was ok. I got some laughs and thought the cast had good chemistry. Although, I honestly could do without "precosious germaphobe child", I liked the daughter and the older son. Preview for next week looked like it would be funny and, as a rabid Bill fan, I'll stick around. :-)

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

The thing that was bad about it was that you could tell when the lines were from his stand up and they seemed kinda forced into the script.

The dinner table scene was the part that had me groaning. The material's funny, but the delivery of his lines was very much a stand-up delivery. And the rest of the family even responded as such.

Other than that, though, I found it much better than I expected. It wasn't great, but as others have said, it was familiar, and there's something to be said about that. For the most part (i.e., not the part where he asked about his son's penis size relative to the vegetables, which did make me laugh) it was reminiscent of early 90s sitcoms, and that's actually kind of nice because you just don't see that done well, or at all really, anymore.

If they can pull back on the stereotypes a little and flesh the characters out just a little more (I'm not looking for great characterization), I think there's potential there.

And even though I'm not anti-laugh track, I was pretty pleased that they didn't seem to tweak the laughter here too often. Some of the jokes seemed to fall flat for the audience, and that's actually cool that they let them stay that way.

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 2:03 PM

It was okay. Something to watch while I ate lunch today. It'll be grating and annoying when he starts quoting his own routines each episode but it wasn't bad.

How was the under 18 daughter able to get into and into the chair of a tattoo/piercing parlor without a parent?

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 2:10 PM

[Groan]

For me, even his standup routines have become blah. They're mostly the same ol' "my wife and kids do this and that ..." that 90% of heterocomedians do. He lost his edge several years ago.

anstar

anstar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 2:42 PM

For me, even his standup routines have become blah. They're mostly the same ol' "my wife and kids do this and that ..." that 90% of heterocomedians do. He lost his edge several years ago.

I like that about his routines. I can watch him on a DVD, or listen to one of his CD's with my children in the room. He can be funny without profanity every other word. My personal opinion, of course, but I find a comedian much funnier if he doesn't have to resort to 'shocking' the audience with obscenities.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

I appreciate clean comedy too, but I'd like for it to be funny and original--not just a paraphrase of the basic joke from the factory.

anstar

anstar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

Oh, I do too. I'm just more forgiving of a pilot. After all, The Cosby Show pilot was basically his stand up "Himself" show, brought to life. That one got better; this one might too. :)

AcheronBlue

AcheronBlue

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

That is one strange looking dog - cute, but I thought it was an overgrown badger.

Videophile

Videophile

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

I liked this episode much better than the pilot. It seemed a little less forced with fewer elements of his stand-up routines. This show won't win any awards but it's a nice summer diversion. And it's one less episode of "Raymond" or "Friends" that TBS will force on us.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 10:24 AM

I missed the first episode, but caught the second last night. Totally harmless. It's not even that bad, IMO. House of Payne? God-awful, look on in amazement, horrible. This doesn't even begin to compare to that crap in terms of suckiness. It's a harmless show that I got some chuckles from. And I love Bill Engvall. I think he's hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite comedians, just because he seems so nice and normal. Jeff Foxworthy called him 'the golden retriever of comedy'...and as odd as it sounds, it's totally accurate.

I'm an only child, but I could relate to just about all of it. I used to have a 'Terrashipadoradoodle' of my own. Had that same experience of having to sit in the Vet's office making that very same decision, talking to the dog, trying to rationalize, etc. I thought Bill acted that very well. It didn't come across as unbelievable emotion. It hit the right note for me, because I understood it. I knew they wouldn't kill the dog off, and I was glad because it is a cute little mutt (although knowing Hollywood, it's probably not a mutt at all. Probably some rare breed that is supposed to look like that. Maybe brushed out a bit to make it look more raggedy).

And add to that - I learned something. Do people actually do that parking meter thing? Not the putting in a quarter when someone's is about to expire, I know that happens (actually done it once or twice, myself..shhhh!) But putting a flyer on the car with an envelope attached asking for money? I've never heard of that in my life. It's a clever idea if you could avoid the whole getting caught thing. Think it would work to get money to repay student loans?

Bottom line, they keep airing it - I'll keep watching it.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 10:29 AM

I enjoyed the pilot, but I thought this episode was actually much better. Bill seemed more at ease and I felt more like I was watching a show then a skit in his comedy routine. LOVED the dog...Raffles is adorable in a "so ugly you're cute" kind of way.

If that older son gets any more clueless, he is going to walk in front of a bus. They need to bring him up a notch and maybe dumb down the young one a tad. The daughter is the perfect stereotype of pretty teenage girl so they can leave her alone. :-)

I think what I really liked was seeing Bill at his job. I knew from his website that his job was "family therapist", but they really didnt make that clear in the pilot. When he said "there is already one family therapist in the house" (paraphrase) last week, my partner said "Which one is the therapist?" so I felt like they missed the boat on that one. They should have left the line out last week or actually made reference to what he did.

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 1:26 PM

I'm going with "meh" for last night's episode.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2007 @ 11:51 AM

oh oh...doesnt bode well that it is almost 1 pm the day after a new episode and nobody has posted. :-(

As far as last nights episode goes...As a teenager of the 80s, I loved the flashback stuff. The show was very sitcom-y with the injured child, etc....but, as this IS a sitcom, I am ok with that. :-) Overall, I am still enjoying it immensely. It's not "the best show ever made", but I get at least a couple of laughs out of it so that works for me.

Videophile

Videophile

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2007 @ 7:57 AM

Bill's surprised that Susan has her own checking account? He's not OK with her working? Are they recycling plots from the 60's? I want to like this show but with crap like this my patience is wearing thin.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

I was a little surprised by the fact that he didnt like her working. If they had played it as his being annoyed by having to do housework, THAT would have been believable. But the idea that he is somehow "threatened" because the little woman wants to work outside the home?! C'mon! They are supposed to be somewhere around my age, I think, and I dont think any guy in this generation is thinking like that.