Greek

• Please log in to reply

3316 replies to this topic

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2007 @ 10:59 AM

This is a new summer show starting July 9. I'm definitely gonna check it out and hopefully we can discuss here! Kelsey Grammer's daughter, Spencer, is the main female (umm she's GORGEOUS). It's about the Greek system at some made-up college in California.

http://www.virtualrush.com/ (the preview plays at the top left of the screen)

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

I saw this and it looked interesting. Then I saw the confederate flag. Hmmm. One easy way to scare off the black viewer. However, I am curious to see if they're going to explain it.

Kaitlin862

Kaitlin862

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:35 PM

I am also pretty excited about this, Clark Duke is playing the roommate, I really love Clark and Michael right now, and am glad to see him actually on TV instead of an internet show.

I have only seen the online preview, and I don't remember a confederate flag, but that would be a crazy bad idea if its there. Where is the show filmed and where is it suppose to be set?

lanter

lanter

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 12:42 AM

I saw this and it looked interesting. Then I saw the confederate flag. Hmmm. One easy way to scare off the black viewer. However, I am curious to see if they're going to explain it.

It's the bad acting (noticed in the commercial) that's scaring off this minority viewer but I did notice the condederate flag in the background.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 4:35 PM

I am also pretty excited about this, Clark Duke is playing the roommate, I really love Clark and Michael right now, and am glad to see him actually on TV instead of an internet show.

OMG me too!!! He's reeeally funny.

And I'm sure they'll explain the confederate flag...i don't think they would put it on there to offend anyone. you never know with college, I had a guy in my dorm who had a confederate flag, and I didn't go to school in the south!! Not sure where the college in the show is supposed to be, I tried to look it up on Wiki but no luck!

I can't wait to see it!

ilsalund

ilsalund

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 4:59 PM

And I'm sure they'll explain the confederate flag...i don't think they would put it on there to offend anyone. you never know with college

I didn't see the preview, but I am a Greek-affiliated girl currently in college, and I know that one of the fraternities on our campus has a lot of Confederate-related paraphernalia associated with it. I think its founding is grounded in a lot of that history-- they have a big portrait of Robert E. Lee in their entryway. But they're not the racist frat on campus, oddly enough-- the house next door to them is-- these guys just like to get stoned a lot. So anyway, it might have something to do with that.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

ilsalund, since you're greek, do you think you'll watch the show? i used to be, and i wanna watch it to see if they get it right...what being greek is really like, i mean. in addition to the fact that it'll probably be hilarious if Clark Duke is in it.

ilsalund

ilsalund

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 2:22 PM

ilsalund, since you're greek, do you think you'll watch the show? i used to be, and i wanna watch it to see if they get it right...what being greek is really like, i mean.

Probably. It looks interesting to me, although I'm already into way too many shows and when school starts back up I might not have time for a new one. But I'd like to. I've often wondered why there aren't more shows about college students-- it seems like all of the high school ones (The OC, One Tree Hill, etc.) would come off as a lot more realistic and organic if they were set in college instead of H.S. All the actors look too old to play high school anyway, and the situations in which they get themselves involved usually play out to me like stuff that my friends and I never even thought about until college.

As for them getting it 'right' and portraying 'what it's really like,' I'm not sure that I'll be able to tell. My school is really tiny (about 1,000 students) and our Greek system differs drastically from the stories we hear about the goings-on at big state schools. It's really low-key for us, and the Panhellenic groups (female frats/sororities) don't have residential houses, so it's a lot less cliquish than you'd think. Everyone's pretty much friends with everyone else, and we only get really territorial during recruitment and Greek Week. The boys are a little more hardcore, but I've never seen anything that approaches the level of bigger places. I'm sure I wouldn't even have considered picking up a bid at a place with a different atmosphere. But it'll be interesting to see how closely what happens on the show corresponds with actual experience.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 3:37 PM

Probably. It looks interesting to me, although I'm already into way too many shows and when school starts back up I might not have time for a new one. But I'd like to. I've often wondered why there aren't more shows about college students-- it seems like all of the high school ones (The OC, One Tree Hill, etc.) would come off as a lot more realistic and organic if they were set in college instead of H.S. All the actors look too old to play high school anyway, and the situations in which they get themselves involved usually play out to me like stuff that my friends and I never even thought about until college.

That's so true. I've wondered the same thing myself. Plus, a college setting offers so much more drama than high school in my opinion. There's just so many directions the storylines can take. And especially within the Greek system, it can be like frat/sorority drama on TOP of all that college drama. I think it should be really great. I had the same Greek experience as you in college (1200 students at my school), btw, and it is a lot different than big schools. I loved it!

car1fsu

car1fsu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

You can now download the pilot episode for free on iTunes here.

I just watched it and it was better than I expected. I'm an ABC Family fan (and a fan of teen drama in general) but this premise was not very interesting to me because I was never involved in any sort of Greek life in college, despite the fact that I went to a university with a huge Greek system. It just never appealed to me. Despite that fact, I thought the pilot was well done and most of the characters were likeable. The stereotypes are a bit off the charts right now but hopefully after they introduce everyone that will calm down. I'm interested to see what people who were a part of the Greek system will say. My Greek experience doesn't go beyond a random fraternity party or two.

The only part that I had a problem with was how Casey was willing to let her boyfriend's cheating go so she still had a chance at being sorority president. Is it really that prestigious of a position? And would you still want to be the president of a sorority that wouldn't want you unless you were dating an important guy? As a woman, that kind of thing bugs, and I hope that's not what it is like in sororities in real life. Her partying ex Cappie is way hotter and nicer than cheater boyfriend anyway. I sense an ongoing clandestine relationship will happen with them.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 3:38 PM

Yea car1fsu, I watched it on iTunes as well, and I loved it! The stuff you mentioned (in your spoiler) i don't THINK happens in real life, but definitely made the show more entertaining (not to mention will create a TON of drama). Cappie is probably my favorite character, I knew about 10 guys just like him at my school, haha. And how hysterical was the brother's roommate?!

Mischievious

Mischievious

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 11:40 PM

I belonged to a large Greek system (now an alumna) at a somewhat large Division 1 University. What you mention in your spoiler car1fsu didn't happen in my sorority nor in the chapters that many of my friends belonged to, however, I can see it happening in a chapter here and there. I am in the process of downloading the pilot. I won't be able to watch many episodes since I have things going on Monday nights so as long as ya'll keep conversations going about what's going on, I will certainly provide comparisons to my Greek experience.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 7:54 AM

Mischievious, did you watch? Let us know what you think when you do! I'm just so excited that I have something new to watch this summer instead of reruns of The Inferno (ummmmm...kidding).

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 8:39 AM

I need a life, but this former sorority girl is going to watch. The Greek system is usually portrayed as the seventh ring of Hell, so I'm really interested in how this show will handle it. Some of the usual stereotypes fit, but Greek houses do a lot more good than they're given credit for. I'll wait until the premiere episode though because I hate watching TV on my computer.

Satanic Counsel

Satanic Counsel

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 9:45 AM

So the title of this thread will be Greek: It's More Than Just Repressed Homosexuality & Date Rape?

Edited by Satanic Counsel, Jul 6, 2007 @ 9:45 AM.

ilsalund

ilsalund

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

I'm planning on watching the pilot on iTunes today, but I'll reserve comment till Monday because I don't want to fool with too many spoiler tags. (I'm rather distressed about the timeslot, because that's when I get my Army Wives fix, but that's why they invented TiVo, right?) From what I can tell, though, it's as I'd feared: gross stereotyping and general portrayal of the Greek community as shallow and depraved, just more ammo for all the people who think that Greek Life is Teh Evul. The situation referenced in the spoiler above definitely would not happen in my chapter of my sorority; our most recently elected president is dating a nobody, and her predecessor didn't even have a boyfriend.

I will say, though, that the chatter on this board is making me curious as to which Greek organizations you all belong/ed!

car1fsu

car1fsu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 3:52 PM

Interesting review from the Hollywood Reporter here. A taste:

At many campuses -- maybe most -- the Greek system has been in decline for about 40 years. The parties and friendships notwithstanding, more students resent the snobbishness, the silly rules, the extra expenses, the hazing and the demands that interfere with study or work.

Those issues don't exist in "Greek," ABC Family's latest and most daring attempt to bring in additional teen and tween viewers. The new series, which repeats episodes four days later on ABC, invokes the mentality of a half-century ago, when the most important concern at college was being accepted into the right fraternity or sorority.

If you can still swallow that viewpoint, there's a lot to like about this combination drama-comedy. But first you have to commit to watch the entire hourlong premiere, because it takes that long for several of the students at fictional Cyprus-Rhodes University to morph from one-dimensional stereotypes to characters with texture and depth.

I totally agree with this reviewer, especially his point that it starts out horrifically stereotypical but gives many of the characters unexpected depth by the end of the hour.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

I just watched it because I am ABCF's bitch and the commercials have been everywhere. I enjoyed it - good summer filler television. When it airs on Monday, I'll write more but briefly...The acting is not all that but the writing's good. The characters and relationships are more complex than I imagined. Especially the sibling relationship. I'm interested to see why there's such a distance between them. I liked their conversation after she bailed him out but you get the sense there's still some strain there.Where it fails is how it characterizes some of the sorority women or how some of the actresses portray them. I think I'll continuing watching to see where it goes though.

Then I saw the confederate flag. Hmmm. One easy way to scare off the black viewer. However, I am curious to see if they're going to explain it.

Without spoiling too much, the flag makes a brief appearance but it's really just to set up a character.

Edited by loseresque, Jul 7, 2007 @ 12:06 PM.

Shader

Shader

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2007 @ 3:24 PM

I just watched it on iTunes. I'll definitely keep up with it over the summer. I have to agree that the one dimensional characters started becoming more defined as it got closer to the end. With a few more episodes, as long as the writing continues in the same direction, it should be pretty good.

Not that I'm too picky about my television choices anyway.

TheNorth

TheNorth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 3:41 PM

So cool that is up on itunes, but I am so busy today, I am gonna watch it when it premieres tonight on TV. Glad to see you guys seemed to like it, especially the writing, which probably bodes well for the series. Seems like great summer fun...and perhaps will remind me of my younger days. Haha.

bookwrm74

bookwrm74

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

On the whole, I was disappointed...not that my expectations were all that high to begin with! I have a sad addiction to shows about high school/college life, but I just find it really, really hard to relate to a lot of the characters on this show and the premise that joining the right fraternity and sorority is OMG-the-most-important-life-choice-ever. Rusty's uber-social climbing sister, Casey, was so unlikable to me that I'm still trying to figure out whether we were even *supposed* to like her. Unfortunately, I think we were.

I did somewhat like Rusty and felt the show had a few funny/interetsing lines and moments (and I have to admit Calvin being possibly gay was a cool surprise), but not enough to make up for the many aspects of the show that didn't work for me. Yet, despite my many complaints, I'll tune in again next week...see my above reference to my sad addiction to shows depicting high school/college life, even though in this case some of the characters look like they're pushing their mid-thirties and are part of a show that kind of made Revenge of the Nerds look like a more subtle, nuanced view of college life!

Edited by bookwrm74, Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:14 PM.

awshuks

awshuks

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

I thought it was a pretty good show. I was greek twenty years ago, and I noticed the many stereotypes they have on this show. Greek life is more complicated than that.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

Loved the 'walk of shame'...

GuyInGA

GuyInGA

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:09 PM

I like the show and it reminded me a lot of my college life, especially from Rusty's perspective. Except I didn't get in fights/kicked out of a fraternity for pissing someone off. Just went out, drank, went back to the dorm, wash rinse repeat. I could spot which fraternities were based on which real-life ones from the show. I knew A TON of people like Rusty's room-mate and they scared me. Still waiting on the other stereotypes of college, like the really far-left dude or chick that never shaves and has Kucinich 2004 bumper sticker. Or that dude that owns every freakin' anime DVD ever and steals women's underwear.

Glad they got the "walk of shame" down....

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

I'm interested to see what people who were a part of the Greek system will say. My Greek experience doesn't go beyond a random fraternity party or two.

I'm a GDI, but I did go to alot of Greek parties my freshman year, so I got a good idea of what they're like.

I feel like the girls were a little *too* Stepford Wifey...I get they were dressed ultra prep for the rush ceremony, but still, you probably would have been more likely to see them in gaucho pantsuits than that sunflower dress thing they had going on. Maybe it's more of a West Coast thing, though.

I liked the differences between the frat Rusty is going to pledge and the frat that his sister's boyfriend is head of. That was a true to life bit- usually you don't ever see frats portrayed aside from being really elitist, but frats like Rusty's do exist. Totally laidback and generally fun guys, though they usually don't have the same kinds of fund the kind of great parties that the elitist frats are known for. But in general, they're the kind of guys you want to hang out with.

At first I thought Rusty was the kind of guy that would be eaten alive by a frat, but man...he really did show some chutzpah at the end. He became a real person to me at that moment. He kinda reminds me of myself, except I was never that huge of a nerd, and I could down four shots before I started to puke...still a 2-beer queer, but not too bad.

I didn't expect them to get the "gay" angle in...I haven't seen that in a frat storyline in a good long while. I actually belong to this yahoo group, called Fraternity Memoirs, about a "straight" ladies man who experiments with guys on the side as he joins a frat...so it made me chuckle to see that. I did have sex once with a fratty-looking guy who all but said, "Dude, I have a girlfriend and this is just being stressed"...so that was true to life, I think.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:21 PM.

Alienhead04

Alienhead04

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

I thought that was probably one of those most well done shows ABC Family has put out. I guess that's not saying much considering their history, but I really enjoyed the inclusion of minorities and that it didn't seem too extremely "Disney." There was a braless shot of a girls back. Gasp!

One thing I had a problem with (which happens on a lot of college movies), was the mentality that there is a "most popular couple in school," like this is high school or something. I only have my own experience to draw from, but there ought to be hundreds of people at that school that have never even heard of Casey. I guess it helps that the college they attend does seem to take place in a small town that's run by her boyfriend's father.

RowingPains

RowingPains

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

I really liked the pilot, but it sounds like I had way different expectations than a lot of you. I just thought it was going to be a silly comedy/drama that played on the greek stereotypes, which is basically what it was. I laughed so hard at the end when Rusty spit out his drink, and I laughed even harder at the "please drink responsibly" disclaimer after that.

I feel like the girls were a little *too* Stepford Wifey...I get they were dressed ultra prep for the rush ceremony, but still, you probably would have been more likely to see them in gaucho pantsuits than that sunflower dress thing they had going on. Maybe it's more of a West Coast thing, though.

Really? Because I thought that was pretty accurate actually. I go to a college with a huge greek system on the east coast and i've sat in traffic too many times waiting for pledges to cross the street and i've never seen a pantsuit.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

Well, I'll admit that I'm gay, so I was never interested all that much in the sorority girls and what they wore...now, the frat boys in their Hollister polos and cargo shorts? 'Nother story right there. One gay guy could probably seriously contemplate pledging based on the hotness they'll be surrounded with alone...as the black dude pretty much demonstrates.

How the girls were dressed at the bar looked really accurate, though.

And I loved the difference between Real Casy and Greek Casey, though it does seem weird that her only ambition is to be the most popularity power couple on campus...like, really, noooooo one except for the people in your sorority and your affiliated frat give a damn about you. Most sorority girls I knew had at least some idea of what they wanted to do after college- usually either nurse, teacher, physical trainer, or business person. It just seems weird that all these girls basically only seem to aspire being the most popular sorority on campus, and nothing else.

Travis is hot, but I'd still go for the other fraternity president. At least until college is done.

Okay...Rusty...looked like Hilary Swank in drag. Seriously. Am I the only one who thought this?

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 9, 2007 @ 10:56 PM.

vonnie99

vonnie99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 6:10 AM

I watched last night and I liked it - Cappy made me miss my college days! On a side note - did you guys know that Casey is played by Kelsey Grammer's daughter?

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 6:44 AM

Now that I am more free to write about it...I think the show has potential. There are some definite weak spots in the writing/acting and a lot of stereotypes. But I like this strained sibling relationship. I want to know why it exists; what's going on in their family that they're not at least a little bit closer. How will this Greek stuff change that (hopefully not overnight)?

I also like that they did include a gay character. I wasn't expecting it at all so I was really surprised about that. Finally, I like the character of Cappy, or maybe it's the actor. I'm not sure which one, but I thought he was fun and reminded me of college guys I knew; I love his interaction with Rusty. I want to see how the frat tries to corrupt him.

Overall, it was diverting which is the point of TV. I enjoyed it enough not to focus on the things I knew were not quire right or good, if that makes sense.