3-3: "Day 3" 2007.06.18 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

433 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

From Zap2It:

The teams prepare breakfast for men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces dining in the kitchen; one contestant falls seriously ill; another chef must leave.

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

• Interests:Halloween and the Duke Blue Devils men's basketball team.

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Jen. Jen Jen Jen. What a MORON. I mean, good for her to step up at the end, I guess, because she picked FOOD out of the GARBAGE, for fuck's sake. Piss off, indeed.

Hmmm. Raw seafood, or pasta out of the "bin." Good call to boot Joanna, GR.

Joanna is such a twit. "Men in uniform are so sexy," giggle giggle giggle. Whether it's true or not (which it generally is), it just makes her look so damned immature to do that. And Bonnie is working my last nerve, too.

Now that I think about it, I'm not really liking Melissa that much either. It really wasn't necessary to make dumbass comments, rubbing it in to the guys that they lost, when she left for the helicopter. And her voice just grates and grates and grates.

I don't really have anyone to root for, I guess. I just can't root for Julia, because I like to be contrary.

However, was there any doubt that red would win the breakfast challenge? Hello, Julia can make a fucking omelet and some hash browns, JOANNA.

But then those Hell's Bitches want to nominate her? I don't root for her, but come the fuck on.

Am I a really bad person because I'm not entirely convinced that Aaron wasn't faking? It really looked like he looked around for a moment before he fell backwards, just to make sure he wasn't really going to rack himself. Oh well. Good riddance, weepy.

Edited by Halloween Mojo, Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:02 PM.

leto

leto

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Waffle House rules! GRrr loves Julia. The producers (if the edit she got tonight is any indication) love Julia. I love Julia! You go, girl!

Melissa and Airhead Bonnie are totally on my shitlist for trying to nominate Julia for stupid nonperformance reasons.

Rock finally got a personality. Unfortunately, hes kind of a dick.

And lastly, thank god Aaron is gone. I hope hes okay health-wise but that man was just too much.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I think I would rather eat in a restaurant where the chef doesn't know what creme brulee is (of course, I don't like it anyway) than one where the chef takes food out of the trash. You can learn how to make creme brulee, but if you're the type of person to serve food from the trash, you just are.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I wanted to slap every last one of those trifling morons on the red team for daring to even think about nominating Julia for elimination after the way she saved their ass in the breakfast challenge and the dinner service! It's a valid point that she may not have the fine dining knowledge and experience that they all have, but when it comes to cooking ability, she's the only one who's consistently demonstrated the ability to get dishes out of the kitchen. And at least she has the knowledge and experience not to pull spaghetti out of the fucking garbage or serve rancid crab to guests! I've never seen anything so appalling on a cooking show.

Bonnie, Jen and Melissa can all kiss my ass. Haaaaate!

I won't miss the hapless Aaron, either.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Okay, maybe I missed something, but how did Bonnie go from looking like a drowned rat, to perfectly done and dry hair?

It is a shame, I liked Joanna a little this time, especially during the nominations. Personally, I would have thrown out Jen. Have you not seen Seinfeld? In what universe is it okay to give paying customers (assuming it were a real restaurant) food from the garbage? Yuck!

Julia is really great and I hope as the women are thinned out, some of their mistakes will be showcased so they can shut the fuck up. It's not Julia's problem that it took you ten years to learn your herbs.

I hate the men. Sabotage? That was funny. And I got a nice voice crack tonight.

I'm glad Aaron is gone. I hope he recovers, but I couldn't take it anymore. Did they ever mention exactly what "illness" he had?

EmmyMik

EmmyMik

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

The hell is up with Melissa and Bonnie? Julie might not have classical training, but at least she knows that you don't serve fucking pasta that's been thrown away! You don't need to know fancy cooking terms or shit to know that...

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

Am I a really bad person because I'm not entirely convinced that Aaron wasn't faking? It really looked like he looked around for a moment before he fell backwards, just to make sure he wasn't really going to rack himself.

It may have just been the editing (and I didn't record, so I can't watch it again), but that's what I thought, too. It looked like when Ramsay told them what they were going to do, Aaron got a panicky look on his face. I thought he looked like he was trying to figure out how to get out of all that work. But maybe I'm too cynical.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Women did a great job with the breakfast. Julia strutted her stuff. Very impressive.

Dinner was a a nightmare. Joanna had a tough time of it and she realized it. Bonnie is hot and all but when her and Melissa started in on the same old junk about Julia it made it clear that our relationship would be purely physical, lol. That pissed me off big time, especially when Bonnie has had her own troubles, and I'm glad that Jen stepped up and didn't let that happen. I knew the Chef wouldn't accept that either, cause he clearly views her number one at this point. Bonnie and Melissa have to get over themselves. Melissa is doing well but big ego there.

I couldn't believe Jen took the spaghetti out of the garbage. Yikes.

Men, same old, same old. Total mess. I could tell Josh had been getting under Rock's skin, and he gave confirmation of that. I suppose Rock is the best of them at this point but nobody has really stepped up there.

Aaron finally gone. Clear he just couldn't keep up with his health issues. Hope he is alright.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Tell me again where Bonnie gets off being so superior? Did she not know how to cook hash browns at breakfast? Did she not try to serve raw scallops? Once again, where does she get off? Blondie better be gone next week! She has been yelled at every service. The men dodged a bullet! They should not have been celebrating.

evil jesus

evil jesus

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

I'm mostly tired of Rock. All he does is complain that he's not leader. The only other thing he said was "Shut the fuck up." twice.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

Bonnie, Jen and Melissa can all kiss my ass. Haaaaate!

Seriously. And WTF ladies? Who died and made y'all queens of the kitchen? I must have missed the episode where Bonnie showed any sign of competence, or Melissa didn't wear her camo gear to a navy carrier. Melissa looked like she was going to a high school "camo day" pep rally, which means in this case, she looked completely ridiculous. At least Jen had the good sense to realize that Julia did not deserve to be up there.

And guys? Shut up. It didn't take a genius to figure out that GR is going to go for the red team when both teams sucked things up, so as to even things out. The red team being up on the block didn't mean that the blue team did any better, they were just lucky.

AvrilGrace

AvrilGrace

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

I was hoping to hear what was wrong with Aaron. But maybe they couldn't divulge his illness due to medical privacy issues. I'd still like to know what his serious illness is.

Hmm, garbage or rotten crab? I don't know!! I was so hoping for a double elimination. And I can't believe those bitches would rather throw out a woman who doesn't have total knowledge of ingredients over a woman who went garbage can diving for food to serve to customers, especially after they just heard that she did that.

Melissa and Bonnie are on my shit list too. I especially hate Bonnie's attitude. Like she's an expert on "high-quality" ingredients and food. She's a damn nanny/personal chef for Christ sake. She knows as much if not less than Julia knows about working with that kind of food. At least Julia works in a restaurant.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

I think I would rather eat in a restaurant where the chef doesn't know what creme brulee is (of course, I don't like it anyway) than one where the chef takes food out of the trash. You can learn how to make creme brulee, but if you're the type of person to serve food from the trash, you just are.

Amen.

Glad to see Joanna go. She really tends to spread her panic to the other woman. As soon as she lost it, so did everyone else, on both services. And her "oh... well... everyone ELSE thinks Julia should go...." had me wanting to smack the TV.

(edit... I stand corrected..... nose was half in a cookbook during the team decision process and I swore Joanna was also on the "get thee out Julia" bandwagon. Just watched that part again. She wasn't. My bad!)

And Melissa's Cyndi Lauper-like-kewpie-whining voice is already on my last never. I think she can cook, but I'd be happy to see her go 'cause I wouldn't have to hear her anymore.

Poor Aaron. Yeah.... ya knew it was coming, and it's sad to see history repeat itself (hey Fox.... maybe try some stress tests on next season's people before you let them in the kitchen) on a personal level for Aaron, and because's IT'S SHIIIIIIIT television.

Edited by VNutt, Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:25 PM.

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

It's odd to me that everytime there was work that needed to be done Aaron would develop a cramp or pass out. He seems quite capable to cramp-up and faint on cue. I wonder how much of his 'sickness' is all in his head?

I can be 100% comfortable as a straight female saying that I am completely in love with Julia. She apears to be the kind of person that takes nothing for granted.

Oh, and Jen? While I do appreciate you stepping up at the end, I could never eat in your restaurant for obvious reasons.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

First, you can't tell me that Aaron didn't know before the call that he was going to be sent home. He'd had severe cramping the entire time, and not one, but TWO fainting spells. They should have called the ambulance when the wuss went catatonic during the last dinner service, IMO. Smell ya later, Aaron.

Melissa and Airhead Bonnie are totally on my shitlist for trying to nominate Julia for stupid nonperformance reasons.

Yeah, and their reasons have nothing to do with knowledge and EVERYTHING to do with feeling threatened. Julia may not have the know-how now, but she's shown a huge willingness and ability to learn. And she seems to learn pretty damn quickly. I like the gal.

THANK GOD JOANNA'S GONE! Good Lord she was insufferable. How she could not smell rancid crab I do not know. She thought she was just so damn cute and darling and loveable and flirty and girly and wonderful. BARF. She gave GR a look on her way out the door my friend's three-year-old gives us when we won't give her any candy. Yeah. So long, bitch.

And Jen, I sure as hell wouldn't pull food out of my trash to serve to myself. Why in the HELL would you think it's appropriate to do so in a restaurant?!? Remind me to ask if that crazy broad is the chef next time I eat out. Hell, she may have been the awful "chef" they had at Applebees today...It sure would have explained a lot...

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

And her voice just grates and grates and grates

Her voice reminds me of Fran Drescher or her character the nanny. I didn't like Melissa from day one and haven't seen any reason to change my mind.

I don't much like anyone on the red team except Julia at this point. I don't think she'll win it. Although I want to see her be the last of the women to leave. I can't believe they all turned around and nominated her after hearing the about the other one pulling food out of the trash.

The men are a mess too. Rock seems the most competent at this point.

I thought Aaron might have narcolepsy. It looked like he fell asleep standing up and then fell backwards.

I also miss "Shut it down." I don't think we've had one this season.

Edited by Endeavour, Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:18 PM.

Vali

Vali

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

I just. Don't. Get. It. WTF is the women's problem? They'd rather eliminate Julia due to her supposed lack of knowledge of the "product", even though they all sat there and recoiled in horror when Jen's trash-picking was exposed? I repeat, WTF? It makes no sense. They must be threatened by Julia because they can see that GRrrr loves her, and for good reason, given her breakfast performance.

You can learn what products are. You can't learn judgement (as in, "should I pick the spaghetti out of the trash to save time, or not?").

Melissa is starting to grate big time. Can't wait to see her get her comeuppance.

Go Rock and Julia.

judgmental

judgmental

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Word! Lack of home training, that's what that was . . . It doesn't take culinary training to know not to take things out of the trash-- especially not on camera! And she didn't even kiss it up to God . . . At least she stepped up and admitted her wrong at the end. Nice.

What are the chances the show put rancid crab in the refrigerator to see if someone would use it? Was there *any* legit crab in the joint? Was it hidden behind the rancid crab? We'll never know.

I don't like the chicks this time around . . . or the dudes . . . Still like GRrrr, even after reading about some unseemly undertakings in a New Yorker article (accusing his one-mentor of stealing his reservation book when he himself had arranged to have it stolen, in order to undermine said ex-mentor). I should be boycotting the show on general principle, but . . . I don't have cable and can't watch Top Chef . . .

Invernessie

Invernessie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

Well, I have to give props to Jen for adding herself to the elimination pool, though she is horrible. While I'm sure in some restaurants they resurrect food from the rubbish bin, I sure did not want to see that on TV. I have three siblings whose food industry stories back up this kind of behaviour.

Melissa and Bonnie have a lot of nerve being so condescending re Julia's background. There are always new things to learn, and to believe that just because you have not experienced sonething that you are incapable of ever doing so just enhances their ignorance.

No surprise that they eliminated a woman from the competition. While Eddie was no star, with Aaron out the picture, I'm sure TPTB wanted to keep the numbers close per side.

Edited by Invernessie, Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:58 PM.

hfdpj20

hfdpj20

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Way to go Julia for stepping up. Yes, she may not know the fine dining but she got the team through the breakfast & dinner service.

As for the men's team, Rock seems to be the only consistent piece. Everyone seems a little chaotic.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

At least Aaron got out of the show alive. He was utterly hopeless, but to me at least he seemed like someone who was genuinely very ill for whatever reason and shouldn't have been hanging around any longer.

The ladies' snobbish elitism made a comback tonight when they nominated Julia for elimination, but given her breakfast performance there was no way that GR would have picked her. Jen saved herself by admitting her screwup, since GR seems to value honesty and hates coverups, plus presumably she learned her lesson. Joanna never got her act together in the kitchen. She was the obvious one to go tonight.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

And her "oh... well... everyone ELSE thinks Julia should go...." had me wanting to smack the TV.

That was actually the first (and only) thing Joanna ever did that I appreciated. She had the good sense to know it was bullshit that Julia was being nominated for elimination and she was making it clear that she didn't agree with that choice. She probably knew Ramsay would find that choice ridiculous too. Good for her.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Glad to see Joanna go. She really tends to spread her panic to the other woman. As soon as she lost it, so did everyone else, on both services. And her "oh... well... everyone ELSE thinks Julia should go...." had me wanting to smack the TV.

I had no problem with Jo telling the truth, i.e. everyone else wants Julia to go. She stood up for Julia and honestly, she knew that between her and Julia, she would be the one to go. So I give her props for being courageous and going to what would obviously have been her ejection calmly. She may have won more points for herself if she had addressed the crab incident. I saw that as youth and the desire to get caught up in other people than remembering your own mistakes. Jen not only tried to serve garbage, but didn't communicate the issues with her wellingtons. She is extremely lucky! Her ass needs to be gone.

Edited by inyourdreams, Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:16 PM.

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Hmm, garbage or rotten crab? I don't know!! I was so hoping for a double elimination.

I strongly suspect that if Aaron hadn't been eliminated for health reasons tonight, both of them would have been gone - it would screw up the number of shows they are contracted to produce too much if 3 went in one ep.

That said, Jen is a dead chef walking. No way Ramsey is giving a restaurant to a trash can scavenger - she's like the fucking raccoons in my back yard.

quaismart

quaismart

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Forgive me, foodies, please, but what about fine dining takes 10 years to learn?

I feel better about Waffle House every week. Go Julia.

everstar

everstar

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

I personally am rooting for Julia to go the distance because she has leadership skills and the ability to coordinate a kitchen, qualities no one else has demonstrated. She can learn what a fricking creme brulee is as she goes.

I'm rather shocked that Ramsay didn't make both Jen and Joanna go, considering their food shenanigans, but I suppose owning that you'll pick spaghetti out of the trash to your customers, JEN, buys you a little more credit than making spaghetti with rancid crab and being a prissy little diva.

The other two women can just shut the hell up and do whatever Julia tells them.

The men can also shut up because while they didn't lose, they sure as hell didn't win.

Edited by everstar, Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:02 PM.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Oh, and Jen? While I do appreciate you stepping up at the end, I could never eat in your restaurant for obvious reasons.

Well, I disagree. I would have eaten your spaghetti followed by a chocolate eclair.

Yours truly,
George Costanza

Fiddler1

Fiddler1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Her voice reminds me of Fran Drescher.

I've been thinking that since the first episode, I think it was, where she laughed...she sounded JUST like her! I was sort of on the fence about Melissa, but the look she gave Julia after GR sent her back safely into line kind of got me. And after Julia practically saved their necks singlehandedly in that breakfast.... I'd rather trust my meal to a cook who may not KNOW everything but is willing to learn and has a modicum of common sense than one who'd pick my dinner out of the trash or doesn't know what rancid food smells like. Donkeys indeed!

amberdotcom

amberdotcom

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

Anyone know what Ramsey was saying when he was yelling at Brad for burning the wellingtons? Between the bleeps and the mouth "smudging" I only got one word out of it.