1-3: "His Visit: Day Two Continued" 2007.06.24 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

150 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

From Zap2It:

Dr. Smith believes a paranormal phenomenon has occurred within the Yost family; Kai takes John to her trailer; Cass comforts Mitch.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Did Kai see God, or the opposite?

Did everybody feel those affects or just the people associated with the Yosts?

I'm very confused but I like it.

Loved the music.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Umm, can somone please tell Rebecca DeMornay to turn her Scream-O-Meter down from 11?

I really want to like this show, but the acting is distractingly bad. I did love the music, though. Does anyone know who sang the cover of "Feelin' Good" that played over the credits?

Edited by needsleep05, Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:07 PM.

dennigan

dennigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

I am in love with this show. The scene leaving the hospital, the music, the final shot of Shaunie skating. It all makes me want to see more.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Anyone know what kind of implants Butchie has? At first I thought hair implants -- surfing stars shouldn't have bald spots -- but it must be something else.

I loved the doctor's reaction to the miracles.

Will need to rewatch for the stuff that happened after John told Kai to see God. Various people seemed to be steaming. Cool.

Hubby11

Hubby11

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Garret Dillahunt is once again, killing (meaning good) his role.

But I don't know how many more episodes I can watch when every 5 minutes I say "WTF??!!"

dennigan

dennigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

needsleep I found Rebecca's screaming actually just about right for portraying a woman who thought she had lost her grandson. She is playing this woman as pretty harsh, but honestly, if I had lost my grandson, there would be plenty of rage and terror that I would need to express. I thought it was realistic.

cobby97

cobby97

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

I think this show beautiful, but I cannot make heads or tails of the plot, though the end of this episode makes me wonder if they are making Shaun out to be God. John telling Kai to "Seek out God", and then taking her back to the Yost's, where Shaun is entertaining a crowd on the half-pipe. What does everyone make of Charlie Utter's new persona? I think that he will play a significant roll in episodes to come, but I cannot figure out in which areas he will be best suited. I'd also like to hear some views on Linc's roll. I don't know if his character is supposed to be of greater significance than of a sleazy promoter.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

I did love the music, though. Does anyone know who sang the cover of "Feelin' Good" that played over the credits?

I need to watch again because freaking company were *again* distracting me, but I'm almost positive it was Muse's cover off their 2001 album "Origin of Symmetry." My love for the music picks on this show knows no ends!

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

I need to watch again because freaking company were *again* distracting me, but I'm almost positive it was Muse's cover off their 2001 album "Origin of Symmetry." My love for the music picks on this show knows no ends!

I haven't watched the episode yet, but DAMN. How much more can I love this show?

Athenae

Athenae

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:37 PM

"See God, Kai."

I loved everyone gathering at the Yost house, not just reporters but people, just to see what was happening. So if John's performed miracles, and he's the messenger of God, people will come, because something's going on.

This show is starting to become very cool.

bchenowith

bchenowith

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

I missed the first half hour, can someone fill me in. Did Mitch sleep with that woman?

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:48 PM

John usually repeats what he hears, and then applies it in conversations with others, but where did he get the "I'm going to bone Kai" from? Unless, someone was thinking that somewhere in the episode tonight. This was one wierd fricking show tonight. I will have to watch it again.

No,bchenowith, he didn't sleep with anyone. At least not yet.

And that guy using duct tape on his broken hand--priceless!

Edited by marleyfan, Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:52 PM.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:50 PM

No, Mitch didn't sleep with her. But she said "Come to my hotel" and they were on their way. She knew Shaun had left the hospital but she didn't tell Mitch right away. Link called her and told her to take Mitch home, because Shaun was there. Then she told Mitch that Shaun was home. Neither she nor Link knew at that point that Shaunie was okay -- they only knew he was home.

You didn't miss much. Freddie sat in his car outside the hospital talking to himself, and doing what he could to keep reporters away. A buddy of Freddie's showed up, and Freddie broke his fingers as an excuse to go inside the hospital and check on Shaunie. Before they could do that, they saw the Yosts leaving the hospital.

You missed the Greek Chorus supporting Cunningham as he went to shut the door of room 24, and deciding to take food to the Yost family.

You might have missed Cissy screaming at Butchie about building the half-pipe. Man, can that woman scream.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 9:59 PM

if I had lost my grandson, there would be plenty of rage and terror that I would need to express. I thought it was realistic. -- dennigan

I should've clarified myself a bit more. I thought her reaction was fine. I've interned and worked in various social service settings and I've witnessed various shades of emotions from clients, so her screaming reaction wasn't what bothered me, it was the way RD chose to play the scene. I didn't feel any emotion coming from that scene. All I saw was an actress screaming because the script told her to scream. Oh, and I kept thinking the press was going to go nuts because I just assumed that they would've heard Cissy tearing Butchie a new asshole, but I guess the all went temporarily deaf. Or maybe Bill distracted them by adminstering impromtu polygraphs or something. Heh.

On a side note: I'm only 25, but I feel like a dirty old woman every time I watch this show because I think Shaun is really hot.

ETA: Zippy rules!

Edited by needsleep05, Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:02 PM.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:01 PM

John usually repeats what he hears, and then applies it in conversations with others, but where did he get the "I'm going to bone Kai" from?

In the first episode, right before Butchie and Mitch have their hilarious phonecall argument, just as Butchie is dialing Mitch's number, John tells him "I like Kai". Butchie then says something along the lines of "Yeah, you would. I bet you could bone her if you wanted to.".

So John apparently keeps those things in and repeats them when he thinks it's appropriate (or, well, randomly).

TreyMan

TreyMan

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

I'm feelin' this show, especially this ep. By the way, Huge Deadwood fan....

Dayton "Charlie Utter" Callie is still great, and, as Freddie, still kinda like Utter (example: the self-reflective monolouge in the car listening to that grand song The Sopranos used a few times). Loved how he and Bill teamed up. Also, Paul Ben-Victor (from Entourage, The Wire (much more prominently), and countless movies as villians) as a bafoon-like flunkie? Great casting.

I real got the whole community vibe this episode- alot like Deadwood. Still not sure what exactly happened with Kia and John. I'll comment more later, but I liked it alot.

darwin

darwin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Anyone know what kind of implants Butchie has?

I believe the implants Butchie was talking about are a form of body modification. See here. From Butchie's description it sounds like he got a type when he can screw on different types of external ornaments, e.g. spikes or "antennas".

So people who have met John and have metal in their bodies experienced a burning sensation? Butchie and the implants, Vietnam Joe's leg (shrapnel?), Kai's body piercings, and Mitch's knee (I assume that this is what occurred that made Mitch think he caught his leg on a nail).

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

So people who have met John and have metal in their bodies experienced a burning sensation? Butchie and the implants, Vietnam Joe's leg (shrapnel?), Kai's body piercings, and Mitch's knee (I assume that this is what occurred that made Mitch think he caught his leg on a nail).

That's a good theory, but didn't they also show something happening to Ramon, Dickstein, and Cunningham during the "See God, Kai" scene. Did Cunningham have some sort of metal in him due to that incident he had with Butchie?

pathfinder

pathfinder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Thanks for clarifying the implant thing. When John told Kai to "see God" and everyone's metal started burning, I just thought it was because the glory of God was so bright that it caused all of it. No mortal is supposed to be able to look upon God, isn't that right? I don't know, it's late for me and I watched in a hurry. Some things I know, some things I don't. I know I love this show!

WollamEnots

WollamEnots

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:38 PM

{{I really want to like this show, but the acting is distractingly bad. I did love the music, though. Does anyone know who sang the cover of "Feelin' Good" that played over the credits?}}

I believe it's done by Muse.

CarolynfromLa

CarolynfromLa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:56 PM

That's a good theory, but didn't they also show something happening to Ramon, Dickstein, and Cunningham during the "See God, Kai" scene. Did Cunningham have some sort of metal in him due to that incident he had with Butchie?

I thought I saw that Ramon had a large metal cross or crucifix around his neck, and that it heated up and caused him to drop the food he was carrying.

CerebralFitness

CerebralFitness

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 10:58 PM

I thought this episode was channeling other HBO shows. Of course they used that song The Sopranos used a few times (the Italy episode among them) and later, they used a Six Feet Under song. Not to mention the episode included a "fade to white to fade to black". Throw in all the Deadwood refuges (Did I see Ellsworth too in this episode or the preview?)
I didn't give the first episode a chance. Too upset by The Sopranos, but this ep kept me interested even though I wasn't following it. Maybe I'll do the 3 ep mini-marathon on Thursday.

ChefDuJour

ChefDuJour

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

Is anyone else picking up a Trixie vibe from Kai? I've read a couple of bad reviews of her acting on this forum, but I'm kind of enjoying her -- and in this ep they've finally given her something to do beyond being protective of the family.

Great call on the metal connection between Butchie, Vietnam Joe, Mitch and Kai, although I wish I knew what Butchie's "implants" actually are (they seem like horns the way he points at them). But the metal makes perfect sense. Didn't catch the Dickstein connect, though, other than the fact that they dropped the soup during the "see god" scene.

Feeling a little bad about Zippy being in Bill's pocket all this time. He lives right down the street, for god's sake. Couldn't he have brought the little guy home by now? And I'm a little bothered by the fact that Bill had to walk past the press, the gawkers and everyone else to start hassling Freddie. It sounded like the speech he was rehearsing inside was for everyone out there, not just the one suspicious looking guy across the street.

Loved the end when Kai and John are standing in the crowd and Kai asks John what's going on. He says "see god" again, and the next scene is Shaunie on the half pipe. The kid looks euphoric.

Kai and Shaunie have been much-discussed as far as acting ability, but their performances in this ep just flat-out did it for me. Guess Milch and I agree that it's always the quiet ones you have to keep your eye on.

Anyways.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:18 PM

Brilliant, Darwin. Thank you.

Where I once and for all bought into this show, was during the hilarious-yet-moving scene of Freddie's listening to the Sarah Brightman "Time to Say Good-bye", and first mumbling to himself that this is supposed to be where it becomes a duet ("with the blind dago"), then first bad-blonde and then furtive-Mitch amble off, one at a time, to their dark assignation in the brilliant sunlight, in perfect time to the music. Followed by the remainder of the Yost clan, high-tailing it out of the hospital with Shaun on Butchie's back and Freddie's sending out his minion to distract the press. Followed by, as the music hits its grand and grandiose peak, the four cars peeling out of the parking lot.

I guess I think that it is Shaun, not John, who is the metaphorical second coming, if this is at all Milch's theme. At 12, Jesus chose to go to the temple and confound the elders, while his parents searched for him in vain and in panic. Jesus took up his father's trade. Jesus was of a famous family, the descendants of David. Jesus was tempted by temporal power, but forsook it, and so was baptised by John. Of course, not to mention, the last line of the show, John to Kai: "See God." And that lovely freeze-frame of Shaun.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:47 PM

That moment bought me, too, Pallas429. I posted the line over in the quotes thread. I came for Milch and the Deadwood bunch, but after tonight, I may just watch for the pleasure of it. And the odd chance that this will come to make sense sometime soon. It took a few Deadwoods to hook me in.

The gaggle of characters in support of the Yosts are fascinating, touching, humorous and so very, very odd. Pea soup. Press interference. Magic parrots. Duct tape. And word to the love for that last shot of Shaun caught in a flash. Which is a lot, considering that last week, I didn't much care if he lived or died.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:48 PM

It looked to me like John told Kai to see God at the exact moment that Butchie was about to shoot up. After Butchie's head stopped smoking, he left the motel with the dope still on the spoon. John is his guardian angel at the very least.

Thanks, darwin and others for the metal connection.

ChefDuJour

ChefDuJour

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:56 PM

In the next ep, can Butchie PLEASE take a shower?

And how come everyone seems to know that Freddie was in Hawaii. I mean, he's not exactly a family friend, but Cissy and Shaunie both knew he'd been in HI.

Edited by ChefDuJour, Jun 24, 2007 @ 11:57 PM.

Brocktoon

Brocktoon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 12:02 AM

Followed by the remainder of the Yost clan, high-tailing it out of the hospital with Shaun on Butchie's back

That was a lovely callback to last week's mention of how Butchie used to put Shaun on his back and take him out into the waves.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 12:18 AM

I believe the implants Butchie was talking about are a form of body modification. See here. From Butchie's description it sounds like he got a type when he can screw on different types of external ornaments, e.g. spikes or "antennas".

Seriously? I guess I'm really out of it, because that doesn't seem like something common enough that the doctor would understand what Butchie was referring to right away. Is that really common like a piercings and tattoo?

I'm thinking some sort of metal plate in Butchie's head from a skateboarding/surfing accident in his youth. Something that made the news, explaining how the doctor knew what Butchie was talking about.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Jun 25, 2007 @ 12:33 AM.