S3 - Jaimie Goodwin: Loves Big Hair and Leg-Lifting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

300 replies to this topic

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:42 PM

As soon as I saw that HMV for her first solo I knew I wasn't going to get a good impression of her. Her dancing didn't do much to change my mind.

She is the oldest 18-19 year old I've ever seen. She styles herself like a 40 year old woman. I just don't care for her yet, or her personality.

She is a clone of a million other, and much better, HMV-loving dancers who have been on this show. I hope that can change though.

Oops, sorry, I meant to type Goodwin and for some reason I typed Baldwin. I hope someone can change this to Goodwin. Sorry! I'm an idiot!

Edited by MarkC99, Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:54 AM.

EmpressI

EmpressI

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:48 PM

This is never a good sign

Which one was Jaime?

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

Jamie danced with Hok.

Steph

Steph

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

Her last name is Goodwin, isn't it?

EmpressI

EmpressI

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:58 PM

ahhh that one!

I love Hok so I didnt notice her much. I just remember her being shorter than him.

ShadowyMoon

ShadowyMoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

I liked that she has boobs and hips and isn't a size zero. She's also got amazing flexibility. Otherwise, she was pretty forgettable.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:48 AM

Shane Sparks: "She's spunky and feisty and I like that". Yeah. I like that too.

Maybe Once

Maybe Once

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:15 AM

Wow. I was overwhelmed with my girlcrush on Jaimie last night...either I'm crazy or part of an exclusive club.....I thought she seemed like a really lovely person, very pretty, and sorry nympho Anya, Jaimie was definitely the sexiest thing on stage.

Maybe it's a symptom of always wanting what you don't have....I am built like Faina with no boobs, shoulders, etc, and I think Jaimie has about the perfect body.

Shallowness aside, I think she has an amazingly positive attitude that is very genuine. She'll attack any style with a good outlook, I think, which in a competition like this is half the battle.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 8:10 AM

I think she did an admirable job, Hok's styling is every bit as difficult to match as Cedric's and Jaimie pulled it off much better than Faina. Shane is just getting way too predictable and repetitive. I can't wait to see more from Jaimie!

TwistTie

TwistTie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 6:39 PM

Is it just me or the Jaimie look kinda like S2's Joy?

pianoblack

pianoblack

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 6:48 PM

I can't wait to watch Jaimie tackle lyrical in light of her amazing heartfelt solos on Allison's youtube page, particularly this one set to the same song Lacey and Kameron danced to this week. Once she (or TPTB) shows us her "personality" and chemistry with Hok, she'll be an audience's fave. (Learn from Cedric! Be good AND sincerely vulnerable.)

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 7:41 PM

I think Hok and Jamie will have a lot of chemistry. They didn't get to interact much on the hip hop but the time when they did, I felt a connection. I think they'll do well.

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

She has Joy's face and Allison's hair.

irisblue

irisblue

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 8:45 PM

I can't wait to watch Jaimie tackle lyrical in light of her amazing heartfelt solos on Allison's youtube page, particularly this one set to the same song Lacey and Kameron danced to this week. Once she (or TPTB) shows us her "personality" and chemistry with Hok, she'll be an audience's fave. (Learn from Cedric! Be good AND sincerely vulnerable.)

pianoblack, she was stunning in that solo. I don't know if its even legit for me to compare, but the emotional intensity in that piece just blew Lacey and Kameron's routine right out of the water. I think it is a great example of how rather than merely "leg-lifting"--its pretty darn exquisite technique that allows the girl to express herself the way she did!

MistressSarcasm

MistressSarcasm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

I don't really understand the comparisons between Jaimie and Allison's dancing -- to me, they are very different lyrical dancers. Allison relied more on Mia Michaels Flailing Emotionally to the Music, while Jaimie is a lot more deliberate with her movements and reliant on technique (especially extensions). To me, Jaimie's style is more reminiscent of Natalie (without the overt sexuality) or Melody from season one (if Melody had every demonstrated that she knew how to do a pirouette).

I think Jaimie is a lovely, talented dancer, but I wish she showed more variety in expression.

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

• Interests:"And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    Shakespeare, "Hamlet" Act 1, Sc. 5, lines 165-167

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 11:09 PM

Haven't seen a full solo from Jamie yet (will visit the YouTube page soon), though the clips they've aired on SYTYCD definitely show Jamie's moves are more deliberate and choreographed. I'm sure I'll like it better than I ever liked Allison's freestyle; Alli's was so free that technique just flew away. When she wasn't flailing she was flipping, and vise versa.

MistressSarcasm, I can remember one time Melody showed good turns. They weren't fast spinning pirouettes per se, but smooth controlled turns with her free leg changing position a couple times. Those nice turns came in her final solo, the one to the slow version of "Listen To Your Heart"--the only solo of Melody's I still enjoy watching and never FF through. I don't think you have to be able to give a clinic on pirouettes to be a skilled, soulful dancer.

MistressSarcasm

MistressSarcasm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

I agree with you in some respects WelcomeStranger. I agree that pirouettes do not a good routine make (god knows I wanted Travis to do something, anything, different during his intro dances). However, beautiful, precise spins should be in every lyrical dancers catalogue of moves, IMHO, and I always found it kind of weird that Melody never seemed to do them, to the point that I wondered if she could do them at all. I will have to see if I can find that solo you mentioned.

I really like lyrical dance, but there hasn't really been a female lyrical dancer on this show to really draw me in. Allison had great emotion, but I wanted more solid technique from her. Melody bored me. I loved Ashle in season 1, but more for her partner work. Except for her audition and her "tribal" solo, I thought Ashle just looked like a derivative jazz dancer in her own style. Natalie was the closest to what I am looking for in a female lyrical dancer: great technique, great performance quality. I didn't enjoy her backstage personality, however.

I can see Jaimie following in Melody's HMV footsteps. I was never really drawn into Melody's dancing during her solos -- she never really moved or excited me. It was just leg, leg, leg. I think Jaimie can come across as cold and bland on camera, but I'd like to give her a chance. Her solos on YouTube have been impressive, so I am hoping she'll capture my interest this season.

pianoblack

pianoblack

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2007 @ 6:23 AM

Okay, Jaimie just got mucho geek cred--she has a Twitter account! Every time she answers the Twitter question "What are you doing?", you can get her reply via SMS (or IM, etc.).

It's great seeing the behind-the-scenes of SYTYCD through this: we get tidbits like:

ok break over. back to rehearsal! It's amazing working with Hok he is such a perfectionist! can't tell u what dance we got but it's great;) 12:49 PM June 16, 2007

and

whew...SAFE! it's on to next week's show!! THANK YOU FOR VOTING! 06:23 PM June 14, 2007

Ok, so the format doesn't allow for alot of details--but it's pretty cool seeing this (brief) commentary of a reality show as it happens.

Arscelona

Arscelona

Couch Potato

• Interests:Football/Soccer, Arsenal, Barcelona, Danny Tidwell, SYTYCD

Posted Jun 19, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

Its official I have a full on girl crush on Jaimie, it all started with that damn hip-hop routine, she was looking incredibly sexy!!

I love the main pic on her Twitter page, its my fav pic of her and Travis, they are so cute, and she has such nice things to say about him on her myspace " and Travis Wall --the only one I completely trust to handle my body and my heart". Aww thats so cute.

And she and Allison are not alike at all. Allison is a lot more free in her movement while Jaimie is more stylized and structured, and I dont think those are the words I'm looking for.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Her personality just seems completely fake. Her voice is very "oh my gah" and "gag me with a spoon". Her mannerisms when she's being interviewed seem so forced, forced giddiness. Then when she said she thought they were going to be in the bottom partners, I rolled my eyes. Really? Even though your partner has been on the show for years and has so many fans?

Her most genuine moment was the scowl on her face after Mary criticized their samba.

Her dancing doesn't do anything for me.

BlueMouse

BlueMouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 10:31 PM

She bugs. Especially the way she talks, although we're not voting on her speech patterns, I know. But it's so annoying? And I just want to smack her? And tell her that not everything has to end in a question? Gah! *pow*

I think she's pretty, though, and she doesn't detract *too* much from my enjoyment of Hok, so I'll let her live. ;o)

TorranceShipman

TorranceShipman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 10:50 PM

I'm nursing a huge Jaimie girlcrush as well. I'm sure it's mostly the hair, but I think of Bernadette Peters and Kate Bush when I look at her. Since I adore those two ladies, Jaimie kind of reaps this weird residual, by-proxy love. The Jaimie Kool-Aid is evidently working overtime for me, as I also find her to be entirely sweet and disarming, and easily the sexiest woman on the show.

GrangerLang

GrangerLang

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 3:10 AM

And I just want to smack her? And tell her that not everything has to end in a question? Gah! *pow*

OH. MY. GOD. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I was ready to stab myself in the ear listening to her segment tonight. I wanted to like her, I really did. She's a lovely enough dancer, and seems like a nice kid, but...Grrrrrrr.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 3:32 AM

I don't think Travis really understands what it takes to win this competition if he thinks Jaime is the best contender for first female winner. I'm sure she's a lovely person, and she's obviously a lovely, talented dancer but she hasn't demonstrated either unusual versatility or a charismatic personality that pops on TV.

shimshamsqrl

shimshamsqrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 7:06 AM

Hi! I'm an idiot! I totally can't keep half the female contestants straight at all, and posted in the wrong thread. Carry on. :-D

Edited by shimshamsqrl, Jun 21, 2007 @ 7:08 AM.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 8:17 AM

I don't think Travis really understands what it takes to win this competition if he thinks Jaime is the best contender for first female winner.

To be fair, he said this a pretty long time ago and way before he realized his brother was in the competition. She's probably still his favorite female, but he hasn't been pimping Jamie quite as much recently as far I can tell. Though the damage is done - she is the IDF fave due partially to him.

I find her very much annoying, but even worse, I don't think she's that great of a dancer. Technically, she may be a genius (though the videos of the past I've seen don't necessarily confirm that) but she doesn't bring the extra something (charisma maybe) that Allison, Travis and Danny bring. So she's pretty useless to me.

Edited by loseresque, Jun 21, 2007 @ 8:19 AM.

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 9:52 AM

I kinda like Jaimie actually. Her speech is a bit annoying, but then LOTS of 18 year old girls talk like that. I don't think we've seen her at her best. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but her being paired with Hok is holding her back. I don't think his strengths are helping her out. If she had been partnered with Pasha, we would get totally different results.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 12:46 PM

Gah! The voice bugs.

I love watching all her youtube stuff, and I think she did a competent job last week and an OK job last night, I want to root for her, but so far she hasn't really made me. Hmmm...

Girl is a BRICK HOUSE though. What a body!

Doughnut68

Doughnut68

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

And I just want to smack her? And tell her that not everything has to end in a question? Gah! *pow*

OH. MY. GOD. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I was ready to stab myself in the ear listening to her segment tonight. I wanted to like her, I really did. She's a lovely enough dancer, and seems like a nice kid, but...Grrrrrrr.

She's an "up-talker." Raises her voice at the end of every statement so it sounds like a question. Even my 11 year old daughter was laughing at it. So that can't be good.

Super dancer though!

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

She's the luckiest dancer in the whole history of the show. She had Travis getting votes for her and she has the ever-popular Hok to hide behind, and her own consistent suckitude and irritating personality don't make an impact. She very much deserved to be in the bottom three tonite.