1-3: "Party Hardy" 2007.06.13 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

Kudos to those of you who called Eddie's murder and Liza knowing about it.

You know, just once I liked to see a teen have a wild party and get away with it :)

Edited by quietone, Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:07 PM.

cmaybur

cmaybur

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:10 PM

Johnny's hot, tanned, shirtless torso was the highlight of my whole day.

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:16 PM

I don't care if this doesn't get a second season, I'm gonna enjoy it while it last.

Michael Cassidy is just having too damn good a time playing Cliff. He does preppy boy psycho?/evil?/misunderstood? well. He's a charming little punk that likes to stir up trouble. I kinda dig it.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the dynamic between Johnny/Niki/Cliff. I like the BFF vibe (with the possibility of something more) between Johnny/Niki and Cliff/Niki just are too cute and naughty to not like. At least to me. Greta just ain't doing it for me. The battle for Niki's soul as Johnny tries to save his friend from what he sees as EvolPuppyKicker!Cliff while Cliff (whose agenda you have no idea about) as much as he likes to jerk Johnny around seems like he really digs Niki. I dunno maybe I'm starved for soapy teen triangles, but when Nikki walked off alone down the street in the middle of the night, I was wishing Cliff had seen her and gone after her to take her in.

I'm glad Liza's being brought into it all by playing a role in the mystery.

Honestly, Johnny's been a pretty good kid. StepDad getting all up in his face while Mom fretted in the other room kinda pissed me off. Unless they go Terry O'Quinn ala The Stepfather with him I don't care.

Edited by TobinAlbers, Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:17 PM.

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

I block out the Johnny and Greta scenes. To me, this is the Cliff show. I never thought someone could look good in a button up shirt and board shorts, but he pulls it off.

RowingPains

RowingPains

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:28 PM

I like Cliff, but the dancing was horrifying.

MiaElle

MiaElle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:30 PM

Another good episode. No surprise that Eliza is the one sending the IMs to Johnny. I'm not digging the actors playing Greta and the stepdad though. But I am really into a possible Nikki/Cliff hookup. Come back Nik!!

rcpubdef98

rcpubdef98

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:44 PM

I feel like I am being reminded of Swan's Crossing, another cheesy teen soap with lots of tension and no action.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:59 PM

Called that shit! Looking forward to seeing what Liza knows.

Seriously, every week, Greta looks different. In that opening scene of her on her laptop, I could have sworn it was a different actress.

As soon as Johnny squirted that lotion all over back, I actually said out loud to my TV, "Here comes Liza." And who lotions up their back and then lies down on it?

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

I want more Nikki/Cliff scenes. They spark when they are together. I want to like Johnny, but he's just so low-key.

moogdroog

moogdroog

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

Ok I’ve been converted to the Cliff love, he is by far the most entertaining character.
My favorite parts of the episode were all the scenes he was in. We got more heavy handed hints about his dark side, i.e. Niki staring towards his window while saying something like ‘some of us are the demons’.
And Cliff’s ‘is he going to want to touch you if he knows the truth’ line to Greta felt genuinely creepy and almost out of place on a teen show.

But all of the Johnny/Greta stuff was just painful.

surfsup79

surfsup79

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 9:28 PM

This episode was pretty much the defintion of predictable. Johnny can't reach sunscreen? Liza comes. Leaving a drunk girl home alone? Kegger. Strange e-mails where pretty much everyone has been eliminated? Liza.

Plus why is the girl who plays Greta a shapeshirter? Honestly she has a like a million different faces in a bad way.

Sapienta

Sapienta

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 9:43 PM

There needs to be more Cliff and Nikki in this how because they are just too good together. Almost as much chemistry as he has with Johnny.

Shawnzy

Shawnzy

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

For what it is, I'm enjoying the show. Not a lot going on on Wednesdays, so this is keeping me entertained for the summer.

Glad to see Liza was actually incorporated and not utterly useless. Yes-- this was the epitome of predictable, but still, her few scenes with Johnny are compelling. And now, since she is the one sending the messages, what exactly are her intentions? Before, it just seemed like a teen with a crush. Now, it seems like there's something more. Something deeper. She doesn't just -want- Johnny; she wants to tell him the truth.

What the truth is, we shall soon find out.

Nikki is the only believable teenager on the show, aside from her AA membership. The actress never really seems like she's acting, and her dynamic with Johnny last week and with Cliff this week are far more believable than any pseudo-intellectual conversation Greta and Johnny share. Kevin Williamson really needs to quit hitting the thesaurus.

I think I missed the scene with the stepdad getting in Johnny's face. Did it come on right after the final commercial break, right before he takes the trash out and sees Greta again? Cause throughout the episode, I found him endearing. He was the one who told the mom not to worry about him, and to put some trust into him. If he got on Johnny's ass about his house being wrecked, I honestly don't blame him. His fault or not.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

I think that there is enough blame to go around.

Niki, you're a guest in someone else's house. You don't invited other people over.

Guests, you knew you weren't invited.

But Johnny, your mother trusted you to be responsible while the adults weren't home. This means that you don't leave an alcoholic that you know is not sober alone in your house. That is irresponsibility on his part.

If TPTB want to convince me of Cliff's heterosexuality than they have to convince MC to play Cliff very differently.

Trizzie

Trizzie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:48 PM

Seriously, every week, Greta looks different.

Word. I couldn't figure out who she was in the first scene. I thought it was a new character.

And Cliff? So much hotter than he was on the OC. In my mind he is the lead character on this show. What was up with creepy boyfriend hiding in his room though? That was bizzare. Considering Cliff looks like he could hold his own in a fight with him.

RowingPains

RowingPains

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:04 AM

Johnny and Greta bore me together, but i sure don't want Johnny to hook up with Liza. Everytime Liza gets around Johnny he gets this smug look on his face like 'yeah i know you think i'm hot, but too bad i'm out of your league; now excuse me while i pine after this hot blonde chick'. Or maybe it's just bad acting and i'm reading way too much into it. Anyway i think Liza is too good for Johnny.

Dr Vorg

Dr Vorg

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:25 AM

Perhaps Liza doesn't want Johnny put in the same situation with Greta and Cliff that Eddie was in and that is suppose to be her motive for IMing him?

However, I am sticking with my theory from the Episode 2 thread that the science lab/scientist crap about Liza must come into play somehow.

In addition, Cliff is doing an excellent job of being the creep/asshole. He reminds me of James Spader's character from "Pretty in Pink," which I suppose makes me too old to be watching this show.

MiaElle

MiaElle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 6:16 AM

Cliff is doing an excellent job of being the creep/asshole. He reminds me of James Spader's character from "Pretty in Pink," which I suppose makes me too old to be watching this show.

That's exactly what I thought while watching the episode! (Except for the too old part).

Snarf

Snarf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 6:23 AM

Good WeeCap! So Not!Dead Eddie really is Dead Eddie? I've managed to confuse myself. (Damn you crappy summer programming for lowering my IQ!) I'm thinking Cliff is probably into Johhny more than Gretta. (Could this be why Eddie was so upset? Remember Gretta's warning to Johnny about his lack of boundries?) I agrree he is by far the most interesting charecter on the show, sociopath or not. As for Gretta, three episodes and she looks different every time. Did they space production between episodes that much?
That was some utterly lame dancing at that "party" Yikes. Cringe inducing. Also didn't see the reveal comming at the end of the episode (see third sentence of post) So if Eddie was murdered, who and why? Oh and the theme music and opening credits? Me likey.

edited cause my thoughts are too non-sequiter first thing in the morning before my caffine fix kicks in

Edited by Snarf, Jun 14, 2007 @ 6:33 AM.

Nolebucgrl

Nolebucgrl

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, movies, tv (of course), FOOTBALL, baseball

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 6:32 AM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks Greta is about 5 different girls playing one. Every time I see her she looks different and I really don't understand what's up. Maybe she's just so insignificant that they are replacing her for every scene. haha I'm with the posters above who think this show should be all about the Cliff as the lead. Johnny does nothing for me and I'm not sure why all the gals we've met seem to want him. Good call on the Liza the emailer!

kellygirl

kellygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:45 AM

Sadly, I felt like there were only about 15 minutes of actually relevant show this week. Too many shots of babes in bikinis and too much Nikki. I'm not really sure what her point is unless they were just preparing to set up more storylines once the Eddie mystery was solved. I was actually kind of thinking (hoping?) that as she wandered down the street at the end that a car would run her down.

Beyond that all we got was Greta's video of pain, Cliff's threats to reveal everything, and the not really shocking revelation that Liza's the one emailing Johnny. Though, did anyone else think Liza looked really odd when she walked away from the computer? I thought she looked kind of hypnotized. Between that, her lab, and Johnny's Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde comment it got me thinking about possibilities that will I'm sure not pan out into anything at all. Especially if you throw in Greta's shape-shifting ablilities. Kidding (mostly).

Edited by kellygirl, Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:47 AM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:55 AM

Oh Joe R! That's one of the finest ideas for a t-shirt I've seen in a long time. Heh.

You know I'm not a big fan of this type of show, but Mrs. Macc is, so I'm watching it. I admit to liking The OC very much, so I can't help but measure this one against it. As far as I can tell, the huge, gigantic, Peter Gallagher's eyebrows sized difference, is the complete lack of humor in this show. I need comic relief with my stupid hot depressed people.

Edited by JTMacc99, Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:55 AM.

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

I was actually kind of thinking (hoping?) that as she wandered down the street at the end that a car would run her down.

BWAH! I was totally thinking the same thing.

If TPTB are trying to make Greta some mysterious, emotional girl it's not working. I can't figure out if it's the writing, the actress, or both.

Totally loved Cliff's smackdown of the boyfriend's faux NFL career.

*sniff* I missed Jessie Jo.

monkipie

monkipie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

I think I actually enjoyed this episode more than I did the first two but man, I'm looking forward to Gossip Girl.

I can't get over how bad the acting in this show is at times, or maybe it's the ridiculous lines they have to recite.

Joon

Joon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 9:51 AM

I'm getting the sinking suspicion that Cliff was attracted to Eddie rather than Greta, which led to the whole death/murder thing.

The plot of an evil gay sociopath is something that should have been tossed out, back in the McCarthy-era when it first began making the rounds in movies and books. But I wouldn't put Williamson above using this trite "twist."

Edited by Joon, Jun 14, 2007 @ 9:53 AM.

Shakescene

Shakescene

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

Cliff...in a button up shirt and board shorts, but he pulls it off

I thought that was an odd choice for a "day at the pool."

Seriously, every week, Greta looks different. In that opening scene of her on her laptop, I could have sworn it was a different actress.

I honestly didn't know who that character was supposed to be...when it became clear that it was "Greta" I was, like, okay, if you say so...

What was up with creepy boyfriend hiding in his room though? That was bizzare.

Maybe the creepiest moment of the series so far. And why didn't Cliff's mom seem to care that her boyfriend was with her teenage son in his room late at night with the door closed?

I was actually kind of thinking (hoping?) that as she wandered down the street at the end that a car would run her down.

BWAH! I was totally thinking the same thing.

Me three! I thought it was going to add another shocking layer of mystery to this show.

Johnny's sunscreen scene was weird for two reasons:
  • Did he actually think he was going to be able to do it himself? Although he gets credit for giving it his best shot by contorting his arms backward.
  • He didn't seem to apply any to his front, but after Liza smeared it all over his back, he flops down on the chair, on his back.
Opening credits: On second view, I give them a thumbs up. Very nifty, strange, moody...they fit the show.

Edited by Shakescene, Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:38 PM.

Bacio83

Bacio83

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 1:00 PM

I liked this ep the best out of the three so far and I'm not surprised JoeR gave it a better rating (c+) Isn't it the first ep not penned by Williamson himself?

What does that tell ya?

I thought Liza was posessed in that end scene. If these are the same creators as Carnivale then that makes sense.

I can't wait till they use Liza to her full potential I'm sick of the rinse and repeat Johnny/Gretta scenes. She's just not impressive.

Edited by Bacio83, Jun 14, 2007 @ 1:13 PM.

tinyurl373

tinyurl373

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 1:08 PM

I don't remember who called the Liza iming thing on episode 2 thread, but you were totally right!!!!!!!!!!! I guess it makes sense, seeing as she hasn't really had an important part in the plot yet. I really want to know what was with the whole science experiment in the garage thing. I mean, I wander how it's going to relate to the story????????????/

I think that I liked Greta the best in the pilot. She was more interesting, and her is WAY better in that reddish color. I totally agree that she looks different in every episode. I don't hate her though.

I love Cliff. He is so hot, and he plays the jackass who really does have feelings really well. It was hilarious when he called his mom's boyfriend on the whole NFL thing. We finally got some humor in the show after 3 epiosodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as this is a soapy summer show, why aren't people going out yet??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the show will be way more interesting after that.

It still doesn't compare to The OC, but seeing as that show's cancelled, the OTH finale was crap, and Gossip Girl isn't coming until the fall, I'm willing to get hooked.

mrhooks

mrhooks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 4:56 PM

The credits are like a bad Target commercial.

Greta is poorly written, but Amber Heard is hot. She and the current lack of shows to watch are the only reasons why I'm still tuning in (okay, that and I'm waiting for the tranny to "accidentally" kill someone like he did in "Boston Legal"). I agree she should go back to her original hair color though. She also should never wear anything that covers her abs.

hellosunshine24

hellosunshine24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 4:59 PM

And Cliff? So much hotter than he was on the OC.

Um, YEAH! Can you say DELICIOUS?!!? Man, he has gotten VERY good-looking!

Me three! I thought it was going to add another shocking layer of mystery to this show.

Me too. And it would have made me giggle, since I'm really not crazy about Nikki.

the OTH finale was crap

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and thought it was the best episode of the season.. maybe one of the best in the history of OTH.

I REALLY hope they pick this show back up, because it's truly entertaining and I really enjoy it. Sure, it's not as good as The OC, and it's not going to be as good as Gossip Girl, but still, why not? I need more soapy teen dramas in my life, especially since One Tree Hill isn't coming back until Jan. of 2008.

ETA: Am I the only person around who actually likes Greta and the actress? I find Greta to be a compelling character, and I'm curious to learn more about her.

Edited by hellosunshine24, Jun 14, 2007 @ 5:00 PM.