5-1: "Auditions #1 and #2" 2007.06.13 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

145 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

From Zap2It:

Performers begin their quest to become the funniest new comic in the country.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

OMG Arj Barker! LOVE him. I think he’s slumming but I’m in as long as he is, baby.

The “pheasant” girl has potential.

Would have ditched Lori Camp (?) in favor of the red-haired Irish guy.

Headscratcher of the night was the Greenwich lady comic. I don’t get it.

How long before one of the other comics tears Mel Silverback’s head off in a frenzy of rage?

Texas had some damn funny comics and they didn’t take as many as they should have. Instead of a pre-ordained quota of comics per location, they should be taking the funniest from each place, and if that means taking 10 from Texas and only 3 from New York, that’s what they should have done.

Already I see much more talent than last year, and we're still not done.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

My recording messed up so I didn't get to see most of it.

Torgo98

Torgo98

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

Pretty good kickoff. Bill Bellamy is a vast improvement over Anthony Clark. I never thought much of him as a comic, but Bellamy got some chuckles out of me. The less said about Ant, the better. What was up with his hair? Is that a piece?

Good crop of comics. The Gorilla Guy was all gimmick, but it worked. Surely, it will get tired soon. And I'm sorry, but Gerry Dee was not in the top 3 in Montreal. Richard Ryder deserved his spot.

Surprised at some of the comics that I recognized. Sabrina Matthews is my early pick for the whole thing. She's flawless. I thought Arj Barker was among the better known comedians out there. But, like Kathleen Madigan or Rich Vos, he's not a household name, so it's no big deal.

And no Buck Star! So far so good.

shannon720

shannon720

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:08 PM

Mel Silverback walked onstage and I was immediately annoyed... even if the jokes are decent, it's still a guy in a monkey suit.

I'm rooting for Sabrina Matthews to go all the way. I met her once after a show, and she's incredibly cool.

RobertBlue

RobertBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

So, we already have at least one comedian who previously had at least 2 solo Comedy Central specials make it through to Vegas: Sabrina Matthews. I love her so much, and I only heard her repeat one joke from all the times I've seen her on TV, and that's kind of her signature gag - where she just casually mentions that she's a lesbian leading into a joke and goes off on a nice little rant about "Oh, should I have made it a point to mention I was a lesbian? Would it have helped if I stuck up the band, screamed "I'm Gay" and started the parade with rainbow flags waving as I marched into the theater?" Not word for word, of course, but it's hysterical.

Did that Andy girl that was Dave Mordal v1.6 move on? I only heard Sabrina mentioned and then walked away from the TV.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

We laughed at a lot tonight but we rewound Gerry Dee's 2nd set at least 3 times because we were laughing so hard. His timing was dead on.

I feel like I've seen Ralph Harris before. Has he done anything else?

I know that a lot of you hate Ant, and I have my issues with him as well, but really I could watch a show with Alonzo, Ant and Kathleen just sitting around talking. They all crack me up.

Edited by Aimee Myers, Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:12 PM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

Once again, Montreal is shown as a frozen wasteland (well ok, it did snow pretty heavily that day) and with hockey! And mounties and horse poop! And no mention that it hosts one of the largest comedy festivals in the world where many comics got their big breaks? Huh.

I have to say, I enjoyed Gorilla Man a lot more than I should have. And thankful that the troll from Muchmusic did not make it to L.A. (Don't know his name but those who have watched Video on Trial know who I speak of.)

Richard Ryder deserved his spot.

MOT! (French for "WORD!" Heh.) I thought he was hilarious and bugged that he was beated out by Gerry. Not that Gerry isn't funny but this is his third trip to L.A.? Maybe the universe is trying to tell him something.

Edited by mtlchickie, Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:15 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Well, that wasn't painful. Granted, we haven't hit Los Angeles yet, and that's where the big-time media whores hail from, but it's a good opener. The schlubs from The Tonight Show are gone, we got three battle-hardened comics as scouts/judges, and there wasn't a huge hiccup. Of course, since I'm not into AI, I'm not experienced in determining talent and who got robbed this early in the game. Well...maybe the one chick in Montreal that looked kinda like Harry Potter.

Wali Collins? Holy crap, I remember back when he hosted Stand Up, Stand Up, a show on Comedy Central that showed bits and pieces of routines. Too bad he didn't advance...I liked him.

And no Buck Star?!? Damn, the producers do have a clue!

ETA: Have this many gay comics gotten that much screentime in past seasons? I'm all for it...wipe the memory of Ant out of our heads for good.

Edited by Lantern7, Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:16 PM.

Tejayes

Tejayes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like Sabrina Matthews. She wasn't bad, but her jokes just took too long to get funny.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

So, we already have at least one comedian who previously had at least 2 solo Comedy Central specials make it through to Vegas: Sabrina Matthews.

You can add Arj Barker to that list and I'm pretty sure I've seen Dwayne Kennedy on CC a few times.

Andi did make it through.

This is so different from last season, when I was thinking "there aren't enough funny people in that group to fill all the spots." This season I'm going, what do you mean, there's only one spot left??? There are at least 3 funny comedians still waiting to be called."

I agree Richard Ryder was screwed. And I can't remember names but the guy who thought God was busy listening to a song the day he was created was funny, and so was Roy Wood Jr and several others from Texas. Yep, still can't let that go. Texas was robbed!

The Canadian girl with the short hair is going to be very good in a few years. Intelligent material, just needs time to develop her stage presence.

Edited by Bentley, Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:24 PM.

oftenquiet

oftenquiet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

mtlchickie, you mean Trevor Boris? Yeah, he annoys me, both on Video on Trial and on those "Viewer Mail" segments I see on the Comedy Network whenever I'm watching the Daily Show or Colbert Report. Ugh. I'm kinda glad the other VoT person (Debra DiGiovanni) made it though, she seems funnier.

Add me to the list that thought Richard Ryder got robbed. He was one of the few people who actually made me laugh tonight.

Diablotien

Diablotien

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:28 PM

I think this season has a lot more potential than the last one. The only decision I didn't really agree with was Gerry Dee, I just don't think he is funny. The girl with the short hair (whose name is slipping my mind), I thought was much funnier, she was the only person to really make me laugh out loud.

I was glad to see Sabrina Matthews made it through, I've been a fan of hers for a couple of years, and the joke about the cats and the microwave is pretty hilarious.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Here we go again. I really hope that there's a lot of the performances that we aren't seeing. Half of the people that were chosen were my least favorite and the ones that seemed to get the fewest laughs. And that lady that one the $1000 prize? the hell?

I'm so confused.

eponine82

eponine82

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:41 PM

Gorilla man? WTF? Why was Ant laughing like he had never seen a douchebag in a Gorilla outfit before? I didn't even crack a smile at his act. Not funny and I can't believe they put him through. And Lori blonde chick Chase is so....bland. Sigh. At least my man Dwayne Kennedy made it through.

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:42 PM

Was the crapulant Rocky LaPorte on yet? I accidentally caught the pilot for his sit-com and he is roughly as funny as getting kicked in the nuts right after your dog is run over.

For those unfamiliar with Mr. LaPorte, he's the one that does the "emergency contact" joke at the end of one of the commercials.

Galatea

Galatea

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

Have this many gay comics gotten that much screentime in past seasons? I'm all for it...wipe the memory of Ant out of our heads for good.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that there are two gay judges!

bneeweenee

bneeweenee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:04 PM

From Aimee Myers:

He said he was on Seinfeld. Back in the 90s when standups were taking over the world:)

I, too, think there must have been more to the acts than we were shown. But I also think that some (like Sabrina and Arj) must be known by the judges and can get through on reputation. Maybe they were even called up and asked to audition (like a certain Idol who was photographed with certain producers years before being on a certain show).

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:10 PM

I was rooting for that female Canadian Harry Potter.

Ralph Harris did a Comedy Central standup special where he did a lot of little kid and old guy impressions.

BellaLugosiDead

BellaLugosiDead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:16 PM

Alright, I'm done with this shit.

I forgot how sucky this show was. Damn ANT was everything that was wrong with it and *he* becomes the judge!? Pays to have the right agent.

I know they edit it down but nothing in Sabrina's act was funny. Nothing. The cat hit the buttons on the microwave. Oh wait her mother only thought that. argh and it kept going on and on. See, the other cat was going to turn it on! 'Cuz they had a suicide pact! Whee!

Andi's pheasant pun was funny so I can agree with that, but so was so clear that the lemon wedge spill guy was way ahead of the rest of the class. He was a no brainer, but apparently the judges can slip under that criterion. I think I would have given that Biggerstaff guy a shot too just because he had a funny outlook didnt do any material about his name.

So thanks for making it such an easy decision NBC- one episode is enough to remind me I dont need to watch your shit.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

(like a certain Idol who was photographed with certain producers years before being on a certain show)

Who?!

I chuckled at some stuff and groaned at a lot as well. They chose some people that I was scratching my head over....like the lady who was the audience fave in NY. WTH?

miatalover

miatalover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:39 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this ... but I kinda miss Buck Star.

EmilyPostPunk

EmilyPostPunk

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:54 PM

Jane Condon? Lori Chase?

Oh well. At least Alonzo's still hot.

renfield

renfield

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:56 PM

The Canadian girl with the short hair is going to be very good in a few years. Intelligent material, just needs time to develop her stage presence.

So true. I was really impressed by her approach to stand up- very cerebral and subversive. She reminded me of a young David Cross (only cuter).

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

Yeah he's had a half-hour special on Comedy Central. I like his stuff ok - kind of a cross between Jon Heffron and Kevin Hart.

So, we already have at least one comedian who previously had at least 2 solo Comedy Central specials make it through to Vegas: Sabrina Matthews.

You can add Arj Barker to that list and I'm pretty sure I've seen Dwayne Kennedy on CC a few times.

Yeah Bob Hawkins had at least one special as well, but he didn't get passed on so apparently he wasn't an invited ringer.

I thought everyone who got the callback was at least decent. Gorilla Guy was better than you'd expect someone with a costume gimmick to be. On the other hand, of all the comics who make a career out of joking about their looks / background, at least he picked an original premise. Also I was trying to figure out who Silverback's voice sounds like, and the best I could come up with is Howard Stern. Anyone else hear something?

Mosquito

Mosquito

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:13 AM

Ugh, I can't believe Debra DiGiovanni made it through and Ryan Belleville didn't. I want to like Debra, but she's just so... much. I wish she'd dial it down a little bit. I get that the "desperate for approval" attitude is part of the act, but she makes me so tired.

Also, Laurie Elliot didn't even make it through the first round in the Montreal auditions? That's bullshit - she is hilarious. I saw her special on the Comedy Network (here in Canada) and I honestly couldn't breathe from laughing so hard. My friends and I quote from her act in conversation at least twice a week.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:20 AM

One thing about this show is that it reminds me why I hate so many comedians. How many sets start off with what makes that comedian "special."

"I'm gay and..."
"I'm Latino and..."
"I have ADD and..."
"I'm a gay Latino with ADD and..."

I don't just think it's offputting (like your wacky characteristic should automatically make it hilarious) but it's limiting to the comedian. I just feel when the first thing you do is bring attention to what makes you "different" (and when 90% of your act is based off of that one fact) it really makes you seem more like a novelty act than a true comedian.

kamy

kamy

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:22 AM

WAHOO! Last Comic Standing has its own forum!

Now on to business. I am Canadian. I am black.

Canada is a diverse country. We do have many different black people who live in this country. And many different Asian people. And many different Latino/Hispanic people. And many different Aboriginal people. And yes, many different white people. But honestly, a wider variety of people than just the 25 white people you saw tonite in Montreal who were:

a) gay
b) last performed on "Just For Laughs" or one of the other various comedy programs on CBC/Yuk Yuks/CTV/Much Music etc etc etc... (more or less, kinda recognizable in Canadian media, and strangers to the rest of the world in terms of common knowledge)

or
c) both

and who could afford to travel to Montreal immediately just to attempt to promote themselves further, as opposed to being known as "hey, thats the guy i last saw on...".

Sheesh.

Congradulations to Debra DiGiovanni (i am sorry i can't remember how to spell her last name). Yes, shes the chunky chick, who hates the word spinster and prefers to be called "retrosexual"

http://www.nowtoront...cover_story.php

I really hope she goes far. I really do.

I was rooting for that female Canadian Harry Potter.

i was too : D

Beyond that....A GUY IN A MONKEY SUIT.

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

Russell Peters is either at home watching this and cracking up. Cuz this easily looks so pathetic. Or is just cursing at the television screen. Then again, he is an amazing comedian, a cool Canadian, a success now, and has a life.

The only positive thing i can say about this season so far is the new host - yea, lets give Bill Bellamy a job!

beyond that....Daaammmnnnn

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:24 AM

I loved Mel Silverback. That stuff killed! The shtick kind of reminds me of "Triumph the Insult Comic Dog" in a way (who I also love).

Any comedian who makes Dian Fossey jokes thinks highly of his audience.

Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 12:25 AM

I was surprised and excited to see Sabrina Matthews on this show. I always laugh all the way through her Comedy Central specials when they get rerun, no matter how many times they've been played. I can't believe Richard Ryder didn't get through, though. Didn't he have a CC special, too? I swear I've seen someone who looks just like him, and also happenned to be gay, on the channel before.

I can't believe they let a guy in a gorilla mask through. I just... wow.

Okay, what the hell happenned to Ant? I've been wondering that all through Celebrity Fit Club. I assume there's some weight loss, but his whole head looks completely different.