To Get To The Other Side: Spoilers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 11:34 PM

Spoilery!

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 8:31 AM

The top ten:

Gerry Dee
Deb DiGiovanni
Amy Schumer
Dante
Jon Reep
Ralph Harris
Matt Kirshen
Doug Benson
Lavelle Crawford
Gina Yashere

Edited by suzysite, Jun 28, 2007 @ 8:36 AM.

retrograde

retrograde

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 8:32 AM

Nicking this out of the old LCS thread, because it's more relevant here:

They already showed the Australian auditions over here. The people going through to the semis are Fiona O'Loughlin, Laurence Mooney, and Adam Vincent. The first two are pretty famous over here, though I personally don't like either of them. That said, I think Fiona O'Loughlin has the best chance of the three of them. She does mildly-un-PC stuff making fun of her kids, and I suppose may have an advantage having a lot of experience on TV and in front of huge audiences. Here is a clip.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 8:01 AM

I thought I read somewhere that there wasn't going to be a house this year. Did anyone else hear that too or am I imagining things?

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 10:07 AM

I really hated the boat from last year. The house is part of what made S1/S2 work

Nikdeanh

Nikdeanh

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Yeah! Doug Benson! I really liked Andi Smith from the NYC auditions, bummed she didn't make it.

If I'm not mistaken, because this is the spoiler thread, blacking the spoilers isn't necessary.

Omar G

Omar G

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

That is correct. Don't tag spoilers here.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 11:13 PM

Terribly disappointed Fiona didnt make it through to the F10. Being an Australian, Ive seen a lot of her work and she cracks me up more effectively than most other stand up comics.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 5:15 PM

I'm terribly disappointed in that list. Seven of them have already appeared and none were ones I'd pick for the top ten. Especially disappointing that not one Aussie is on that list as they were much better than anyone in the LA group.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

I, for one, absolutely love Lavelle Crawford. He's a regular on ComicView and he's been on the "Laffapalooza" specials, and everytime he manages to make me laugh to the point of not being able to breathe.

Hooray for Doug for making the Top 10, but I'm calling right now that Lavelle wins the whole thing (well...he makes me laugh too much, and I want him to win)

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 8:35 AM

Here's a small sample of Lavelle Crawford's comedy. Good stuff.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 11:41 AM

Where is Arj Barker's name on that list? Where?

kickedinthehead

kickedinthehead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

Gerry Dee is my favorite, I guess, from that list. I'm somewhat familiar with him from before this show, but not familiar enough to know whether I really like him or not (I've never seen him live or anything). But I did like that bit about the slow reader.

I'm also somewhat familiar with Jon Reep, but have never found him THAT funny. What I've seen from him on the show so far has been ... painful.

As for the others, they're all new to me, and based on what I've seen, I suppose Danté and Matt Kirshen MIGHT have potential. I didn't like Doug Benson or Gina Yashere, and REALLY didn't like the other two female comedians.

Add me to the list of people who thinks a house is what makes the show. I hope they do have one this year!

RobertBlue

RobertBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2007 @ 8:03 PM

Wait. Sabrina doesn't make the house?

Oh, right, the very slow building delivery with smart and dry punchlines that never does well on this show. Forgot about that. Same reason Tig didn't make "the house".

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 5:46 PM

Wow, you mean they're not enforcing 50-50 gender split of previous seasons by casting a bunch of unfunny women who "make good television"? (I am disappointed that Sabrina didn't make it, though - she was funnier than several of the guys on that list.)

The Duchess

The Duchess

Channel Surfer

• Interests:College football<br />Dirty, Sexy, Money<br />Grey's Anatomy<br />Friday Night Lights<br />The Office<br />Stupid reality shows

Posted Jul 12, 2007 @ 4:46 PM

While watching the list of the top 32 last night, I called out who I thought should be in the top 10 (based on LCS and what I'd seen on other shows). Of those, only 4 seem to have made it to the real top 10 (Gerry Dee, Jon Reep, Matt Kirshen, and Lavelle Crawford).

Actual top 10 ..... vs ..... Should be top 10
Gerry Dee ..................... Gerry Dee
Jon Reep....................... Jon Reep
Lavelle Crawford ............ Lavelle Crawford
Matt Kirshen ................. Matt Kirshen
Deb DiGiovanni .............. Fiona ???
Amy Schumer ............... Andy Smith
Dante ......................... Tommy Johnigan
Ralph Harris ................. Dwayne Kennedy
Doug Benson ............... John Caparulo
Gina Yashere ............... Sabrina Matthews

Edited by The Duchess, Jul 12, 2007 @ 4:47 PM.

really91

really91

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2007 @ 10:50 PM

Gina Yashere ............... Sabrina Matthews

I'd have them both in there, because they're both awesome.

I only had a handful of favorites in the semifinal group, and it looks like only Gina Yashere and Matt Kirshen made the finals, so I guess I'm officially rooting for someone with an accent to win. I'm also going to have to develop a crush on one of them, since all my cute boys are absent from the list. Ant must be so disappointed.

The missing name I'm really surprised about is Tommy Johnagin - for some reason I was positive he was going to do extremely well in the competition. On the plus side, none of the ones who particularly bugged me are there either, so that's something.

PMS Babe

PMS Babe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2007 @ 8:16 PM

I'm thrilled Gina made it. I thought she was hilarious!

We were just in the UK on vacation ~ where of course it rained non-stop. We kept REPEATEDLY quoting her joke about "drizzle and subtle racism."

I'm also very glad to see that Doug Benson made it. I can't remember who most of the others are, but I know that there will be at least two comics who will make me laugh.

londonfroglet

londonfroglet

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2007 @ 9:29 PM

I'm all for Gina Yashere, but I'm positively heartbroken that Fiona O'Loughlin doesn't make it into the house. It's not so much what she says, but how she has polished and perfected the delivery of it all. Any woman can make a joke out of, "I don't know my kids' names because I drink like a fish," but you get Fiona's use of her voice and Fiona's timing and delivery and I am just rolling on the floor.

On the other hand, do you ever have so much respect for someone that you actually hope they don't win or get selected or what have you? I'd almost rather bask in her minimal exposure and then go on a scavenger hunt to find further material than see a genuine get whored out by NBC. From what I can tell, she has a great deal of exposure in Australia anyway.

danely

danely

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2007 @ 5:03 PM

I got an email from the people who get the audiences for the LCS tapings and they sent out this horrible sounding nonsense:

On Wednesday, July 25th we are taping a special performance challenge at Los Angeles' MEDIEVAL TIMES! Be a part of the audience and watch the comedians put on their armor and engage in comedy jousting. ...[snip!] This taping will last approximately 3 to 3 and a half hours.

retrograde

retrograde

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2007 @ 7:14 AM

From what I can tell, she has a great deal of exposure in Australia anyway.

She does, but I can see why she'd see the show as an opportunity. Most comics who 'make it' here go into TV hosting, sketch comedy or radio stuff, and she's really not suitable for the first two. She could probably do breakfast radio on a commercial station, but those tend to make good comics turn to suck between blatant advertorials, bad music and lame station tags.

Goob

Goob

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

I think The Dutchess' list nailed it. Leaving Fiona, Tommy Johnagin, and Dwayne Kennedy in the cold has to somehow be a criminal offense. Johnagin was by far one of the funniest comics to be shown this season.

Truth be told, I didn't think any of the first 5 finalist we saw make it through this week were that good. I've liked some of Doug Benson's other stuff I've heard before, but he wasn't all that funny this time around.