Destination Truth

• Please log in to reply

219 replies to this topic

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 3:03 PM

Cool, I can't wait to see that!

I know what you mean about enjoying this show more than Ghost Hunters right now. GH has gotten so formulaic and predictable. And I also get a kick out of seeing the pre-trip research, with the blackboard notes and drawings. I could live without being reminded that they use orbitz each week, though. Why don't they just put up the orbitz logo over the "Hey, looky at the big plane going from Point A to Point B!" shot? We'd get the point.

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 7:14 PM

So either my kitten has a huge crush on Josh Gates, or he saw something in King Tut's tomb :). (Please ignore the mess, I have a small child :):

Josh and Crew's Biggest Feline Fan watches Destination Truth.

Luaugirl

Luaugirl

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

ITA with the Josh/Jael vibe. Didn't he carry her out of the club in Mexico? They seem awfully careless to me. I live in Florida and we have over 40 kinds of snakes down here. Luckily, only 7 of them are venomous. As far as that "water moccasin" they saw, it must have been a baby. The adults are very fat and appear to be black. I know because I had one in my pool last week. Alligators can be aggressive, but tend to attack things that are smaller than they are. Their eyes aren't bigger than their stomachs.

Loved the trip to Egypt. But, I also don't understand the mad rush to get back to LA. Amazing that they were allowed to spend the night in King Tut's tomb. It must have been time to make another tourist sacrifice. The light anomaly was fascinating. Once again, though, I didn't think the spirits would be speaking English.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

How on earth do they get to go to such fabulous and usually locked down locations? Last week they got to spend the night in King Tut's tomb (and don't get me started on my jealousy) and this week they get access to Chernobyl. It's crazy the places they are allowed into.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

The figure they got on the thermal at Chernobyl was just wild. If that wasn't a someone, I'd like to know what the hell it was. That place was just creepy as hell, just because it was totally walked away from for so long. When Josh took the evidence to Jason and Grant, and they were looking at the small hot spot in the one building, they said it might be an animal. I'm surprised that any mammals could live there, considering the amount of radiation there is.
I'm really enjoying this season. I loved Josh's face when the guy told him that he wanted him to kiss the cobra. Josh has got a set of big cojones to do that. No way in hell would I even get close.

NiftyKnitter 74

NiftyKnitter 74

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:14 PM

There's debate about it, but apparently the area around Chernobyl is now a nature preserve populated with bears, wolves, and bison.

Gank Em

Gank Em

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:56 PM

I love when investigations take place in abandoned buildings, but this was more than an abandoned building, it was an abandoned city that had been completely evacuated. Chernobyl was eerily cool. I’m all for being adventurous, but risking radiation poisoning takes it to a whole other level. I wished the whole episode had been devoted entirely to an investigation of that place. Every time they seemed to pick up on something possibly paranormal, the radiation levels went up and they had to leave that area. Too bad because it really was an intriguing place. No EVP’s, huh? Interesting thermal hit, though.

I loved Josh's face when the guy told him that he wanted him to kiss the cobra. Josh has got a set of big cojones to do that. No way in hell would I even get close.

Hee. I agree, OSM Mom. The grin on Josh’s face after he successfully kissed the cobra without dying in the process was comical. I believe he may well have peed his pants. I can’t believe he accused Mamdouh, the game warden of being officially the craziest person he’s ever met. He should take a good look in the mirror. They are both crazy if you ask me. Kiss the cobra. Bite the cobra. How about leaving the cobra the hell alone. Sadly, the “cobra make out session” was the best part of the second investigation.

I adore Josh more with each passing episode. This week he risked getting both radiation poisoning and snake poisoning just to entertain us. I love this guy!!

How on earth do they get to go to such fabulous and usually locked down locations? Last week they got to spend the night in King Tut's tomb (and don't get me started on my jealousy) and this week they get access to Chernobyl. It's crazy the places they are allowed into.

emma675, You're not alone in your jealousy. I am sooooo jealous that they investigate locations I can only dream about. Oh, well, at least we get to live vicariously through them.

apparently the area around Chernobyl is now a nature preserve populated with bears, wolves, and bison.

Thanks for the link, NiftyKnitter 74. I'm going to check it out.

Just to add something about the previous episode:
Yay! Josh and the team finally sat down to eat the local cuisine. Ramy Romany, ‘aka’ Egyptian romance cover model(according to Josh) and Egyptologist asking Josh, “How are the testicles?” was hilarious. Bull penis, brains, and testicles…Sick!, but funny, too.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2009 @ 2:12 PM

I got a chance to watch this since Top Chef was a repeat this week. I loved the Chernobyl investigation, but I agree that I wouldn't risk radioactive poisoning just to see if there were spirits around. The figure in the thermal was definitely creepy. I don't think they even tried to do EVP's (do they normally?), since their radiation suits probably prevented it. Also, unless they fall into GHI's 'English is the universal language of the paranormal', I don't think they had a Russian or Ukranian speaker in the group.

The second investigation had a lot of potential, but in the end was a letdown. Do they consider the whole thing debunked because of the video of the fox? Because there are a couple of serious flaws in their reasoning if they do: 1) Would not the locals recognize a fox?, 2) Would an animal that small (foxes are not that big) leave what appeared to be a pretty hefty pawprint?, and 3) What about the growl? Even the museum guy admitted that was the growl of a pretty big canine. Heaven knows it would have had me running the other way! ;-)

Edited by Quilt Fairy, Oct 1, 2009 @ 2:12 PM.

pink scare

pink scare

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 1:25 AM

I wished the whole episode had been devoted entirely to an investigation of that place.

I would watch a 10 hour live special (a la Ghost Hunters Halloween investigations) of that place. I didn't think they could find a location creepier than Doll Island, but they did.

I am a little disappointed that the show seems to be taking a distinct turn towards "paranormal" investigations rather than "cryptozoology" investigations. As I've mentioned before, as a non-believer, I'm much more optimistic about the D:T team identifying a previously unidentified species than I am them finding proof positive of ghosts. Next week looks like another pointless (IMO) investigation in another awesome locale.

Quilt Fairy, I think the conclusion of the second investigation was that a combination of feral dog attacks and fox sightings (which I gathered were rare by the way the zoologist was so impressed by the video footage) created a collective mythical fox-dog creature.

Eme

Eme

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

I adore Josh more with each passing episode

I love his snarky comments. They really make the episodes for us. Jael is pretty, but she has to GO. She is as useless as Ryder. Mr. Eme believes Josh takes a squeamish woman with him so that he will look more Macho. Okay, makes sense to me. Knock it off Josh, we actually want to see What is Up and have you get something instead of running at the point where you are on to something. Just sayin'.
BTW, Orbitz should get them better flights so that they are not arriving at the Pyramids at dusk, and they only have overnight to investigate.

stubadingdong

stubadingdong

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

I'd very much like to know what that little body was that they found. And if they looked around for the skull. Because stepping in the hole may have caused it to pop off and get buried or something. I hope the Chilean authorities send an update or something.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 11:33 AM

I'd very much like to know what that little body was that they found. And if they looked around for the skull. Because stepping in the hole may have caused it to pop off and get buried or something. I hope the Chilean authorities send an update or something.

Same here. I'd also like to know how the hell the parabolic dish was making sounds.....especially when it wasn't turned on.

It was nice to see Josh riding in a heli that actually looked airworthy. At least nothing fell off of it.

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

That little body was freaking creepy. Extremely creepy. I don't blame any of them for getting freaked out over seeing it - that was just absolutely intriguing and scary and mind-blowing all at once.

I loved Josh at the rental car desk. "I need the insurance. 'Cause I'm gonna flip it.". Heh. I think Josh appeals to me because my family makes the same kind of stupid jokes.

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

Quicksand? Yikes! It's a good thing Robb and Dustin were with him to provide some muscle. If he had been with Jael he would have been screwed.

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 4:09 PM

No kidding.

These investigations in South America are freaking me out. Not because of what they're looking for, but because of the natural elements found in the Amazon. Quicksand?!? ...Now, that's a new one. But they are also face the possibility of running into snakes (both bushmasters and pythons), jaguars, wild boar, and alligators; that place is dangerous enough without finding anything paranormal. Every time they go there and start walking through the jungle at night, I wonder why they don't have someone with them who is well-armed in order to ensure their safety.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 4:11 PM

I wonder why they don't have someone with them who is well-armed in order to ensure their safety.

I've wondered the same thing. It just would seem prudent to have some sort of weapon in some of the places they go.

pink scare

pink scare

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 7:22 PM

Destination Truth's seasons are tragically short. I think there's only two or three new episodes left. I understand that the production cost is probably staggering (well, for a SciFi show), but I'd happily trade an entire season of Ghost Hunters International for two more episodes of Destination Truth.

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 8:18 PM

Actually Josh just twittered they are are going to start filming the second part of season 3 in the next day or so. So there will be some more episodes sometime early in the new year I am guessing.

48 hours until filming of Destination Truth 3.5 begins! I should probably start packing.

Edited by Torop, Oct 19, 2009 @ 8:19 PM.

pink scare

pink scare

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

Actually Josh just twittered they are are going to start filming the second part of season 3 in the next day or so. So there will be some more episodes sometime early in the new year I am guessing.

Huzzah! Thanks Torop, you made my night! If you'll post Josh's twitter account, you'll make my week! Please?

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

Josh Gates' twitter account

Torop

Torop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 2:40 PM

Does anybody find Josh as hysterically funny as I do? The whole pre-investigation in Alaska was making me guffaw with the remarks on the guy in the animal skin hat and the guy with the guns on his snowmobile.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

I think he's a total scream, Torup. We laugh ourselves silly with the way he tells stories.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

We find him completely hysterical too. My favorite part of the show is when he first arrives at whatever location and is interacting with the locals.

stubadingdong

stubadingdong

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

Me too...I watch mostly for Josh's running commentary. It's far more entertaining than the investigations, usually.

Still wondering about that little body they stumbled upon in Chile, though....

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 2:56 AM

I'm loving Josh, and what's great is that the stuff he comes up with is unscripted. Give me a guy who can make me laugh and I'm a goner.

I'm with you on the Chile case. I wish they would do a wrap-up show at the end of each season about all of the cases they investigated and tell us if they found out anything else. Even if they didn't, I'd like to know. Josh's team was the one that found the supposed Yeti track in Nepal a couple of years ago and I don't know if anything else has ever been said about it.

WhichWitch

WhichWitch

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 5:41 AM

You may find this interesting (Last day of Pripyat)

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Very eerie.

misskim

misskim

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 7:02 AM

Funniest DT line ever: "There's not enough alcohol in the universe to make me pull this string."

Yes, we watch because Josh makes us laugh, but there have been some serious goonies going up my spine this season, too.

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

misskim: Yes, we watch because Josh makes us laugh, but there have been some serious goonies going up my spine this season, too.

Agreed. I'm starting to look forward to this show more than I am to Ghost Hunters because of the heebie-jeebie factor.

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Agreed. I'm starting to look forward to this show more than I am to Ghost Hunters because of the heebie-jeebie factor.

Ditto. Josh makes me laugh like a hyena, but this show has been scaring the hell out of me on a regular basis (creepy dolls. Still have nightmares.). There's a nice mix of humor and potential "OMGWTFBBQ!" in it, and I love it!

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2009 @ 3:04 AM

I'm with you on the Chile case. I wish they would do a wrap-up show at the end of each season about all of the cases they investigated and tell us if they found out anything else. Even if they didn't, I'd like to know. Josh's team was the one that found the supposed Yeti track in Nepal a couple of years ago and I don't know if anything else has ever been said about it.

Well, I asked and I'm receiving!! Mid-season finale takes them back to Nepal!