S3 - Danny Tidwell: It's Only Arrogance If You're Wrong

• Please log in to reply

4276 replies to this topic

WhirlyBird

WhirlyBird

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

[Danny] hasn't got Travis's need to be the centre of attention in order to express his artistry.

Because they aren't, thankfully, related.

Well, no, not biologically. But I would be interested to see my adopted brother's reaction to my or my biological sister's assertion that we were "not related."

They're brothers. At one point Danny said that Denise had adopted him. Whether or not that was in formal legal terms probably didn't and doesn't matter a hell of a lot to one of the most gifted dancers, albeit seeminly troubled*, I have ever seen. He calls Denise Wall "Mom." Just sayin'.

*His love for the art is real. His inability, however, to love the art enough to deal with structure -- at ABT, even at Complexions -- makes me wonder what the hell happened to him, growing up. Danny is my all-time favorite, no one comes close, but given his talent, he should be following and eventually outdoing Desmond Richardson or Carlos Acosta in terms of "best male dancer alive." But as long as he's happy, and happy dancing, I'm thrilled for him. I'd bet Travis is, too.

Edited by WhirlyBird, Jun 28, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

My point in saying they aren't related has more to do with inherited biological traits, something all the Walls seems to share which Danny does not when it comes to seeking attention, the way they dance, the way they behave in general. Danny did not grow up with them really, I don't believe Denise took him in, whatever that means, until he was fourteen, or older, I do know she never legally adopted him.

But really I have no opinion about how they all feel about one another, I don't know them, my simple point is that Danny's demeanor is the opposite of Travis' for reasons steaming from biology and beyond, but YMMV.

Anyway, I think Danny just doesn't like ballet enough to stick to it for long periods of time. He is built for it, it doesn't mean he has to love it or want to do it or wishes to become a master at it. I won't begrudge him his desire to stretch himself outside of that box if he feels uncomfortable in it, and I wouldn't go so far as to say something had to happen in his past to have made him that way. Talent does not necessarily breed enjoyment or pleasure, especially in the dance world.

squaredpants

squaredpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

ABT and Complexions are wonderful, but there is great dancing elsewhere in the world too. Norwegian National Ballet is one of the most versatile ballet companies, and I'm not surprised that Danny would want to dance there. He's always wanted to experiment more in terms of movement. So whether he had difficulty figuring out exactly what was the best situation for him, it seems he's satisfied now.

Don't know anything about Travis and Danny's relationship, but when Denise relapsed Danny made the trip back to the U.S. to see her. I gather from that that she's still family and a priority to him.

ladym05

ladym05

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Because I am a geek, I follow Denise Wall on Twitter. She tweeted to a Danny fan on Aug. 29th, that Danny just got back from Norway. I am hoping that he is going to pop up somewhere on TV.

squaredpants

squaredpants

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

OMFG!!! I just want him to do some dancing anywhere in the States where I can get to him. Is he visiting only??? Is he moving back to the U.S.??? :)))))))

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

We Danny fans will grasp onto any tiny morsel of info about him. We get so little! I'd love to see him dance again---I'll take anything. I'm not picky! **cough**dancewithChehon**cough**

Danny forever!

nevad

nevad

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I don't have much information. But on the Norwegian Opera's webpage it says that Danny is currently on a leave (he is not the only dancer on leave). It didn't say for how long. But it means he will be in the US longer than for just a vacation. I hope he will come back to Oslo, at least for a period more, as I have not been able to see him yet.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

What happened to Danny? They talked about him tonight....is he okay????

oandp

oandp

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. My quick (and albeit lazy) search of the interwebs turned up squat.

ETA: I found a comment somewhere that said there were rumors that Danny was using drugs in Europe and perhaps this piece has something to do with that. But that's a comment from some random person commenting on a rumor. So I have no idea if it's remotely legit.

Edited by oandp, Aug 15, 2013 @ 12:25 PM.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

Denise Wall put a pic on twitter of all of her boys home for Thanksgiving. It was interesting to see Danny so much changed -- all the other images I've seen since about a year after his season have been action shots for ballet reviews (and not too dang many of them):

https://twitter.com/denisenergy

I imagine this link to the pic won't last long as she tweets...

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

Because I will forever be obsessed with the beauty that is Danny Tidwell, I googled this -and he's still part of the 2014 company:

http://operaen.no/en.../Danny-Tidwell/

Edited by rulesoftravel, Feb 24, 2014 @ 11:30 AM.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

I'm glad to see that. He is a great talent. I do wish he'd do a special appearance on syt, but I'm not sure what his schedule would allow. 

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

That is a great picture of Danny and his brothers at Thanksgiving.  He's just smiling so big.      

And his mother seems to have it permanently on her twitter.  Thank you for posting that link.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:04 AM.

EmbraceTheDark

EmbraceTheDark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:58 PM

Yep. Many year later and he's still my favorite contestant ever on this show. I still dream he'll become an all-star.

Danny is featured in short dance film by Lauren Adams: Angel(s) on Fire

Can't say I enjoyed any of that but it was nice to see Danny. Still handsome but he looks like he's been through a lot...

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

I think that's the point of the video-they all look like they've been thru a lot.   

He is so beautiful and graceful and just one with the dance.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 10:48 PM

Man, I am really going to miss this thread and the history of this thread.  The loss of this thread is the saddest aspect of the loss of TWoP for me.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Moderator

Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Let's try to stick to the topic, please. If you want to discuss the boards and reminisce, please take it to the pinned post in the Tech Issues forum.