S3 - Lacey Schwimmer: Nepotism At Work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

991 replies to this topic

JibberJabber

JibberJabber

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 8:46 AM

I hate her already.

How about you?

BlueMouse

BlueMouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

Why do you hate her? I like her. Granted, I loved Benji last year, so it may just be deferred affection, but I think she's a good dancer and she's got a sweet personality.

mistiec

mistiec

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:19 AM

I think the hair is unfortunate. She looks MUCH better as a blonde, but as a dancer, I actually like her better than Benji. At least what I've seen of youtube clips. She has the sexuality in her dancing that Benji could never quite achieve (not counting flashing his itty bitty lean chest). Not to mention the group seems to genuinely like her.

I remember Benji put a lot of people off at the beginning with his hamming and there was a lot of questioning his sincerity, but he won a few over with their dancing. I'm willing to give Lacey the chance to do that, apart from her brother.

shalia17

shalia17

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, Shopping, College, NABA, Step Squad, TV, Movies, Dining out, dancing, singing, TWOP,facebook,etc...

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:29 AM

Thread name recall!

This is *the* nepotism season ain't nobody of the hook this year. Plus I like Lacey so Boo to you JibberJabber!

All Kidding aside, I'm looking forward to seeing how well she'll do in styles besides ballroom. They barely showed her during Vegas so they really left us in suspense. She's good friends with Hok so maybe he showed him some moves before the competition.

I'm glad she made it but simultaneously really scared for her given the chilly reception she's gotten so far.

souja

souja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 10:27 AM

Lacey seems to be really popular among the dancers and relatable to a bunch of different crowds: she in and myspaced with the b-boys Hok and D'Trix. And the Lacey/Jaimie/Danny affection just makes me smile for Benji and Travis.

J Talia

J Talia

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:03 AM

I'll admit I found her annoying last night, but I am going to wait until I see a bit more of her. I just didn't like how she presented herself. The fact that she was wearing a shirt with a faux tie and suspenders when Benji wore his faux tuxedo shirt for the final elimination rubbed me the wrong way. I was waiting for her to say she had on two left shoes. I think she is an amazing dancer from what little I've seen, so if she can keep the mugging to a minimum, I think I'll like her.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:19 AM

Nah, Lacey deserves to be there. That's my pre-season opinion and I'm sticking to it.

It will be interesting to see how strong the nepotism backlash is, and how strong the backlash against the nepotism backlash is. I always like an underdog, so in a strange way, calling "nepotism" makes me like all these contestants (Lacey, Danny, Faina, Lauren - and arguably Jaimie) more. 'Cause they've got to know by now what they're up against going in, and it takes some guts to go for it anyway. JMO!

Maybe Once

Maybe Once

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

Hate? Really? Already? <shrug>

I haven't seen her do anything offensive. I don't think that having the temerity to be born into a hardcore ballroom dance family really qualifies as reason enough to hate. But maybe that's just me.

I also find the thread title to be a bit unfair. But, again, my opinion. I don't see the word Nepotism in other relative/partner/colleague titles, though, so I'm sticking with unfair.

Edited by Maybe Once, Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:22 AM.

shalia17

shalia17

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, Shopping, College, NABA, Step Squad, TV, Movies, Dining out, dancing, singing, TWOP,facebook,etc...

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:22 AM

And the Lacey/Jaimie/Danny affection just makes me smile for Benji and Travis.

Awww I didn't notice all that. Even if the show tries to portray Danny as an ass and even if he truly is a bit cocky I do believe overall he's probably not all bad. Gooo sibling pairing! w00t.

JibberJabber

JibberJabber

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:31 AM

I don't see the word Nepotism in other relative/partner/colleague titles, though, so I'm sticking with unfair.

There aren't any other dancer threads yet. ;)

pokeystar

pokeystar

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

That's because, at least I am waiting, for the dancers to do something worthy of mocking.

clean slate of switzerland is my stand right now. for everyone.

Maybe Once

Maybe Once

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 11:50 AM

LOL, I just realized that.....I just skimmed and didn't notice that Lacey was the only one....

So, now I say again that a "Nepotism" thread just for Lacey is a bit unfair. Although, it might be worthwhile to start a general nepotism/connections/how incestuous is the dance world thread over in General Gabbery. Because the issue itself is certainly worthy of discussion. I just think sticking the whole topic on Lacey is unreasonable.

Shananescence

Shananescence

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 12:01 PM

I wouldn't even call it nepotism unless she was actually related to Nigel, the other judges, or someone else in a control position on the show. Benji won but he has no control over the PTB. She deserves her spot because she's good. I just don't want to see Benji at every show holding up signs and stuff. I know he'll be there and be supportive, I just don't want to have to see it. I know, fat chance.

JibberJabber

JibberJabber

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 12:23 PM

I don't think it's all *that* unfair. Scroll back through the old thread. Do you see any of this year's contestants besides Lacey being discussed as early as last season? Did anyone else get to dance with last year's winner in their audition? Do you really think *no one* from the show trolls TWoP and passes on info to the producers (I know for a fact that Idol has interns who do this)?

I reserve my judgment as to the fairness of the thread title until next week, when I see if she lands in the bottom three and if she is protected by the judges. For now, I think it's legitimately fair.

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT IN THE COURT OF SNARK! :)

Edited by JibberJabber, Jun 8, 2007 @ 12:25 PM.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

I just want her to stop dressing like an extra on a fall-out boy video.

tjl

tjl

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:02 PM

I've never seen a fall-out boy video.

I thought her outfit was a nod to Benji's tuxedo shirt last year. I actually liked the outfit. At the moment, I like Lacey. Of course, assuming things are the same as last year, it doesn't matter what I think (Canadians couldn't vote).

cynful7

cynful7

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:06 PM

Hell, I just want her to NOT look so much like Ashlee Simpson circa her first CD. I'm sure she's cute and all, but yeah... she was kind of working my last nerve last night. And I LOVED Benji last season, and have no problems with his sister making it in. I just wish she didn't dress like a punk poseur and make faces at me when she's on screen.

Edited by cynful7, Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:40 PM.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:37 PM

Well, you are a luckier person than I. :)

NaturalTop

NaturalTop

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 5:03 PM

Really unfortunate thread title.

Lacey is an awesome dancer. As much as I was pulling for Benji to win, I think Lacey is a much better all around dancer/perfomer. I was actually hoping they weren't going to take her this year so she could come back and have a real shot of winning it in the future. Too bad.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 6:16 PM

Well, the verdict from the dancer in my house is in - and she hated Benji with a passion. "I'm sorry I LURVE Lacey!!!!!!" was proclaimed loudly last night. Me? I think she's cute, looked good in the samba round, wasn't crazy for her audition (and I did rewatch and the mugging and boob flower still bugged) but my slate is still pretty clean. I feel warmer towards her than I did to Benji at this part of the game last year - so I feel like I'm making strides.

BlueMouse

BlueMouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

I have, but just one, I swear!

The shirt was okay, but what the hell was up with that confection loosely known as a skirt? It just looked ridiculous, IMO.

Despite her tragic wardrobe choices, I still like her.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 7:06 PM

I did rewatch and the mugging and boob flower still bugged

This made me laugh, Hyper Critical, 'cause now I'm imagining the thread title,

"Lacey Shwimmer: Boob Flower"

I can live with the one we've got. :)

Kerri Johnson

Kerri Johnson

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 8:39 PM

I despise Lacey already. Note to Lacey: You are not Benji, you will never be Benji. Benji was charming, dorky, likable and could dance his ass off. Lacey is already trying too hard. Get rid of that emo hair cut and quit mugging for the camera. I hated how she was there right in everyone's face as they came through the curtain. Sure she might be friends with some of them and was comforting them but it's also a great way to get a lot of camera time. She has the kind of face you just want to punch. It's completely unfair to the other dancers, that she and Danny can tap into their brother's fanbases. I wish Lacey was old enough last year so we could have already gotten her over with. The sad thing is, she's already in the finals and probably knows it.

Edited by Kerri Johnson, Jun 8, 2007 @ 8:41 PM.

shalia17

shalia17

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

It's completely unfair to the other dancers, that she and Danny can tap into their brother's fanbases.

Or they can have people who irrationally hate them for being related to former contestants...it all balances itself out dontcha think?

ngcskate

ngcskate

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

How about people that actually worked on the show last year? I find that a tad more unfair than someone's sibling being chosen. Gee, you were good enough to demonstrate these dances (and get paid for it) - wonder if you'll make it on the show????

I'd also like to know why some people have issues with Benji showing up and supporting his sister? Will you have the same issue with Travis showing up to support his brother? Or Stanislav?

tripledistilled

tripledistilled

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

Add me to the list of non-Lacey fans.

Hell, I just want her to NOT look so much like Ashlee Simpson circa her first CD.

She absolutely makes me think of Ashley Simpson. But, hatred aside, she did show up in my dreams last night. I dreamed she and Hok were partnered together. They did Lindy-Hop and it was extremely good. I woke up with the need to pick up the phone and vote for her ass. That wasn't a good feeling for me. I can't wait for the real show to start.

Edited by tripledistilled, Jun 9, 2007 @ 8:30 AM.

lmg2004

lmg2004

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 7:54 AM

Lacey's the Ashlee (Simpson) to Heidi's Jessica, no?

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

I'm curious to see how she does on this show. Her dancing skills in West Coast Swing and Latin seem really good, and clearly she was at least passable at everything else. But she's going to get rapped for the face-pulling, and because Nigel has very specific ideas of what's suitable on a girl, she won't be able to get away with it quite as much as Benji did ( although he definitely toned it down with Donyelle).

Is that her real hair colour? Because it's too hard-looking on her. I've commented on the Top 20 thread that the brunettes are looking very interchangeable right now with their shag cuts and one-tone looking dark hair. I really wish they'd have made about half of them over, including Lacey.

As for the nepotism issue, I can't hold it against her when the producers don't seem to give a crap. I know the dance world is small and all that, but there are a lot of people in the Top20 with connections this year. As long as Benji is smart enough to give her some space. Just based on what I've seen of the Top 10 girls, she's no lock for the winning spot.

bsk117

bsk117

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 9:45 AM

Lacey's the Ashlee (Simpson) to Heidi's Jessica, no?

I'd say no just because both Jessica and Ashley are talentless freaks, IMO, and neither Heidi nor Lacey are. But I'd also say no because while Heidi did get on the show first, it's my understanding that in the dance world Lacey has garnered more achievements and is fairly widely recognized for her talents. Whereas Ashley came second and is recognized for her nose job and for being the Simpson without the boobs that make her father drool.

I don't believe Lacey got through on nepotism or her brother's fan base, but on her talent. However, I think given how strong peoples' feelings were for/against Benji -- especially the vitriol from those against -- she would have done a lot better waiting a year and then coming in. Her mugging probably would have still bugged then, but there wouldn't be as strong a backlash.

As for the hair and the dressing, while that skirt on Thursday made my eyes bleed, I still have to say it's a lot better than what I see a lot of young women her age wearing at the college campus where I teach. The unfortunate truth is that the 80s have come back, at least partially, and those who were born to be trend victims -- and Lacey, based on her hair and outfits, seems to be one of them -- are picking out its worst aspects and wearing them with pride. Those of us who lived through 80s fashion the first time around can only sit back and whisper quietly, over and over, "This too shall pass."

Shelshka

Shelshka

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 10:33 AM

It will be interesting to see how strong the nepotism backlash is, and how strong the backlash against the nepotism backlash is.

This may have been a concern for the show. The judges mentioned that Lacey just scraped through to the top twenty and while it could be assumed that her relationship to Benji was the deciding factor that kept her in the competition, it's also possible the opposite was true and being Benji's sister nearly got her cut, particularly if the judges had already chosen Danny and Faina. Lacey may actually have scraped through because of her dancing skills, not in spite of them. I guess we'll get a better idea when we see more of her dancing.

Those of us who lived through 80s fashion the first time around can only sit back and whisper quietly, over and over, "This too shall pass."

It's a change from reliving the horror of 70s fashion, I suppose. What's the next "retro" trend we can expect, anyway? They're starting to run out of decades to copy. Perhaps bustles will make a comeback.