S3 - Melissa: Doesn't Want to Be Judged on "Presentation"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

112 replies to this topic

amityisland

amityisland

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 7:51 PM

Being attractive is hard!!!

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 12:12 AM

She seems to have her head straight, she impressed Chef Ramsay with her very first dish, she took solid control of the women's kitchen (other than bitchy Joanna's unneeded antics), and she actually nominated the right two people for elimination.

Smart woman, so I like her so far.

Setting Shadow

Setting Shadow

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 3:05 PM

She's an early favorite for me. Yes, her handling of Tiffany was a tad passive-aggressive, but I really, really loved her for not nominating Julia to go home, as all of the other women suggested. She seems sane & has a good understanding of the personalities in the kitchen. And also, passive aggressive or not, watching her roll her eyes while agreeing "No, you're definately not going home" made darn good television.

moonchildbeast

moonchildbeast

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 2:04 AM

People who mention their looks right off really bug. Particularly when that person will not be mistaken for a model anytime soon. Had she not said anything I would be more inclined to notice how attractive she is, rather than how unattractive. She looks way older than 29.

I also didn't like how she misled Tiffany.

At least she seems to know what she's doing. I'm not on the hate train yet but only time will tell.

diskette11

diskette11

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 8:45 AM

She's an early favorite for me. Yes, her handling of Tiffany was a tad passive-aggressive, but I really, really loved her for not nominating Julia to go home, as all of the other women suggested. She seems sane & has a good understanding of the personalities in the kitchen. And also, passive aggressive or not, watching her roll her eyes while agreeing "No, you're definately not going home" made darn good television.

I agree absolutely. Not only is she capable of working in a kitchen, she seems to have some good sense as well. Although I probably shouldn´t trust my judgement, I actually liked Tiffany at first, but then it went way down-hill from there.

J DTZR

J DTZR

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 2:51 PM

Anybody know anything else about this chick? The bios are pretty vague.

Auntbeast

Auntbeast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 3:59 PM

If she doesn't get the deer in the headlights look off her face, I'm gonna get all Shar-pei on her.

If she's 29, it has been a hell of a life.

Her arrogance might possibly be justified, but in no way excused. Ramsay did not put you in charge of the kitchen, he put you in charge of the apps. Being called the best of the worst is no honor.

She is going to be called out soon. Julia looks like a human sponge. She is taking it all in, she has no sense of entitlement or hugemongous titties, she has an opportunity of a lifetime and she's doing her damnedest with it. Melissa seems to me, to show Ramsay that no one has given her what she so rightly deserves yet. She shall one day sit in the Hall of Kings as is her destiny. Bah!

ersatzreality

ersatzreality

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

Melissa hasn't gotten the kindest edit - during the getting dressed/stalker cam segment she was the only one shown adjusting herself into her top. Not so flattering.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

Melissa hasn't gotten the kindest edit - during the getting dressed/stalker cam segment she was the only one shown adjusting herself into her top. Not so flattering.

Don't know why people are bothered by her adjusting herself. Women with breasts over a B cup have to usually adjust themselves when getting dressed. I'm a C cup and I have to adjust myself into my bra, my workout tops and just about any shirt to ensure that they aren't lopsided (one gets caught at a higher angle) or that they're properly covered. It's natural. Not creepy. That the camera showed it means that there are men working the cameras and editing the tape.

monef

monef

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:36 AM

As has been noted here, I really loved her for being fair and not nominating Julia. As for misleading Tiffany, with it being a reality show there was a game to be played. I like the fact that she played the game but definitely did it with a good sense of fairness.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

I'm willing to give Melissa a break for telling Tiffany she wasn't going home and then nominating her. Honestly, Melissa may well have believed that of the two, Joanna would be selected to go home over Tiffany. Thus, her assertion that Tiffany wasn't going home. At worse, she was making a judgement call that was not in her power to forsee or control. At best...she was letting Tiffany know that her performance sucked and resulted in them getting named the worse team and she needed to be at least accountable for that. Nowhere in Tiffany's talk with Melissa was any acknowledgement of her complete failure to come through at dinner service (unless I missed it). Unfortunately, Melissa was wrong in her judgement and Grrr hates people who can't cook eggs more than he hates people who need an attitude adjustment on working with others. Melissa picked the right two! However, she better watch out. Her ambition will be her downfall and she'll get another Grrr smack down if she's not careful. Joanna screws up one lettuce and you think that you need to start doing it yourself? That's arrogance of a high nature and will bite her in the ass sooner rather than later.

ghettoghostman

ghettoghostman

Couch Potato

• Interests:Picking up my legacy where it left off here...

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 4:37 PM

With a show like this, I don't think having a good or bad edit plays into how far a contestant goes. I think Melissa could be a huuuuge skank and make all the way to the end.

I do appreciate her for keeping Julia and knocking off that bitch Tiffany, though.

kuromaku

kuromaku

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:13 PM

Man, poor Melissa. Girl is putting her bra on correctly - she's not doing anything unflattering or skanky. I worked in intimate apparel (as we like to call it - heh) for a few years and that's the way it should be done. You need to haul those suckers up and get them into place. And, as inyourdreams pointed out, the bigger you are, the more adjusting you need. They aren't self-leveling.

evil jesus

evil jesus

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:53 PM

Is 29 her "stage age"? She really looks way over that. Perhaps she's a heavy smoker too and it's taken its toll on her skin.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

They probably wouldn't have shown that footage of her if she hadn't talked about being judged on her looks and wore that dress when the chefs first came into the kitchen. Mind you, I liked the dress. I just thought it was wildly inappropriate for the occasion.

ETA: Especially for someone who says she wants to be judged on her cooking, not her looks.

Edited by auntlada, Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:54 PM.

ersatzreality

ersatzreality

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 10:55 PM

ITA that adjusting one's self is normal and needed - didn't make my point well that Melissa was the only one that happened to make the edit when she did that.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

ITA that adjusting one's self is normal and needed - didn't make my point well that Melissa was the only one that happened to make the edit when she did that.

Put that down again to the gender of the people with the cameras and the editors.

ImaginaryFriend

ImaginaryFriend

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

So far ... and that's a big qualification only two shows in ... Melissa is next to spotless.

She had one of the only two "signature dishes" that GRrr liked, capped with a "Thanks so much for coming this morning." She was tabbed as the "least bad" at the end of Episode #1 out of the Red Team. She was only one of two people (the other was Josh) who cleaned correctly as many as four fish in the challenge in Episode #2. GRrr compllmented her preparation of monkfish towards the end of the episode. Against that, she got reprimanded for drifting over into Joanna's station. Even that didn't seem to compromise the preparation of any food.

Of what we've seen, it's the best record so far.

moonchildbeast

moonchildbeast

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2007 @ 8:30 PM

I want to like her. I hope she doesn't disappoint me.

Bard Sinister

Bard Sinister

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

So far ... and that's a big qualification only two shows in ... Melissa is next to spotless.

I agree. In terms of what we have seen so far, Melissa appears to be a true contender. On HK, it is often difficult to deal with the Ramsay factor. I was glancing through last season's recaps on the Fox board, and I had forgotten how many times second-place Virigina was in the bottom two, but managed to stay in the competition.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

I think the "spotless" status may have been erased tonight, though.

I did not care, at all, for her remarks about Julia. So now she's willingly joined in on it, after all.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

She's starting to look a little rough. Or maybe it's just her attitude.

No, she is looking rough. Especially for someone who apparently thinks people think she's too pretty to cook well.

dunvegan948

dunvegan948

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

I can't get past her voice. It just really irritates me. Petty, sure, but there it is.

ImaginaryFriend

ImaginaryFriend

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:17 PM

The consensus seems to be that Melissa has a grating voice and made an ill-considered (and at least ill-timed) move in trying to take on Julia for Julia's lack of experience. I have yet, however, to see her get ragged for poor performance as a chef.

Still, it's not trivial that many are not finding Melissa likeable.
The ideal result for the show is to produce a winner who is both worthy and popular.

VNutt

VNutt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:40 PM

29?? What... is that in Sandra Lee years????

She's getting the "Virgina of this season" edit. Attractive and knows it, during the "rewards" she's next to Ramsay and going all googley-eyed.

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:41 PM

I really didn't like her taunting the losing team when they had to peel potatoes. She's like an even more annoying version of Heather from last season.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

I guess this is because I liked both Heather last season and Melissa this season, but . . . I don't find her annoying at all.

dunvegan948

dunvegan948

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

That was Melissa shit-talking the guys? Yeah. I hate it when anyone does that. It doesn't serve any useful purpose. It's not going to miraculously make the team being put down lose heart. If anything, it'll make them work harder at success. All it really does is show what a dick the shit-talker is.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 11:40 PM

I have yet, however, to see her get ragged for poor performance as a chef.

That is true. Gordon snapped at her once, but only because she was too slow, at touching a food item, he was complaining about. She's defintely one of the stronger people here, in my opinion.

But I'm really not liking her, anymore. Shit-talking the men? Uncalled for, and if she ever loses a reward, I hope her opponets taunt her, until the cows come home. And she just had to join Bonnie in the "Juila can't run a kitchen, because she's inexperienced!" mentality. All the respect I had after she vetoed Tiffany's idea, is gone now. Nice going, Melissa.

inyourdreams

inyourdreams

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2007 @ 9:13 AM

Melissa obviously sees herself as the best one there which is why she wants to get rid of Julia. Julia was praised by Grrr many times and she, not Melissa was sent over to help the men and get there service complete, too. As strategic as she was in the first show with not nominating Julia as she hadn't done anything wrong, she blew it this week by letting her insecurities show. There was no way Grrr was going to send Julia home after her performance at breakfast and on the risotto. So sending her up only makes you look like a jealous cow! I predict that Melissa may start imploding soon and get reckless.