3-1: "Day 1" 2007.06.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

342 replies to this topic

amityisland

amityisland

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Already dead to me...Josh.

Will Aaron survive to the end of the series???

Boo with the "Waffle House" snobbery!

eta: don't know if these episodes have titles, please edit if I did this wrong

Edited by amityisland, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:06 PM.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

I just want to know what is wrong with these people that the woman who worked at Waffle House wasn't immediately put on eggs. And poor Mary Ann, when she's covering her mouth in abject horror five minutes in.

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

The women can't cook EGGS! My God... that's pathetic.

Asian crybaby is already on my last nerve.

Hate Bossy Joanna.

I think this is the sorriest most disorganized group so far, especially the women. Could they not go 5 minutes without arguing? Women...

Edited by TVGuy88, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:08 PM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Boy those women can argue. Gordon's pet for the season reminds me of Leah Rimini. As soon as she told Tiffany she wasn't going I knew she was a goner. That's one thing consistent about this show..it happens every first episode.

The women gave me a headache and I kind of felt sorry for Julie. So what if she works in a waffle house. They were idiots not to have her make the eggs in the first place. They could have jumped ahead.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Wow. Makes me feel bad that I missed the first two seasons. Very intense. For a kitchen.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

First of all Tiffany, you must have seen enough reality shows to know, if someone tells you you're safe, they are sending you in/up.

I missed the part assignment. Did Gordon assign or did they pick themselves? I'm asking because I don't know why they wouldn't have put the short-order cook on the eggs. I also don't understand the whole first service (and never have and I've watched every season). Do they get time to see the menu before? Are they shown once off camera how to make everything and then sent on their own?

I thought the previews of all the crying was from the entire season, I didn't realize we would be treated to the surreal waterworks in the premiere.

Edited by mcgjgl, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

whyohwhy

whyohwhy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

I'm already rooting for WaffleGirl to take it all!

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

There's no crying in Hell's Kitchen!

I love, love, love this show! GR is the best when he's yelling at hapless chefs. I think just about everybody sucked tonight, with the exception of Julia(?) (I loved that she got the quail eggs right). I laughed so hard when Tiffany got the knife, after all the comments she made about Miss Waffle House (that was Tiffany, right? I'm still not sure of names/faces). Oh yeah, and Josh, SHUT UP! You don't talk to GR like that!

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

I know! I couldn't believe that they couldn't cook an egg.

And that they were refusing to talk to the one woman because she worked at a Waffle House.

And the crying guy!

They cast this show to get on Ramsey's last nerve, don't they?

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Fire up the Viking range...

How great is this thing? One can watch a group of folks stuck on a freakin' island for a month eating bugs and still not see as many meltdowns as three minutes into this bad boy.

Loved the Waffle House diss, but who was able to fry some damn eggs?

Looking forward to lots of cleaver wounds, skillet fires and all that positive renforcement GR will offer up !!!!

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Aaron isn't long for this, is he?

Gnat's piss...that's a new one I'll be using frequently. Still our same loveable Grr...bless his tart tongue. Oh how I've missed him!

My disclaimer is that I've never worked in a restaurant kitchen, nor have I worked for Our Beloved Ramsey..but were these gals a bunch of cry babies or what? Get a fucking grip! I'm not even sure what station the pastry chef gal was on...but was she doing anything?

Hey Tiffany, when a short order cook tells you she can cook an egg, believe her.

Duh you guys, it means she knows how to cook quick and fast, hello.

Oh absofrigginlutely. Remember, Grr said Julia's chicken was excellent, it was just too peppery. I bet she'd be great with the meats as far as getting orders right with medium rare to well done. I dunno how long she'll hang in with the competition, but I call bullocks on the other girls not talking to her. Bitches was right.

Edited by cherry malotte, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:17 PM.

AdrienneP

AdrienneP

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

Yeah, the Waffle House snobbery got on my last nerve, too. Duh you guys, it means she knows how to cook quick and fast, hello.

"Shut it Down!" Music to my ears.

Melissa looks to be strong, but I don't know if I like her yet. None of the women are impressive, really, but perhaps it's too early to tell. Aaron the Asian cowboy has GOT to go. He can't handle the pressure and will probably quit, at least that's how the preview for next week looked. Don't know if that's a spoiler or not, but it's better to be safe.

Was glad to see that Michael is doing well. I hate that Heather seems to be doing well, but I guess I'd better let that go now, huh...

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

Do they get time to see the menu before? Are they shown once off camera how to make everything and then sent on their own?

Each season I've wondered the same thing. Obviously they do, but some people don't seem to have the technique down for their assigned station/recipe - e.g. risotto, tempering eggs for ice cream, cooking quail eggs. I suspect everyone just says yes to knowing how to make something.

I'm pulling for Waffle House girl, simply because they were all such snobs about her ability. Pisses me off.

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Asian crybaby is already on my last nerve.

You mean Twoberry? That guy is something else! I've met my share of cryers in my time (being an RA in a co-ed dorm with a fair chunk of the girls in your section'll do that) but this guy takes the cake. Does he cry for everything or just most things?

Interesting the way they changed it up with the editing though- "We're not going to lose- no way we can lose" say the guys and...well, they didn't!

Good work editors!

Vali

Vali

Video Archivist

Man, I forgot how entertaining this show is! Loved the ep. Both teams were a mess, though the men looked like they were getting it together toward the end. I don't feel bad for the "diners" one bit: wannabe actors and actresses given free meals and the possibility of wowing programming execs with their "snotty" personas.

I liked Joanna (I think that's her, the bossy one?). She seemed to be one of the only ones who knew, somewhat, what she was doing. Though I hated the clip right at the end, with her "I don't care who I have to screw over to win" speech. Ah, the classic "I'm not here to make friends". The kiss of death for reality tv villans; unlikely she'll go far.

Glad Tiffany got the boot. She can't cook eggs properly after how many tries? Please.

cynicalbastard

cynicalbastard

Video Archivist

Is Josh the really arrogant one? The one who thinks he "intimidated" Ramsay? Because word. What a douche.

I felt kind of bad for Julia. I've been a short order cook and one thing all short order cooks can do is cook eggs in their sleep. The one who got fired (Tiffani? I'm still learning the names) just seemed like she was terrified of being shown up.

It's hard to find someone to root for right now. The girl who won tonight (the hot redhead, I can't remember her name), seemed pretty likeable and competent and halfway intelligent (and so far, not a bitch).

The chubby dude who keeps crying needs to go. He can't handle even being on a line much less running a kitchen. I'm curious to see how the dude with Webster's disease ends up doing. I don't get much feel for the other personalities yet except for that one dude is a screaming douche.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Well, this group is more competant than last years - didn't it take them 3 or 4 episodes to get a single dish out of the kitchen? At least this lot managed some appetizers. And everyone appears to be an actual chef of some sort, even if Wafflegirl doesn't have 'professional training' or whatever the other women were being snotty about. At least she can cook eggs, ladies.

That one male chef, the really arrogant one (Vinnie? he looked like a Vinnie), he needs to go. So I'm sure he'll be around for as long as possible just for the entertainment value in watching Ramsey tear him apart. It's like Project Runway - there's always a bunch of cannon fodder to get rid of, but the entertaining, jerky cannon fodder lasts the longest.

Packrat87

Packrat87

Couch Potato

I was glad that Melissa chose Joanna and Tiffany for elimination. Both of them could not swallow their pride long enough to let other people help them...except Joanna was right about her spaghetti abilities. Tiffany was just pathetic with her eggs...It took Gordon to notice Julie crying her eyes out to shaken things up.

And the name Tiffany is getting slowly tarnished in the culinary world.

Front runners? Melissa and Brad.

Moncheechee

Moncheechee

Video Archivist

Gordon's pet for the season reminds me of Leah Rimini.

Actually, she looks like a very surprised Leah Rimini.

ETA: Now that I think about it, she looks more like Frances Fisher to me.

Edited by Moncheechee, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:28 PM.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

The women absolutely should've put Julia on the eggs. I felt totally bad for her (despite voting for her to go via text). A Waffle House worker obviously knows her eggs, so boo, Tiffany, for not letting her take over!

Rock, Brad, and Eddie are the only men who didn't really annoy me. Josh is grating on me already, Aaron's crying is bugging me already (makes me embarrassed he shares a name with my younger brother), and Vinnie? Probably shaping up to be the villain for the men with his bad attitude toward Chef Ramsey.

Melissa? Totally looks like TAR6's Rebecca. Despite lying to Tiffany, I like her. Bonnie? I find her quirky nervousness kind of cute. I like her, for now. Jen? Meh. Barely saw her tonight. Julia? Probably my second favorite of the women, next to Melissa. Joanna? Total bitch, but I'm glad she stayed, as she at least tried to get the team going, albeit unsuccessfully. Tiffany? Liked her, at first, but her repeatedly dismissing Julia really turned me off to her. Based on this first night of service alone, she was an easy choice to boot first, even though a case probably could've been made for Joanna going, although I'd have been pissed had she (Joanna) gone over her (Tiffany). At least she herself agreed with the choice. Later, Tiffany.

All in all, good premiere. I'll be awaiting next week's episode.

BtvsVamp

BtvsVamp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

Where did they find this psycho Aaron who can't stop crying? He's not even getting yelled at!

Tiffany was too uppity for me and glad she went. She wouldn't even let Julia try, and when she did she actually made the eggs correctly! I do think she was probably one of the better chefs there but she was too stubborn to let Julia take over and it cost her.

I think the blonde girl, Bonnie?, was taking the way Joanna was talking to her too personally. In my opinion thats just how she talks to people.

Yeah Vinnie you MIGHT win now after you got pissy with Ramsey. I give you two weeks before you are cut. Also, did he really say he didn't understand what the word "rubbish" meant? Wow.

Edited by BtvsVamp, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:21 PM.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Wow. I knew the Red Team was going to screw the pooch as soon as someone mentioned women getting along...

I also hate to get racial so early in the show, but what was with the Mean Girl brigade shutting Julia out? Especially since none of them could cook a single thing without breaking down! Joanna? Yes, she was incredibly bossy. However, she was able to back it up with some cooking.

Did Grrr actually show them how to prepare that night's menu? I guess they wanted to spare us the spectacle of the cooks wasting even more food...

Aaron isn't long for HK, I'm afraid.

Josh is so going to pay for mouthing off at Grrrr!

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Packrat87
Front runners? Melissa and Brad.

Editing-wise, I think one of these two or Rock is being set up to win.

Counse

Counse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

Oh my word, I have never seen so much crying. GR was right - they are wimping it up. None of those crybabies will make it in a restaurant - much less run one. Cooks/chefs are a notoriously tough lot. I'm actually surprised GR was pretty 'nice' about the crying.

Early frontrunners seem to be Melissa and Brad (guy who turned the appetizers around on the Blue team?) And Melissa's nominees were pretty spot-on. I just don't know if she's 'rootable' yet - she seems like she could be a raging bitch like Joanna.

And for all the Waffle House snobbery - HELLO, none of your asses could fry a damn egg! That was so, so pathetic. Seriously. Who can't fry an egg?! Even my brother who considers making a sandwich 'cooking' can fry up a damn egg.

Hell's bitches. Too bad they don't name the teams on this show 'cause GR nailed that one.

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

This is why I love reality tv. That was a great premiere even better than the first season ! Glad Julia stayed. She was treated soo badly by everyone. I couldn't believe the level of snobbery about the Waffle House. Bitchney couldn't even cook a damn egg. I think I am putting my money of The Rock and Eddie. Does anyone else thing he sounds just like like Gary Coleman? I swear if I closed my eyes I would think it was Gary. WHAT YOU TALKING BOUT CHEF. He has to say these words at least once during the season. haha. Just so my life can be complete.

Edited by casey22, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:20 PM.

romanmachine

romanmachine

Just Tuned In

I said the same thing to someone else watching the show. FFS, let the short order cook handle the eggs! I guarantee she's cooked plenty of them at the waffle house.

Is it me or is this group the most inept of them all? I have no idea who'll end up winning because they all seem to be amazingly bad cooks. I hope Gordon doesn't end up having a heart attack from all the yelling he'll have to do this season.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

I kind of felt sorry for Julie. So what if she works in a waffle house. They were idiots not to have her make the eggs in the first place.

THANK YOU. This is a woman who works with eggs EVERY DAY. So you marginalize her experience and stick her in the back chopping apples? Idiots.

This is the biggest bunch of whiny, bitchy, incompetent crybabies that has ever been on this show. Other than Melissa and Julie, can any of these people actually cook?

Was Aaron's incessant bawling supposed to inspire sympathy in the viewers? 'Cause I just wanted to smack him and his snotty nose every time he whimpered.

I've never watched Top Chef (although I've seen every season of HK) -- are those contestants this disorganized?

Invernessie

Invernessie

Loyal Viewer

Thank dog Tiffany is gone. She was horrible. Too afraid of looking bad because she could not cut the mustard on the eggs. It's too early in the game not to leverage your fellow contestants and their strengths. Early strategy is to show competency and teamwork, and keep a low profile. Do not draw undue attention to yourself. Do not alientate your competitors now, you need them to get you through the early stages. Plenty of time later on to distinguish yourself. Such snobbery. In all the (too) many meals I've eaten over the years, I most often find the best meals were from more modest establishments. Certainly these establishments foster the skills necessary to operate in the competitive environment, fast, good, efficient service.

Asian weepy guy has got to go soon. He has no temperment for the environment. Other than his 15 minutes, what did he hope to accomplish?

amityisland

amityisland

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

Is Josh the really arrogant one? The one who thinks he "intimidated" Ramsay? Because word. What a douche.

I think that was Vinnie. Josh is dead to me because of his whole "food is like sex...I want people to feel like they've just had great sex" interview at the beginning.

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

I was soooo glad that Tiffany left. She was such a snot to Julia- and I could frankly understand Julia being so upset. She kept trying to help and was refused and got increasingly frustrated. And then when Tiffany made that snotty remark that she just wanted her two minutes to shine. Shut up bitch- you are the one with the ego.

I like that Melissa has the think accent- it suits her. Joann bugged- but is seemed she could cook. Couldn't really form an opinion of the fainting girl. And Bonnie- while I could understand why Julia was broght to tears- not so much for you.

Vinnie bugs. Loved Rock putting his hand on his back to tell him to stop. Aaron made me uncomfortable watching him.

Edited by Chesty LaRue, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:25 PM.