Ty Murray's Celebrity Bull Riding Challenge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

68 replies to this topic

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

Jesus....I wonder how many "We're not responisble for..." papers these guys had to sign. I hope they have really good insurance:

No bull: CMT taps Garrett, Baldwin, Vanilla Ice
By Kimberly Nordyke Wed May 30, 1:40 AM ET
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Rapper-musician Vanilla Ice, actor Stephen Baldwin and actor-musician Leif Garrett are among the celebrities set to take part in CMT's upcoming reality series "Ty Murray's Celebrity Bull Riding Challenge."
ADVERTISEMENT
The six-part show -- in the vein of sister network VH1's "The Surreal Life," albeit with a much different setting -- features rodeo superstar Ty Murray trying to teach nine celebrities the dangerous sport of bull riding. It is set to debut at 9 p.m. August 10.
Other celebrities on board include former ex-NFL player Rocket (Raghib) Ismail, Moto-X rider Kenny Bartrum, actor "Nitro" Dan Clark ("American Gladiator"), reality star Jonny (Dalton) Fairplay ("Survivor"), UFC fighter Josh Haynes and actor Francesco Quinn.
The celebrities will be tested physically and mentally for 10 days with daily tutorials where they will be taught how to mount the bull in the chute, take a fall, focus their concentration and survive an intense eight seconds on a bull. As their days on the ranch progress, the challenges become more intense, and those who last will compete at a Professional Bull Riders event in Nashville. The show also will feature the cast rivalries and squabbles that arise throughout the training.

And just 3 days later:

Stephen Baldwin injured in bull-riding fall
June 02, 2007 09:28am
Article from: Reuters

ACTOR Stephen Baldwin, nursing a broken shoulder and rib from a reality-TV rodeo accident, said on Friday the bull that threw him to the ground in four seconds was more fierce than he had expected.
The 41-year-old performer, youngest of the acting brothers that include William, Daniel and Alec Baldwin, injured himself on Thursday while working on cable network CMT's upcoming series "Ty Murray's Celebrity Bull Riding Challenge."

"I held on for about four jumps, and then I just ate a bunch of dirt," Baldwin said, adding the whole bumpy ride was over in four seconds.

He and fellow celebrity contestants, including rapper-musician Vanilla Ice and actor Leif Garrett, had just started training on live bulls when he got thrown.

"We were supposed to be on these kind of dainty versions of (bulls) that weren't supposed to get too excited," he recalled.

"But you never can tell what a bull's gonna do. So this particular one that I had kind of rose to the occasion.

"I don't know if he knew it because he had a Baldwin on his back," the actor joked.

"He did a whole lot more bucking than anyone could have anticipated."

Baldwin said he was wearing a safety helmet but "landed hard" and "got stepped on a little bit, too."

He ended up with a broken left scapula and a broken rib, and was outfitted with a special brace and sling he has to wear for the next four to six weeks.

He was supposed to travel to Russia next week for a movie shoot, but his doctor told him, "I have to give the whole performance with my thumb in my pocket."

As for the TV show, featuring rodeo superstar Ty Murray teaching nine celebrities the finer points of bull riding, Baldwin will sit out the rest of the production.

Despite his accident, Baldwin is no rodeo neophyte. He performed his own stunts in the 1994 movie 8 Seconds, about the legendary bull-riding champion Lane Frost, co-starring as his friend and fellow rodeo star Tuff Hedeman.

Heh. Too bad it wasn't Johnny Fairplay. I wasn't too enthused about this show to before and now that I read that he's on it, I'm even less so. Still, I might give it a shot because I could turn out pleasantly surprised.

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 4:17 PM

This is a real show? Or is it just natural selection?

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:27 PM

lol!

I'm thinking natural selection.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 3:02 PM

This is a real show? Or is it just natural selection?

Yes, and yes :)

I actualy might tune into this in hopes one of the bulls stomps the crap out of Fairplay. And because I'm really curious as to what Nitro looks like now (how old is he? Gladiators was forever ago!)

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 11:23 AM

wait... they are actually sending these guys to a PBR event? Too bad Little Yellow Jacket retired.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

wait... they are actually sending these guys to a PBR event?

Yep. They filmed the finals in Nashville last weekend.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 6:40 AM

It's on tonight. Anyone going to watch? I think I'm going to tune in just to see Dan Clark. I had such a crush on Nitro back in the Gladiator days! And he was pretty awesome in person, too.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 8:52 AM

I'll be watching. I'm a fan of PBR, so I want to see Ty Murray and some of the other professional riders. I'm not really interested in any one celebrity, but after some of the clips I saw on CMT, it will be fun to watch their progression in the sport.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

I saw a commercial for this the other day and Nitro looks super skinny now! His face looks much more gaunt than I remember. And Johnny Fairplay looks like Annie now that he has curly red hair.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Vanilla Ice is doing yet another reality show.

Tackhead

Tackhead

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

Never mind.

Edited by Tackhead, Aug 10, 2007 @ 5:06 PM.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

Well that wasn't as bad as I expected it to be (yet, anyway). I got a few good laughs and was quite interested in some of the basics of bullriding since I'm not all too familiar with the finer details of how it's done. I was also alternately wondering just what these guys thought they were getting into and impressed that some of them could admit that they were scared.

I'm not a big fan of Justin McBride, but I still grinned when I saw him there to help out. No matter what I think of him, he's a beautiful rider.

I'll watch again next week.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 1:54 AM

How'd Nitro do?

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 11:20 AM

You know, I can't tell you specifically because I'm still trying to put names to faces (of the ones I don't know--and I had no idea who Nitro was before this show). But, all of the guys did pretty well except for Leif. He quit on the morning of day three.

If I get a chance, I'll go thru it again today and get back to you with more, unless someone else watched it and can help out a little.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

Dan did good, I thought; although when he was on his real bull, it looked like he got bucked off immediately. They did seem to gloss over any of his actions pretty quickly, except for the bull choosing (he wanted the biggest bull since he was the biggest guy, which was the last one to come out, but Ice wanted the calmest one - which looked like it would be the same bull, so Dan had to take the reject bull - got minorly pissy about it). I did get a kick that it looked like everyone (esp. Fairplay) had Nitro holding their collar while they strapped themselves to the bulls.

Stephen Baldwin is cool and it was neat seeing the other guys comment on that. I hope that if that cliffhanger is that he gets hurt, he somehow stays on the show.

Lief is an ass and is apparently petrified of looking anyone in the eyes.

gersha

gersha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 6:04 PM

This show was WAY better than I expected - it was actually entertaining, didn't feel scripted and you could really sense the fear that some of these guys had when faced with the bulls. Kudos to them for not trying to tough it out - well, except for Nitro: "I'm not afraid of f***ing Woodstock!" I had to laugh when he was on the mechanical bull and telling Jewel, "Bring it, baby!" - she cranked the machine and he went thump onto the mat! Ha!

A bit disappointing that Leif Garrett wimped out after barely making contact with a bull. Maybe he had some serious or pre-existing back condition, who knows - but you had to figure there'd be SOME pain involved in this scenario, no? Maybe it's just that he couldn't see what the hell he was doing, since he was pretty much wearing that bandana as a blindfold.

Add me to the Justin McBride love, as far as this show is concerned anyway. When he showed up at first, he looked HOT! (Not so much later when he was all sweaty). Amazing that he made that ride on a previously unridden bull - you could tell Ty and Cody Lambert were really impressed.

And Ty's ranch -WOW. The impression was that it wasn't even his actual home, just like a dude ranch or vacation house or something. It was spectacular.

Really hope Stephen Baldwin is ok. Looked like the bull totally landed on his leg.

osowolf

osowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2007 @ 6:35 PM

Oh my. I actually found myself enjoying Johnny Fairplay. I actually found myself rooting for him. What the hell?!?

I liked Francesco Quinn. At first I thought he was arrogant, but then, he kind of backed it up. Curious to see if he annoys me or I continue to like him.

Leif? Whatever.

The Ultimate Fighting Guy seems like a jerk. Not familiar with him at all so it could be just a bad impression.

Vanilla Ice is a jerk, but seemed calm for the first episode. I don't think we will see any set destroying Surreal Life antics on this show. Too many guys who will kick his ass in a heartbeat.

gersha

gersha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 12, 2007 @ 12:24 PM

Never thought I'd hear the term "Feng Shui" used in reference to bull riding!

Thank you, Vanilla Ice.

TheMonkey

TheMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

I'm a closet PBR fan. I was laughing so much at this show. The fear that filled Johnny Fairplay was priceless.

My dream bull for the guys...I was also thinking more along the lines of the long lost Bodacious bucking those reality television bottom feeders into next year.

I have to say I did like Quinn's attitude.

EdithPrickley

EdithPrickley

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

I'm strangely fascinated by this show -- I think I watched part of it all 25 times it was rebroadcast this weekend (ok, maybe just 4 or 5 times). I don't really approve of bull-riding, but the chance that a bull might get revenge on the human race via Johnny Fairplay is too much to pass up. And Franco Quinn is hot -- I had no idea who he was, but when they said his last name was Quinn, I knew he was Anthony's son. But much hotter. I do like that Fairplay is admitting that he is scared to death, but he can't really deny it because he's shaking like a leaf most of the time.

Oh, and Nitro! (I almost called him Turbo.) I caught the show in the middle the first time so I didn't see the "American Gladiator" explanation and thought he looked so familiar. Ah, good times in the 80s.

Did anyone notice Jewel's "sexy pose" while manning the mechanical bull controls? Ugh, I find her tiring.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 4:58 PM

I had to laugh when he was on the mechanical bull and telling Jewel, "Bring it, baby!" - she cranked the machine and he went thump onto the mat! Ha!

hee! Was that Nitro? I loved that part, too.

osowolf, Johnny wasn't bothering me as much as I thought he would either.

gersha, isn't it funny how different Justin was on this show as opposed to PBR? And I, too, was impressed that he rode Blueberry Buckle (that was his name, right?). He made it look so easy! I was honestly surprised to see him on the show. At first I wondered if it was a contractual thing with PBR, but he looked like he was enjoying it. I've seen Brian Canter in some stills, too, and someone else said they saw Ross Coleman. Those riders alone would help me decide to keep watching.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 5:07 PM

I didn't get to see this. Was there any discussion about if/how the rider's protect their jewels?

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 7:44 PM

I didn't get to see this. Was there any discussion about if/how the rider's protect their jewels?

On the PBR website they say that they don't--wearing a cup hurts too much. Some guys wear the tighter biker shorts under their jeans and others just wear their regular underwear.

gersha

gersha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 8:11 PM

I don't think there was any mention of jewel-protective gear, but I remember one of the celebrities was a bit concerned about his! My husband is convinced that they must wear some kind of shield - he said "they might not be smart enough to wear a helmet, but they're gonna protect what's important!"

I wasn't too surprised to see Justin participating. I doubt if it's under contract with PBR, since he's not the current world champion, but probably just a chance for volunteers to get a bit more exposure via reality tv. No matter what they say about Justin not being a fan of the media, I think he likes the spotlight just a little bit.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2007 @ 1:16 PM

I don't know if any of you ever watched the Samauri Sportsman. It was a corny reality show on OLN where a martial arts expert (Yoshi) tried to master things like hunting, fishing, etc. They did an episode where he took on bull riding. Adriano was there to teach him. There was a point where Yoshi solicited Adriano to touch his privates, something Adriano was understandably reluctant to do. Adriano finally submitted and then laughed at the fact Yoshi was wearing a cup and told him to take it out and said that bull riders "have hard balls." I suppose wearing a cup while bucking could actually be dangerous; if the riders butt lifts and the cup slips and then the rider comes back down on the displaced cup... well... bad things could happen. I still wonder about it, though.

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Aug 15, 2007 @ 1:17 PM.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2007 @ 3:56 PM

hee! That sounds great, ThatPoshGirl.

Does anyone know how many episodes are in this series? If they went thru almost three days in one show, then it must be a short series.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 7:04 AM

Only 6 episodes, I believe. Darn - I'm going to be out of town tomorrow night and won't be able to watch until Sunday.

MissMitzi

MissMitzi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 7:29 AM

My dream bull for the guys...I was also thinking more along the lines of the long lost Bodacious bucking those reality television bottom feeders into next year.

Hee! I had the same thought reading this thread--"They should get some celebrity bulls for these fellows to ride!" And of course my first thought was of Bodacious, too.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 9:06 AM

Thanks, NickyPick. That's actually a couple of episodes longer than I expected it to be.

Bodacious? From the replays I've seen of him, he'd flatten the celebs with just a look! Didn't someone die while riding him? Or come really close?

TheMonkey

TheMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 9:12 AM

Tuff Hedeman was the bull rider that nearly died rding Bodacious. His face was compeltely shattered. Scary stuff.

TVKimmy

TVKimmy

Channel Surfer

• Interests:So ya, Im 38, live in the midwest and I am a pop culture junkie! lol I'm disabled, so I even have more to spend with my beloved music, TV and movies.<br /><br />I LOVE competitive reality shows. I am also a TOTAL marathon ho - if I can catch an entire season in a day, even if its crap - I'm watching it! lol

Posted Aug 16, 2007 @ 3:06 PM

Im watching a rerun of the first ep now. I will watch the entire run of this just for the opportunity to possibly watch Vanilla Ice catch a hoof in the face. Please oh please gods. I will do anything you want if you could just smash Rob VanImAJoke in the face. Amen.

OMG. "Bullriding is not, and never has been, a sport for pussies" with the closeup of Johnnie Fairplay. HA!

Edited by TVKimmy, Aug 16, 2007 @ 3:08 PM.