SYTYCD In Other Countries: OPA!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

401 replies to this topic

culturequeen

culturequeen

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 9:57 AM

Here's the place to discuss Natalie's choreography on the Greek SYTYCD, and if belly dancing really deserves its crossover from the Turkish version.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 8:24 AM

I haven't watched any of the foreign versions yet (although I understand that the German and Hungarian versions in particular are quite good, so I definitely plan to watch them in the future), but I just found out that the Netherlands is also contemplating taking up the franchise. The funny thing is that the DWTS enthusiasts there are dead-set against it; they're afraid that it will somehow overtake and kill the DWTS franchise there.

I'm definitely going to have to tune in now... .

spiveh

spiveh

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 8:58 AM

I caught the Greek SYTYCD from you tube. It's really interesting to see the show in another language. Natalie was decent and a choreographer, but really felt that she had no business trying to teach crumping. LOL

She did a lot of broadway choreography as well.

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2007 @ 10:42 AM

There is a Malaysian SYTYCD as well. Apparently the Finale is this week.

Interesting note: Dmitry performed at Malaysia in one of their results shows.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

There was some interesting choreography on the Greek version : I liked the Contemporary done to Beautiful Liar. Most of the Malaysian one was kinda cheesy but the ballet couple was just stunning ( Isaac and Suheili, I think). Not sure what to think of the hip-hop guy ( Dennis?)...

lucinda

lucinda

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2007 @ 12:15 AM

shimi, do you happen to know who choreographed the contemporary piece? I'm curious, although I haven't been able to watch/find it yet.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2007 @ 8:29 AM

Natalie has signed on for a second season for the Greek version.

inmyeyes

inmyeyes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2007 @ 8:58 AM

Singapore also had its own version of SYTYCD. But instead of being an individual competition, it was a group competition. Same general idea as SYTYCD. There were a few qualifying rounds and when it got to the Top 10 groups, it was a different dance genre every week. Every group gets to randomly pick one pre-selected song and they have to choreograph a routine to it. No DODs; just a bottom 3 and someone going home. Until Top 5 when a winner is voted for out of the remaining 5 groups

And Benji was the guest performer at the finale. Didn't really care for his routine but his performance with the finalists was nice. You can see a not-so-great quality of his solo routine here

This performance from one of the Top 5 groups, Platinum, is one of my faves from the compeition.

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2007 @ 9:12 AM

This performance from one of the Top 5 groups, Platinum, is one of my faves from the compeition.

That was cool - I love illusions in group performances.

But was Benji trying to rip off Blake's Body Language move with his shirt? Cause that was disturbing.

Does it have any affiliation with SYTYCD? Because it's called The Dancefloor, and it has a completely different format...

Edited by ReiaLee, Jul 24, 2007 @ 9:15 AM.

The Hookah

The Hookah

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

But instead of being an individual competition, it was a group competition.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0365957/

lucinda

lucinda

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:13 AM

So You Think You Can Dance is coming to Australia! Being an Australian, and not able to vote etc yet getting sucked into certain contestants on the US version has frustrated me entirely - but, honestly, I am apprehensive about watching it here on the television without the presence of Cat, Mia, Wade, and even Mary and conniving Nigel... I will miss them! It's going to be mighty pleasant not to have to scour the internet for clips of the show, however!

Edited by lucinda, Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:57 PM.

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:29 AM

BEST NEWS EVER.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 11:50 AM

I wouldn't mind if we could get foriegn versions of SYTYCD on our t.v. here in the states.

lucinda

lucinda

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:58 PM

Hee, ReiaLee, I knew you for sure would be one to be similarly excited!

Who do you think the judges could be?

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2007 @ 6:35 PM

I hope it won't be any of the Dancing with the Stars judges; that show just annoys me with it's faux celebrities so I don't want a SYTYCD connection...

I don't know who the judges would be...we don't have many well known choreographers. Well, choregraphers that've had TV exposure. I think SYTYCD will be good for the dance industry here.

I have dancing friends and I HOPE that some of them audition. Plus then I'd be able to get some insider scoop :D

dejafu

dejafu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2007 @ 2:23 PM

I'm very surprised they haven't done a UK version yet:
  • Their version of Dancing With The Stars (Strictly Come Dancing) is very popular.
  • Nigel is a British TV producer.
  • Every other reality competition show has been copied to both countries.

gangel269

gangel269

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2007 @ 3:14 PM

I'm very surprised they haven't done a UK version yet:

They did have a very similar show called "Strictly Dance Fever" on BBC Three. It was all aspiring and trained dancers, like SYTYCD, who were asked to dance in different styles, but I believe the contestants entered as couples, stayed in the same couples, and were eliminated as couples.

It wasn't popular and was cancelled after one season. Graham Norton was the host.

maltipom

maltipom

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2007 @ 5:58 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that Nigel offered it to the TV companies over here (GB) but they turned it down as they thought there were enough dance shows. So what do we get instead...Dance X!

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2007 @ 2:47 PM

So in SYTYCD Greece, apparently Natalie choreographs some of the contestand dances. In one of the clips in youtube, she teaches them krumping. Since when did Natalie learn how to krump?

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Aug 9, 2007 @ 11:17 PM

I'm sure I read somewhere that Nigel offered it to the TV companies over here (GB) but they turned it down as they thought there were enough dance shows. So what do we get instead...Dance X!

Which we, in turn, will be getting sometime early next year, probably in January, thanks to Bruno Tonioli.

The irony, it is delicious, no?

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

After experiencing TPTB's sticky fingerprints all over Season 3, it'll be refreshing to watch SYTYCD Australia with newbie PTBs who have yet to finetune their meddling abilities.

lucinda

lucinda

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

ITA, ReiaLee! I'm really hoping for something by the folk at Bangarra Dance Theatre to be included in the show at some point. The promotional ads on Channel Ten with Cat acting all cheeky have me giddy with excitement!

Jimothy21

Jimothy21

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

Any word on whether they plan to do a Russian version? We all know how many Russians have been on the US show. It'd be cool to see the likes of Anya, Pasha, Dmitry (and okay Ivan and Faina) on the show as choreographers/judges. Pasha could teach "heep-hop"!

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 6:42 PM

Can't find the article online, but there was a small one in the paper yesterday that said there's a good chance that Megan Gale will be hosting Aus SYTYCD. We seem to be going for the tall leggy host here as well. Too bad they didn't realise that the reason why Cat is awesome is not because of her looks but because of her personality and hosting abilities. I hope Megan can make a good host, not just be eye candy.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 11:59 AM

http://video.google....1...h&plindex=1

Unfortunately it looks like the people who are handling the camera's in Greece interned on the SYTYCD set.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Unfortunately it looks like the people who are handling the camera's in Greece interned on the SYTYCD set.

Sad but true. :(

But WOW. I really liked that routine. They were very, very good. I especially liked that each took a turn being highlighted, yet they were soooo together in the parts that required that. American S3. Take notes!

Were these guys part of the top 4?

Linhgo

Linhgo

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 7:40 AM

I'm going to bet the Aussies here five fake dollars that Wade will be a part of the Australian version in some capacity. Apparently he's part of the panel that's picking the top 20 dancers for the Polish version. If he's doing that random gig, he HAS to come to his birth country to promote the brand. It's a bit strange he's unknown in Australia since we're usually so obsessed with our successful expats.

ReiaLee

ReiaLee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 8:23 AM

Linhgo, I hope Wade would be involved somehow. Maybe he'll choreograph a special group routine or something. And I do agree with the fact that it's strange that we're not as obsessed with Wade as we should be. I mean, we love taking credit for successful people, even if they don't technically 'belong' to us.

I wonder if they'll bring someone from S2 or S3 of the US version to perform? Dmitry performed at the Malaysian SYTYCD apparently, so we gotta have someone. Pasha and Anya would be my dream performance!

lucinda

lucinda

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 8:33 PM

Maybe Wade is so burned by our country's sport-loving hatred of the arts that he doesen't want anything to do with us! I kid, hopefully he will be involved in some capacity on the show.

I'd love to see Bangarra Dance Theatre involved at some point, too. They're amazing -- how great would it be to have a truly Australian dance language on the show?

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:45 PM

I'd love to see Bangarra Dance Theatre involved at some point, too. They're amazing -- how great would it be to have a truly Australian dance language on the show?

Thanks, lucinda, for the link. I love how much I learn on this site. This troupe is mezmerizing (of the videos I've watched so far). I was a chubby girl who loved ballet and took classes until the harsh reality of not being the correct physical proportions hit me... but I still love dance and this group is a true gem.

edited for clarity

Edited by anothermi, Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:46 PM.