In The Media: So You Think You Can Link?

• Please log in to reply

2000 replies to this topic

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Zooey Deschanel, first celebrity judge, Green Mile:

Zap2it article

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Section 2 of Benji's interview is well worth watching despite how incredibly long it is. He's certainly become more boyishly handsome with age and he is very articulate. Most of what he says about the way the show is made was unsurprising and just confirms stuff we've seen before. I was slightly surprised that he didn't address the Benjelle phenomenon more explicitly, because they certainly played that meme well. I wish he'd been more specific about the people who didn't talk to him when he was on the show - I noted he never named Nick Lazzarini, which is sensible considering what an asshole Nick has been to him since. I also think the pranks they pulled on him on tour were disgusting.

Nick Lazzarini was not on the same season as Benji, so they never competed directly against each other. However, Nick was pretty tight with Travis and made many douchey remarks on the internet regarding Benji. I was under the impression that Travis was part of that alliance known as the Circle of Friends, the one that Benji claims tormented him. So it surprises me that Travis was actually Benji's mutual crush. Since Travis texted Benji "I'm proud of you" after his coming-out podcast, it might be nice if more fence-mending is coming down the pike soon.

A lot of what Benji said about Season 2 was no revelation, but there are a couple of side things Benji talked about that I've never heard before. Two questions are driving me absolutely mad!

1) What top boy failed the psych evaluation that bumped alternate Benji into the Top 20? I always thought Benji got in because the producers discovered that Hok lacked a work visa. So, who was the "crazy person"? I'm rifling through my brain files trying to remember who was a standout that year but who never came back to audition again. Perhaps Henry, the adopted kid? After Henry was cut at the Green Mile, Shane Sparks made a comment "that [rejection] was the hardest one for me."

2) Which choreographer showed up to the show as a fake and left mid-rehearsal??The only routine I remember from S2 where the choreogrpaher walked before the dance was finished out was Ashley & Ben's hip-hop. I can't recall who the choreographer was though...someone who surely came back to choreograph again?!?

Elaborations, anyone? I swear there used to be a "Behind The Scenes" thread to discuss such drama, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Edited by WelcomeStranger, Jun 24, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I noted he never named Nick Lazzarini, which is sensible considering what an asshole Nick has been to him since.

Sorry, those were disconnected points - it does sound like I thought Nick was on s2, but I really meant that he called him something like a winner of the show without naming him, which as I remember, (and I'm not watching that whole dang interview again just to find out) seemed to reference what a douchenozzle Nick was to him.

Was Travis really his mutual crush or have I misunderstood you - I didn't think so - didn't his mutual crush get voted off and come back later? Or am I misremembering again? And didn't his mutual crush have an ex-bf in Utah, which somebody thought meant we were talking about James?

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I know, I know. But there's a new, briefer interview up now, where Benji says Travis "was my first crush after I came back from my mission, actually."

Benji's Brief OUT Interview

But yes, he definitely led people to believe his crush was someone who'd left the show early: either Ben or Jamyz. Maybe that big tense mutual crush was indeed one of the non-Top-Ten people. But here he says Travis was his FIRST crush after mission, and he says it rather nonchalantly instead of being all jittery, protect-the-innocent-like. Maybe he's being more forthright now since Travis texted him after the podcasts to tell Benji he was proud of him.

Edited because apparently I can't link

Edited by WelcomeStranger, Jun 24, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

Sinala

Sinala

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

2) Which choreographer showed up to the show as a fake and left mid-rehearsal??The only routine I remember from S2 where the choreogrpaher walked before the dance was finished out was Ashley & Ben's hip-hop. I can't recall who the choreographer was though...someone who surely came back to choreograph again?!?

It's funny Welcomestranger I was thinking of the very same routine. I do recall the choreographer saying something during the rehearsal clip that he doesn't count music he goes by beat or something. He just seemed very odd to me and that routine was not very good in my opinion. But then again, after the routine was done didn't they show him in the audience as is customary after the conclusion of a piece? So, did he really leave or was he just brought back to the performance show his face? I do remember he was never brought back on the show again.

I will say I was surprised to know that it was Benji and Travis that choreographed the final two boys routine. If Shane Sparks had an earlier commitment why didn't they get another hip hop choreographer to do it? Nevertheless, I still love that routine because it was just plain fun.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

DanceSpirit's cover story for July/August is Newsies - pictures and a short of interview with Alex Wong and three other male dancers. Thayne Jasperson, Evan Kasprzak, Jess LeProtto, Brian Friedman, and Dee Caspary are mentioned but no pictures or interview material with them.

According to wikipedia, Ashlee and Ben's hip hop during week 3 was choreographed by Todd Sams.

thebends

thebends

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

When I was trying to figure out who Benji was talking about there, Ben and Ashlee's hip hop was the one I came up with too.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Eonline got me with Watch Now: SYTYCD's Top Five Performances of All Time!

Top five, may ass. It's Nigel and Mary talking about their personal favorite five.

Don't get suckered like I did.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I...can't disagree with that list. Maybe I'd have put in Jakob/Eleanor Sonya instead of Travis/Heidi's bench because it's a little overwrought, but if we are not counting group dances. that list makes sense to me.

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Eonline got me with Watch Now: SYTYCD's Top Five Performances of All Time!

Top five, may ass. It's Nigel and Mary talking about their personal favorite five.

Don't get suckered like I did.

Nigel and Mary still smoke crack, apparently. The only routine that belongs on that list is Hok and Jaime's Hummingbird, maybe the Argentine Tango but I wouldn't pick it over Danny/Anya's Fox Trot to "It Had to Be You" or "Hip Hip, Chin Chin." Some of the best performances on the show are group routines, and they always leave those out. Mia's "Addiction," "The Moment I Said It," and even "Alice In Wonderland" easily take out that insipid bench routine.

Melanie is great, but none of her routines belong in the top 5. Her audition and solos beat her partner routines because she is the best choreographer of herself. It just again shows Nigel's agenda when it comes to building favorite lists mostly from routines in the latter 5 seasons, forsaking a lot of the great work of the earlier ones.

Edited by IHeartDVR, Jul 6, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Nigel and Mary still smoke crack, apparently. The only routine that belongs on that list is Hok and Jaime's Hummingbird, maybe the Argentine Tango but I wouldn't pick it over Danny/Anya's Fox Trot to "It Had to Be You" or "Hip Hip, Chin Chin." Some of the best performances on the show are group routines, and they always leave those out. Mia's "Addiction," "The Moment I Said It," and even "Alice In Wonderland" easily take out that insipid bench routine.

I'm not a fan of the bench routine either. Maybe it was the first one that created a big buzz from viewers, so that may be why it's memorable to Nigel. And speaking of strictly ballroom, I don't even remember the Argentine Tango. To the ballrooms/Latins you named, I would add Katee and Joshua's Paso Doble, which was strong and powerful compared to many of the tentative pasos we've had on this show. I still watch it from time to time, so it had a personal impact with me.

Melanie is great, but none of her routines belong in the top 5. Her audition and solos beat her partner routines because she is the best choreographer of herself. It just again shows Nigel's agenda when it comes to building favorite lists mostly from routines in the latter 5 seasons, forsaking a lot of the great work of the earlier ones.

Just for what it's worth, Melanie didn't choreograph her audition solo. The two women who did won some kind of competition award for it before she used it in her audition. The full version really is beautiful.

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I'm not a fan of the bench routine either. Maybe it was the first one that created a big buzz from viewers, so that may be why it's memorable to Nigel.

I believe it may have been the first routine to win the show an Emmy. Season two began the neverending quest for more Emmys, which was why Mia could get away with just about anything.

Just for what it's worth, Melanie didn't choreograph her audition solo. The two women who did won some kind of competition award for it before she used it in her audition. The full version really is beautiful.

Gotcha. The audition really showcased all of her skills. Heck, if I am honest, Melanie's work with Sasha stands out more for me than her routine with Neil.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Interview with Cyrus, Amber, and George, Access Atlanta

SnarkyTart

SnarkyTart

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I don't find a topic for Travis Walls' new show, "All the Right Moves", which debuted this week. I'm adding a post here because Travis has eight alumni from SYTYCD in his new group, including a few of my past favorites. It was great to see some of them again, and to see some of their fabulous dancing!

SYTYCD alumni

Jaimie Goodwin
Melanie Moore
Alison Holker
Channing Cooke
Alexa Anderson
Ade Obayomi
Adrian Lee
Robert Roldan

Link to cast and first episode recap

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

SnarkyTart, you can find the thread here.

Edited by Holliday, Aug 2, 2012 @ 10:55 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I enjoyed seeing the Top 20 having fun in the pool on a day off (this is before the 1st performance).

Will is up for anything. His TV persona seems to be his real-life one. WYSIWYG.

Cole appears to be the chronicler.

Edited to add that WYSIWYG means "What You See Is What You Get". It isn't as universal as I assumed it was.

Edited by anothermi, Aug 13, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

SnarkyTart

SnarkyTart

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Thank you, Holliday!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2012 @ 4:54 AM

The September issue of Dance Spirit magazine is full of SYTYCD news! The cover story is a four page interview with the "SYTYCD sweethearts" (their phrase) Allison and Twitch. Other features:

Doriana Sanchez: Letter to My Teenage Self (with a great picture of her from Dirty Dancing)
Courtney Galiano: Off the Record (she talks about having multiple sclerosis
Jeanine Mason: Why I Chose College

The Dance Spirit website still has the July/August issue as the most current one, so none of the stories above are online yet. Hopefully they'll be available in the next few days!

Their online newsletter also has an interview with Alex Wong where he talks about leaving Newsies (for a job in LA that he can't talk about yet) and also mentions that he'll be performing two dances (one with Allison, one with Twitch) at the Vail Dance Festival's Dance TV showcase on August 11.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Aug 11, 2012 @ 5:05 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Alexa wasn't part of the interviews with her fellow eliminees (at least the ones that I saw), but she is interviewed by herself in this article:
http://www.celebdirt...-anderson-0810/
It doesn't give any explanation for her absence from the group interviews, but it does say some things about her background that I certainly didn't know.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Recent Vlog from Cole and Chehon that confirms that Mia is working with each of the pairs and that reduces the amount of time they get with her. They are supposed to be making the pieces fresh by not trying to imitate the original, but bring themselves to the piece they get.

Chehon says they are practicing their solos at night. I guess because there is an elimination each episode this makes sense. At first thought everyone would be doing a solo as well, but there are still too many contestants for that at this point.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

The September issue of Dance Spirit magazine is full of SYTYCD news! The cover story is a four page interview with the "SYTYCD sweethearts" (their phrase) Allison and Twitch. Other features:

Doriana Sanchez: Letter to My Teenage Self (with a great picture of her from Dirty Dancing)
Courtney Galiano: Off the Record (she talks about having multiple sclerosis
Jeanine Mason: Why I Chose College

Allison and Twitch's interview in Dance Spirit (includes a cute picture with Allison's daughter, Weslie)
Unfortunately, the other interviews/articles aren't available online yet.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Aug 14, 2012 @ 2:42 AM.

funnylisa

funnylisa

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Didn't know where to post this, but this is a silly parody of So You Think you Can Dance. The Mary Murphy judge is spot on.
http://youtu.be/dA49FDAsnCU

ilovenickolas

ilovenickolas

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Interesting interview with Tiffany where she reveals that more than one relationship has formed between dancers in the top 20. I love gossip. I wonder who? Any ideas?

Edited by ilovenickolas, Sep 11, 2012 @ 2:52 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

The October issue of Dance Spirit has an article called "Recipe for SYTYCD Success: Why don't gifted technical dancers do better on SYTYCD?" Katee Shean, Melanie Moore, Jakob Karr, Jeanine Mason, Mandy Moore, Sonya Tayeh, and Nigel Lythgoe were interviewed (unfortunately since the issue just came out, only the cover story about their cover model search is available online right now). The article says that Melanie Moore was "one of the only technical dancers to triumph on the show." I guess Nick, Benji, Sabra, Jeanine, and Lauren weren't technical dancers? Even if you look at who won second place, most of them are technical dancers too (Melody, Travis, Danny, Brandon, Jakob, Kent, and Sasha). Anyway, the article talks about how the dancers need to connect with the audience and be aware of how they come across (they mention Danny's focus being misread by the audience as arrogance). The best part of the article was Melanie talking about Jess helping Wadi learn how to pirouette and then several hip hop dancers helping Jess with hip hop choreography.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Some of the judges & Cat react to Eliana & Chehon winning:

Judge Mary Murphy was just as surprised, saying: "I was hoping it was going to be Chehon, but I honestly thought Cyrus was going to take it…I was definitely shocked at the result."

"I was really happy where they went with the male vote," agreed judge Adam Shankman, adding the female result was "perfect."

Were we the only ones not surprised Chehon was going to win? Cat Deeley breaks it down why America was probably shocked.

"Eliana and Tiffany could go either way," Cat told us. "I was surprised about the Cyrus and Chehon thing purely because Cyrus hadn't been in the bottom before."

"However, I do think Chehon is the better all round dancer and probably deserved to win a little bit more," Deeley dished.

The article also mentions that Chehon's parents weren't able to attend the finale, and he wishes that his family could have been there to celebrate with him.

Edited by QueenL, Sep 20, 2012 @ 12:49 AM.

extramile

extramile

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 3:16 AM

Spencer Liff was on the AfterBuzzTV AfterShow to talk about the finale. The I-was-trained-in-ballet host's a bit annoying but Spencer was a good guest.

Spencer, who was Emmy nominated for his choreography on SYTYCD and also danced in the winning Smash pieces, talked about the Emmy nominees and how Smash is quite different from SYTYCD/DWTS because of the amount of rehearsal/filming/editing involved. I think the same goes for hosting, it definitely seems more challenging to host live shows like SYTYCD/DWTS/American Idol than recorded shows like Survivor/Amazing Race.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Eliana and Chehon are currently taping cameos in a dance-reality-show themed episode of Bones. The episode will air in late November or early 2013.

The episode will include Tyce and Mary as themselves, judging a dance competition. I've seen tweets/photos from the set which include Dmitry, Anya, and Ryan and Ashleigh.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Kathryn McCormick as Dance Spirit's October cover girl includes an interview plus some quotes about her from Legacy, Stacey Tookey, and Misha Gabriel.

Eliana and Chehon are on the cover of the December issue (with a four page spread inside) but it isn't available online yet.

Mertseger

Mertseger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Believe it or not, we do get a tenth season. Now, if only my shitty U-Verse DVR will actually record ALL the episodes which it failed to do last season, I might be able to fully enjoy the show again.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Chehon, Tyce and Mary were on a recent episode of Bones that investigated a murder in and around a dance show.

It was a pretty amusing send up of So you Think you Can Dance.