6-3 "The Invasion"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 12:10 PM

Has anybody out there picked up the reconstruction of the Invasion yet?

I just read on Wiki that the animators slipped some Bad Wolf graffiti in there. Anybody see it?

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 4:57 PM

I don't own it yet, but I have seen it (it was one of the first things I did with my new Netflix subscription). I don't remember any Bad Wolf graffiti, but I really did enjoy watching it. The animation of Patrick Troughton was superb. They really caught him. Jamie, Zoe and the Brigadier did not come off quite so well, and strangely enough, Tobias Vaughn was much creepier in the flesh than in the animation. Actually though I felt a bit sorry for the animators; they had a Cyberman story and in only a couple of seconds of one of the missing episodes do the Cybermen actually appear. All in all, I enjoyed the story thoroughly, watching it over a couple of days. It was good seeing more of UNIT and the development that was going into the upcoming UNIT period. I

ace27

ace27

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 11:18 PM

I bought this..and I had read the book. I totally enjoyed the whole thing. Such a great story and wonderful performances. I totally recommend it to everyone.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 12:26 AM

I really love Two. I passed my copy off to a work friend to watch, since he's just getting into "Who." I also read that the Beeb is not going to pony up any more dough for animating the missing episodes. Why the hell not? They're better than any fan recreation we could find.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 5:52 AM

I heard that the Invasion was done with some leftover money from a project that BBCi was going to do that got canned (maybe some other Richard E. Grant, Ninth Doctor work?).

Seems to me that we could have done with fewer pointless tie-in websites (Millingdale Ice Cream, anybody?) and more restored Who. Heck, they should animate the missing pieces of the Daleks Master Plan.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 5:25 PM

Ah, The Invasion. I liked it immensely. Some people complain about UNIT overshadowing the Cybermen, but I'm actually all for that. It makes their appearances mean more, and I prefer the way Vaughan is integrated in the story as the main baddie.

If my memory serves me right, there's a scene in the elevator shaft where the Doctor is trying to fix the wiring and Jamie, in support, gives him a shoulder rub. Yeah, it's pretty funny.

Does any one know of a good retcon of The Invasion with telesnaps instead of the animation? Is Loose Cannon's pretty good? Don't get me wrong, I love the stellar job of the BBC animators and am so glad that they did it, but I really like telesnap recons myself and I'd like to be able to supplement the one with the other.

Demetrios

Demetrios

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

Does any one know of a good retcon of The Invasion with telesnaps instead of the animation? Is Loose Cannon's pretty good? Don't get me wrong, I love the stellar job of the BBC animators and am so glad that they did it, but I really like telesnap recons myself and I'd like to be able to supplement the one with the other.

There aren't any telesnaps for The Invasion. The guy who took them, John Cura, stopped doing so for Doctor Who a few weeks before during The Mind Robber, and, sadly, died a short time later. So any recon for The Invasion has to do without telesnaps..

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

There aren't any telesnaps for The Invasion.

Ah, that's quite unfortunate. Thanks, Demetrios.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 7:18 AM

I really love Two. I passed my copy off to a work friend to watch, since he's just getting into "Who." I also read that the Beeb is not going to pony up any more dough for animating the missing episodes. Why the hell not? They're better than any fan recreation we could find.

I agree, I thought they were excellent. I'd resisted watching any Two stories for a while because I didn't think I'd like them, but ‘The Invasion’ was great. In a way I liked the animated episodes more than the live action ones, the animation looks really stylish. I do think the story's a little long though - they probably could have done with making it a couple of episodes shorter at the time. The music's great though. And Jamie in his kilt - hotness!

I just read on Wiki that the animators slipped some Bad Wolf graffiti in there. Anybody see it?

I don't remember seeing it, but apparently it's on the wall in Isabelle's flat where she writes messages. I'll have to look at it again to check.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

I agree, I thought they were excellent. I'd resisted watching any Two stories for a while because I didn't think I'd like them, but ‘The Invasion’ was great. In a way I liked the animated episodes more than the live action ones, the animation looks really stylish. I do think the story's a little long though - they probably could have done with making it a couple of episodes shorter at the time.

Budget reasons. I think that's talked about on one of the docs. They needed to stretch the story out to fill the season for money's sake. It does have some padding, but hey--Two is still adorable.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 3:04 AM

I also read that the Beeb is not going to pony up any more dough for animating the missing episodes.

That's not exactly true.

The commissioning editor of 2|Entertain, the company that made the animated episodes posted this on the forum for the Restoration team back in April:

"After due consideration and for the foreseeable future, we are withdrawing from co-commissioning and co-producing any "classic" Doctor Who animations. I feel our energies will be better spent working on existing stories. With the New Series such a success, and the forthcoming animations for Totally Doctor Who, the BBC is in a far superior position to develop this idea. After all, the original commission of The Invasion came from them."

So, there still can be animated episodes, if the Beeb chooses to have them done. But the company that did the work for The Invasion won't be involved at this time.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 7:37 AM

So, there still can be animated episodes, if the Beeb chooses to have them done. But the company that did the work for The Invasion won't be involved at this time.

Thanks. I had incorrect info.

Just'sin

Just'sin

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 8:06 AM

However, 2 Entertain releases the Doctor Who DVDs both new and classic series. The chances of the BBC commissioning a serial with animated episodes if the company that handles the releases are very slim.

Saxon

Saxon

Channel Surfer

• Interests:The Doctor...wonderful chaps. All of them.

Posted Jun 2, 2007 @ 10:32 AM

this was a very well put together release! the animated episodes enhanced an already enjoyable tale.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 8:08 AM

Rumour also it that 2|Entertain were put off doing any more animations due to a rival animation effort being put together by a certain 'fan spokeman'. Yet again, Ian Levine manages to spoil everyone's fun, but at least we got this story done. I love the fact that Cosgrove Hall were really excited about animating the Cybermen, and then realised they were only needed for episodes one and four...which don't have Cybermen in them. Still, their animation trailer must have given them a little glow - lots of CH Cybermen stomping around in front of all the London landmarks you could hope for.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 7:17 AM

I would like to see this serial. It seems like it would be good. The only story that I have seen from the Second Doctor is Tomb of the Cybermen.

I think that it is interesting that the Second Doctor encountered the Cybermen several times, but then the Third Doctor never did.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 6:05 PM

Huh, never thought about that. I suppose there could be a couple reasons.

1) Three was stuck on Earth in either the 60's or the 70's (not getting into the UNIT dating contraversy..Don't really understand it, but then I haven't really put in the effort, either) for most of his time and it had already been established that the Two had met them in like 1986 or something when they came to Earth for the first time.

2) Three had the big reoccuring nemesis of the Master, who took up a lot of time that might have been dedicated to other villans.

ace27

ace27

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 5:44 PM

I believe the Unit stuff during Three was in the early 80's. I remember Sarah Jane making reference to it at some point.

There is no reason Cyberman could not have been during three's reign. After all, Invasion took place on earth. I did love the writing on the wall--can't lose a wall, right?

I loved Zoe messing with the computer and Jamie's fascination with the radio. This was one of the best episodes in Dr Who History. The Cyberman evolved a little more with this one too. It is funny, it is one of the very few episodes with Cybermen(Tenth planet and this one) that actually took place on earth.

I think Cyberman were the only monster villian to give me nightmares. The whole, "Never get tired and never give up" thing freaked me out!

Shadowknight

Shadowknight

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

The Cyberman evolved a little more with this one too. It is funny, it is one of the very few episodes with Cybermen(Tenth planet and this one) that actually took place on earth.

Well, Earthshock ALMOST took place on earth.

With a nuclear bomb. ;)

(well, technically it did, just in the past, not in the "present" like they intended.)

Just'sin

Just'sin

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 4:33 AM

Sarah Jane says she is from 1980 in the story, Pyramids of Mars. They even go back to 1980, the year The Doctor picked up Sarah Jane and it's a barren waste land.

However, in the episode Mawdryn Undead, the Brigadier has retired by the end of the 70s and becomes a teacher.

So who knows what happened and when.

Edited by Just'sin, Jun 16, 2007 @ 4:33 AM.

ace27

ace27

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 10:56 AM

Well, Earthshock ALMOST took place on earth.

With a nuclear bomb. ;)

(well, technically it did, just in the past, not in the "present" like they intended.)

well, Wheel in Space was in orbit around the earth too. I did think about that. Earth was often the subject...but not usually the place the story occurred. I did love that earthshock was the reason the dinosaurs became extinct.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 6:46 PM

Yeah, and when Sarah Jane makes reference to 1980, it's after Three regenerated to Four.

There is no reason Cyberman could not have been during three's reign. After all, Invasion took place on earth.

Yes, but Invasion took place in 1986, and it was the Cybermen's first visit to Earth. Three predated 1980, so they would have had to do an Enterprise style "They met the Ferengi, but they never said they were Ferengi so they were still unknown for ST:TNG." thing to make it work.

Edited by Ivriniel, Jun 16, 2007 @ 6:50 PM.

Demetrios

Demetrios

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

Yes, but Invasion took place in 1986, and it was the Cybermen's first visit to Earth

Actually, The Tenth Planet was the one that took place in 1986. There isn't an onscreen date for The Invasion, but to go by the Brigadier's remarks in the serial and Professor Travers' remarks in The Web of Fear, it works out to be around 1979 or so. Then again, Travers wasn't precise ("It must have been around 40 years ago") so there's some wiggle room there.

Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 9:50 PM

Ahhh..

So maybe they realized they had painted themselves into a corner with the dating of their various Cyberman episodes, and decided to leave things well enough alone?

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

I really liked the episode. I'm happy that some animated the lost episodes. It's much better than trying to listen only.

I really like this doctor. Also I love Jaime and Zoe.

If the BBC would give the New Who less of a CGI budget so they'd focus more on the story they might be able to finance more animation

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2009 @ 11:43 AM

I unexpectedly had to drive 900 miles the other day and needed some audio CDs to get through the trip. I picked up the BBC audio of this and it actually made the trip worthwhile. What fun! Made Indiana and Ohio fly by.

And Jamie in his kilt - hotness!

After the episodes were over there was an interview with Frazer Hines and he said he weighted down the kilt so when he was climbing down the fire escape the viewers wouldn't be able to see everything.

Good thing it was just me and cat in the car because my cry of "Cybermen!" when Jamie is in one of the "larger than a coffin" crates and the thing with him starts to move might have been a bit loud.

Didn't like that poor Lorry driver and the UNIT member in the sewer tunnels dying--the first because the reason for getting killed was him giving the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe a ride (and him keeping quiet about it) and the second because the UNIT guy was looking for Isabelle and Zoe (or was it Jamie at that point?) and they didn't give him a heads up about what was down there--even though Isabelle kept saying they should.

I loved Zoe messing with the computer

Wasn't loving Zoe in the episode until she destroyed that computer--and then spent the rest of the time in the building thinking she and Isabelle were being held prisoners because the company was angry about it. Oh, also loved her directing the missiles (as the audio described it--"running around behind the [navigators] with a clipboard in her hand") so the few missiles could take out the most targets.

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2009 @ 3:03 PM

In her cat suit!! :)

The lorry driver being shot seems creepier as an animation

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 12:48 AM

"PACKER!!!!"

No love for Tobias Vaughn? Yeah, it's a hammy performance, but damn it's pretty good. Total unapologetic megalomaniac who's deluded himself into believing he could pull one over on the Cybermen. Oh, and he's bulletproof. That makes him as scary as any Cyberman.

The story itself? A bit long at eight parts, but it's pretty good.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 5, 2010 @ 12:49 AM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 2:06 AM

Tobias Vaughn is wonderful, and a million times better then the same actor's performance as magic Mavic Chen a few years earlier. I like the fact that he spends the whole story berating Packer for his idiocy (and to be fair, the character is rather stupid), but by the time the Cybermen invade, Packer is the one who knows that trying to use and out-think the Cybermen will get them all killed.

The story is a bit long, but the production team at the time had a jones for making stories as long as possible, so that they could spread the cost of sets and location filming as far as possible. For the same reason, they set season 7 up to have three seven-part stories, which the incoming production team hated. Oddly enough, I find that The Invasions eight episodes go by much quicker then most Pertwee six parters, but that's probably because I like this cast and crew a lot more.

angora

angora

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

I'll always have a soft spot for this one because I LOVE the ending. Watching the Doctor, Jamie, and Zoe grope blindly through a cow pasture for the cloaked TARDIS makes me laugh so hard. There go our intrepid heroes...