Storm Hawks - The Show Skyland Was Supposed To Be

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

16 replies to this topic

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, SciFi, TV, cultural criticism, TV, black lit, TV, American Politics (such as it is), TV, horses, TV, media studies, TV, library and info studies, TV, film studies, TV, writing (fic, fanfic, lit crit), TV.

Current loves: Avatar, BSG, The Closer, Dexter, Life, Psych, Pushing Daisies, Spongebob (what?).

Canceled too soon: Andy Barker, Blade, Firefly, Invader Zim, Lucky, Brimstone, The Lone Gunmen, Miracles, Profit, Threshhold, Veronica Mars, Witchblade

Reality: TAR, Project Runway.

Other: Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Speeders

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 2:06 PM

Last night I was watching Storm Hawks and noticed that the world was somewhat like that of Skyland. The earth appeared fractured and ppl were living on the bits.

That's pretty much where the similarity ended. This show is much more fun and light. Even the villain is a bit flip. The animation isn't like the computer generated type of Skyland but it's incredibly smooth.

Personally, just from the one episode I saw, it's much more relatable than Skyland and just plain fun. I might have to watch this one.

From the website www.stormhawks.com:

This new high-flying adventure comedy series will transport viewers to a fantastical world where squadrons of high-flying Sky Knights battle to protect their air turf. Storm Hawks will air Mondays beginning June 4 as part of Cartoon Network’s summer programming line-up, where new episodes of hit shows premiere every Monday - Thursday at 7 p.m. (ET, PT).
No Sky Knight squad was more legendary than the STORM HAWKS—but that was before the dark forces of CYCLONIA put them out of commission. Now, five mismatched teens and their strange, furry sidekick have taken their quest, their gear and their name—and will send anyone who dares try and clip their wings into a serious tailspin! Armed with high-octane transforming flying motorcycles, these punks are dog-fighting some of the nastiest villains ever to hit the skies. Too young to have fear (or a pilot’s license), Aerrow, Piper, Finn, Junko, Stork and Radarr are burning rubber and cracking rudders on an adventure that will take your breath away... or just make you lose your lunch! From the tubular waves of Tropica to the snow-peaked mountains of Blizzaris, who knew that a dangerous quest could be this much fun!

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 3:53 PM

I've only seen one ep of Skyland -- the pilot -- but from what I recall it looked overly mocapped.

But animation-wise, Storm Hawks has more the opposite problem: a stilted, third-rate "Disney mannerism" feel. As a poster said about that general problem elsewhere: "snap then hold and secondary movement then line of dialog then snap then hand gesture and exaggerated facial expression then head-cock then line of dialog..."

I was only half paying attention, and even then only because of games like Skies of Arcadia and anime like Last Exile and Castle in the Sky that I'm just a huge sucker for nearly any animated show about flying. I'll try watching again with an eye to the story.

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 5:33 PM

I thought this show was okay. At least, I'm going to try to remember to watch more episodes to see how it goes. Something to watch without having to think too much.

Anyone know if the June 4th episode is a repeat of last night's?

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

Was I the only one that thought the main character and his pet looked just like Dax and Jaxter?

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Speaking of things the show reminded me of, I thought Radar and Arrow were like R2D2 and Luke Skywalker, especially in the opening race sequence when Radar was 'shot'.

pouchcotato

pouchcotato

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 1:39 PM

lol, did anyone see the premiere? I love this show! Seriously I was rofl the first time that resistance dude catapulted the toilet at them in the air. Then the mattress, too, and their armor both the old guy and his daughter – spatulas hanging out the back. Radarr and that chicken should have gotten it on. So shoulda the French chick and Finn. “Storm Hawks at your service” “Good, zen you can ‘old zis.”

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 2:04 PM

I liked this episode, too. I'm glad it wasn't a repeat of last week's (or was it two weeks ago?). It's confusing, because they called yesterday the premiere. Odd.

Radar should have whipped out a fork and knife--I think the chicken would have gotten the hint.

I thought the best part of the episode was the sequence where Arrow and Piper were explaining the plan with interspersed cut scenes of the plan in action.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 5:00 PM

I like the show, but something about the animation bugs me a bit. Also, considering that the surface of whatever world these people live on is a hellish field of sharp pointy rocks and lava are parachutes really supposed to be any help? I'm also a bit confused about the characters ages, especially the enemy ace guy. He's supposed to be a legendary ace who managed to shoot down all his opponents but he doesn't look significantly older then the main hero characters, whom I'm guessing are very young teens. Is he supposed to be an older teen? In his twenties?

Still, I too like anything with flying in it so I'll watch this. It's action packed with a lot of funny bits, like the bad guys providing their own music.

pouchcotato

pouchcotato

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 2:17 PM

Yeah, I think the parachutes are lame too - but Storm Hawks HAS to have them for the TV rating. None of the characters can be seen falling treacherously through the air - too violent. Us who are old enough can satisfiedly sit back and imagine the characters gently wafting down on the breeze - only to slowly be burned alive in a pit of lava.

scratcheyes

scratcheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:52 AM

Was I the only one that thought the main character and his pet looked just like Dax and Jaxter?

Anthony, no you're not. I glanced over while the show was on and thought, 'hey Jak and Daxter have their own show.'

BladeofJustice

BladeofJustice

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 8:20 PM

On the topic of the parachutes, I do see why they have them. True, they could be falling to a firey death anyway, but if they were lucky enough to be over real land I'd think they'd be happy to have the parachutes rather than becoming pancakes.

pouchcotato

pouchcotato

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 11:48 AM

If you watch it who do you like best? I like Piper, cuz I’m a girl, and even if I weren’t she’s the most mature of the bunch. Plus her helibike is badder than snot. I feel sorry for her a lot because she has to deal with the guys and no one wants to feel like a mom around their friends.

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 6:34 PM

I liked tonight's episode. I thought the resolution of the wallup's story was predictable, but I still liked this episode. I wonder which one of them Cyclonia was referring, to. I'm guessing it's the carrier pilot (Storm?) since we haven't seen very much of him, and he's due for some screen time, IMO.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 10:18 AM

I enjoy the mix of species on this show.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 7:52 AM

Never really gotten into this much (I liked Skyland better myself, but to each their own. :) ) But about the Parachutes, they don't seem like that bad of an idea. Chutes would slow your descent rate and give you more control as to where you are going, making it more likely you can be picked up in mid air, or make it to a safe spot than just free falling.

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

Is this series still playing new episodes? I thought it had been canceled.

GrainneG

GrainneG

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

The first half of season two was screened in Canada last autumn. The latter half is currently screening on YTV. None of season two has been shown in the US.

All episodes are now up on YouTube

For a while, it looked like there would be a season three, but it looks like those plans are up in the air ATM

There's a petition for season 3:

http://www.petitions...ions/stormhawks

Does anyone have any opinion on shipping in this show? Should there be romance at all?