Costuming And Make-Up: What's the Matter With the Clothes I'm Wearing?

• Please log in to reply

562 replies to this topic

vivacitude

vivacitude

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

No, the costume department is fairly frequently that awful.

GinevradiBenci

GinevradiBenci

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

Oh, god - remember the Flinstone's latin dance costume they put Evan in? And Caitlyn's tin foil alien costume that Nigel said made her look like a dancing condom?

sunnydaze

sunnydaze

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 2:59 PM

Actually, from those pictures, they look a bit similar, just with the fringe added on Lauren's. I don't think it's that big of a deal - costumes cost a ton, especially ballroom where they can't just wear street-clothes a la hip-hop.

On SYTYCD Canada season 2, a petite contemp dancer named Melanie was wearing the same pair of ripped and faded jeans as Vincent a larger, taller ballroom guy...on the very same show! ;-) I don't mind recycled costumes what I do mind is when the 'changes' come flying/flinging off while the dancer is performing.

Also, I don't think the judges should hold the dancers responsible for fugly costumes.

vivacitude

vivacitude

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

Bloody hell - the evil costumier strikes again tonight, what with that bizarre Mia Michaels group piece. How long is it going to take for this woman to realize that hammer pants and Elizabethan ruffs are NOT attractive?

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

Bwah! I think any costume based on Alice in Wonderland is going to be bizarre... so, I liked them.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 11:31 AM

Can we declare the season of contrasting crotch pants over and done with? Especially a lighter pant with darker crotch. It looks so very wrong.

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I swear that on the results show last night, Jordan was wearing Heidi's old red bustier top with black boobie eyelashes sticking up over it.

Heidi used that disturbing little fashion hallucination at least twice in S2, always during the intro part of the shows. I thought the top belonged to Heidi and would never see the light of a National stage again. Tragically, I was wrong. IT LIVES, and was fluttering at me from above a new set of hapless breasts. Oh my.

Edited by WelcomeStranger, Jun 27, 2011 @ 6:49 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

You know the Show is losing audience interest when threads like this don't get used for almost the entire season. There've been some comments on costuming in the episode threads but not enough interest to post in the costume thread - which I found languishing back on Page 6.

Anyway, while looking at the "still rolling" segment for the end of Top 6, I found there still are costuming behind-the-scenes clips as well. In this one Soyon describes some of the choices and designs for the duets and the group dance (Top 6).

Listen for how she pronounces Tyce's last name. I heard it as de-eerie-o, which fits for me as I thought he's been looking spookily eerie recently.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Costume observations:

My biggest problem with the costumes on the show is that they tend to feature one dancer and obscure the other one or to costume dancers in a way that makes it impossible to move in unison. It's especially obvious with the more "artistic" lighting used this season, but I can point out instances that go way back.

Season 2: Travis and Martha hip hop. Travis--polo shirt, cargo shorts, heavy boots. Martha--Daisy Dukes, skimpy top, very high heels. It had the effect of visually lowering his center of gravity and physically raising hers to about six inches higher. Even though their synchronization was good, their styles looked different.

Season 5: Evan and Kayla jive. Evan--white shirt, black pants. Kayla--turquoise tutu & midriff top with cowboy boots and lots of blonde hair. She's taller than he is and dancing in front of him much of the time. The judges blame him for getting lost.

This season: Nick & Amber Argentine Tango: Amber--black & red slinky dress slit up to THERE! Nick--black frock coat that not only didn't fit properly but obscured his lines. Who tangos in a frock coat? Tails, maybe, since they leave the leg lines free, but a frock coat, no.

This season: Amelia & Will jazz: the opposite problem. coordinating black & white outfits. Problem? Will ( who's a really big guy) in white and Amelia (who's much smaller) in black. The balance was way off. Will in black & Amelia in white would have worked much better.

This season: Much of what Cyrus has worn: Usually black on the bottom, so as not to draw attention to his lack of footwork. Probably an advantage for him.

Anyway, examples abound.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 2:45 AM

I'm wondering if there is a new "poufed hair" fad for men because the show took Alan and Tucker, who had very distinctive - if distracting- hair and gave them both a 50's style pouf.  Alan had his hair pulled back in that severe half ponytail favoured by non-TV ballroom dancers.  That ponytail seems to hang on in the ballroom world.  Dancers who have transitioned to TV shows have taken a while to get rid of it.  On DWTS there was Louis Van Amstel & Maksim Chmerkovskiy (and his brother I believe) and from the 1st season of SYTYCD Australia the top 6 ballroom dancer - Henry Byalikov- started out with it and "transformed" a few episodes in.  Alan sporting it tells me it must still be in vogue somewhere. 

Anyway, Alan's makeover resulted in a gargantuan "Pouf" and Tucker, who had a mop of curls, appears to have had them straightened and then given a "Pouf" too (at least on this recent episode).  I'm starting to fear there is a pouf rising in Paul's hair as well. 

I'd like the hairdressers to know that this isn't an improvement.  Is their hair really that hard to work with?

And to whomever in the episode thread pointed out that the lipstick they put on Malece looked like a gash in her face - I agree.  I didn't notice it so much when she was dancing, but after, it was kind of eerie - not in a good way.

Ona

Ona

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

An observation...Having seen both the Jasmine M / Alan "Veins" routine and the Canadian version, I think Jasmine M really got shafted by costuming. Her gauzy dress kept getting caught on everything and was very distracting! In the Canadian version, it is a smoother fabric cut a bit shorter which allows it to stay out of the way during the performance.

Just noted to emphasize the importance of well-designed costumes...

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

I especially noticed when it got caught in her hair or crown and she had to pull it off. As a dancer, it's so frustrating to have even a mild costume malfunction like that.

sparklebunny27

sparklebunny27

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

Why does everyone have lipstick on their teeth this season? Are they using a new lipstick that runs everywhere?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 1:49 AM

Maybe they have a new makeup artist who isn't having the girls blot their lipstick before going onstage? I particularly noticed it on one of the girls last night but I can't remember who it was. I bet afterward, she was just like me after I see a picture of myself with lipstick on my teeth: "Argggh, why didn't someone tell me?!"

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

Totally noticed the lipstick thing, too. It seems to be happening more and more! I noticed it toward the end of last season with Eliana as well. Every time I think "omg, they're going to go backstage and look in a mirror and be mortified."

IdleBrook

IdleBrook

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

I've noticed that during the contemporary numbers they are using longer skirts over leotards, rather than the nighties and shorts combination that has been common throughout the seasons.  With all of these noticeable changes, I wonder if there is someone new running the costume department. 

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Costumers, please, PLEASE stop with the hammer pants!  You know, the low-crotch pants and tights that the dancers seem to be sporting in every other number!  I can't imagine that Nigel and/or producers have a lot of say in the costuming, because both he and Mary said something last week about how horrible they are.  It must be so hard to dance in them; I'm sure it limits the dancer's range of motion.

Other than that, i've loved the costuming in the group numbers a lot, especially the "jumping into the volcano' group dance from two weeks ago.  Just gorgeous.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

I'm putting this comment here because it is not really fair to Witney to talk about it in the episode thread.  However, her costume distracted me so much that I hated everything she did and could barely watch Paul. 

Her costume looked very DWTS - in particular the style favoured by Karina Smirnoff.  Cut outs over the hips and the whole thing held together by a sparkly belt.  Karina carries this off because she is skinny like a stick (with some curves).  Witney is built differently and for me the outfit made her look wide (and I don't have wide screen TV).  She cannot carry that look off with out looking sleazy.  I ended up spending the dance wondering if she asked for that style of costume instead of watching it.  Ugh. 

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

It was a poor choice to put Paul in that outfit color when he is the competing contestant.

Also, I can't decide if Makenzie's dress/hair was glorious or if it covered her up too much.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Cut outs over the hips and the whole thing held together by a sparkly belt.  Karina carries this off because she is skinny like a stick (with some curves).  Witney is built differently and for me the outfit made her look wide (and I don't have wide screen TV).

yep - those cuts outs don't do many figures many favors

and could barely watch Paul

you should go back and watch! ;)

It was a poor choice to put Paul in that outfit color when he is the competing contestant.

yes....yes it was. makes me angry just thinking about it.

Edited by geeweeze, Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:57 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

Hee!  It seems Makenzies shoe colour was a last minute decision because the dye was still wet.  I notice a big red streak on the floor after she did the heel slide (supported by Jakob of course, I don't know what else to call that move).

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

I had a problem with Jasmine and Marco's costumes.  Both black suits with spats, but the differences in the two really emphasized any lack of unison or matching of lines.  Jasmine's jacket ended at waist level, and her pants were slightly high-water, which emphasized the length of her legs and raised her visual center of gravity.  Her jacket also seemed to have a lot of padding in the shoulders, which made her neck disappear. Marco, by comparison, wore a jacket and pants that were pretty standard suit proportions, and if anything made his legs look shorter.  The costumers need to look at the dancers side by side and consult with the choreographers about the effect they're trying to create and dress the dancers accordingly.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

You know your favourite show is losing it's mojo when there the clips that used to be posted as a matter of course on this forum still exist, but no-one bothers to bring them to share. 

I'm not gonna try to replace all the people who used to do this, but thought I'd bring this Behind the Look snippet for Ivan's routine for the Top 20.  Apparently it was based, loosely, on the Gatsby era - '20s & '30s. I somehow missed hearing that it was Ivan who choreographed that routine until I read it here. Now it feels like it's time to catch up.