• Please log in to reply

7210 replies to this topic

AndYourPointIs

AndYourPointIs

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:24 AM

Airing Wednesdays 10/9pm on NBC

From the Official Website:

Meet Detective Charlie Crews. Behind him sit tough years of hard prison time for a crime he didnít commit. Ahead of him lie the challenges of a world thatís moved on without him. Now itís time to walk through the painful cobwebs of his past and re-enter the scorn-filled halls of a job he loves.

Itís no easy task, especially when his reluctant new partner is as jaded as Dani Reese. Charlieís appreciation for lifeís details not only offers up unique insights into each crime, it reminds us of all the little things we take for granted.

Cast

Damian Lewis
Charlie Crews

Sarah Shahi
Dani Reese

Adam Arkin
Ted Early

Melissa Sagemiller
Constance Griffiths

Robin Weigert
Lt. Karen Davis

Damian Lewis! Alan Arkin! Robin Weigert! I hope it's good. The previews look promising and even funny, though the description doesn't seem to indicate so, and the actors are great (I'm for sure tuning in because I love me some Damian "Ginger Ninja" Lewis).

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 11:06 AM

I guess this is filling the void of quirky police detective shows on NBC that was left when NBC cancelled Raines.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:04 PM

I hate the name of the show but I thought that the preview looked really good.

twohawks17

twohawks17

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 10:16 AM

I'm looking forward to this one! Loved the preview.

I must say, I can accept Damian Lewis with an Ameican accent, because I first saw him on BoB and he did a great job. But.. watching an interview about Life when he stayed in the accent throughout was kind of strange!

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 12:02 AM

Could the name of this show be any more derivative?

Ethan815

Ethan815

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 10:00 AM

This show doesn't look very good in my view, and I've heard test audiences were bored by it, and this will most likely be NBC's first show to tank - if not the first show to tank of the 2007-2008 television season.

Ancient Nick

Ancient Nick

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 5:59 AM

This show doesn't look very good in my view, and I've heard test audiences were bored by it, and this will most likely be NBC's first show to tank - if not the first show to tank of the 2007-2008 television season.

Most of the reviews I read online from tv critics seemed to agree about it being the first show cancelled. I'll still watch it though as the preview clips interested me.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 12:01 PM

I love Damian Lewis so I really hoped this would be something I'd enjoy. The premise even sounded interesting but then I saw the preview clips. None of it was working for me.

Sumik

Sumik

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

A friend on another forum said she saw Claudia Black in a promo for this show and when I googled "Claudia Black NBC Life" I came up with this page from yahoo tv - but I can find no other thing that connects Claudia Black to Life. Is Yahoo's tv website usually accurate?

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2007 @ 10:43 AM

I am looking forward to that one. Mostly because it is one that features Damian Lewis, part of the Brit Invasion which began for me with Matthew Rhys in Brothers & Sisters last year. If we could get Rupert Penry-Jones or Toby Stephens to do American television, now that would be something else.

I had a day to think about it. And apart from the Damian Lewis's US fan base due to Band of Brothers and Masterpiece's The Forsyte Saga. I don't think the series stands a chance. The plot line is dangerously close to Steven Bochco's 2005 series called Blind Justice. It was about a cop who got injured on the line of duty and lost his sight, returning back to work, and surprising his colleagues with his unconventional method due to newly found point of view. And he also got paired up with a smart ass brunette. But the most interesting part of the series, apart from his sightseeing dog, was the relationship with his wife.

Edited by Lived In Inch, Jul 6, 2007 @ 10:44 AM.

seurat

seurat

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 13, 2007 @ 4:35 PM

I've been able to watch an advance dvd of the pilot of this show, as well as half a dozen or so others, and it was easily the class of the bunch. That opinion was shared by both of the other people who were watching the pilots with me. The writing is excellent, quirky and funny and the cast is excellent. That doesn't mean it has any chance of success of course, but I'd recommend givng it a try.

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2007 @ 10:34 AM

I'll watch, and my love for Damian Lewis will guarantee that I will stick with it. I can't wait for it.

Edited by TarHeelTeacher, Jul 14, 2007 @ 10:35 AM.

Crossbree

Crossbree

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

I'll watch for Sarah Shahi. She's a gorgeous, great girl and I really hope this show turns out to be a success.

Tory

Tory

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2007 @ 8:58 PM

Even if the show is crap, I'll watch it because of my Damian Lewis love. He could make hearing the phone book read a mesmerizing experience.

I must say, I can accept Damian Lewis with an Ameican accent, because I first saw him on BoB and he did a great job. But.. watching an interview about Life when he stayed in the accent throughout was kind of strange!

Hee, I agree, twohawks17. For those who haven't seen it, this may be the interview you were referring to. I just came across it.

http://www.movieweb..../V07G0deflqrBCY

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 12:45 PM

This was announced a few weeks ago, but Brooke Langton is replacing Melissa Sagemiller on the show. I'm assuming it either has something to do with the show wanting to go in another direction with the lawyer character or MS getting a gig on Steven Bochco's new show for TNT.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

I have to say I didn't have any interest in this show. The extended preview I saw didn't hook me at all.

But the short commercials that NBC has been airing have encouraged me to give the show a shot. Most of that, I will admit, comes down to Damian Lewis. He doesn't say much in the commercial but his presence is quite profound IMO.

I've never seen him in anything else but I'll give him a try in this.

Athena21

Athena21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2007 @ 4:48 PM

I absolutely fell for Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers and look forward to seeing this show. I tend to get hooked on shows if I know atleast one actor in it. Can't wait.

sorority

sorority

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 8:31 AM

I watched the pilot and really liked it. Of all the pilots of this year's season this might possibly even be my favorite. I loved the main character and his partner and the overall story. The pilot moved very slow though and I agree with the critics that the show will have some problems finding an audience. Throughout watching I couldn't help thinking that Life could be this year's Raines.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 10:36 AM

Throughout watching I couldn't help thinking that Life could be this year's Raines.

Yea! and Oh no! I loved Raines. But that show got really shiity treatment. Its odds of survival weren't great becaus A) It premiered in March and B) it aired on Friday (I will leave the rest of the complaining for the Raines thread). Now I really want to watch the pilot. One thing in this show's favor is that it is on Wednesday ngiht. Depending on when Lost airs, this show might actually have a shot of not being cancelled. I am cautiously optimistic.

Doobry

Doobry

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 9:43 AM

Really enjoyed this! Looking forward to a good season, as long as some chimpbrained network exec doesn't cancel it..

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 6:07 PM

I just saw the pilot episode of Life on the NBC Fall Preview DVD available through Blockbuster Online. I hate to say this but I found almost everything about the show disappointing-the writing was meh, plot was meh, and with the exception of Sarah Shahi's performance the acting was mediocre, too. This is definitely not Damian Lewis' best work- he seems to have lost some of the intensity and hotness that he brought to Band of Brothers and The Forsyte Saga. Then again, it is only the pilot. The show could improve as the season progresses, so I'll probably end up watching a few more episodes before I make a final decision.
On another note, it was kind of fun watching Damian Lewis act again with Michael Cudlitz, in an entirely different scenario then BoB.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

I just watched the pilot and have to say I am a little disappointed, but pilots often suck in comparison to ow a show turns out so there is hope. The concept is has great promise and and I like Damien Lewis hopefully they will tweak the character a little make him less strange, he was awesome in Band of Brothers so with good writing I know he could do better. I do like his partner and Adam Arkin and some of the other characters show promise so hopefully the writing improve because nut as it is it's still better than many of the new shows but nothing spectacular.

Out of all of the pilots I have seen so far I would say Chuck is the best, followed by Reaper and this maybe third best but I haven't watched Bionic Woman yet or Pushing Daisies, Cane wasn't that good despite it's cast and Cavemen was the worst show in the history of shows. I hope Life gets a chance because I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

Edited by fifty8th, Sep 7, 2007 @ 12:02 AM.

SnippyScholar

SnippyScholar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

I have loved Adam Arkin since before he played the inimitable Adam in Northern Exposure (and his father since I saw Freebie and the Bean). So with him and Damien, this is a must see for me.

You all have me worried with the cancellation talk. I loved Raines and was so disappointed that it was dropped.

AlwaysConfused

AlwaysConfused

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 6:11 PM

Just watched the pilot and it was way better then I expected. I really like Reese and her exchanges with Crews. Damian Lewis is good, it's got Robin Weigert and I'm curious about what really happened to Crews.
Confusion: If I understand IMDb correctly, Claudia Black will be replacing Jennifer Siebel as Crews' ex-wife Jennifer Conover? Cause that would be awesome.
I'll watch.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 6:18 PM

I think it's the other way around, Claudia was supposed to do it and now the other lady will instead. Claudia seems to be knocked up (congrats Ms. Black) again so that may be why.

AlwaysConfused

AlwaysConfused

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 8:05 PM

Shame. I love Claudia.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by AlwaysConfused, Sep 7, 2007 @ 8:05 PM.

twohawks17

twohawks17

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

I'd rather have a show have a so-so pilot, and get better and better as the season goes along. There are so many shows that are decent, but pale in comparison to a superb pilot. What I don't like is (professional) critics not liking Life's pilot, and telling their readers that the show isn't worth watching. (Insert usual grumbles about networks not giving shows a chance, here.)

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 2:29 PM

The fact that it is no NBC gives it a little break, they at least, under last leadership, gave quality shows like Friday Night Lights and 30 Rock a long leash because they were critical darlings, so far I haven't read anything bad about this show they are all so-so. I think if they tone so of Crews quirkiness down and get some quality writing I think it has a chance I like a the characters the show just has to find it's stride.

Captain Black

Captain Black

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2007 @ 2:09 PM

I was quite impressed by this.

Crews is a terrific character and it's clear that Lewis is thoroughly enjoying the role. The supporting cast are also strong.

They did a particularly good job shifting the tone without jarring. There's humour and some lightness here (typified by Crews' sheer joy at being free) yet there's also a very dark tone just under the surface in addition to the A-plot. Indeed, I liked how economically they managed to add so much backstory while still concentrating on the A-plot.

A few issues (I'd agree that Crews' mannerisms and tics need to be toned down a touch so they don't overwhelm) but a wealth of potential and is certainly among the best network pilots so far this year.

Edited by Captain Black, Sep 10, 2007 @ 2:09 PM.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 1:55 PM

For those of you with Comcast OnDemand, the pilots for Chuck, Life, Bionic Woman, and Journeyman have been put up. Here's how I found them:

OnDemand --> Network Shows --> NBC Fall Preview