Cat Deeley: The English Rose

• Please log in to reply

626 replies to this topic

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 6:27 PM

She of the fab dresses, posh accent, and bubbly personality. Discuss the host of So You Think You Can Dance here.

abd zelda

abd zelda

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 8:38 PM

I wonder whether she will continue the animal theme in her dress choices this year, or switch to something new?

ajay

ajay

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

I had totally forgotten the trauma of the animal theme dresses. BWAH!

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 9:58 PM

I preferred he so much over Lauren Sanchez, her style? I don't care, just glad that Cat and her lovely personality are back for S3.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 1:40 AM

In American reality TV, there are only two hosts who deliver, night in and not out: Tom Bergeron ... and Cat Deeley. Is it a coincidence the show became a hit after she came on?

Arienne

Arienne

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

I absolutely adore Cat Deely! Can't wait to see her this season. There is a subtopic titled something about the judges and I think it would have been proper to have called it "The Jidges".

Shenanigan

Shenanigan

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

In American reality TV, there are only two hosts who deliver, night in and not out: Tom Bergeron ... and Cat Deeley.

Totally agree. I love Cat. I love how she genuinely seems to care about the contestants.

MyShare120

MyShare120

Just Tuned In

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 4:59 PM

Cat's accent is so annoying ~ yeah, yeah she's all sweet and cute and blah blah blah, but her accent is SO cockney that it grates on one's nerves to the point that concentration becomes difficult. Tom Bergeron needs to emcee everything!! He's just great.

culturequeen

culturequeen

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 6:19 PM

I think the reason that Cat makes SUCH a good hostess in my opinion is that she is there from Day 1, cheering everyone on (in the vein of Ryan Seacrest, but without the divalicious attitude). Remember Cat out in the FREEZING cold in Chicago (?) at the auditions? You'd never get Ryan out there doing that.

And Tom Bergeron drives me crazy with his never-ending one-liners. If I wanted those, I would watch AHV.

EmpressI

EmpressI

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

I love her! She is one host that I never get mad at or roll my eyes in annoyance (Seacrest Im lookin at u!)

I can't wait for top 20 to start and we get to see her all dolled up..Her outfits are um interesting to say the least.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

Although I like Cat here, I watched her do the interviews for the UK telecast of AI, and I adore her -- especially when she so flirts with the male contestants (like ChrisR and especially Blake). She keeps touching way too much...kinda reminds me of Seacrest, and with the same two contestants.

Edited by hypertwink, May 24, 2007 @ 9:15 PM.

culturequeen

culturequeen

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

My sister was in Ireland for the semester, and said she saw Cat on TV all the time. She fell in love with her as much as I did. SO glad to see her back in the auditions, trying to make everyone feel good.

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:22 PM

I love Cat! Did anyone see her on Big Fat Quiz of the Year last year? She and Jonathan Ross were "the Conventionally Attractive team."

Plus, since a full half of our SYTYCD drinking game is based around her, if she weren't around, I'd be sober!

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Please share your SYTYCD drinking game, eirefaerie...

boozilu

boozilu

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:47 PM

Is it wrong that I was thrilled the first time I heard Cat say "the jidges" tonight? I don't quite have a girl-crush on her yet, but as the season progresses I could add her to my current list -- Heidi Klum and Ivanka Trump.

alvin etler

alvin etler

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

She is so good with the contestants. Even with Sex, she just was totally classy. I love that she seems to really want them to do well. I don't feel like we ever saw a genuine attachment with the contestants from Lauren Sanchez in S1.

LilDancinMachine

LilDancinMachine

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 11:39 PM

CAT! I've missed you so! Me and my friend were talking about trying out for this season and one of our main reasons was so we could meet Cat and she would our new best friend.

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:49 AM

Love Cat. Unlike Ryan Seacrest, Jeff Probst, and too many other hosts to mention, she doesn't think she's better than everyone around her. She knows the show isn't about her. She treats everyone with respect, and dos her best to make people feel at ease. One small scene in this episode I'd never see on any other show was when she went into the room where they had to wait until they could go to the choreography round. She casually said the room stunk, and some of the people laughed in agreement and relief even she, the host, would say this. Small moments like that help make everyone feel better about what they're going through.

motabrody

motabrody

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:16 AM

There isn't a media thread yet, and since this is mostly about Cat, I thought I'd put it here. TV Guide article. (If the article was linked in the old thread, sorry!)

TVGuide.com: ...What are you going to do to top last year's wardrobe?
Deeley: A-ha! Put it this way: I have a black skirt that's entirely made of feathers. It's kind of wild.

Hmmm. At least she openly admits that the show is about popularity rather than talent, unlike Simon and AI.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 6:11 AM

motabrody said:

Hmmm. At least she openly admits that the show is about popularity rather than talent, unlike Simon and AI.

From reading the article linked above, here are a few things that Cat has to say about it *being* about having talent AND personality:

I think people really understand the show now, they understand the concept, they understand the level of talent that's required, and they understand that the tricks have got to be more spectacular, even more outlandish. The characters have got to be even bigger and quicker to come to the surface. I think people now understand that there's no point in finally showing your personality Week 4; it has to be out there and people have to see it warts and all.

Basically because I can see just how talented they are and just how much effort goes into it, and I'm not a dancer myself, so to me, whatever they do is spectacular, whereas a choreographer might go to them and say, "Well, your lines weren't quite even and... " blah-blah-blah.

There are more breakers this year. They've learned that you have to do different styles, so you have to go take a class in ballroom or contemporary. Just a class, so they can get through the choreography. If you haven't had that technical training, it's very difficult to get through that 15-minute dance class and be able to perform the routine at the end.

That "x" factor, or charisma or whatever that thing is, you can tell it just from them walking on the stage. And you cross your fingers and go, "God, I hope you can dance brilliantly, too." It's like last year, Travis [Wall] and Benji [Schwimmer] were our final two, and Travis was an amazing dancer and had a great personality, and Benji was a great dancer but had an amazing personality. It was the personality that won at the end of the day.

It is "America's Favorite Dancer," not the best dancer, not the best technical performer.

But none of that implies (to me anyway) that it is not about talent.

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 8:36 AM

But none of that implies (to me anyway) that it is not about talent.

Exactly, she gets it, it's clearly about both talent and personality in whatever mix compels the audience to vote till their fingers bleed.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 10:32 AM

I too was thrilled when I first heard "jidges" tonight! YAY SYTYCD is back!

I agree that Cat is an incredible host. However, I just don't understand how she can be so great here but so annoying in those stupid Orbitz commericals that i want to throw something at the screen. And it's not just the stupid commercials, it's her voice. Maybe she talks slightly differently? I love her voice on this show.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

She voice-overs Orbitz commercials?

eirefaerie

eirefaerie

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:20 PM

Please share your SYTYCD drinking game, eirefaerie...

Well, it changes based on who's choreographing/"jidging" for the week, but the Cat-centric ones are:

1 shot for everytime Cat shows up in a ridiculous outfit

1 beer/wine everytime Cat's hair looks like the stylist suffers from a particularly nasty crack addiction

1 sip everytime she says "jidges," and

1 shot everytime she towers over a male contestant (can you imagine?! With Travis in the top two!)

Then there are the standards - drink everytime Mary screams, Mia cries, Mia mentions the Earth, 1 shot anytime Dan Karity actually expresses genuine interest or excitement, 1 shot anytime Dan or Tyce criticize the other's choreography . . .

That's not Cat voicing the Orbitz commercials, I think. It doesn't sound like her voice at all.

Edited by eirefaerie, May 25, 2007 @ 12:20 PM.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Holy smokes, eirefaerie, it's amazing that you're still typing. :)

I've toyed with the idea of a SYTYCD drinking game for a long time now so this gives me an idea of where to start. I'm a total lightweight, though, so I think I'd have to have different rules...

Thanks for sharing!

Hyper Critical

Hyper Critical

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:54 PM

eirefaerie - I want to play now, too bad I can't because the minors in the house don't need to be influenced like that! Thank you for sharing.

empty2

empty2

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 2:00 PM

I was hoping they would replace her this season, but at least I'll have something to grouse about until they knock out my favorite dancer(s). I swear, when it comes to these dancing reality shows, the one I want to win never does.

PaintGirl

PaintGirl

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

I didn't realize how much I adored Cat until I watched Grease and that Denise chic. She made me miss Cat. So happy she's back.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

That's not Cat voicing the Orbitz commercials, I think. It doesn't sound like her voice at all.

I actually meant Orbit gum- someone told me it was her- and it certainly looks and sounds like her. Is it not her? Cause then I can continue to hate that woman.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

I'm pretty sure the Orbitz chick is not Cat Deeley. So hate on!

It's not just that Cat gets out there with the contestants, but that she actually isn't afraid to make a fool of herself, joining in the impromptu dance sessions and whatnot. Every single time, it catches me by surprise. She frickin' rules.