National Bingo Night: Bringing the Church Basement Home

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

From abc.com:

For the first time in network television, millions of viewers can play at home for a chance to win thousands of prizes with ABC's newest alternative series, National Bingo Night, premiering FRIDAY, MAY 18 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET). ABC Television Network has partnered with Kmart and several other companies to provide prizes awarded to winning contestants, studio audience members and at-home viewers in this game of luck based on the popular American pastime.
In each episode, three high action Bingo games are played in-studio, with the viewing public invited to play along for a chance to win. In each game a contestant will try his/her luck, racing against the studio audience as balls numbered from 1-75 are randomly selected from a giant sphere set in a high tech "Bingo Plex" arena. The studio audience will track the numbers on their own Bingo cards for a chance to win big and send the contestant home empty-handed.

The networks aren't even trying anymore, are they?

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

Jesus. The production values on this show - ESPECIALLY all the smash cuts, the blatant advertising, dubbed-in voice-overs, and the obvious edits - is really making an already silly-sounding premise even more ridiculous.

But I had to feel for that poor first contestant. He technically had the $50,000 (and the diamond earrings) won, and the damn number 67 gave someone else a Bingo, so he goes home with nothing! Sucks to be him.

You know - congrats to that third woman for winning, but I can't believe she actually wore a fanny pack on national television.

I thought nothing could top "Show Me The Money", but this is WELL on its way.

WinkyDink2

WinkyDink2

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

I admit it; I played along. Lost, too!

I think the "all or nothing" arrangement is off-putting. IMHO, all players should get some money. The $50,000 could have been reduced to make the consolation total.

The Brit is already on my nerves.

Edited by WinkyDink2, May 30, 2007 @ 2:44 AM.

bondfool

bondfool

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

I feel a little raped. I want everyone involved with that show in any way to be chemically sterilized. Especially that host!

Taina

Taina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:48 PM

What an awful show! No wonder it is buried in "no one watches tv" night. The first contestant going home empty handed was so unfair. If you make it to 500 and someone have a bingo at the same time, the least they should do is split the money amongst the winners. But, what do I care? Next week I won't be sick in bed and won't bother with this garbage :-).

mschrist

mschrist

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

I liked the show. I am confident enough in my taste in television to admit this. It was exciting, and I had fun playing along. The games were clever, the contestants were manic, and the gung-ho British host was engaging.

Did you notice that the British host had trouble saying "fanny pack" with the third contestant? He substituted "belly bag" at one point. He's got a distinctly working-class accent that drops consonants.

The first contestant definitely got robbed--the guy should have won when he hit 500.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

I am three years old, but my mom and I kept saying "Nooooo Bingoooooooo!" to each other a good five minutes after this show ended.

This reminds me of "Show Me the Money." There were so many bad things about Shat's show (hell, including Shat) that people forget that there were some good things--the questions were smart, the gameplay was reasonably fair. This show has a lot of obviously bad things, but the contestant vs. audience dynamic is a juicy one that I'm sure could be worked out in a more entertaining fashion.

NikkiH

NikkiH

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 12:38 AM

Did you notice that the British host had trouble saying "fanny pack" with the third contestant? He substituted "belly bag" at one point. He's got a distinctly working-class accent that drops consonants.

I think he may have not wanted to say "fanny pack" because fanny in British slang means a woman's private parts.

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 1:02 AM

I was drawn to this show because I thought the cheese levels would be astronomical. I mean, there's a referee! For Bingo! And there's a giant ass sphere thing! And it's hosted by the dude who does extreme home makeovers! And for the most part, it didn't disappoint. I thought it was fun, nothing more, but it's more enjoyable than merely guessing which suitcase contains a million dollars.

I think he may have not wanted to say "fanny pack" because fanny in British slang means a woman's private parts.

I wonder what he was thinking when she ordered him to touch her fanny pack and then during the many times she was stroking her fanny pack for good luck.

TVGuy88

TVGuy88

Couch Potato

• Interests:Besides television.... Weather, World Events, Politics, the Internet, Aviation, Earthquakes

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 3:08 AM

Worst show ever. I made it through the first half-hour and then had had enough(I was sick of the host within 2 minutes and the cheesy cheap crap by the 1st commericial). BLAH.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

I didn't hate it and I might play along next time. As a certified Couch Potato (I am! It says so right underneath my name) I've got nothing better to do on a Friday night. It sure was better than Dr. Phil. LOL

hapless

hapless

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 10:13 AM

After the first game I turned it off. This is the USA and ABC has to get a Brit accented emcee. Aren't there any American emcee hosts available? Enough with the imports for hosting jobs!

In regular bingo, tie games have the pot split, just like in the Lottery. The contestant should have gotten the same as the audience Bingo guy instead of nothing. Why bother to go on the show when you'll get nothing? At least on Deal or No Deal you get the offer or the contents of your case, even if it's $1 and no one in the audience can steal your prize.

I hope this show gets canned after one episode!

MMorningstar

MMorningstar

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 10:45 AM

This is the USA and ABC has to get a Brit accented emcee.

That's because to middle America, having a host with a British accent will "class" up something as lower-class as Bingo. And middle America won't perceive that the guy has a lower-class accent, because we think all British accents sound classy.

I liked the ball girl's arched eyebrow. That was classy to me!

El Robzter

El Robzter

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 11:14 AM

Why does it bother me so much that the host keeps yelling "Pull the trigger!!!" when they are actually pushing a button with their thumb?

SofaKing Watt

SofaKing Watt

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

This show was cheesy as hell, but it was something my 8 year old and I could do for fun that doesn't involve spending buttloads of money. We went to kmart today to get her some cheap summer clothes and they were unusually crowded. We were joking that everyone was spending their $5 Kmart gift cards.

mschrist

mschrist

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

This is the USA and ABC has to get a Brit accented emcee.

That's because to middle America, having a host with a British accent will "class" up something as lower-class as Bingo. And middle America won't perceive that the guy has a lower-class accent, because we think all British accents sound classy.

Could be, although the show doesn't seem to have classy aspirations and Americans--"middle" or not--can often sense if a British accent is upper- or lower-class; I don't think people think of Ringo Starr as classy, for example. I think it's that the gung-ho enthusiasm a host of this sort of show needs is somehow a little less grating when masked behind a British accent. Some English soccer commentators are just as syrupy (treacly?) as Brent Musberger, for example, but are somehow much more tolerable.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

My first reaction: "Hahahaha. National Bingo Night. Hahahahahaha."
My second reaction: "You know, now I'm curious. Just what the hell makes ABC think this could possibly work?"
My third reaction: "Okay, ABC, you've got one hour to convince me."
My fourth reaction: "Yes. I'm watching televised bingo and enjoying myself. Shut up. I SAID SHUT THE HELL UP."

That said, there was a classic brain malfunction. The first guy might not have had to be in that situation he was in had he not thought earlier "Well, I need a high number, so I'll say the next number will be higher!" You know, as if you have any control as to what number comes out of there. You get whatever number they give you. Would you rather get 32 miles or not get 70 miles?

mrschimpf

mrschimpf

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

Why does it bother me so much that the host keeps yelling "Pull the trigger!!!" when they are actually pushing a button with their thumb?

Especially when the button is just a prop connected to nothing at all? Usually, a button should do something, or at least be connected to a wire to give us the illusion that the contestant is actually doing something.

I lasted ten minutes...I felt like I was watching an infomercial for KMart combined with a huge McDonalds Playplace.

Ivang

Ivang

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

"Pull the trigger" because they have to come up with something unique, like "Final answer," or "open the case."

I agree it's pretty stupid but it was amazing to watch the woman guess the color right 6 times in a row. Extremely unlikely.

Videophile

Videophile

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 10:45 AM

I noticed the following disclaimer during the closing credits:

"Some bingo numbers drawn during the in-studio taping of the show that did not affect the outcome of the in-studio competition may be edited out of the broadcast of a show episode."

This is blatantly unfair to at-home players. What if they edit out a number which would give someone a bingo? I guess this is one way to cut down on the number of prizes they have to pay out.

NJMark

NJMark

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

What if they edit out a number which would give someone a bingo? I guess this is one way to cut down on the number of prizes they have to pay out.

For every edited number that would have given someone a win, the next number would give someone else a win. The net number of prizes probably doesn't change.

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 1:34 PM

I was drawn to this show because I thought the cheese levels would be astronomical. I mean, there's a referee! For Bingo!

Just to be clear, that was not a referee. He's the Bingo Commissioner!

I'm embarrassed to say that not only did I watch, I printed out my (losing) bingo cards to play along. I thought the pace was too slow, along with all the production issues mentioned below.

However, like the above 3-year old poster, the Indian accented NO BINGO, PLAY ON! has been incessantly used at my house.

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 2:15 PM

Just to be clear, that was not a referee. He's the Bingo Commissioner!

Thanks. I only caught the last half of the show when it originally aired and was confused why there was someone dressed like he just came straight from Foot Locker.

I finally got to watching the first half on ABC's website and they make that distinction pretty clear right from the beginning, don't they? Gah, I'm an idiot.

AManfred

AManfred

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

I'll admit it: I'm excited to play along tonight. Since I'm pregnant, I can't spend my Friday nights the way I used to (alcohol!).

I am on a reality show Yahoo! groups list, and someone on the list won... of course it was only a $5 gift card to KMart, but it's better than nothing!

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:09 PM

I forgot to print the cards out at work again! Maybe I'll make the investment in some new toner for the ole printer before tonight. I was really looking forward to playing along

ButterflyRei

ButterflyRei

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

I got BINGO!!! Yay! On the last game!! And I am way too excited about it!

Anyway, I found the first two contestants to be really annoying. I was going STFU and get the game moving!!

Edited by ButterflyRei, May 25, 2007 @ 9:06 PM.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

"Yay, it's odd!"

"It's O-74, dude."

AAAAGH.

MMorningstar

MMorningstar

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Second episode and they already replaced the female sidekick?

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

Second episode and they already replaced the female sidekick?

I recognized this one from "Show me the Money" Maybe they are cycling through the dancing girls from that show on a weekly basis.

Well I did replace my toner cartridge and got to play tonight. Didn't win anything but I still had fun.

Yes I have no life.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 2:51 AM

I saw a clip of this on "The Soup" and...wow, was the fanny pack lady for real? It was kind of gross, the way she touched her fanny pack.