Carpoolers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

208 replies to this topic

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2008 @ 10:36 PM

Mother. The police hate you. You're out of options.

You can move on. Get a new son. Smaller.

I can be naked in seven seconds.

Hey, Marm. I'll help you forget that hippie minx. I'd love to smell your Creole Thunder!

Blackie 35

Blackie 35

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

So is this it for this show? It is a shame because I think they were finally hitting their stride with the writing and the cast. The last few episodes have been so funny and the guys seemed to be playing off each other so well. I loved the last episode when Laird is trying to point out the handsome guy, and he is just pawing Greyson's face. And Aubrey, the guy who plays him is just all kinds of hilarious. The Hammer dance was ridiculously good. And when he sang "Come On Eileen"? That was out of the park.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2008 @ 6:52 AM

Maybe with the strike all but killing off pilot season this year, ABC will order more episodes of existing shows like this one -- once the strike is finally settled, that is. Frankly, I wish, and I bet they wish, that they had kept Sons and Daughters around, but Carpoolers is definitely growing on me. I think somebody at ABC really likes Fred Goss.

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2008 @ 5:59 PM

Maybe with the strike all but killing off pilot season this year, ABC will order more episodes of existing shows like this one -- once the strike is finally settled, that is.

I'm still holding out hopes that the will use Carpoolers as a mid-season replacement, but they aren't on ABC's list of returning shows for the 2008-2009 season :(

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2008 @ 7:16 PM

Aw, man, it's Knights of Prosperity all over again. Remind me never to get attatched to a sitcom on ABC that doesn't feature a stand-up comic or fading movie star with precotious kids and a wife twice as hot as he deserves.

Sarmoti

Sarmoti

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

Aw, man, it's Knights of Prosperity

So true, I loved Knights as well! Knights received more critical acclaim than Carpoolers, but both are very funny in my book.

Regarding Laird's clarinet playing, I was really amused that only once was he even holding the clarinet the correct way. At first it bothered me as a mistake, but then I found it made it even funnier because Laird is SO BAD at playing the clarinet that he doesn't even know how to hold it. (The left hand goes on the top keys, the right on the bottom keys; He had his hands switched almost the entire time he was trying to play). Yes, I notice these things. [/band geek]

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 10:44 AM

Aw, man, it's Knights of Prosperity all over again. Remind me never to get attatched to a sitcom on ABC that doesn't feature a stand-up comic or fading movie star with precotious kids and a wife twice as hot as he deserves.

ABC is making me bitter.Knights of Prosperity and Carpoolers would have been great back to back!

Edited by Mrs OldManBalls, Feb 13, 2008 @ 11:08 AM.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2008 @ 7:52 PM

ABC is making me bitter.

Hell, as far as KoP goes, I'm still bitter!

Wu Kong

Wu Kong

Video Archivist

• Interests:The Office, 30 Rock, Heroes, Lost, 24, Arrested Development, Scrubs

Posted Feb 13, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Ditto. I finally caught up with the four unaired episodes -- they were a pain to track down, but totally worth it.

Last night's episode was alright -- I was chuckling as soon as I saw the ramp they were building for Laird though.

goldenbuddah

goldenbuddah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2008 @ 1:44 PM

I swear this is the funniest show on tv. Its the only show where I actually laugh out loud.

When the guy spilled hot coffee on Grayson in the wheelchair and he stood up then fell over.....so funny

Laird flossing in the car and the junk spit into Dougy's mouth

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

I didn't love last night's episode, but there were funny moments. Aubry slamming into the wall and having to be wheeled on a gurney next to Gracen was hilarious though.

Edited by angiebee, Feb 20, 2008 @ 7:44 PM.

Wu Kong

Wu Kong

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 4:35 PM

I kept expecting the big reveal to be that Faith Ford sabotaged her husband's watch so that she could win the race uncontested.

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

Aubry slamming into the wall and having to be wheeled on a gurney next to Greyson was hilarious though.

I was cracking up at that part. One of the lines I loved was after Gracen said that he thought he'd never see his family again and Marmaduke says, "Rest now, father. You're speaking gibberish and it's unsettling to everybody." I don't know why, but that line made me laugh.

I'm really loving this show and it's disappointing that it probably won't continue.

BraviaWatcher

BraviaWatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

This show really seems to be hitting it's stride. I hope ABC gives it another chance in the fall.

I loved the use of music throughout the episode, and so many small, funny jokes. Great to watch on Tivo so I can go back in case I missed something.

"Just don't talk about global warming."

"It's a lie!"

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 9:01 PM

I really liked that Aubrey uses an outdated cellphone and tape recorder. It's little touches like this and Marmaduke's t-shirt during the hospital scene that just makes this show so oddly endearing.

Another moment I liked was when Aubrey was threatening to punch Laird and then pretended like he was checking his watch ("I thought someone was going to stop me").

Edited by Catcher22, Feb 20, 2008 @ 9:02 PM.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Aww, buh bye show! That felt like they knew it would be the last one -- particularly with the bit at the very end, with Marmaduke trotting into the frame in his tighty whities to wave them off to work.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 8:30 PM

I love that Aubrey, who could be a contender in the world's biggest nerd contest, thinks that Dougie is a pathetic loser. Also, it took me until this episode to realize that Laird's lack of furniture in his bachelor pad was a running gag.

Soil Breeze and Embers = brilliant!

Awww, Marmaduke called Gracen "dad" (instead of Father).

Edited by johchi, May 22, 2008 @ 12:23 AM.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 8:56 PM

If I recall correctly, that stuff Gracen said about having spent his 20s just following the Grateful Dead and not really remembering much of it in detail is straight out of Fred Goss's own experience. Funny and true.

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 11:23 PM

I love Marmaduke and I have to say, this Marmaduke-centric one has to be my favorite episode of the series. I was surprised how heartwarming and funny it was. It was like some of the best Simpsons episodes. Man, I'm going to miss this show and just hope by some slim chance ABC renews it for another season.

I cracked up at Aubrey's "Because I had a life before you were here!" and then his son running off crying. I also liked when Laird was teaching Marmaduke how to fly a kite. Gracen: "I taught you how to fly a kite when you were four." Marmaduke: "Yes, but not with any flair. Sparta!"

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2008 @ 11:38 PM

ABC is making me bitter.

Unless there's a KoP DVD one day, I shall be perpetually bitter.

Also, it took me until this episode to realize that Laird's lack of furniture in his bachelor pad was a running gag.

I think it's an offshoot of the gag that he had the Worst Divorce Settlement Ever. Joanniffer got nearly everything including Laird's wedding band. Laird has the house and his ab chair.

lawgiver

lawgiver

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2008 @ 9:25 PM

"There's a really good chicken solo coming up."

I also loved Soil Breeze and Embers. So funny!

It also seemed like Maramaduke actually hit Laird during the boxing.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 8:01 AM

I thought last week's was the last episode, but there's one more tonight. I always get excited when I see it on the schedule because I think, "Oh, Carpoolers is still on!"

Catcher22

Catcher22

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

"It's Ka-Ching Time!"

I'm going to miss Carpoolers. It seems like the show has finally found its groove and already it's over.

I was excited when Dave Foley showed up as Aubrey's boss but I was disappointed that he didn't have much to do. I liked the Aubrey plot line with his daughter. It reminded me a little bit of that Wonder Years episode in which Kevin visited his dad's office and found out that it wasn't as impressive as he imagined.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

"I'm not gonna bother with all of that interweb bull-jive"

FOLEY! I was also glad to see him in all his Col.-Sanders-lookalike glory -- and not drunk-seeming, as he always is on that Bravo poker show.

"I can't help it. You're so smooth . . . like a marshmallow right out of the bag."

"It is not a cult. It's a group of people led by a charismatic leader who tells them what to say and do."

Edited by starchystarch, Mar 4, 2008 @ 10:59 PM.

Wu Kong

Wu Kong

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2008 @ 2:36 PM

So all the KITH alum have made cameos now, right? Scott Thompson was on the hearing board a few weeks ago, and Kevin McDonald was the rival real estate agent a while back.

starchystarch

starchystarch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2008 @ 7:51 PM

I don't recall seeing Mark McKinney, though I guess I missed an episode in there someplace.

trixisforkids

trixisforkids

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

Great show! I think I love Marmaduke the best but Dougie's wife is hitting her stride.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2008 @ 12:46 AM

I was very depressed when I went to watch my tape of this week's show, and saw that According to Jim was on instead. I can't believe that a show like Carpoolers barely gets on the air, but an insipid and derivative show like AtJ keeps finding its way back on the schedule.

ABC and Disney definitely need to take whatever VP is in charge of their comedy department, and find a new position in the company for him. Preferably something in the mail room.

Kimchee Kid

Kimchee Kid

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 14, 2008 @ 11:03 AM

Carpoolers was really finding it's groove. The Marmaduke sheep episode was the best one, though "The Seminar" was up there as well. Two things kiiled this emerging gem: the stupid Writer's Strike, and Cavemen. I really thought this one was going to be around longer.