6-19: "The Second Coming" 2007.05.20 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1036 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 9:01 AM

From Zap2It:

Phil refuses Tony's offer of a compromise; AJ worries about the world and his future; an affront to Meadow angers Tony.

meredithand

meredithand

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

Now there's only two episodes left? I'm really starting to feel this isn't going to get resolved at all.

"I'm your sister, you HAVE to tell me!" No, Meadow, he doesn't. It isn't all about you.

I don't get why Tony would have to apologize for what he did. That's his daughter. She's not in the business, leave her alone.

Speaking of Tony, way to take the hot dog with you as you go outside.

Edited to add my enjoyment of:

Sil reading "How to Clean Practically Anything". He cracks me up.

The "Get a mop." line by the waitstaff.

Edited by meredithand, May 20, 2007 @ 9:17 PM.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

I know the suicide attempt was supposed to be pitiful, but it just reminded me of the story of how LLFP almost drowned in a few inches of water.

Carm giving back jewelry? Now that's serious.

Teawaddle Hill

Teawaddle Hill

Loyal Viewer

Holy shit. I'm a bus. I need to call my kids tonight and talk to them. Thanks, David Chase. I knew you had mother issues, but you brought it home tonight.

PMS Babe

PMS Babe

Couch Potato

Is AJ's interest in the Middle East going to intersect with the possible terrorists his father has turned in? That's what I kept thinking until he attempted to drown himself.

heronswift

heronswift

Channel Surfer

The thing that wrecked me in this episode -- the way that the sound of AJ's heaving, gasping, struggle for breath, on the edge of the pool, echoed Christopher's dying breaths last week.

God, this SHOW. [*am wrecked*]

cloudwatcher

cloudwatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

Tick...tick...tick...tick.........time is running out.

as1504

as1504

Video Archivist

What a cocktease on AJ. Tony would have been 100% within Mafia rules if he had killed that guy because touching civilian family members is one of the gravest offenses one can commit. Phil, for all his old school bullshit, should have killed his guy for doing it.

Poor Tony, his son and his uncle are in institutions.

Carrabuda

Carrabuda

Video Archivist

Well well well. Wow.

More later from when I've digested this. I definitely have to rewatch to get all the juice out of this one.

Just one thing: Dr. Bogdanovich's bit about the con men in therapy. AJ is so clearly falling into that pattern, making excuses, blaming everyone, learning how to guilt and manipulate his family members. Not so much Tony, though, I'd say.

pha1226

pha1226

Video Archivist

So, how many times did Tony say "Poor you"? It's like he understands he's Livia but can't escape it(although I do agree with Carm...the complaining is grating). I really wanted to rope to be shorter.

Edited by pha1226, May 20, 2007 @ 9:04 PM.

Clare

Clare

Couch Potato

Wow, who knew all these years that Robert Iler had it in him. That pool scene was so intense. Poor AJ.

joeyguse

joeyguse

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Wow,
What incredible tension. I was very impressed with Elliot the psychiatrist tonight, who in essence explained how Melfi has been enabling a Sociopath for all of these years, which is in fact the truth. Tony's insights were pretty powerful as well, and all in all this was an incredible powerful episode about how things do in fact "fall apart."

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Holy Fuck! Phil continues to be a huge prick and holds his ground against Tony. That mother fucker does NOT compromise. And with Tony's visit to Coco's, there looks to be more problems to come. I thought that Carmine was gonna get shot from Phil's obscured window.

The tooth in Tone's cuff, lovely. Waiting 2 weeks for the next 2, frustrating.

Edited by Energiya Buran, May 20, 2007 @ 9:04 PM.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

So it's gonna be a bloody Tony vs Phil ending?

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Way to broker a solution over the "alteration," Little Carmine!

Phil is definitely pushing for a war. Why doesn't he just start it himself, the crazy wimp?

Last week, I thought AJ might have a chance to get out of the life. I think I was pretty wrong about that. He'll be lucky to survive the coming war.

shucks

shucks

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:05 PM

was phill a hostage? loved the episode, but it really looked like he was a hostage. I also thought that he could be setting up a drive by while in the house. any ideas

Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

Channel Surfer

Did anyone think AJ was going to die?

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

One of the takeaways for me: the scene with Tony, cradling a sobbing AJ in his lap, saying, “My baby, my baby.” That was pretty moving to me, as well as that final walk in the psych unit. The sins of the father…

As far as the rest of the episode, and how it fits into end of the series, still processing that.

Although, here's a question: how was Tony wrong, given the Mafia 'code' for going after the guy who threatened his daughter?

Canid

Canid

Channel Surfer

Whoa! I am all beside myself. I don't think I've ever been as tense during a tv show. Wow, I'm looking forward to the next showing in a couple of hours.

Two thoughts on two great shots:

* Phil in his castle window
* that tooth in T's cuff!

Wow, etc....

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

Now there's only two episodes left? I'm really starting to feel this isn't going to get resolved at all.

No kidding, unless there is some sort of explosion I'm getting the feeling we are getting a "life goes on" sort of ending. This series does not deserve a "life goes on" type of ending. It has a beginning, a middle, it deserves an end.

pha1226

pha1226

Video Archivist

Why doesn't he just start it himself, the crazy wimp?

So true. What kind of show of power was that, yelling at them from your little tower?

KatrinaD

KatrinaD

Video Archivist

Wow. Just... wow.

High point: Sil reading "How to Clean Practically Anything." Perfect for those stubborn blood-and-gray-matter stains! And the use of "Riding Dirty" gave me a smile.

What the fuck is up with the FBI dude and his "microbe"?

That scene with AJ in the pool - before Tony showed up - was the most painful, disturbing thing I've ever watched. But Tony sitting with AJ at the side of the pool, crying and saying, "You're my baby"? That was even worse.

On the lighter side, it wasn't until Tony showed up that I appreciated the irony of the attempted suicide via cement shoe.

Carmela wants to know if Tony has any idea what it's like to live with someone who's constantly complaining. Yeah, Carm. I'm pretty sure he does.

After Tony's "discussion" with Coco, I do believe that the war has begun. Get a mop, indeed.

Great ep, but I'll need to rewatch before I can put together any genuinely coherent thoughts.

Eric54

Eric54

Loyal Viewer

Mess with a boss's daughter? How drunk do you have to be not to know that you're committing suicide? And I don't think anything is going to get resolved at all. The show will just end - like tonight. And I'm dissapointed that Meadow isn't going to medical school. I thought she was going to be the one to get out from under the family.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

I agree that the scene with T and AJ by the pool was very well done. I was almost in tears hearing Tony say my baby my baby over and over again. AJ in an institution is a fitting end, I wonder if he stays.

What kind of show of power was that, yelling at them from your little tower?

That was a pussy move. When that scene was on I was thinking to myself that a real Don would never hide behind a curtain and yell down insults, especially not one who fancies himself as mean as Phil.

Edited by kinda sketchy, May 20, 2007 @ 9:10 PM.

clancy25

clancy25

Couch Potato

So Meadow is watching Borat and AJ thinks it was unfair to the people involved. Did these two switch personalities?

Funniest line...Carmella's comment about Tony's great-grandfather in Avellino who drove his donkey cart off the cliff!

Kupferberg's scene actually summed up my own feelings about Tony's therapy pretty well.

Wasn't everybody thinking along Tony's wavelength when he said AJ probably just fucked up the suicide he's so stupid.

I never actually noticed it before, but does Butchie have a glass eye? One of them sure had something funny going on...

Muffinista

Muffinista

Video Archivist

I am horrified by the curb-stomping scene. I may need therapy. OMG.

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

I know the suicide attempt was supposed to be pitiful, but it just reminded me of the story of how LLFP almost drowned in a few inches of water.

Who is LLFP?

LoveSupreme

LoveSupreme

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Am I the only one who felt sorry for AJ? I just kept saying out loud (to the TV like a dummy) "AJ please don't do this!" I just could not take another violent death on this show two weeks in a row. I was looking at the TV through my hands at the pistol whip scene. I thought someone else was gonna die. God, this show!

I thought Dr. Melfi's doctor was certainly talking about Tony and less about AJ when it comes to sociopaths using therapy to sharpen their skills. AJ don't know nothing about that. Not yet anyway.

And Meadow. Fun. She hates the whole Mob thing, but when one of those asses is all up in her face she runs to her daddy to "handle it." I betcha tony knocking that guys teeth out is what's gonna get him killed. Then how would she feel about that? And WHEN will she stop folllowing along behind men and get her own damn mind. Medical school. Law school. Medical school. Law school.

Let's wrap this thing up people! I have no expectations, so everything will be a surprise to me. Can't wait to see how it all ends..

Edited by LoveSupreme, May 20, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

Qjuad

Qjuad

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Who is LLFP?

Little Lord Fuck Pants, aka Jackie Jr.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

AJ can't even kill himself right. :)