The Old Reaper Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

152 replies to this topic

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 10:48 PM

I didn't see a thread for it, but according to the Futon Crritic, this CW Pilot has Been Ordered To Series. And according to this Latest CW Schedule Draft, it will be airing Tuesdays at 9:00 following Beauty And The Geek.

From TV.com:

A twenty-something slacker finally scores a job as the devil's bounty hunter. It is his job to collect the souls of the people who have made deals with the devil but have yet to pay up their end of the bargain.

The series is produced by ABC Television Studio in association with The Mark Gordon Company.

Personally, I'm excited that it was picked up. I'm a sucker for the supernatural genre. It seems a litle Brimstone-ish, and I for one am hoping it lasts longer than Brimstone did.

For some reason, the TV.com link says it premieres June 1, 2007. I have no idea what that's all about.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 11:02 PM

This is totally the teen version of The Collector!

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

There are three clips for Reaper on the CW website

Just click on "Fall 2007 Sneek Peek". I think it looks good, and I cannot wait for it, personally.

Teen Titan

Teen Titan

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 10:54 PM

Yeah, this looks kind of cool. Not bad effects either.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 4:26 PM

Definitely some similarities to The Collector, but not too many really. I'd call it more a cross between The Collector and Brimstone with a definite young-adult comedy vibe. Looks like it could be fun; I'll definitely be checking it out. Wonder what the story about the parents' deal is though...

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 4:36 PM

My spec is that the parents made a deal so they could have kids, with the first born belonging to Satan when he reaches a certain age.

Bad Seed Girl

Bad Seed Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

Caper24, is Brimstone the one with the guy and the tattoos of the demons, and every time he get the demon the tattoo disappears? Because that is the show I thought of when I saw the premise but I could not remember the name. The Tattoo show was good but obviously not good enough for me to remember the name. I do remember is was not on that long not even an entire season.

Edited by Bad Seed Girl, May 18, 2007 @ 4:40 PM.

tigerlily0

tigerlily0

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

Yes, that's the one.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

those clips were hysterical. And I love that Ray Wise is playing the Devil. Hope we see more of him.

This is one series I'll definitely give a shot.

Raja

Raja

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 5:53 PM

This is totally the teen version of The Collector!

The show that I keep thinking about is the sadly missed 1990s series from about a decade ago G vs E. A great show cancelled before its time. By the way if you have the channel "Chiller" they've been repeating G vs E lately. Gotta set a tivo season for it when I stop being lazy. Also havnig Tyler Labine being in Reaper also brings to mind another and far lamer "retrieving souls" show he did for the WB a few years back called "Dead Last."

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 12:12 PM

Not So Positive media Mention:

3. "Reaper," The CW: This is a show about a bounty hunter who must round up evil souls that have escaped from hell. Did no one see the quickly canceled Fox series "Brimstone?"

I think the Brimstone comparisons would hold more weight if Reaper was being presented as a serious show and not the pseudo parody that it is.

Sister Spooky

Sister Spooky

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2007 @ 9:43 AM

Ooh, Leland Palmer is the devil. Awesome!

ShantaD

ShantaD

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2007 @ 8:47 PM

It got a positive mention in USAToday

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

Cool, thanks for the link.

Bad Seed Girl

Bad Seed Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

I think I am going to check this series out. This will be my first foray into the Land of CW, I just have never been interested in any of their shows. I did watch Smallville for 1 season, thats on CW I think.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 12:52 AM

Trailer

If the theme song is the cover of Don't Fear The Reaper that plays at the trailer's end, then this show gets bonus points from me. Not as much as it would have gotten if it was the original version by Blue Oyster Cult, but still.

Zulfiya

Zulfiya

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 9:20 AM

You know, I didn't have a lot of hope for this from the pitch, but the trailer cracked me up. Worst. Parents. Ever. ("Oh, by the way, we sold your soul to the devil...")

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 2:51 PM

Ha! The trailer cracked me up and intriiiigued me. I may give it a look.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 10:54 PM

My favorite moments from the trailer were the ones about killing a Vegas hooker, Love interest having low standards, and best friend opening the door to hit the jumping, yapping dog

whatthenelly

whatthenelly

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 11:16 PM

Okay I'm already a big fan of the pal! The main character is pretty likeable too. Hmmm, resistance is cracking just a bit with this one. (And I just swore off the CW a couple days ago!) I'm helpless in the face of goofy buddy humor. Just ask Psych.

Kaitlin862

Kaitlin862

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 11:39 PM

(And I just swore off the CW a couple days ago!)

Me too! And this might just be the pilot I am most looking forward too, I loved that kid in "Grounded for life" and the mom in that trailer is pretty good.
Count me in!

badcb

badcb

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

The trailer is funny. I saw some scenes on the CW site. I look forward to this show as much as Gossip Girl. Reaper also has the guy Jimmy from Breaker High who I also like.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

Reaper also has the guy Jimmy from Breaker High who I also like.

Who is he in this show? Was he Sam's friend that wasn't shown in trailer, but is in the second clip on the CW site?

badcb

badcb

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

Jimmy from Breaker High is the guy who hit the dog with the car door in the trailer.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 7:22 PM

There's a mention of Reaper in the 'News & Notes' section of the 6/1 issue of Entertainment Weekly - it says that Kevin Smith directed the pilot.

Tyler Labine (the pal) is so hilarious. I first noticed him in the short-lived "Dead Last", which I adored, and he was great in the equally short-lived "Invasion". I hope Reaper does well enough to get someone to do a "Dead Last" dvd set. I also hope it helps "Brimstone" get released sooner (I'm pretty sure that one will happen sometime in the next year or two regardless, but if Reaper does well enough to last the season and get a dvd release, it might nudge things along faster for Brimstone.)

mmartine

mmartine

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2007 @ 4:03 PM

Came across an early review yesterday courtesy of New York Magazine: The CW's 'Reaper': Don't Fear it!

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2007 @ 11:59 PM

So we finally have a name for best friend. Thanks for the link.

Zulfiya

Zulfiya

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2007 @ 11:04 AM

I first noticed him in the short-lived "Dead Last", which I adored,

Hooray! I am not the only one! I'd totally buy a Dead Last DVD set.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 7:43 PM

Okay, so we have the kid next door from Grounded For Life and the brother from Invasion. Where do I sign up?

Edited by lvmom, Jun 3, 2007 @ 7:43 PM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 12:06 PM

Bret Harrison is playing yet another character named Sam! I loved him in Grounded for Life, he was hilarious in The Loop, and so I am obligated to watch him in this show. The trailer did make me chuckle a few times, and I've been dying to watch something on the CW that doesn't completely suck and blow. This just might be that show.