Moonlight: Another Vampire/Detective show?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4944 replies to this topic

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

“Moonlight,” from writer-producer Ron Koslow (CBS’ “Beauty and the Beast”), is about a vampire who makes his living as a private detective. Alex O'Loughlin (“The Invisible”) stars.

Apparently the 21st century equivalent of "How many angels will fit on the head of a pin?" is "How many Angels will fit on the broadcast schedule?"

Like Jell-O, there always seems to be room for a vampire/detective show.

ETA:Apparently tags don't work in thread titles. Can someone change my failed attempt at an italicized "Another" to an all-caps "ANOTHER"? Thanks.

Edited by jeet, May 15, 2007 @ 12:46 PM.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

Like Jell-O, there always seems to be room for a vampire/detective show.

Except on the ©WB.

What interests me here isn't the format or the star, but the creator. I was a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast (what, guys can't be drippy romantics, too?) and I've been waiting for a long time for Koslow to come back with a full-fledged fantasy series. (Maybe he can bring George R.R. Martin with him as a story editor?)

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

Last I heard this show wasn't making the schedule so color me pleasantly surprised to see it there.

I'll definitely check it out. Especially given who created it. Very nice!

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

Interesting

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 9:40 AM

The summary from tvguide.com:

Moonlight: From prolific movie producer Joel Silver (The Matrix, Trilogy), is about Mick St. John (Alex O'Loughlin, upcoming White Out), a captivating undead private investigator who uses his acute vampire senses to help the living… instead of feeding on them. In an agonizing twist of fate, Mick was bitten 60 years ago by his new bride, the seductive and beguiling Coraline (Amber Valletta, Hitch). Immortal and eternally as young, handsome and charismatic as he was then, Mick is sickened by Coraline and other vampires who view humans only as a source of nourishment. With only a handful of undead confidantes for company, including deceitful ally Josef (Rade Serbedzija, 24), Mick fills his infinite days protecting the living, and trying not to think about how his life would have been if he hadn't followed his heart. However, after six decades of resisting, he wonders if it's time to pursue the love of a mortal. He has his eyes on Beth Turner, a beautiful, ambitious reporter who has been covering the ongoing plague of unusual murders. But would Beth even consider giving up a normal life to be with him, and can Mick risk the pain of seeing himself as a monster in her eyes? As Mick lives between two realities, fighting his adversaries among the undead and falling in love with Beth, he knows he needs to figure out a reason to keep living.

Hmmm....sounds very Forever Knight.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 9:55 AM

Dammit, I'm still waiting for my vampire cowboy show!

</Whedon>

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 10:47 AM

Last I heard this show wasn't making the schedule so color me pleasantly surprised to see it there.

Maybe HBO's forthcoming True Blood and the success of Lifetime's Blood Ties made CBS rethink their original decison? I never watched Beauty and The Beast, but I remember many of my friends loved it. So I'm looking forward to watching this.

BrainyBlonde

BrainyBlonde

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 11:52 AM

[bad pun]I'm a sucker for a good vampire show[/bad pun], so I'll definitely be checking this out.

Alex O'Loughlin is a hottie!

Vampire
Detective

Interesting tidbit from IMDB: Alex's father, Ronald Belford Scott, was the frontman for AC/DC.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 2:17 PM

He is hot! But what kind of a name is Mick St John? Groan.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 6:24 PM

Hmmm....sounds very Forever Knight.

Indeed. I'm sort of interested though. However, I'm wondering why can't one of these shows have a female vampire. It would set it apart just a little bit. I think I'd watch that more readily than something that's just redoing something I've already seen.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 7:19 PM

Couldn't we just have 'Blade' back? Seriously.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

Or 'Angel'.

Especially if it featured more puppets.

TheExaultedOne

TheExaultedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 8:34 PM

However, I'm wondering why can't one of these shows have a female vampire. It would set it apart just a little bit. I think I'd watch that more readily than something that's just redoing something I've already seen.

I agree with that totally. In fact the more I think about it, the more I love the idea of that. Women can be dark, menacing and sexy too, not just pure and innocent love interests that can redeem a man.

I second this. I second it emphatically. *strokes Blade and mourns the loss of a show taken far too soon*

mountaineer77

mountaineer77

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 8:35 PM

However, I'm wondering why can't one of these shows have a female vampire.

Demographics, demographics, demographics.

This falls into classic archetype: the mortal human female who is pursued by the charming, yet potentially dangerous, male vampire. In other words, the vampire is what we call a "bad boy."

Or, perhaps, Underworld: The Series.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 8:53 PM

I second this. I second it emphatically. *strokes Blade and mourns the loss of a show taken far too soon*

Lordy I miss that show. I know CBS used to own TNN but they don't own Spike right? Because, if so, the picking up of this show while canceling Blade is .... well, bizarre to say the least.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 9:23 AM

To be fair, while I enjoyed Blade its biggest stumbling block was a lead actor who could neither act nor do much in the way of convincing fight scenes. Something of a problem for an eponymous action-adventure show.

xyzzy

xyzzy

Video Archivist

• Interests:Painting, knitting, writing...<br />Battlestar Galactica, Carnivale, Rome, Six Feet Under, Deep Space 9, Firefly, Angel, Deadwood, Ugly Betty, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 6:32 AM

This must be the show they foolishly named "Twilight," which confused a lot of fans of the YA vampire series of the same name. I was also a huge fan of Beauty & the Beast, so I'm looking forward to this one. The vampire detective scenario is pretty cliche these days, but each take on it so far has certainly been its own show, so I won't discount it just based on the premise. I think that the networks learned from Blade that there's a big audience for vampires still--that particular show just didn't attract Spike's target demographic. A lot of eyeballs, but too many were female, sadly.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 5:20 PM

Preview Trailer
Clip One

From the Preview Trailer, it's not hard to figure out that the "One True Love" must also be the the little girl he rescued as a child.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 5:58 PM

Okay couldn't get the preview to work, but...wow. That clip showed some of the worst acting in history.

Or maybe I'm being uncharitable and the cast were just embarrassed that they were in a blatant rip-off of Angel.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 7:35 PM

Let's not forget that Forever Knight beat Angel to the vampire detective punch. Between Forever Knight, Angel, that Canadian one and Moonlight, I think it's safe to say that "vampire detective" is officially a genre (at least a sub-genre).

The difference is largely one of perception.

There are still few enough vampire detective shows to say that Moonlight is a rip-off of Angel or Forever Knight or that Canadian one.

I think the next time one of these rolls around, our response will be, "Oh, another vampire detective show."

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Thanks for the links, justsmile. I watched the clip and part of the preview trailer (because it kept freezing). The clip wasn't very good, but the preview trailer was better. The vampire seems a bit more Frat Boy than vampire, but I think I'll tune in. Because it's on CBS, though, I doubt it will last. And if FOX's Reaper is remotely good, I wonder if this one will have a chance.

Toga88

Toga88

Couch Potato

• Interests:I'm preternaturally snarky. It's a blessing and a curse. I love TV. Watching it, writing it, (and to break the 'w' word scheme) critiquing it. Maybe one day, I'll get to do at least one of the three professionally. I'm a Leo who enjoys lounging about, pondering the meaning of life, and a good game of Scattergories. I completely ripped this off from my blog profile.

Posted May 22, 2007 @ 11:24 AM

Okay couldn't get the preview to work, but...wow. That clip showed some of the worst acting in history.

Or maybe I'm being uncharitable and the cast were just embarrassed that they were in a blatant rip-off of Angel.

Nice to know someone else shares my opinion.

And am I the only one who doesn't find Alex Owhatever attractive?

Edited by Toga88, May 22, 2007 @ 11:26 AM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 12:16 AM

And am I the only one who doesn't find Alex Owhatever attractive?

No. I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

This show looks incredibly bad due mostly to whom they chose to cast in the lead roles. I predict it will get cancelled after less than 4 episodes.

Red Adept

Red Adept

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 11:42 AM

What I'd really like to see in this whole Vampire Detective genre is bringing PN Elrod's Jack Fleming to the screen. We've already got a renaissance of hard-boiled film-noir detectives, so why not a vampire one set in 1930s chicago?

ashsplash

ashsplash

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

I haven't watched any of the clips yet but I am curious enough about this show to give it a chance (at least for a few weeks). I only hope that it is decent enough to make up for Alex O'Loughlin leaving The Sheild. I'd be sad to see him leave a show that he is good on for one that he will only be on for a few weeks.

SilentRunning

SilentRunning

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 5:07 PM

No. I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

I guess I'm crazy but I think he is very attractive and more so than Kyle who plays Henry on Blood Ties .
I actually prefer mature men portraying vampires ie GWD on Forever Knight and Rick Springfield in the movie version the series was based on .
I'm hoping Moonlight survives the odds since I'm liking the promos so far and think the premise sounds great despite the comparisons going on. I never watched Angel but did really enjoy Forever Knight and like Blood Ties mostly but still think Dylan would have made a much more convincing and captivating vampire ..

Ethan815

Ethan815

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 6:28 AM

I'm very annoyed CBS picked this up over Babylon Fields, and I don't see this show doing well it all.

I'm kind of amused how it seems to be identical to New Amsterdam over on FOX, and I predict both shows will be gone by midseason.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 8:32 AM

This is just a Forever Knight rehash, IMO. Reluctant vampire as a cop/PI [Nick/Mick - how original there!] who longs to help mortals and is facinated by one [Natalie/Beth] while tempted by the seductive woman who gave [or helped give] him immortality [Janette/Coralie]. Though Moonlight has no LaCroix. Pity. :-P

Still, I may check this out for the undeniable cheese factor!

caia1970

caia1970

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

Just once I'd like to see something different and original like a Vampire/Veterinarian show or a Vampire/Coroner show. Actually that could work really well; easy access to lots of bodies, he could work the grave-yard shift, like a Vampire-Quincy M.E.!

Red Adept

Red Adept

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

Still, I may check this out for the undeniable cheese factor!

Talk about Cheese factor? I almost caught the latest Tom Sellick movies just for Nigel Bennett.

Just once I'd like to see something different and original like a Vampire/Veterinarian show or a Vampire/Coroner show. Actually that could work really well; easy access to lots of bodies, he could work the grave-yard shift, like a Vampire-Quincy M.E.!

I could dig (!) a Vampire Coroner show, but unless it delves into Crossing Jordan territory, it'll have to be mostly about his/her personal life since watching an hour of forensic activity in the morgue just would not appeal.

And no, no Henry Winkler and hookers in the morgue. please!