Chuck

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

This connects with when they started sexing up her look in Season 3. Yes, the platform heels were ridiculous.

She wore platform heels in the first 2 seasons as well, maybe not as extravagant and not as high (probably 3-4" at best) but it seems they've always tried to downplay Zachary Levi's height (6'3") on this show. It's important to note that the male leads on this show are quite tall; they're all 6'3" in fact (Devon, Chuck, Casey), except for Morgan (lol) of course. Even Sarah wears crazy heels on the show; same for every guest star (Stacy Keibler, Momma Bartowski, Jill, etc.)

I just found that interesting. I've never seen a show with female characters always wearing huge stilettos.

AnnaRose

AnnaRose

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

But putting the Intersect in Morgan of all people... I don't... I think it undermines and trivializes a lot of what was said about Chuck being the chosen one/true host of the Intersect.

But Chuck was the only one who could handle it, especially long-term, and after Ellie fixed the memory problem.

Maybe Lauren Cohan didn't sell it as well as she could have, but I also feel that the writers didn't spend enough time on her and Riley's characters. She goes from conflicted at the end of 4x17 (the Bank of Macau mission) to mega-evil bitch in 4x20 without anything in between.

Yeah, I thought that was a major flaw in season 4, and at the time I thought for sure it was a red herring when Beckman announced that it was Vivian who tried to blow up castle. I just didn't buy her evil transformation or that she would trust Riley.

That said, I still loved season four and Timothy Dalton was amazing throughout. Every season has flaws, but seasons three and four had some of the best and most entertaining episodes IMO. I also loved Morgan finding out in Vs The Beard which was one of my favorites of the series, and his whole character evolution and developing relationships with Casey and Alex. (And with Sarah too, even though they didn't have many scenes together, but when they did they were golden.)

I'm a big fan of Chuck music and Alex Patsavas, the music director whose work I have enjoyed on other shows. One song I missed until TV Critic Alan Sepinwall mentioned it in his series wrap-up is the song Model Homes by In-flight Safety that was played during the second episode in season 3 when Chuck and Sarah are sparring and she is trying to get him to fight back. Really beautiful song.

Slimekay, I really enjoy reading your thoughts and envy you getting to watch the episodes for the first time. I think there is often a certain angst that colors opinions for people that watch in real time, so it's fun to read the thoughts of someone watching it on DVD when it's already over.

Edited by AnnaRose, Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:08 PM.

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Yeah, I thought that was a major flaw in season 4, and at the time I thought for sure it was a red herring when Beckman announced that it was Vivian who tried to blow up castle. I just didn't buy her evil transformation or that she would trust Riley.

I totally agree. On top of that, Riley's evilness came out of nowhere. Ok, he was a 'lieutenant' (?lawyer?) of Volkoff but why should we assume he was evil? The lack of consistency/continuity is why I didn't enjoy the Volkoff plot in the back eleven as much as the first 13.

That said, I still loved season four and Timothy Dalton was amazing throughout. Every season has flaws, but seasons three and four had some of the best and most entertaining episodes IMO. I also loved Morgan finding out in Vs The Beard which was one of my favorites of the series, and his whole character evolution and developing relationships with Casey and Alex. (And with Sarah too, even though they didn't have many scenes together, but when they did they were golden.)

Totally agree, again. Watching 4 seasons in the past months, their growth were very obvious and their effects on the interactions and on the plots (how characters approached different/similar situations over time). That's why I understand why some people might be bummed when reflecting on the events of the finale regarding Sarah (arguably the character who has grown the most in the first 89 episodes).

While I think Seasons 1 and 2 were the most consistent seasons and had the highest concentration of great episodes (Season 2 handily wins in that department), it's safe to say all seasons, so far, have had their gems. And it's no disrespect to Season 3 or 4. On a standalone basis, those seasons are kick-ass. However, they both came after what is, in my opinion, one of the best TV seasons of all time (Season 2) so it's easy to feel a let down and nostalgic.

One thing, so far, Season 2 had over every other season is that we had the perfect mix of Spy-stuff, "relevant" (and funny) Buy More stuff, humour, drama, epic episodes and great villains/guest stars. It was, by far, the most balanced season of all and still had that Season 1 feeling despite becoming darker and angstier towards the end of the season (Chuck?Sarah, Orion/Roark arc).

I'm a big fan of Chuck music and Alex Patsavas, the music director who's work I have enjoyed on other shows.

Patsavas is one of my favorite directors as well. The O.C., Chuck, Grey's and Gossip Girl have awesome music. Can't thank her enough for all the good music I've discovered over the years by watching her shows.

Slimekay, I really enjoy reading your thoughts and envy you getting to watch the episodes for the first time. I think there is often a certain angst that colors opinions for people that watch in real time, so it's fun to read the thoughts of someone watching it on DVD when it's already over.

Thank you very much :)

Just like The O.C. (I was young back then), Chuck managed to captivate me from the first act of the first episode. In the case of Chuck much more than The O.C., the cast is just adorable and has such an amazing chemistry. I am taking it slow with Season 5 for obvious reasons but I have a feeling my blurays are going to stay in the reader for a while.

AnnaRose

AnnaRose

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I still have never watched The O.C. I fell in love with Alex Patsavas' music selections with the first show she did which was Roswell. That had amazing music that was unfortunately mostly replaced with the DVD release.

Speaking of DVDs... what do you think of the Chuck Bluray DVD quality? I never bought them because I read so many reviews complaining about artifacts and stating that it was a poor transfer. I thought maybe upconverting the regular DVDs might be better. Do you watch them on a large screen? Is it worth buying the blurays over the DVDs?

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

I recently found out that the same person (Alex Patsavas) does/did the music for all the shows that I've noted as having good music and I was not surprised at all. I really loved The O.C.'s music when I was on and I discovered a lot of my now-favourite artists from that show, Grey's and Chuck. Model Homes is a great song and one of the ones that instantly makes me smile. I always get so excited when a "Chuck" song is on another show...almost as if they belong only to that show because they're just so perfect. At the end of the Whitney finale they played Young Blood and I had to smile hearing a Chuck song in there. But then...it felt so wrong. I also love rewatching an episode and finding out that a song I discovered in another way was on the show way back when. That happened with Freelance Whales' Generator 1st Floor for me. It didn't make an impact the first time I saw the episode (401) but then watching it again later on I was delighted to hear it there. For anyone interested, there's a YouTube user by the name of IndependentPresident who has uploaded many of the Chuck music scenes.

I very rarely listen to the radio so I count on TV to introduce new music to me and without Chuck I have not discovered a lot of new stuff in a while. Cougar Town actually has great music and it's Christa Miller, one of the main cast members, who is the music supervisor there. She also did the music for Scrubs.

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Speaking of DVDs... what do you think of the Chuck Bluray DVD quality? I never bought them because I read so many reviews complaining about artifacts and stating that it was a poor transfer. I thought maybe upconverting the regular DVDs might be better. Do you watch them on a large screen? Is it worth buying the blurays over the DVDs?

HD is HD... so obviously it beats the DVD and any other kind of Standard Definition media. This being said, Chuck's HD (broadcast and bluray) is subpar (for the reasons you've stated); audio is subpar too (it gets noticeably better in Season 3 and 4 - I guess Season 5 should have the best quality, according to that trend). I can't watch something not in HD so for me the DVDs were a no-go from the start. Bluray.com has reviewed all Chuck bluray sets so if you want a more in-depth look, you should head there.

FYI, I watch the blurays on my laptop (1080p screen) and on my 46" LED TV 1080p).

Hope this helps.

And yeah, Alex Patsavas is "the shit" in terms of TV soundtrack..

Edited by slimekay, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:20 PM.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:14 AM

I'm guessing they're action figures...

EDIT: More pieces of the "puzzle", removed.

Edited by thalassus, Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:26 AM.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I'm guessing they're action figures...

EDIT: More pieces of the "puzzle", removed.

One wonders why they waited until after the show was over to make these...

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

NBC Store link for the figurines. I didn't realize they were on pre-order. Now I wonder if other merchandise might come out, now that the show is done.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

It is a testament to the power of this show that I have been unable to delete the finale from my PVR.

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

It is a testament to the power of this show that I have been unable to delete the finale from my PVR.

Oh my god, me too! I have it downloaded and I still can't get rid of it. Every time I do a clean up of my DVR I almost hit delete for Chuck but I just can't do it.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

So, anyone got the DVDs? What of the extended series finale?

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

I managed to see three of the extra scenes of Goodbye, and I guess I'll let 'em speak for themselves. I'm now more convinced than ever that Sarah did come back to Chuck on the beach, based on that talk Sarah had with Morgan, and then with Chuck in those scenes, and contrasted with what Sarah said on the beach. (I'm told nothing was added/removed from the final beach scenes. But of course...)

This deleted scene from Chuck Versus Sarah was really heartbreaking, tho.

Edited by thalassus, May 12, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Casey's full goodbye should have remained in the episode. If only for Casey telling Morgan he was right, that was a great payoff for Morgan's Crowning Moment of Awesome, and for their friendship.

Morgan and Casey's friendship became my favorite thing about the show. That's not a knock on anything else. They found perfection by pairing them up in season 3, and adding Alex to it, just made it better. That's something I didn't think I'd be saying in season 1, mainly because of Morgan. They hit it right with Morgan and season 2, and he only got better.

The season 5 DVD is without a doubt a love letter to the fans.

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I'm waiting a bit till I get the DVD. I have a lot going on now and I don't want to get distracted! Who is on the finale commentary?

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

Chris Fedak, Josh Schwartz, Zachary Levi, and Joshua Gomez are on the commentaries for "Versus Sarah" and "Versus the Goodbye".

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Here's a random question for you guys who've been doing rewatches of Chuck episodes: what episodes have you rewatched and felt differently about, in light of knowing what would be happening in future episodes?

I already mentioned the Beckman-Graham conversation earlier in this thread, in relation to Morgan becoming an Intersect host. Another scene that got to me during rewatch was this conversation during the last fountain scene in "Break-Up", in light of the events of the last few episodes of season 5:

Sarah: You know, someday, when the Intersect is out of your head, and you have the life that you always wanted, you'll forget all about me.
Chuck: I seriously doubt that.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Here's a random question for you guys who've been doing rewatches of Chuck episodes: what episodes have you rewatched and felt differently about, in light of knowing what would be happening in future episodes?

The season 3 premiere, Casey getting Morgan his job back at Buy More is better in retrospect.

Casey got Morgan his job back at Buy More, Morgan was the one that motivated Casey to get his job back with Team Bartowski, Casey gets Morgan a job with Team Bartowski, and Morgan was the one that got Casey to see that when he was with Team Bartowski, that's when he was at his best.

And Casey getting Morgan his job back is a small hint that Casey was beginning to like the Bearded One.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Morgan and Casey's friendship became my favorite thing about the show.

Morgan, while annoying and stupid, was also loyal and frequently brave. Casey formed an attachment to him kind of like the way K-9 officers form an attachment to their dogs.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Morgan and Casey's friendship became my favorite thing about the show.

I like it a lot, too. I think the show did a really good job developing the relationship between the two.

I've always liked Chuck himself and figured in the beginning that Casey would come around and like him, too. Morgan was really different. If Morgan couldn't win over fans in the beginning, how could he possibly win over Casey? Yet, he found a way to do both in ways that made sense.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

I may be in a the minority here but I always found Morgan getting in on Chuck's secret was more a negative then positive. I think I pointed this out before but I always thought the strength of the show in early seasons was Chuck balancing his spy life vs his normal life and Morgan being part of the normal life helped that. Once Morgan got in on the secret, Chuck normal life(or the Buy More plots) quality really dropped.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

While it was fun to watch Chuck try to balance both, in the first two seasons he was trying to get the Intersect out of his head, so it made sense to not tell anyone. Especially if that meant they'd have to go into hiding/CIA protection if he did. Once he accepted/chose to be a spy, I think he had to tell some people that he wasn't with the Buy More anymore, he worked for the CIA. Granted, he could have cloaked it as a "consultant" or analyst and that would have made sense. But at that point, I think Chuck needed to tell someone other than Sarah and Casey to help him cope. In other words, it felt like a natural progression to me. I would have started getting irritated at keeping the secret, and I did get pissed off at how long it took him to tell Ellie. Of course, a real CIA spy would not be careless enough to blow his cover to friends and family. But, for me, this wasn't a show about the CIA so much as it was a show of people becoming fulfilled because they formed their own little family. What I liked so much about this show was how each person brought out the best in the other. I hate friends/couples/family that constantly bring you down, but this family (and I include Sarah and Casey, of course) always pushed each other to be better. In a good way.

Edited by frenchtoast, May 18, 2012 @ 6:27 AM.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

I would much rather had Ellie be the one who finds out Chuck is a spy sooner then Morgan though. I think another problem with Morgan finding out is I really didn't care for how they interjected him into the spy business. I am not a fan when you have a show about crime fighters, where there is a character who is introduced as a "normal" person for a few seasons all of a sudden gets interjected into the crime fighting on the show with the characters from the start who were crime fighters(in Chuck's case Sarah, Casey and Chuck)

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I actually got to briefly meet Adam Baldwin at the Ottawa Comic-con last weekend. Very friendly, very gracious despite the fact that I approached him just as he was packing up to head to his photo-op segment. Asked my name and shook my hand and everything.

From what I've heard I don't think I'd agree with him politically, but the man is nice to his public for sure.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Yvonne back on TV with Dexter; Zachary may be in Thor 2--interesting, because Chuck is the reason he wasn't in the first one.

Edited by Trini Girl, Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:40 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I definitely plan on watching Yvonne in Dexter. I've tried watching that show here and there and could never get into it. At the very least I'll record it and fast forward untill she's on the screen.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I'm guessing her backstory is that she was in fact a former CIA agent coming from a nasty case of amnesia... also, "Hannah", huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think I've seen this Robert Duncan McNeil interview being posted here before.

I would have to say [my favorite episode is] "Chuck Versus the Honeymooners", which is when they were on the train trip to Pündtün. Which is a made-up town, I have a sign up there [laughs] in my office. Which, actually, I’m sure you probably know this, but the writers wanted them to go to "pound town" finally. Or have sex, as you might say. So to go to "pound town", we made up this literal town called Pündtün in Switzerland. So they went to Pündtün.

Edited by thalassus, Jun 15, 2012 @ 6:52 AM.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I totally missed that from 'Honeymooners', but that's pretty cheeky if that's the backstory. One can definitely say they were going to 'Pündtün' at the start of that episode for sure...!

HybridIce

HybridIce

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Re: Sa--erm Yvonne on Dexter

Now I love me some Yvonne, but do I really want her on Dexter? Humm, I guess only time will tell. I think I'm so stuck on her as Sarah that I refuse to accept her as anything else. It's going to be a rough transition.

Edited by HybridIce, Jun 15, 2012 @ 8:48 PM.

thalassus

thalassus

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I have no doubt Yvonne can do "creepy"; take this scene from "Phase Three", for instance, where Sarah was threatening the Thai attaché. There's also that Jimmy Kimmel appearance...

~~~~~~~~

Adam Baldwin's going to be recurring on Leverage.

Edited by thalassus, Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:35 PM.