Chuck

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

redbulljunkie

redbulljunkie

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 24, 2007 @ 12:19 AM

First I want to say that leaked pilots are the best thing ever. This is really going to make the start of the fall season less stressful for me. I believe every show that ever airs deserves to be watched 2-4 episodes in before being deemed crappy enough to stop watching. My life is sad.

But I can't get over how obviously not-Sarah the ninja looked, and how the computer took a 4-foot drop and became damaged "beyond repair," even though the hard drive platters were obviously intact.

Yeah, that ninja was so a dude. I did love the Ninja fight scene, first off..ninjas..always cool. Plus I was happy that he didn't get magic super power with his knowledge, keeps him more geeky. I was confused by the fact that he preferred to be called a nerd instead of a geek. I think most people prefer the term geek over nerd. But maybe he just didn't want to be confused with Geek Squad, so I'll let that slide.

That was the worst assembled computer ever for every last bit of it to fall out when it fell. That hard drive would have been fine. But I normally get in arguments with Best Buy employees when they pretend to know more then me so I guess I think they would think that. No offence to any Best Buy or Geek Squad employees. Unless you work at my local best buy and I argue with you, then totally be offended.

Overall I really liked it and I anticipate me watching this past my 2 episode minimum.

I love Adam Baldwin, can this be a show that he's in that doesn't die half-way through it's first season?

Edited by redbulljunkie, Aug 24, 2007 @ 7:10 PM.

dagnyshrugged

dagnyshrugged

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 8:46 AM

I've got to say, I'm not getting the love. I thought the pilot was OK, with a couple of laugh-out loud lines, but the premise is so derivative...not only of Jake 2.0, but the 40-year-old Virgin, etc. The lead is definitely likeable, and Adam Baldwin is always a joy. But why does Sarah Lancaster keep getting roles? She's nothing more than a pretty face. I also think the premise is likely to be a crutch for lazy writing...I have a feeling they'll keep changing the rules on us in terms of what Chuck knows/can do.

That being said, I'll watch the first couple of shows to see if Chuck hits his stride.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 4:47 AM

According to the Hollywood Reporter, NBC is offering downloads of the premiere episode of Chuck on Amazon.com starting Sept. 10; a week later it will be available on iTunes. Also, NBC is making the premiere episode of Chuck available as a free VOD offering on about 30 cable and satellite systems starting Sept. 10. A week later, streaming video of the Chuck pilot will be exclusively available on Yahoo. Additionally, NBC will screen the full premiere episode of Chuck on United Airlines flights. A partnership with a major retailer is also mentioned.

Contra Costa Times: TV jumps aboard the Chuck-wagon
Yup, yet another TV writer thinks he's discovered the "Chuck" trend.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 12:25 PM

Is it me, or is this getting pitched/positioned as a comedy? All the NBC promos seem to point that way.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 3:47 PM

I don't know cute couple. I have seen the pilot, and I still don't know what genre it is. I know that there is a lot of action but I can't decide if it is more of a comedy or a drama. I do not like that it is uncommon (atleast now) for the lines between comedy and drama to become blurred.

The way NBC is promoting it is a different story. I wouldn't be surprised if they were marketing it as an action comedy because I think of anything else on broadcast TV that fits that mold.

krishnaa

krishnaa

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 12:07 AM

I just wanted to say that I saw a couple of Less Than Perfect episodes, and Levi is seriously incredible in them. He plays a totally different character, but he plays it well! I just hope that Chuck gets to do some of the same dork dancing that Kip Steadman did...he can really move those hips! Hee!

Oh, and question: in the pilot, during the birthday party, does the screen really cut to a close up of the blonde when she asks "What do you really want to do with your life?" like it does in the promo? Because that bit just annoys the heck out of me because of how awkward it is.

Edit: Also, I really hope that Yvonne's character (Sara?) has a lot of scenes like the date scene, where she's sweet and cute and has a personality (at least that's what I get from the promos, heh), because her being badass is great, but if she's just badass, she and Chuck will be the most disturbing and boring couple ever.

Edited by krishnaa, Aug 31, 2007 @ 12:37 AM.

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 4:35 AM

Oh, and question: in the pilot, during the birthday party, does the screen really cut to a close up of the blonde when she asks "What do you really want to do with your life?" like it does in the promo? Because that bit just annoys the heck out of me because of how awkward it is.

Yes, it happens with a few people during the party. It's from Chuck's perspective, so it's meant to be awkward.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 5:15 AM

From Sept. 4 through Oct. 21, you can rent the NBC New Fall Preview DVD for free from Blockbuster. It includes full episodes of Chuck, Life, and Journeyman, and a 2-minute preview of Bionic Woman.

homewards

homewards

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 7:28 PM

The Paley Center for Media is having its annual Fall TV Preview Parties at both their LA and NY locations. The event is open and free to the public. You simply have to make a reservation via email. Not only do you get to see the new fall shows before they air on a big screen with other people (in LA, you can also watch them on the roof), there's also free food and drink.

Chuck
will be shown at the LA location on Sept. 8th. The party starts at 6:30 p.m. The screening begins at 7:00 p.m. In NY, the screening will take place Sept 7th. The party starts at 6:00 p.m. The screening begins at 6:30 p.m.

For more info about how to RSVP and the full schedule, go here.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

Chuck will also be shown in NYC on Sept. 7th.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 3:11 AM

TV with MeeVee has an exclusive Interview with "Chuck" star Zachary Levi
Very mild spoilers for future episodes.

The Futon Critic has a schedule for encore broadcasts of the pilot on USA, Bravo, and Sci Fi after it premieres on NBC.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Did someone mention iTunes? I don't know if this is still true, but damn...

Gepap

Gepap

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

I took advantage of the Paley center event in NYC and I must say I really enjoyed Chuck, and mainly for the comedy aspect. For the most part the action scenes were well done, but it was the banter that I liked best. I laughed several times, and I must say the audience really liked the show, and it was a very diverse group of people.

dejafu

dejafu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 11:03 AM

I thought the second half of the pilot was much better than the first. The beginning was an odd mix of styles, but it seemed to get sorted out by the end.

I did appreciate the gratuitous bedroom shots of the female lead.

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2007 @ 10:22 PM

I really liked the pilot, which I watched last night. Chuck and the female CIA agent have a natural chemistry together.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 1:52 PM

For those of you with Comcast OnDemand, the pilots for Chuck, Life, Bionic Woman, and Journeyman have been put up. Here's how I found them:

OnDemand --> Network Shows --> NBC Fall Preview

cko

cko

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:58 PM

Thanks for the post, needsleep, and the specific guidance. Stuff on On Demand is so g-d hard to find. I'm off to watch!

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 11:36 AM

Hmm I wondered how long it would be before someone from The OC showed up on Chuck. From JustJared and USA Today so might not be 100% accurate:

The former O.C. star will reunite with O.C. creator Josh Schwartz for a guest spot on NBC’s new comedy Chuck.

Bilson will play a romantic option for Chuck (Zachary Levi) in a multi-episode arc scheduled to air in late October, according to USA Today.

Chuck is about an “average computer-whiz-next-door” who receives an encoded e-mail from an old friend, a rogue CIA agent, which embeds the world’s greatest spy secrets in his brain. The series is scheduled to premiere on Monday, Sept. 24 on airing on Monday nights at 8PM ET/PT leading out Heroes.

She was good on The OC so glad she's getting some work, though I hope her character isn't just a "geeky guy falls for hot shallow girl" rerun of Seth/Summer.

musichick

musichick

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

I saw the pilot a few days ago with an audience and thought it was fun and entertaining. I think it's a good light start to Mondays before getting darker and more dramatic with Heroes and Journeyman. For the record, I also really enjoyed Reaper when I saw it at Comic Con and will try to watch both this season.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 12:47 PM

Caught this last night On Demand. I'm not 100% sold just yet. It certainly doesn't have the same level of geeky cool as my beloved Jake 2.0, but I liked it enough to watch it for a while and see how it goes.

Feity

Feity

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

I'm very excited to have Rachel Bilson back on my TV, she's AMAZINGG. But as mentioned, hopefully this won't be similar to Sethummer.

Female Viewer

Female Viewer

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 2:40 PM

Just saw this pilot after watching the Bionic Woman pilot, and this show is so much better than the poorly written crap that is the BW. I just hope it lasts.

Illyria B

Illyria B

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 4:06 PM

I'm disappointed by the Rachel Bilson news, she can't act.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 4:17 PM

I'm disappointed by the Rachel Bilson news, she can't act.

She's only in 5 episodes though, correct?

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

She's only in 5 episodes though, correct?

All I've seen is "multi episode arc" so could be 2, could be 10, or they might not have decided yet. Nor has it been confirmed from any source other than USA Today yet.

EDIT: Scratch that, zap2it has Schwartz talking about it:

"She's going to do a couple of episodes," Schwartz says. "We're thrilled it worked out. She was off doing this giant Doug Liman action movie ['Jumper'] all over the world and was going to be in L.A. for a few weeks.

"She's really, really funny, and we felt like she could really fit the tone of the show. We thought the chemistry she'd have and the comedy between her and Zach seemed ideal. So we're really excited she was around and available and willing to help out our little show as we get launched."

Bilson's character, who will first appear in the show's seventh episode, will be a sandwich-maker who hits it off with Chuck. Things seem great at first, but since the series is about Chuck trying to manage a double life as an underpaid big box-store employee and high-value government asset, he starts to wonder if she's really who she says she is.

It also puts a strain on his relationship with Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski), the CIA agent assigned to watch over him. "It creates a nice dynamic between Chuck and Sarah as they try to figure out what's real and what's just cover," Schwartz says.

"Chuck" premieres at 8 p.m. ET Monday, Sept. 24 on NBC.

rest of article here:

http://www.zap2it.co...-news-headlines

Edited by Featherhat, Sep 13, 2007 @ 5:06 PM.

sweetjane

sweetjane

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 8:04 PM

BuddyTV has an exclusive interview with Josh Schwartz.

Pat Agonia

Pat Agonia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2007 @ 10:09 PM

I think Josh has always said that he felt more like an outsider than a loser at USC. Whatever the case, he can write it well, so if he wants to pretend to be a loser, go for it, I say.

Actually he has considered himself a geek according to various interviews.

Anyways, Rachel Bilson reunion? Cool.

BettingForValue

BettingForValue

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 9:49 AM

Finally got to see this pilot (along with Pushing Daisies, the one new show that really excites me this year).

The pilot was surprisingly good, and I think it'll make a really nice pairing with Heroes. That said, I'll be taping it for the first few weeks instead of live because 1) it's against How I Met Your Mother, one of the few shows I like that's returning in the fall and 2) it's in a bit of a death-slot schedule wise, which makes me think it could really end up struggling to last the entire year.

Crowinator

Crowinator

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:46 PM

I agree, BettingForValue. Up against How I Met Your Mother is harsh. However, episodes of How I Met Your Mother are also available on CBS for the week after it airs, and so I might go that route: watch Chuck and watch episodes of How I Met Your Mother online. I got the pilot of Chuck (and Bionic Woman and Journeyman, which I haven't watched yet) on Amazon Unbox for free, so that was awesome. I read somewhere that NBC and iTunes are fighting and might break up, so I don't know if NBC shows will be available on iTunes this year.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Chuck. I haven't watched Jake 2.0 or The OC, so lucky me -- don't have any of those comparisons to make. I thought it was funny and I liked the spy action, and I'm intrigued about the larger mystery about Bryce, not just what the CIA and NSA will have Chuck doing in each episode. So, right now I think I'm in for the long haul.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Sep 14, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Hee. I just watched the pilot and having been a fan of Jake 2.0, I totally loved this and I'm psyched about the Rachel Bilson news.