Chuck

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

Danny Franks, I just had to thank you profusely for reminding me of...

Chuck Versus The Truth. Gave us a look at Ellie and Awesome's relationship, gave Chuck the chance to be a hero to save Ellie, had some great humour with the truth serum, and the kicker at the end, where Sarah revealed she'd lied to Chuck. Oh, and it also had Ellie brazenly checking out Sarah's boobs and calling her, "a big, big girl" in the bedroom scene. What's not to love?

...a near perfect episode, and one that somehow becomes even better with repeated viewings! One of the very most amusing, entertaining and engaging episodes of the series IMO, and I always love the reminder of just how much Chuck and Ellie love each other. (I even enjoyed Lou more this time around than I did initially!) 

Edited by MsTaken, Jan 3, 2014 @ 2:13 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 4:43 PM

...a near perfect episode, and one that somehow becomes even better with repeated viewings! One of the very most amusing, entertaining and engaging episodes of the series IMO, and I always love the reminder of just how much Chuck and Ellie love each other. (I even enjoyed Lou more this time around than I did initially!) 

It really is a great episode. And it's probably a really good one to use to introduce new viewers to the show, because now I think about it, it's probably one of the most Chuckiest episodes of the show. It captures all the character dynamics really well, it navigates the various levels of Chuck's relationships and how he feels trapped by the CIA, and it's packed with some great moments. There's some of that angsty stuff that people love, with Sarah lying to him and watching him go and ask Lou out. Chuck's heartfelt speech about how "the person I keep fooling the most... is me", is something I've always really liked. To me, that was a fairly early indicator of the strength within Chuck, that he wasn't just the geeky guy smitten by the gorgeous spy.

I liked Lou a lot, to be honest. She's the sort of girl I'd be attracted to instantly, and not just because she looks like Rachel Bilson. Loved that quirky, scattershot energy that she had.

The whole section with the three of them under the influence of the serum is great. Casey reluctantly admitting that he wouldn't really hurt Chuck, then reluctantly admitting that Sarah is better at picking locks than he is. Chuck telling Sarah she's "so pretty" and Sarah kind of wriggling in delight at the compliment, while Casey just sincerely says "thank you" when Chuck tells him that his "jaw was chiselled by Michaelangelo himself".

Oh, and the music in the episode. Great use of Toxic by Britney Spears (I usually can't stand that song, but it's perfect for the episode) and then Fresh Feeling by The Eels.

Edited by Danny Franks, Jan 3, 2014 @ 4:43 PM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 5:52 PM

Argh. I had a long post typed out, but for some reason the site decided to eat it. The Cliff Notes version:

1) Lou was a nice  reminder for both other characters and the audience (not that this audience member needed the reminder!) that Chuck wasn't just the out-of-his-depth, socially awkward 'dork' clamoring faithfully after the impossibly gorgeous, smart, successful, hyper-competent, awesome-in-nearly-every-way CIA agent who might at first glance seem to be wildly out of his league. He was a guy who other attractive, interesting women found very appealing. 

2) On a related note, I love that the show didn't go the annoyingly common route of having Chuck pining one-sidedly over Sarah for years before she 'gives in' and deigns to get involved with him. Instead, it was clear that they both had feelings for each other from very early on. Granted, Sarah felt she couldn't act on those feelings and is kind of less in touch with her feelings than the awesomely open, emotional Chuck is in general, but we knew that she cared for him. 

3)

The whole section with the three of them under the influence of the serum is great. Casey reluctantly admitting that he wouldn't really hurt Chuck, then reluctantly admitting that Sarah is better at picking locks than he is. Chuck telling Sarah she's "so pretty" and Sarah kind of wriggling in delight at the compliment, while Casey just sincerely says "thank you" when Chuck tells him that his "jaw was chiselled by Michaelangelo himself".

I adore those scenes so, so much. And I'm not sure I ever love Ellie more than when she's all loopy with its effects. Her quote about how if *everything* is awesome then, really, it's just mediocre, is classic. 

4) After devouring Season 1 (yes, again!), I'm thinking ...The Truth, ...Alma Mater and ...Marlin are my favorites from that awesome first season, though I'm also oddly attached to the pilot. (Which is especially unusual for me, as I usually complain that pilots are too clunky and exposition laden!) 

5) So what do you guys think of Morgan? More annoying as the series wore on? Less annoying as the series wore on? Always equally annoying? Never annoying in the first place? ;) I tend to be a big fan of platonic TV friendships in general, and Morgan's love and even touching (and, er, slightly creepy!) dependence on Chuck redeemed the character for me. I have to admit, though, that at times I wish they toned down his obnoxious irksomeness. 

6) I'm similarly torn on the Buy More scenes in general. On one hand, I do sometimes appreciate their humor and I think they're a definite part of what distinguishes Chuck from a more typical spy show. On the other, they can feel kind of forced and over-the-top for me. 

Edited by MsTaken, Jan 3, 2014 @ 5:52 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

1) Lou was a nice  reminder for both other characters and the audience (not that this audience member needed the reminder!) that Chuck wasn't just the out-of-his-depth, socially awkward 'dork' clamoring faithfully after the impossibly gorgeous, smart, successful, hyper-competent, awesome-in-nearly-every-way CIA agent who might at first glance seem to be wildly out of his league. He was a guy who other attractive, interesting women found very appealing. 

And Lou made no bones about it, either. The complete opposite of Sarah, who was dithering and indecisive (for valid reasons, of course) and unable to say or do anything about what she was feeling. Lou openly said "I like almost everything about you" to Chuck. And that was a confidence boost that I think he really did need, at that point.

It also gave Yvonne Strahovski to play jealous, and I always enjoyed it when Sarah got to indulge in some immature behaviour. She was usually so collected and competent, that seeing her thrown for a loop by Chuck wanting to break up their fake relationship and date someone else was a really fun change.

I adore those scenes so, so much. And I'm not sure I ever love Ellie more than when she's all loopy with its effects. Her quote about how if *everything* is awesome then, really, it's just mediocre, is classic. 

That was another great scene. And I liked that, instead of Awesome getting offended over her making fun of him, he just immediately went to being concerned about Ellie, and then apologetic to Chuck and Sarah when Ellie burst in on them.

5) So what do you guys think of Morgan? More annoying as the series wore on? Less annoying as the series wore on? Always equally annoying? Never annoying in the first place? ;) I tend to be a big fan of platonic TV friendships in general, and Morgan's love and even touching (and, er, slightly creepy!) dependence on Chuck redeemed the character for me. I have to admit, though, that at times I wish they toned down his obnoxious irksomeness. 

I remember Morgan being very unpopular during season 1, but he never bothered me too much. He was too attached to Chuck, and there were a couple of moments where he almost seemed to be jealous of Sarah, which was just a bit creepy. But I liked Chuck Versus The Sizzling Shrimp, where Sarah and Chuck had to agree to "an evening of Morgan" (Sarah's words), and the dynamics between the three of them seemed to even out a bit.

From season 2 onwards, I thought he was pretty great. As solid as a rock for Chuck, but with his own life as well. Giving him Anna as a love interest worked in terms of establishing him as his own person. And in Chuck Versus the Best Friend, there was a moment that legitimately made me tear up, where Chuck talked about how Morgan had stayed with him all night after his mother left, and then again when his dad left. It felt like, up to that point, there was still something of a question as to why Chuck cared about Morgan so much, amongst the audience and even amongst characters like Sarah and Casey.

I think that part of the reason I've never watched season five is because I don't want to see Morgan acting like a dick.

6) I'm similarly torn on the Buy More scenes in general. On one hand, I do sometimes appreciate their humor and I think they're a definite part of what distinguishes Chuck from a more typical spy show. On the other, they can feel kind of forced and over-the-top for me. 

Pretty much. Sometimes they did feel very forced and silly, but sometimes that silliness just worked. Like them starting a revolution, to the soundtrack of Fortunate Son, or the great moment in season 4 where Morgan rehires all the old Buy Morons and they get the ridiculous 'hero' slo-mo entrance.

I think the show would have been poorer if they'd got rid of the Buy More completely.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

Sometimes they did feel very forced and silly, but sometimes that silliness just worked. Like them starting a revolution, to the soundtrack of Fortunate Son, or the great moment in season 4 where Morgan rehires all the old Buy Morons and they get the ridiculous 'hero' slo-mo entrance.

Awww...I loved that! 

Speaking of S4 highlights, I can't be the only person who'd name Chuck Versus The Push Mix as a top five episode of the series, right....er, RIGHT? ;) I'll refrain from mentioning the number of times I've watched it. There's something weirdly addictive about this show; rather than tiring of my favorite episodes after rewatching (and rewatching...and rewatching...) them, I somehow feel compelled to keep rewatching!

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 5:30 PM

I will combine these 2 answers together.   Personally I loved the buy more stuff, especially in earlier seasons when Chuck was a bit more involved.  In later seasons at times it started feeling forced and they just having a buy more bit for the sake of a buy more bit.  I thought when Chuck  was more involved in the plots, it was a good plot of Chuck trying to balance both sides of his life.

Now on the subject of Morgan, I was not a fan of Morgan becoming part of the Team Chuck.  Morgan was perfect to be his friend in the Buy More bits, but they should never have let him cross that imaginary line of getting involved in Chuck's spy life as much as they did(probably a big part why I have more of a fondness for the earlier seasons over the later ones)

Edited by Bezerker, Jan 7, 2014 @ 5:31 PM.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 6:57 PM

I was aware of Chuck when it aired but never watched it. I "chose" Reaper over Chuck when they both premiered. I guess I didn't want to watch two shows with the lead working in a Buy More-type place but secretly up to other stuff. I'm also guessing that the recently ended Alias made me not so interested in spy stuff at that time, though I can't remember now. I followed Sepinwall's blog and knew he liked it, but what looked to me like constant worrying over its being canceled put me off. I also wasn't sure I'd be down with Subway stuff invading a show, and I guess I always thought that I should start from the beginning, so I never tried to jump in and just figured I'd get to it in full some day. Finally it became available on Netflix Instant, and I've been trying to spread it out since then.

I am at 3-7 right now. I took a week-long break after I thought Awesome died because I was so upset and pissed about it. Also it was really late at night when I watched "Angel de la Muerte" or else I probably would have gone on to the next one. But for some reason I really thought he was dead. I also thought Ellie was pregnant and that was part of why she wanted him to come home so badly. I guess I was imagining things. It also seems that the promo monkeys at NBC immediately spoiled that Awesome was still alive, so had I watched then, I wouldn't have been upset for long!

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 11:57 PM

I am at 3-7 right now. I took a week-long break after I thought Awesome died because I was so upset and pissed about it.

Oh yeah, I remember when that happened. I'm pretty sure there would have been a(n internet) riot if it wasn't for the preview! One of the few times I've been thankful for the promo monkeys.

-----
In other news, I read that Yvonne will be in the upcoming 24 "event series."

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:30 PM

In other news, I read that Yvonne will be in the upcoming 24 "event series." 

Thank god.  After the shit show that was Dexter, I can't wait to see Yvonne in something entertaining again.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 3:03 PM

Thank god.  After the shit show that was Dexter, I can't wait to see Yvonne in something entertaining again.

.... And I'm still waiting. I never made it past episode 4 of season 1 of 24, and even Yvonne isn't going to make me watch whatever this thing is.

I am at 3-7 right now. I took a week-long break after I thought Awesome died because I was so upset and pissed about it. Also it was really late at night when I watched "Angel de la Muerte" or else I probably would have gone on to the next one. But for some reason I really thought he was dead. I also thought Ellie was pregnant and that was part of why she wanted him to come home so badly. I guess I was imagining things. It also seems that the promo monkeys at NBC immediately spoiled that Awesome was still alive, so had I watched then, I wouldn't have been upset for long!

Hah. I remember that moment of, 'oh shit... they didn't did they?' at the end of that episode. The idea of Awesome being killed was so totally not awesome, that I think it could have crushed the show. It just never felt like a show that could survive that sort of trauma to the main characters. Ellie would have been destroyed, Chuck would have blamed himself forever, it just would have been horrible to watch.

Fortunately, Awesome continues to be awesome.

I really enjoyed that it was him who first learned that Chuck was a spy. That he was awed (no pun intended) by the reveal, but also that he made no bones about the fact that Chuck had to make sure none of it ever touched Ellie. It wasn't often we got to see Awesome's more serious side, but it was there.

Like it was there in the scene where he warned Bryce off chasing after Sarah, by telling him that he'd seen how she felt about Chuck. For a character who was introduced as something of a one-note name joke, he really became a great part of the show.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Just saw an ad for a Hallmark Channel movie starring Ryan McPartlin. So now that's at least 3 Chuck alumni in Hallmark movies.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 7:41 PM

http://insidetv.ew.c...chwartz-return/

I think it's a bunch of hot air but Josh Schwartz talking about Chuck possibly returning.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 9:00 PM

Yeah, it must have been a slow news day for EW to call up Josh Schwartz just for a random headline. Besides, I loved the ending so I hope they just keep Chuck forever traveling down those rivers and roads.

Samurai

Samurai

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2014 @ 8:47 PM

Zachary Levi has always mentioned doing something like a Kickstarter to do a Chuck movie down the road. I don't know (or think - I might be wrong) that it has the same kind of fan base as 'Veronica Mars', but that may be a function of VM being killed a bit early, whereas 'Chuck' was growing way too long in the tooth (well, really more like the writers were phoning it in) by the time the series came to an end. I have to think that his fundraiser for Nerd HQ at SDCC (over $100k out of the $1mm he is looking to raise in 2 days - very impressive if the pace keeps up) will be a good barometer of whether 'Chuck' has similar staying power. If so, it could be interesting if Schwartz & Fedak write a script that really reflects the spirit of seasons 1 and 2. I don't know how they would figure out a reasonable way to piece back the wreckage that was incurred during the last few episodes of the TV series...but that's getting ahead of ourselves. I suppose it'd largely depend on where everyone is in their career, but to be honest - outside of Yvonne doing the last couple seasons of 'Dexter' and the current gig in the '24' reboot, and Zach having a bit part in 'Thor' and doing 'First Date' on Broadway...none of the actors have been on my radar.

It's already been more than 2 years since 'Chuck' went off the air, and I've always gotten the sense that it'd probably be longer than that before it came back - but I do feel like it's been picking up fans elsewhere over the years, via Netflix or overseas - so who knows? I'd definitely contribute to a Kickstarter if they were down to do a movie.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

but I do feel like it's been picking up fans elsewhere over the years, via Netflix or overseas - so who knows?

I just convinced a friend to try Chuck last night. We got through the first 3 episodes before I had to head home but she was planning on continuing. It was fun to go back to the beginning and to see where she laughed.

Beatriceblake

Beatriceblake

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2014 @ 4:18 AM

I've discovered Chuck on DVD years after the fact (although I can't remember it being aired on any of the UK channels at the time) and I really love it. S1 was light hearted escapist fun that cheered me up after a bad day at work but S2 really takes it up a notch. I love seeing them start to flesh out the characters. I could have used a tad less objectification of Ellie and Sarah (it sometimes feels really crass) but at least S2 starts to give Sarah more of a backstory. Yvonne Strahovski is great at showing Sarah's conflicted feelings without making her look implausible as a spy.

I'm loving Chuck and Casey's developing friendship and I'm just now finishing up S2. The Orion twist was obvious but I love the fact it makes things more interesting for the characters like when Chuck pulls a (tranq) gun on Casey. Also I love that Casey has to have three darts in him before Chuck has any chance of winning their fight ;-)

Edited by Beatriceblake, Apr 5, 2014 @ 4:21 AM.