The Return of Jezebel James: Parker Posey and Amy Sherman-Palladino. Huh.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

139 replies to this topic

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

Besides the show not being great, this is FOX, the show was on Fridays. So yeah, it's cancelled. Canterbury's Law may soon join the Jezebel James out train too.

For what it's worth, I was getting used to it and I hope there's some way to see the rest of the episodes.

I cannot stand the way Parker Posey pronounces "Coco" like it's two separate words, emphasizing the long "o" in each. Each time she said her name, I cringed.

I LOVE the way she says Coco. I will forever treasure it and repeat it many times at random moments.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 9:13 AM

Not surprised, but disappointed.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 4:23 PM

Yup. Also, I was really looking forward to watching Sarah spending the night at Marcus's place for the first time. Crap. I understand cancelling, but pulling a scheduled episode is sucky. Just let the damn episode air.

I'll never understand FOX. More Bones and House reruns? Yawn. I love both shows but there's only so much one can take.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 5:28 PM

I thought they were sticking Canterbury's Law in Return...'s slot.

EDIT: Yep

Canterbury's Law by Eric Liebowitz/FoxLooks like the verdict is in on Canterbury's Law. Sources confirm to TVGuide.com that after two low-rated outings on Monday night, Fox is banishing the Julianna Margulies-led courtroom drama to Friday nights, beginning March 28. The show's already seen the last of its unhappy Mondays.

Since the show was DOA before it even aired, what would you have liked to see?

I wanted more of Sarah's PA. I really liked him and wanted to see him with a plot instead as just being a part of Sarah's.

Edited by Last Time Lord, Mar 25, 2008 @ 5:41 PM.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

Yeah, they switched it.

They were going to have Canterbury's Law, then Jezebel, but since they yanked Jezebel, now there's a Bones rerun followed by the new episode of Canterbury's Law.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

What other half-hour show were they airing with Jezebel James before they cancelled it?

JulesP

JulesP

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

I think it was 'Til Death.

I never understand not running episodes that are already paid for.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:10 AM

I've always wondered if Fox just isn't very good at making deals with advertisers -- remember earlier this year when NBC had to refund a bunch of money to advertisers because ratings were so far below promised projections? Fox either makes bad deals or is allergic to makegoods. However, it would be inexcusable if they don't offer the remaining episodes online. Some of us are masochists, but not so much that we'd buy this show on DVD.

AAnnAArchy

AAnnAArchy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 6:08 AM

Cancelled.

What a relief. I'll never have to hear that awful pronunciation of Coco ever again. It was like she was saying CowCow or something. It drove me nuts. It almost distracted me enough to not notice the nasty laugh track or the fact that ASP clearly hasn't been told that she's no longer writing for Lauren Graham. Poor Parker Posey, she didn't have a chance. Honestly, how many actors could say lines like that, other than Lauren Graham? No offense to LG, I love her (and, er, LG...just noticed that LG stands for Lorelai Gilmore too - it's taken all these seasons of GG, I'm quick, yes sirree), but her quick wit and ability to speak a mile a minute are much the same as Lorelai's. Parker Posey, on the other hand, not so much. Lauren Ambrose was okay on the show, but not enough to save it for me, even if it hadn't been mercifully cancelled.

I thought that I couldn't hate anything that ASP had written, but then I realized...she created April. This was a whole show based on the ability to write something that seemed so forced and was so uncomfortable to watch.

It was such a speedy end to something I'd looked forward to for so very long.

Ta-Ta, CowCow. May the next ASP character creations be as well-written as LG/RG/EG (& all of Stars Hollow for that matter) and the acting as well-suited for the writing as all three Gilmore Girls.

[Edited to make sense -AA]

Edited by AAnnAArchy, Mar 26, 2008 @ 6:29 AM.

DifficultKind

DifficultKind

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

While this was certainly not the best show around, I am a little bummed that it has already been cancelled. The scene in the doctor's office last week when PP plowed through the door and shouted "Ceau-Ceau, it's meeeee," had me in stitches. I don't know why, but I found that scene absolutely hysterical.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 3:38 PM

For whatever it's worth (less even than usual, I'm sure), I think there's a difference between writing in a limited style, and failing (or refusing) to write to a performer's strengths. If Amy Sherman-Palladino was writing a new character and had either Lauren Graham or Lorelai Gilmore (hey, I never noticed until now that both have the initials "LG", either! D'oh.) too much in mind, the fault is hers: it shows a certain a lack of range. If a writer has the opportunity or inclination to write to a particular performer's strengths, it can be very fruitful. I don't think a writer has any obligation to do so, however, unless she or he wishes it.

Edited by Sandman, Mar 27, 2008 @ 3:09 PM.

MiniDriver

MiniDriver

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 6:44 AM

I thought Parker would have been better cast as the Kooky Free Spirit. It just seemed weird to have a no-nonsense free spirit and a kooky type-a.

apgold

apgold

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 4:27 PM

Wow, so the episode I saw taped will never be shown? I wonder if Hulu.com will be showing the remaining four episodes online. They have the first three, if anyone's interested.

http://www.hulu.com/...f Jezebel James

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2008 @ 5:05 PM

Also, missed this: How does an editor create a book series?

Happens all the time, especially in children's and YA lit. My current favorite YA books, the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison, came about not because Louise Rennison had the idea herself but because a children's book editor saw a newspaper essay she'd written and asked if she'd like to write this series of books written as diary entries by a 14-year-old girl. (Rennison says the essay, which later appeared as an incident in one of the Georgia Nicolson books, had suggested to the editor that she was self-absorbed enough to write believably as a 14-year-old!)

MKX

MKX

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 5:00 AM

I was really dissapointed with this, I like Parker Posey and thought she'd know better than to attach her name to this trainwreck.

I never understand not running episodes that are already paid for.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that even though networks have already financed the production of the show they must also pay hefty royalties to the studio when each episode airs. When ratings fall to a point where the income from ad revenues is less than the royalties to air the episode they'll make a loss by airing the episode, so it doesn't make sense commercially for the network to air any more episodes.

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 6:25 PM

Hulu does have the other 4 episodes now.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2010 @ 3:37 AM

I can't sleep, so I thought I'd finally check this show out, a couple of years too late.

Jesus Christ, you people weren't kidding. For the first scene of the pilot, I honestly thought we were going to get a reveal that PP's character was working on a shitty sitcom.

I like Parker Posey's work in general, but she was the worst possible fit EVER for this role. Absolutely no emotion when explaining to her sister that she can't have a baby.

It's frustrating, even now - this show should have been good.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2010 @ 12:42 PM

Granted, I just watched the pilot episode, but it really didn't seem as bad as I would have thought.

To me, the worst part was the attempt to fit this into the 30-minute traditional sitcom structure. The laugh track was so obviously a machine, as opposed to a studio audience, and it was in the way. There weren't really "jokes" here to justify having the machine in place.

As far as envisioning Lauren Graham, I agree that Parker didn't need to be so fast. No one really did. Perhaps it's considered her signature style, but everyone was going too fast with their dialogue, trying ever so hard to be clever. Previous comments don't give the impression that it gets better, but it could have been much worse.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2010 @ 3:39 AM

I had forgotten about this show until I was looking through the threads again.

Absolutely no emotion when explaining to her sister that she can't have a baby.

Yeah, but isn't that a little bit Parker Posey's thing? I've seen her in a lot of movies and the "matter-of-fact/don't mess with me/don't you get how cool I am because I look like I don't give a crap and I'm going to get what I want anyway" thing comes up a lot in her films. Of course typing that makes me wonder why I love her movies so much, but I do. Also, she doesn't seem capable of showing emotion above the nose. She's kind of like Ally Sheedy in that way.

Ah, the 90's. I was so young.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

Agreed that that is kind of how she does everything, but to me it's just another bit of the argument that she was a bad choice for the role. I mean, I never bought that she cared about her infertility. Or, really, about anything. Which works in many situations, but given the entire premise of the show...meh. Didn't work for me.