ACTOR: Ed Helms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

93 replies to this topic

pyewackett

pyewackett

Couch Potato

• Interests:the office!

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

I didn't see a thread here for Ed Helms, so here we go. The Ed Thread!

interestingname

interestingname

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

Ed, you are in every way amazing, and I am SO glad you will be sticking around in Scranton!

I think Ed Helms has been an awesome addition to the show this year - he was the best thing about Stamford, and his utterly awkward and crazy attempts to infiltrate the Scranton team were hilarious to watch. Already had a tremendous amount of respect for him from the Daily Show, but it really shows his talent, that he's been able to so completely meld into The Office world. It can be really challenging to introduce new major characters without totally throwing the cast chemistry off balance, but Ed Helms has definitely made it happen here.

And he sings! In practically every episode!

SisterAngela

SisterAngela

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 11:02 PM

I have a surprisingly big crush on this man. Whenever I want a laugh, I just think of his appearance on Conan and his Yanni sing-a-long. "He is prancing...his unicorn prance!"

Here's a clip!

edo518

edo518

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

I have a surprisingly big crush on this man.

Me tooo! I used to be "enh" on Andy but man has Ed Helms made me love him. Especially since The Merger. So he's definately back for next season? Yippee!

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

You guys should really check out his band's website. At the bottom, there's a link to a song written by Ed with him on lead vocals. It is really beautiful. The other songs that I've listened to on their site and their MySpace page aren't bad, but that one is definitely the best.

donita

donita

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

I think Ed Helms as Andy was a good addition to the show. He is funny and I love his smile- when he smiles his whole face lits up.
His Yanni sing-a-long was funny also "He is eating... his unicorn food!" haha

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 1:06 AM

Does anyone else think that he sounds like Adam Sandler when he's singing the Yanni song? LOL.

PenguinJammies

PenguinJammies

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 6:22 AM

At the bottom, there's a link to a song written by Ed with him on lead vocals. It is really beautiful. The other songs that I've listened to on their site and their MySpace page aren't bad, but that one is definitely the best.

"All Gone to Hell" is a beautiful song. It's on active rotation on my ipod.

pyewackett

pyewackett

Couch Potato

• Interests:the office!

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 6:38 AM

Haha I hadn't seen that Conan interview before. Thats hilarious. Its interesting how similar Ed's mannerisms are to Andy's. His facial expressions and head movements transfer when he's playing Andy.

I found a site where you can see some clips of Ed on the Daily Show. When it loads, type "Ed Helms" in the search box on the top of the page.

Edited by pyewackett, May 14, 2007 @ 6:40 AM.

Bubbaloni

Bubbaloni

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 7:04 AM

Oh, I love Ed Helms! One of my favorite Daily Show bits is where he interviews the owner of the Pink Taco restaurant. "Was it always your dream to open a vagina-themed restaurant?"

lockiecharms

lockiecharms

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

Ed Helms is one of my favorite actors, like, ever. I love him on the Office but I really miss him on the Daily Show. The episode where he came back and explained his absence by "going undercover" was dawesome.

mg714

mg714

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

Glad to finally see a thread dedicated to Ed Helms! Count me in as having a huge crush on him as well. He has a great sense of humor and is musically talented! Perfect! ;)

I didn't watch the Daily Show regularly before, so I had no idea who he was when I heard he was joining The Office. I was initially resistent to any new people joining the show, but I have since come to love Andy as part of The Office crew. I'm so glad they made him a regular cast member.

It looks like he has a great career ahead of him. I'm really looking forward to that movie he'll be making with Judd Apatow, too!

Edited by mg714, May 14, 2007 @ 11:41 AM.

hello kitty

hello kitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

Ed Helms has been one of the few bright spots in season three for me. He is usually the best part of the episodes. I love him.

really91

really91

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 12:01 PM

Ed was my all-time favorite Daily Show correspondent (yes, even more than Colbert or Carell or Corddry - he had me at the Arizona gun bill piece a few years ago). He always had this willingness to make an absolute ass of himself that I found so charming. I love the fact that he turned out to be such a great addition to my other favorite show. Andy is over-the-top obnoxious most of the time, but Ed has given him enough of a human quality that you can't help but feel sorry for him sometimes. I'm impressed by that, because I don't think every actor could manage it.

When he joined the cast, I wondered if my Krasinski crush would eclipse my Helms crush - surprisingly, it's turned out to be the other way around. But really, between those two and B.J. Novak and then flipping over to Jensen Ackles on Supernatural, I pretty much spend my Thursday nights giggling like a schoolgirl.

lockiecharms

lockiecharms

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 11:39 PM

really, I agree with you about liking him over the big C's (as they are known around my dorm room). Something about the way he talks just makes me laugh, even when what he's saying isn't all that funny. I don't think that Rob Corddry was ever that funny during his interview pieces, but he was great as the "senior Redsoxologist" or whatever they had him do in front of the green screen. He did a good job on This Week in God, too.

Carell has just been so much funnier in so many other things that I don't really appreciate him that much on the Daily Show. Same with Colbert now that he's on the Report. I have to say, Colbert is the number one guy that I'm hoping does a guest spot on The Office...although maybe Will Arnett would be good, too.

Edited by lockiecharms, May 14, 2007 @ 11:39 PM.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2007 @ 11:53 PM

There was a time when I had memorized piece he did on The Daily Show about a bill allowing for guns in bars.

"What if a bear walks into a bar and you're unarmed?"

"That was until I called everyone in the bar a bunch of pussies. If only I brought my gun"

aggiegirl2213

aggiegirl2213

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 12:34 AM

although maybe Will Arnett would be good, too.

Oh my gosh, my life would be complete and I'd die!

Move over John Krasinski because Ed Helms is taking your place....well, ya'll can share the top spot, I'm not complaining. ;) Ed Helms seems like such a southern gentleman and that is an excellent quality in my book. From reading fan encounters he always seems so approachable and willing to just chat. I used to hate Andy because he was too over the top but now "Andy-Drew" is the highlight of most episodes. Especially Beach Games. I was laughing so hard at him that I couldn't hear anything else going on in the episode! It's so great to see how Ed handles post-anger management Andy. You can see his conflict of trying to remain calm so clearly on his face!

I adore Ed Helms! So glad he's a full-time cast member now!

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

Move over John Krasinski because Ed Helms is taking your place....well, ya'll can share the top spot, I'm not complaining.

TWSS!

Hee.

Spicy Curry

Spicy Curry

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 5:19 AM

I love Ed Helms! I seriously think Andy is one of the funniest characters on the show now.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 7:33 AM

Funny story. My two best friends and I went to see The Daily Show in March over our spring breaks (they were the same week). Anyway, when you walk into the building, you have to go into this hallway/lobby thing first before you get into the actual studio (which is not nearly as big as it looks on TV). And in that area, they had these really large poster/banner things hanging of certain correspondents, and the weird part was that Ed was one of them. I was like, "I know he left the show. They must have really liked him or something." I'm pretty sure that two of the others (there were either three or four of these) were Samantha Bee (I'm actually quite certain she was one of them) and Rob Corddry (who is also no longer there; again weird). So I've officially seen a larger than life Ed.

Trikywu

Trikywu

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 8:39 AM

I tried to find a place to post this link the other day, but when I sifted through the forum, I noticed that no one had created a thread for Ed Helms. Now that one exists - here it is....a really funny video that Ed did for Will Ferrell's website funnyordie.com. It's called "Zombie American". ENJOY!!!

http://www.funnyordi...6d1fdba7ea13237

Edited by Trikywu, May 15, 2007 @ 8:40 AM.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

• Interests:The Braves, other sports, TV, nicknames, Mountain Dew, and puppies.

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 7:26 AM

Ed Helms is the sole reason The Office became Must See TV for me. When I caught the tail end of "The Convict", when Andy was singing "The Ainbow-ray Onnection-cay" to Pam, that's when I said, "Okay, I have to watch next week." I haven't looked back since. :)

Edited by RainIsBeautiful, May 15, 2007 @ 9:25 AM.

HooDoll

HooDoll

Video Archivist

• Interests:As far as TV goes: 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, Project Runway, Arrested Development, So You Think You Can Dance?, Spaced, Three Sheets, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, X-Files, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The People's Court, Judge Judy, PTI, SportsCenter

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 7:57 AM

I'm not actually sure the Zombie American short was made specifically for a website; I saw it at the 2006 (or 2005 maybe?) Boston Independent Film Festival. Trikyuw, I'm glad you're directing people to it. However, when Ed joined TO, I honestly keep seeing his zombie face for the first 2-3 eps he was in -- freaked me out!

mg714

mg714

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 10:20 AM

You're right HooDoll, Ed and Nick Poppy made this film in 2005. It's hilarious, though of course I don't expect anything less than that from Ed Helms. Also, I think Ed wrote and played the music in this short as well. He's definitely multi-talented!

By the way, on the homepage of the Funny or Die website, Will Ferrell wrote up a small blurb about Zombie-American and Ed:

Ed Helms in Zombie American - One of the best pieces we've had yet. There's two more chapters and I'm happy about that. I like Ed Helms. Whenever we meet there's crazy chemistry. Not quite gay but really damn close.

Edited by mg714, May 15, 2007 @ 12:23 PM.

Trikywu

Trikywu

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2007 @ 12:26 PM

I'm not actually sure the Zombie American short was made specifically for a website; I saw it at the 2006 (or 2005 maybe?) Boston Independent Film Festival. Trikyuw, I'm glad you're directing people to it. However, when Ed joined TO, I honestly keep seeing his zombie face for the first 2-3 eps he was in -- freaked me out!

Well - whatever. But it's hilarious nonetheless.

tvguru94

tvguru94

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 5:45 PM

From reading fan encounters he always seems so approachable and willing to just chat.

This was definitely my experience. I was able to meet several cast members in the green room after the Paley festival, and though they were all friendly and great, he actually engaged me in conversation for a few minutes, and I walked away very impressed. And also thinking, has he always been that hot? I know actors hate to hear they're better looking in person, but in his case, it's true.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2007 @ 6:41 AM

I know actors hate to hear they're better looking in person

Why? I would love to hear that! Although, I'm not an actor...

Here's a great article that I read about Ed a while ago.

tvguru94

tvguru94

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 12:24 PM

Let us know about Sat night, eyegypt!

I know actors hate to hear they're better looking in person

Why? I would love to hear that! Although, I'm not an actor...

I've heard a few mention they don't love that comment. I'm assuming because they make their living on screen, and they'd like to look their best on screen where most viewers see them. But I find 3-D is usually going to be better than 2-D.

Bailey08

Bailey08

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2007 @ 4:59 PM

I went to Ed's show on Saturday night. He was a puppet the whole time, but that didn't stop me from falling in love.

Truthfully, my love officially started with the Rainbow Connection moment and grew a little with Rockin' Robin. But now it is full blown love.

He is a great comedian.

halfbaked

halfbaked

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

from Variety:

Drama, comedy dark horse Emmy contenders
Actors who may be in the nomination mix

Ed Helms, "The Office": As anger-managing Cornell grad Andy Bernard, Helms would shift from obsequiousness to obstinacy on a moment's notice, generating laughs either way.