Journeyman: Time Traveling Fun

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2267 replies to this topic

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2008 @ 9:45 AM

I know nothing about DirecTV, except that I don't have it. However, if a show went to DirecTV, can you eventually rent it on DVD from Netflix? I'd take it, if I could get a little more Journeyman. The show doesn't seem like it has a huge budget, so I a holding out hope it would be possible to do this way.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 12:40 PM

Man, Moon Bloodgood can't escape sci-fi or time travel roles, can she?

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 7:48 PM

I am so glad that TWoP has been pimping Hulu. I never would have found out this interesting little fact. There are full episodes of many television shows there. Just for giggles, I checked out the J listings.

All 13 full episodes of Journeyman are on Hulu.

HULU ROCKS!

I just thought I'd share : - )

ETA

I just finished watching the pilot again, and I fell in love all over again. You do have to watch commercials, but only 30 second ones. You do have to sign up to watch the episodes, and I don't know how many times you can watch them for free. Hell, even once is good enough for me.

Sigh. That moment when Dan hands Katie the ring-I so love that.

Edited by mustbekarma, Apr 21, 2008 @ 8:42 PM.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

• Interests:So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Fringe, Comic Book Men, Alphas, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, Castle, Switched at Birth, Survivor, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Dexter, True Blood, Torchwood, and cancelled shows like: BTVS, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, Smallville, Wonder Woman, Black Adder, Reaper, the 4400, Coupling (UK) Pushing Daisies, Heroes, and many more.

Posted Apr 23, 2008 @ 11:58 AM

You can get the eps on Amazon for 1.99 apiece: http://www.amazon.co...7...9827&sr=8-1

LA Don

LA Don

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 12:38 AM

Does anyone know if the loose ends were ever wrapped-up somewhere? Like maybe a blog or perhaps a short story somewhere that explained everything?

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

Just caught a story on E or something about shows racing possible cancellation and how they are likely to have a better chance than they would in other seasons because of the writers' strike and I just cannot believe that that Angel/First Knight ripoff Moonlight has a chance, and Journeyman doesn't. There's no accounting for taste I guess. I know it's not new, but it still galls.

MrHaha

MrHaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

Charles Henry Wyson (Zack) was on Lost this week, playing John Locke at age 5. I barely recognized him.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 2:45 PM

I saw Made of Honor. While I didn't like the movie much at all, I thought that Kevin McKidd did a good job and it was interesting to hear his real accent.

I also recently got Daybreak on DVD, with Moon Bloodgood for only $20 on Amazon.com. I noticed I can't seem to find a Daybreak thread on TWOP anymore though. Watching all of Daybreak gave me a slight break from missing Journeyman but then made me want Journeyman on DVD all the more.

MrHaha

MrHaha

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 3:49 PM

So I had this weird dream last night where I was talking to a co-worker, and I looked over behind her back, only to see two more copies of her farther down the hall, apparently arguing about whether they should intervene. Realizing that the co-worker must have been a time traveler, I ran to try to catch up as both of them bolted for the door. When I caught up to one of them, I demanded to know what was causing me and her and others to experience these jumps through time, and her response was something like, "I can't tell you or the network will fire me!" I was really bummed about this, so I let her go, and then a second later, I thought, "But wait, they canceled Journeyman, so it's OK! You can tell me!"

And I forgot how the rest of it went. Apparently, six months after it went off the air, Journeyman is still in my subconscious.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 4:43 PM

Aliasscape, the DayBreak thread is here.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 7:36 PM

Oh that would explain it. I was searching for it in Scifi and it's in dramas. I also was spelling it as one word. Thanks.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2008 @ 6:52 AM

New interview with creator Kevin Falls. Even though the article suggests a lot of things, I'm still not satisfied.

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2008 @ 8:57 PM

Interesting interview. I totally expected Dan would come back to a radically changed reality. I’d love to read a fanfic with that theme, or really any Journeyman fanfic. In a way I think the episodes we got were just so awesome, I feel like the show ended at the right time.

I loved the intersection of the characters' relationships. Not the "love triangle" that some critics persisted in calling it, but rather as adults with a lot of history, knowing what they want and trying hold onto it amidst rushing waves of difficulty. In many ways, this is a show about growing up. Not about getting through puberty or "finding yourself" or any of the cliched paths to adulthood, but rather about reconciling the image you have of your life to the reflections you see around you.

Awesome analysis.

I also think Journeyman was about finding resolution and peace of sorts. In the pilot virtually every character was conflicted and confused about their relationships. Dan was still clearly conflicted over Livia’s death, Livia had isolated herself off from non-mission human contact, Katie felt that she was sloppy seconds to deadLivia, Jack still had the what if feelings for Katie. Dan/Jack’s relationship seemed permanently strained.

I think via the time traveling and the way the time traveling affected the entire family, the characters all had to confront their issues and examine who they were and deal with their very complicated relationships.

Dan’s time traveling really allowed him and those around him to move past issues that had clearly been haunting them for years. Dan got to let Livia go, Livia reconnected with Dan which seemed to help her reconnect to life via a new love, Katie recognized that Dan really, truly wanted to be with her and was fully committed to their family, Jack was able to let go of his conflictions and be there for his brother again.

In terms of the love triangle argument honestly I feel like critics missed the entire point of the series. I think Falls is right critics kept harping on a love triangle when IMHO the love triangle was really resolved in the pilot. Dan saw how Katie looked at him during the engagement party and pretty much decided on her then and there.

The DVD news is really incredibly disappointing. I actually think the 13 episode arc works like an extended miniseries, and because there is a good closure the DVD would be very marketable.

Falls’ new show doesn’t sound like my cup of tea, and I do wish he’d stop shows so close to other works. That said the guy created a fantastic show in Journeyman and I’m more than willing to tune in to his new show and see if its a tenth as good. The guy has earned a lot of good will from me.

kricka

kricka

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

I was recently indulging in some season two The West Wing, and every time Kevin Falls' name showed up in the credits, I yelled "KEVIN FALLS!!". Needless to say, my friend who was watching with me wanted to know what the hell was wrong with me.

I appreciate the link to that interview, Aliasscape. I guess I will have to be happy with watching Journeyman on hulu.com for now... which I did just last night... *sigh*

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

Life is just so fucking unfair. Of all the shows Kevin McKidd could end up on, why, oh, why, did it have to be this fucking show?

GREY’S ANATOMY (ABC, Sept. 25) So many questions here: Will Derek (a k a McDreamy) return from that season-ending walk and settle down with Meredith? Are Alex and Izzie for real this time? Will Cristina finally buy another ticket in the hookup sweepstakes? That last question will apparently be settled by the addition of Kevin McKidd (“Journeyman”) for an extended run as the latest randy doctor on the Seattle Grace staff.

I hate Grey's Anatomy. I really, really do. I want Journeyman back. Stupid fucking medical soap operas that fucking suck out loud! Of course, anybody who loves Grey's Anatomy is in for a treat. blows raspberries

IntoTheMystic

IntoTheMystic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 2:40 AM

Really, mustbekarma, you shouldn't repress like that. It's unhealthy.

eta: Dammit! I gave up on Grey's after the second season heart fiasco. I had no idea they'd find a way to suck me back in.

Edited by IntoTheMystic, Sep 8, 2008 @ 2:42 AM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 6:58 PM

Really, mustbekarma, you shouldn't repress like that. It's unhealthy.

eta: Dammit! I gave up on Grey's after the second season heart fiasco. I had no idea they'd find a way to suck me back in.

I love Kevin McKidd, but I don't love him that much. I don't love anybody that much. Besides, Supernatural is on at the same time. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki will just have to console me. As to rage, it's like many things in life, better out than in!

kricka

kricka

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2008 @ 5:27 PM

I love Kevin McKidd, but I don't love him that much. I don't love anybody that much.

I totally agree. I actually made an audible noise when I read the news. It was of the negative kind. There is not much that I hate more that Grey's Anatomy.

*goes off to hulu to watch Journeyman*

BluWacky

BluWacky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

I assume there's no news on a DVD release for Journeyman at all? Thinking about My Own Worst Enemy's poor ratings made me remember how much I loved this show, and even just rewatching that beautiful opening sequence made me ridiculously nostalgic - the show's short enough that I'd be more than happy to spring for DVDs without even the promise of extras.

CheshrKat

CheshrKat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 12:19 PM

I miss this show, and what could have been. From a Kevin McKidd interview in TVGuide online:

http://www.tvguide.c...in-1000004.aspx

TVGuide.com: Do you know any small secret from the show's mythology that never had a chance to be revealed?

McKidd: You think that each episode was just a procedural story with somebody that Dan helped. But all of these people had been specifically chosen by whatever power was at play to be knocked into their correct paths so they can all be at a certain place in their life when Dan's son, Zach, is revealed to have his own certain power. Each one of these people needed to be in a certain place, in government or research or whatever, to come back and help the boy achieve something of global significance. I thought that was very interesting.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 7:01 PM

Oh man, what a crime that this show didn't get more time. I never would have seen that twist coming. And it would have been a great one.

kricka

kricka

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 3:32 PM

Oh man! That makes me all cranky all over again. That, and the fact that there is no way I could ever bring myself to watch GA to get my McKidd fix....

Bob War

Bob War

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2008 @ 5:24 PM

Don't even bother, Kricka. I tried to watch this past week, and while it was great to see Kevin (and he was awesome) the rest of it was just awful. Iz and Denny... again... just... no.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 6:10 PM

Oh, man, I hope this rumor is true, but I also dread it. You'll know what I mean after clicking on the link.

Mind you, it's an old article that I found on the Highlander forum. I squeed like a fangirl. I am so embarassed.

Edited by mustbekarma, Dec 4, 2008 @ 6:11 PM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

Since they are putting out the canceled series "My Own Worst Enemy" on dvd, what do you think the chances are we might get a "Journeyman" dvd?

AlivePreferably

AlivePreferably

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2009 @ 4:07 PM

It's not clear to me how this works, but on Amazon, you can sign up to be notified when Journeyman is available on DVD. I don't know if they track the numbers to determine production or if the DVD is already in production, but it may be worth it to sign up.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

Since they are putting out the canceled series "My Own Worst Enemy" on dvd, what do you think the chances are we might get a "Journeyman" dvd?

Short answer: If we didn't get the DVD's within one year after the show was cancelled, then I think the chances are fairly low.

Long answer: The two shows were actually produced by separate production companies -- Journeyman: 20th Century Fox Television (IMDb). Worst Enemy: Universal Media Studio (IMDb #2). So, the decision to release MOWE was done by a completely different corporation. Journeyman's company, 20th Century, also has not released Rebecca Romijn's Pepper Dennis (13 episodes on The WB) and Standoff (18 episodes on Fox), among others.

If I had to guess, I suspect that 20th Century has a higher profit threshold for DVD releases. I don't think that any music rights or such are the hold up.

Even, six-episode Canterbury's Law, which aired on Fox, but was produced by Sony Pictures, is getting a DVD release.

It's not clear to me how this works, but on Amazon, you can sign up to be notified when Journeyman is available on DVD. I don't know if they track the numbers to determine production or if the DVD is already in production, but it may be worth it to sign up.

I doubt Amazon does anything with the numbers, and efforts would likely be better directed by writing to 20th Century Fox Television and/or Fox Home Video, which does the DVD distribution for Fox-produced TV shows.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2009 @ 4:59 PM

Some FYI's:

Reed Diamond (Jack Vasser) is a series regular on Josh Whedon's Dollhouse, which premieres this Friday @ 9pm on Fox.

The only other major cast shift is that the Dollhouse head of security, Laurence Dominic (played by Reed Diamond), who was written just for the now-defunct first ep, has stuck like fly-paper, and Reed is very much in the family for the present. (Most of my problems seem to involve my actors making themselves indispensable. This is the good problem kind.)

(From whedonesque.com)

Moon Bloodgood (Livia) has a supporting role in the feature film, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (where Kristin Kreuk plays the titular character). That premieres on February 27th.

Edited by ScribblerGuy, Feb 8, 2009 @ 5:00 PM.

bimbo du jour

bimbo du jour

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

on Amazon, you can sign up to be notified when Journeyman is available on DVD.

In my experience, Amazon doesn't do this unless there is actually going to be a DVD. Since the episodes are available for download, I don't think it's a big leap to put them on DVD (but I'm not very technical, so what do I know).

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

Journeyman made EW's list of shows canceled too soon. How right they are although I do believe they're incorrect about the writer's strike killing the show. I think NBC's refusal to promote it is what killed it. It was one of the least promoted shows I've ever seen. Even the plum spot post Heroes when it was still mostly in it's heydey can't help a show nobody knows is on.

But ultimately I blame David Caruso and his orange skin, hands on hip stances and sunglasses. I don't know what people see in that show, LOL

Anywho, back on topic.... source: 26 TV Faves Canceled too soon