Louis Van Amstel: Squee! It's Louis!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

377 replies to this topic

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

The problem with Louis coming back next season is: in lieu of who? Tony, Maks, Derek and Mark are all pretty much locks, and all the buzz Tristan has generated will mean they'll want to have him back too. So that leaves Val, whom I would say was vulnerable, except for the Maks connection. So who do you bump for Louis?

EJpants

EJpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I think that Louis has a chance to come back, only if there is a perfect partner that is in need of a personality/height, etc. such as Louis'. Since Tristan joined this season and, in my opinion, was partnered with someone who I could definitely see being partnered with Louis in the past, I think Louis' seasons are numbered.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

That's a good point. Nancy Grace is only 5'2" while Tristan is 6' or so. Carrie Ann even remarked that one of their problems was the height difference. And now they've got Val as well - and I think they were sort of featuring Sasha Farber more than the younger boys in the troupe - and he's about Louis' height. He has all those signature flips and other acrobatic moves. Wonder what Louis thinks of them hiring another shorty who's getting close to 30 so if they're ever gonna have him move up to a celeb partner, I'd think it would be sooner rather than later. (And he was in Burn the Floor for multiple seasons, like both Tristan and Peta.)

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Louis, we miss you love. Please come back?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

No wonder he hasn't been back lately. He's gotten so catty and jealous with some of his remarks.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I'm surprised Louis isn't part of the Vegas DWTS show.
The live show, directed by Amy Tinkham and choreographed by Australian sensation Jason Gilkison, kicks off a 12-week run beginning Saturday, April 14.

IRRC Louis been part of (all?) the DWTS shows in the past.

Edited by ImSoDizzy, Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:19 PM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

That's very interesting. That hadn't occurred to me, but you're right. He was involved with all their tours, back when they did them. Hmmm. A few seasons ago, "Burn the Floor", directed by Gilkison, became such a focus for DWTS producers. First they brought on Damian Whitewood from the show. But then followed Tristan, Peta, Sasha, Sharna, Henry - and they had Jason Gilkison choreograph a few numbers for DWTS, as well. And now this.

I do think Louis been too un-diplomatic about a few things he's said. Yikes. He even said he was the one who basically talked Gladys into doing the show, yet when she's been asked, she's never mentioned Louis. She says that she had several friends who have done the show, she's been to watch it, and 'they' talked her into it (the friends who were ON the show.) Well, I guess that could include Louis but it doesn't sound like it. And she's had nothing but extravagant praise for Tristan as a teacher.

I wish he'd shut up with the catty remarks. They're making me hate him.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

ImSoDizzy, I think Louis choreographed all of the tours until the last one, which Maks choreographed. I don't think Louis was involved in that tour at all.

I can imagine of a couple of possible reasons why Louis might not be involved in the Vegas show. Perhaps he doesn't feel like it's worth giving up LaBlast for or he didn't want to be in the show if he didn't choreograph it. I seem to recall he and Carrie Ann choreographed one of the tours together and there were stories that it did not go well at all. There was even a rumor that the fights were so bad it resulted in Louis being left out of a season or two until a celebrity requested him. I would think they wouldn't offer him the chance to choreograph a big stage show again, but this is speculation based on a rumor, so I could be wildly off base.

He seems open with info on twitter. Maybe he'll spill why he's not involved. I would assume he was asked to participate in some capacity.

At least Louis will be back on DWTS this Monday. I like Louis and I miss his presence on the show.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I didn't know Louis was coming back Monday! What's he doing - dancing or choreography (or both)? That makes me think he's still in the mix and may be back again with a partner. Who knows? For some reason, I'm feeling that neither Sasha nor Henry (both similar height as Louis) may make the cut, though they sure showcase Sasha's flips a lot.

Maybe I'm wrong - they're great showy dancers, but not jaw-droppingly handsome or anything - and Damian, Dmitry, and Tristan ARE (and Val's Maks' bro). It seems like it takes a lot now to break into the celeb-partnered group - and really really tough to get a try-out if you're not gorgeous. I realize that's subjective and some may think they're handsome enough, but I don't.

And I do think it's relevant to Louis - if the short guys in the troupe are up for promotion, that doesn't bode well for Louis. There's only so many short women per season. But if they're not, then he could well be back on board in a future season.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:22 PM.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Thanks DotsAndStripes. I will be happy to see Louis on Monday as well :))

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

I was a week off. Louis will be back week 5, not this Monday.

sunshine217

sunshine217

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Louis so happy your paired with Sabrina. I can't wait to see what choreography u have in store for Sabrina. You have been one of my favorite pros.Given you and Sabrina are underdogs yet I'm excited to see what u come up with for her dances.After, watching more videos of you with Karina and other partners I'm glad your back.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Ugghh!! I hate this pairing. These are the two most desperate people you could ever get!

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

When even Louis thinks you need to tone it down, you need to tone it down. I thought the confessional was funny. I don't think he was kidding, either. Sabrina's dancing verged on manic.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:13 PM.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I know they've already been eliminated, but I loved when Louis was breaking down the choreography for Sabrina this week when he said, "It's a push, but not a hard push. More reluctant. You don't WANT to go; you have to go." Paraphrasing of course.

He struck me as a kind man.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

I've wondered if this will be Louis' last season. He wasn't cast for the prior two seasons and only got on All Stars at the last second.

Louis put it all out there for All Stars. I was amazed at the choreography he did for Sabrina. If he doesn't get cast again then at least he's going out on a high note.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

He should still choreograph that fusion dance (which one did they get) for Sabrina to dance with him in this season's finale.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:28 AM

Louis is reuniting with Julie Fryer for Dance Legends the 13th of april in New York. Julie is a 3 times World Latin champion. Louis flew over to Holland to rehearse a few weeks ago. Louis has said that he's retiring from active dance. Not dwts of course, but he probably won't be doing professional performances like Dance Legends again.

Wonderful video of Julie and Louis rehearsing, two old friends and dance champions reuniting one more time. Julie was Louis' first partner and they won championships long before he danced with Karina. I would love to see their Dance Legends performance. I'm hoping it will be posted.
http://www.youtube.c...hare_video_user

I found this early performance with Louis and Julie. They were incredible together. This Rumba they performed in 2004 is beautifully done. DWTS is ok for what it is, but sometimes it's easy to forget what a professional jive/cha cha is supposed to look like.

http://www.wetpaint....nners-exclusive

Dance Legends is one of the two top events in the dance world, worldwide. The top three of the World Championship are all performing in the same venue, which is very unique, because normally they would avoid each other until they get to the World Championships.

My partner, Julie Fryer, and I, who have been three time World Champions, are actually retiring from the dance world. So we're getting together for the very last time. We've been working really hard for that moment. [The show's] at the beautiful Hammerstien former opera house in New York City. It's a huge event, and it's also very special for us to say goodbye. It's going to be quite sentimental, because it's our last time.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 11, 2013 @ 1:27 AM.