Local Dance Party Shows: Put Your Records On!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2007 @ 8:07 AM

How many of us TWOP'ers are old enough to remember regional dance/music shows? Many of these sprang up around the time of American Bandstand. With the summer release of Hairspray, lots of kids will be exposed to The Corny Collins Show. What was the name of your local show? Represent!

I'll kick off with my memories of Teenage Frolics, a dance show aired on Saturdays on WRAL in Raleigh, NC in the late 1950s and early 1960s. It was hosted by J.D. Lewis Jr., an African American, and was a precursor to Soul Train. J.D. was a true pioneer; sadly, he died this year. Here's an overview of his life: Remembering J.D. Lewis

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

My dad remembers the Buddy Deane Show, which the Corny Collins Show was modeled after. It aired on WJZ in Baltimore and my dad lived in Washington at the time.

ilovebacon

ilovebacon

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2007 @ 12:26 AM

I know here in Cleveland there was a show called 'Upbeat.' Apparently it ended the year I was born, but I remember hearing about it alot. They got some pretty big acts. I found a clip of Stevie Wonder on the show here. Thank God he can't see the horrible dancing girls all around him.....

JRV

JRV

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 12:02 PM

November 4, 1957, WGN (Chicago's independent channel 9) debuted the teen dance show "Teen Club" hosted by Wally Phillips. Yes, this was the local WGN that is now the super-station WGN on many cable systems.

Mr. Shanks

Mr. Shanks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

I remember back in 95, there was this show on Chicago's WCIU station (channel 26) called "U Dance with B96".

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 1:12 PM

I seem to remember a syndicated show during the mid to late eighties called MV3, which I think was originated outta LA. Early Bangles were on, The Plugz (before they became The Cruzados), some other punk bands and new wave stuff. Played videos and had the dance thing going on. Lame hosts, but fun.

I wept when American Bandstand went to a half hour from an hour.

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 6:27 PM

My memory was "Disco Step by Step", filmed at Club 747 in Buffalo, hosted by Curt May (who later appeared on "All My Children" as Bryan Saunders). Ah, the fashions, the hair, the videotaped performances (because who'd really come to Buffalo?).

I was so excited the one time I went there as a 13-year-old on a teen night...on a blind date with my mom's coworker's daughter. Picture a skinny white boy and a big black girl on the floor dancing to songs such as "Get Off" or "In the Bush". (I wonder if she realized she was a fag hag that night.)

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 4:23 AM

I seem to remember a syndicated show during the mid to late eighties called MV3, which I think was originated outta LA. Early Bangles were on, The Plugz (before they became The Cruzados), some other punk bands and new wave stuff. Played videos and had the dance thing going on. Lame hosts, but fun

It ran in Northern California, too. I think the host was a DJ for KROQ is Los Angeles...and actually had a cameo on "Square Pegs". It was actually more interesting than MTV back then.

butheircousins

butheircousins

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2007 @ 6:06 AM

In Philadelphia/NJ we had Dancin on Air which later became Dance Party USA (on the USA network) and of course, everyone knows that Kelly Ripa got her start on Dance Party. Dancin on Air was a huge deal back in the 80's and if you were cool and knew someone you could get on the show. Many of the kids became local stars. Pretty heady stuff for a teen in any of the local high schools.