Top Design: A Lot Like Top Chef But Not Good

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

894 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Apr 30, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

A place to continue the Top Design talk. The archives are here.

aleeshie

aleeshie

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

I think the thread title sums up the show perfectly.

Edited by aleeshie, May 1, 2007 @ 3:58 PM.

yesman6764

yesman6764

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2007 @ 7:31 PM

I started out liking TD, but lost interest around the dorm-room challenge.
(I had a similar experience with TAR:AS after I left for a vacation, but that's a whole 'nother thread)

Anyone know if there'll be a TD2?
I doubt I'd watch it though, as I plan to leave behind Bravo reality competitions when Shear Genius wraps up its current run.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2007 @ 12:13 AM

Alas, I found this show too late to get in on the fun forum talk. Caught up in some kind of marathon.

I liked it more than the average TwoP viewer (would admit to liking). Plenty of potential to watch and snark in an uninvested way. The world needs more of those kinds of shows. So, yeah, I'd watch a series 2.

Sesana

Sesana

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2007 @ 7:45 AM

Eh, I took it off my tivo as soon as the finale aired. I wanted to see who won, but I didn't care to watch it ever again. Now that I've said this, they'll come back with a season two that's so much better it'll make me regret it. Such is life.

keke23

keke23

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

I guess I'm in the minority because I actually prefered this to Top Chef. I think it's because I can actually see for myself what looks good and what doesn't and don't have to rely on the reactions of others to tell me if someone's dish is too salty or has great flavors.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 12:34 AM

I'd watch it again but only if people were more lively and made me want to like them. And if there aren't any evil troll bitches from Hell on there again like Carisa.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2007 @ 8:18 AM

Carisa was slightly interesting, wasn't she? On the scale of reality shows, I thought the personality wars were not too awful. Maybe I have a higher tolerance for this than is healthy.

My main problem was that I don't want to see slipshod, half-done rooms. I don't understand why the contestants were put on such time constraints. Ideally, I'd like them to have enough time to show enough of their vision that one can really compare competing ideas and styles. The part where some folks flounder --- that's not interesting to me. (I hate the terrible-auditions part of all the Idol-type shows as well.) Why is that necessary in this show? It'd be perfectly fine (in general and maybe even more so here) if everyone did their thing and at the end, some will be ugly to me and some will not. It will still be a contest even if all rooms are more or less complete.

If I were hiring any of these people, then it would be interesting to see if they can complete a job within severe time constraints. But I'm not going to hire these people. All I care about is looking at room design on tv. So all I want the show to deliver is room design on tv! I'm selfish that way. This is such a good example of adapting a format blindly without thinking through the objectives of the show anew. If that part of the contest were fixed, I think the show could be quite entertaining.

Apologies if this has been hashed out on the old thread already. Come to think of it, knowing TwoP, I'm sure it would have been. Oh well - here's another vote.

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2007 @ 7:16 PM

Well, my weekend trip to Chicago wasn't a hit (poor result at my Scrabble tournament and blowing out a tire on the way back), but I got my first brush with a reality show contestant. I went to a popular gay bar called Sidetrack on Sunday with a couple of fellow players, and I had a great time. But I was staying by the airport, so I left after midnight, and who should be at the head of the line to get in but Erik!

I didn't act all fangirly, but I did ask him if he was indeed Erik. Of course he said yes, and since he was waiting to get in I didn't want to hold him up by asking him about the show or competitions or judges. Instead I told him I wanted him to win (which I did), and he smiled and said, "So did I." He went in, and I walked away thinking he's even cuter in person...he really is!

Imagine, my first brush with reality showdom, and it's from "Top Design"?

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 7:08 AM

Mini-marathon today

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

I'm sure everyone will be riveted. ...

Edited by lindseyquinn, Jun 7, 2007 @ 8:43 AM.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 1:12 AM

Why are they even showing that dreck anymore? I read that the first quarter earnings for Bravo dipped because they bet on this show to be the next "Top Chef" and it failed.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2007 @ 4:16 AM

I'm with keke23 and justmy2cents. I did enjoy the show (perhaps because my own skills in interior design were for some time at quite the banal level and so whenever Todd talked I actually learned something)?

So I would say - More Exposition and Judge Commentary/Reasoning for Season2. Don't just say you hate it. Say WHY (although I have my own theory about visually dominant people and verbal communications, which may have been one thing the producers didn't think through.) And as for the earnings dip, perhaps they just need to do some demographic outreach. Not all of us come only for the snark (although? Snark tastes great and is less filling).

How'd the earnings do with Shear Genius?

KawaiiNeko

KawaiiNeko

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Webdesign, anime, and just having fun.

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 8:02 AM

The only thing that would get me to watch season 2 of this show is if they got rid of all three judges. To me they were the most stuck up, non-advice giving judges I've ever seen in a reality competition. I would never hire any of them to decorate my house, especially not Miss Kelly whose taste in clothes made me want to slap her silly. I think I'll just stick with "Design Star" which to me did a much better job at this type of show.

RyanCrowell

RyanCrowell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2007 @ 3:41 AM

Goil was on the new Trading Spaces special, Cast Gone Wild, being interviewed for his thoughts on the show. It was nice to see him again, for a few minutes.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

Tim Gunn's opinion on Top Design...not surprisingly, very similar to most of ours:

here

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 9:54 PM

The best part of the article culturevulture73 linked to:

"I wanted to learn something. That's why I was so eagerly awaiting the show, I was thinking: 'Well this is great. I'll learn something, we'll see all these great interiors – it was a load of crap, excuse me! And I didn't like any of them either, the designers. I couldn't stand Kelly Wearstler (one of the judges). I have to say I like Margaret Russell (editor in chief of Elle Décor magazine, and another judge) a lot, but she looked decidedly uncomfortable in that whole thing. And I love Jonathan Adler personally, but he began to grate on me, too!"

Oh, Tim Gunn, I knew I loved you.

Edited by Orion7, Sep 4, 2007 @ 9:55 PM.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

And I didn't like any of them either, the designers.

I didn't like any of the designers, either, come to think of it. Those that weren't positively loathsome (Carissa), were boring or invisible and even Goil and Andea were tedious in the end. I must disagree with Tim on one thing, though. Jonathan Adler grated from the very first.

magnolia88

magnolia88

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 4:54 PM

I'm glad to see that Tim Gunn hated that stupid "See you later, decorator" as much as the rest of us. He is a man of taste, after all.

NoirCommeMoi

NoirCommeMoi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 5:26 PM

"I wanted to learn something. That's why I was so eagerly awaiting the show, I was thinking: 'Well this is great. I'll learn something, we'll see all these great interiors...

And my love for the Gunn continues to grow. That was exactly my fundamental problem with Top Design. With Project Runway, Top Chef, etc. I've learned about clothes, clothing design, food, and cooking. I really, really wanted to pick up something about interior design from Top Design, but no. I didn't learn, I wasn't entertained...blerg. It was plainly and simply "blerg". 30 Rock fans, you know what I mean.

littlechloe

littlechloe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2007 @ 8:42 PM

I couldn't stand Kelly Wearstler

Dear Tim - you have become Gawd in my eyes. I HATED that ridiculous parody of a ridiculous self-absorbed female human. I read recently in a decorating magazine at the Dr's office a quote by Kelly Wearstler on design, something to the effect of "what's wrong with putting a marble floor in your child's playroom?". Oh. My. Freaking. Tim. Maybe the fact that within two hours of playing the kid would split his/her skull open. Maybe that's what's wrong, Kelly, you unmitigated idiot. If you had an effing clue you might be able to figure that out.

That show couldn't possibly have been any worse.

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 2:35 PM

It's back for a second season - but this time, it'll be produced by the folks that do Project Runway & Top Chef. (press release is up at thefutoncritic.com).

Maybe this time they'll, ya know, make something worth watching!

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 2:59 PM

You have got to be kidding me. What multi-millionaire in need of a failing business venture to write off is funding this dreck?

I mean ho-lee. I seriously cannot believe there are TV execs somewhere who would resurrect this. It was such a failure on so many levels, editing, casting, reviews, ratings. Except for the concept is it salvageable?

rab01

rab01

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 3:20 PM

Actually, I think the Magical Elves resurrecting it makes perfect sense. Keep Russell and Oldham; get two new judges; give the designers either more time or a second carpenter; make sure that half the designing takes place outside that weird showroom place and that competing designers are more often working in the same space (so that they're forced to interact); force the judges to explain their reasoning on camera. The Magical Elves know how to do this kind of show and the old producers clearly didn't. If the writers' strike goes on, a revamped Top Design could be one of the better shows on TV.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 6:25 PM

Actually, I think the Magical Elves resurrecting it makes perfect sense. Keep Russell and Oldham

This was the only saving grace from Season 1.

Top Design could be one of the better shows on TV.

Let's not go too far here.

I would try to cast more interesting designers. And by interesting, I mean people that have a particular point of view in their design. Those who are able to express the why and how.

And please, no drama queens.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 6:51 PM

Wow. I'd much rather see them resurrect Shear Genius than this crapfest. It got so bad that mocking Kelly Wearstler's outfits was the only reason to watch!

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

The only person I'd like to see return is Margaret, she really does seem to have a pretty decent taste and is articulate. The mentor needs to be somebody who has some screen presence and actual "mentoring" skills. Oldham seems like a great guy but his TV persona isn't exactly riveting. Someone like Kenneth Brown - only with less annoying hair and looser clothing. The strong point of his show was always his ability to explain to homeowners why something would or wouldn't work without resorting to jargon. Come to think of it, since Queer Eye's done - why not Tom? He's talented, personable and engaging.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

I think one way to maybe fix the show is to switch Adler and Oldham. I think Adler can be smart and witty, but the problem is that these shows falsely put this stupid pressure on judges to be the next Simon Cowell or outrageous and delivering the lethal snark with every sentence. Oldham would never do that and Adler on the fly forced to interact with the contestants during the work phase would provide comedy even if unintentional.

I'm hoping that the challenges are much better but Tim Gunn doesn't have much room to complain, because while the first season of this was a knock off of PR, it did follow the form of some of the sillier challenges that PR still indulges in at the expense of credibility and even entertainment for "drama"

What they should really do is declare the first season a miss and instead of calling this season two, call this Season One The Re-Do. And bring back Goil. I for one, never tired of him at all and could go a real season of the show with him involved no problem.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2007 @ 11:48 AM

And bring back Goil. I for one, never tired of him at all and could go a real season of the show with him involved no problem.

Hey, if PR brought back Daniel Franco, then I'm with you on Goil.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2007 @ 12:28 PM

Wow. I'd much rather see them resurrect Shear Genius than this crapfest.

They are.