How Should "Lost" End?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

393 replies to this topic

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 5:34 PM

I'm not convinced that the writers have given this any serious thought, so maybe we should give them some ideas!
My theory? The show will end when all the people on the island decide that they actually don't want to be rescued after all. Only then will they be given the option to leave (kind of like a Wizard of Oz type ending - the answer was there all along). We've already started to see indications of this, with Rose & Bernard, and then also with Ben's comments about how he keeps people on the island. If we look at all the other Lostaways, it really seems like they would all have a good reason to want to stay on the island forever, assuming they didn't have to worry about random monsters and irregular food supply. For starters:
Rose & Bernard: because her cancer is cured on the island.
Locke: because he can walk and he's a manly hunter on the island, not a pencil-pusher.
Sun & Jin: because if they leave, her dad and his goons will find them. Plus, maybe she has a miracle baby, too.
Sawyer & Kate: because they're both wanted for murder(s) in the real world.

John Shade

John Shade

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 6:44 PM

I haven't heard a better suggestion than one that cropped up in the Bitterness thread: Desmond timetravels/flashbacks to a point where he's in the hatch with Clancy Brown before the Lostaways showed up, and somehow manages to avoid 'causing' the crash (as he seemed to do in the first flashback we saw of him in that timeframe). The flight continues on overhead. The series' last scenes are slow camera-pans up and down the aisles of the fully intact plane, lingering on the absent dreaming faces of all these characters we have come to know over X number of years - who will now never come to know each other and have all of those adventures.

I doubt it'd be exactly like that, as the general viewer would be appalled; quite a few fantasy/scifi-enthused viewers would be, too. I think time-travel will play a large role, as the show creators are on record saying that Desmond actually time-travelled several episodes ago. And that grey-haired woman is starting to crop up everywhere.

Other clues the creators have dropped include saying that people are going to be astonished at the solution to the 'Adam and Eve' skeletons mystery - which suggests to my twitching sci-fi antennae that those skeletons will turn out to be two of the Lostaways. Desmond and Penny? Perhaps all of them will go back in time, found their own society, erect the statue etc., and turn out to be the island-born Others' ancestors. The series will turn full circle and close with some grace if it turns out to be something like that.

I think that's how Lost should end - with something meaty and satisfying (I'd find it meaty and satisfying), rather than the ambiguous dreaminess that many fear it will end in.

[Edited multiple times to reflect the spirit of the thread title: not "What is my theory?" but "How do I think Lost should end?", i.e. how would I end it if I was in charge?]

Edited by John Shade, Apr 20, 2007 @ 6:53 PM.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

Now. It should end NOW!

echokilo

echokilo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

The series' last scenes are slow camera-pans up and down the aisles of the fully intact plane, lingering on the absent dreaming faces of all these characters we have come to know over X number of years - who will now never come to know each other and have all of those adventures.

Done before, basically, on St. Elsewhere.

Edited by echokilo, Apr 20, 2007 @ 11:22 PM.

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

With a 3-hour special on how Jack got the rest of his tattoos.

Ending with Claire yelling "Mah baybee!" as Aaron turns into the Star Child from 2001, and Ben looks into the monitors to see a pullaway to the Lost Island(s) resting on a turtle's back.

Then Hurley says "That's all....dudes!" annnnnd we go BOMP. LOST.

Postkantian

Postkantian

Couch Potato

• Interests:threesomes

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 2:55 AM

quickly.

Dynec

Dynec

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 7:05 AM

I wonder which island inhabitant has only four toes on his/her foot (left? right? which one would match?). If anyone has the energy and wherewithall to survey the eps for barefoot shots, perhaps the list of candidates would be shortened -- please keep us apprised.

As for the ending, I have faith that Damon and Carlton know precisely how it'll ultimately end (give or take a few adjustments for network-appeasement, cast-changes, DUIs, etc.). I also have faith that Elizabeth S, Drew and Ed have been left completely in the dark, and have been given only the bare bones needed to enable them to write their episodes. Finally, I have faith that Damon and Carlton are sadistically enjoying the latter producers' torturous states of unknowing and their relentless (albeit vain) pursuits to get these secrets out of them. I just hope the BadRobot storyboardroom doesn't turn into Lord of the Flies, with D&C getting ousted, banished or stoned by their former fellow scribes ... at least, they should hold off til after the finale's script has been finalized.

Edited by Dynec, Apr 21, 2007 @ 7:15 AM.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

How should LOST end?

Quickly, painlessly, and with Sawyer waking up in my bed with a big smile on his face.

< camera pans away >

hey, you asked!

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 7:58 PM

I like the idea of the Desmond traveling back and pushing the button so the plane continues on its way. We'll all be bummed because none of these people would have met (well, except for Jack and Kate - all the others are good) - but then we have the sorrow of knowing the crappiness they are returning to. Maybe a lingering shot of some of them looking at each other like "do I know you?"

I also like the time travel back and Adam and Eve are 2 of our lostaways. Though I also like the theory that its Amelia Earhardt and her navigator.

HOw about the Island is in some sort of time hole, time moves slower at the island (though that wouldn't explain Juliet's nephew), the Lostaways solve all their issues and return to normal life, but better and stronger people.

The choice of returning is good too.

CallMeSoon

CallMeSoon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 8:05 PM

Sawyer and Kate sneak off the island together and go on the run.

jester959

jester959

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 8:26 PM

*waits for the flurry of haters to reply with shit like "asap", "immediately." or any variation of.*

Which is a shame, because this is a good question and I look forward to hearing peoples ideas.

moonglow

moonglow

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 8:36 PM

Everybody miraculously learns how to live together in peace, harmony & cooperation, and just as everyone has been "coupled up" for the night, a huge vocano erupts and covers the island in red hot lava.

daria405

daria405

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

I also like the time travel back and Adam and Eve are 2 of our lostaways. Though I also like the theory that its Amelia Earhardt and her navigator.

I always wonder about this idea - what exactly would be the point of it? It just seems really out of place to me...

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 12:34 AM

I'd honestly like to see a two hour finale. At the 1:30 mark, it's revealed that nobody will ever get off the island. The remaining 30 minutes flashes forward through the years as we see how life evolves for them.

Currently, there's still the hope that they'll get off the island. I'd love to see that dreamed crushed at some point.

luxcy

luxcy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 3:22 AM

I'd love to see that dreamed crushed at some point.

As would I! With Locke back in his wheel chair! Mwahahahaaaaaar.....now i feel bad. :(

dizzy1

dizzy1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 5:14 AM

I'd like to see them all rescued - whether they want to be or not...

I'd like to see how they handle being back, and how they deal with each other in "the real world."

Then flash forward 5 or 10 years, only to find them all back on the island.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

You mean like Gilligan's Island? I hated that ending :-)
Maybe the Harlem Globetrotters will show up and rescue them.

I do really like the idea of Demond going back in time and preventing the plane from crashing... it's got a creepy vibe. But then I guess Kate goes to jail, Sawyer continues being a jerk, Locke never leaves his wheelchair, Claire gives her baby up for adoption, Charlie probably ODs.... weird. The two bodies on the island could be Desmond and Penny - she comes for him and then they push the stupid button forever, I guess.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Apr 22, 2007 @ 9:40 AM.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 12:49 PM

At the 1:30 mark, it's revealed that nobody will ever get off the island. The remaining 30 minutes flashes forward through the years as we see how life evolves for them.

(Stargate SG-1 spoilers) Unfortunately, that very same ending was basically used for Stargate SG-1. (Except you have to replace "island" with "space ship put into a time dilation field in order to avoid imminent destruction by enemy fire.)

growltiger

growltiger

Couch Potato

• Interests:Remaining alive.

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 1:07 PM

The final scene would be set in the village of the Others. There is a loud, rumbling sound and the land vibrates as if there is an earthquake. Out of the cottages pour the inhabitants. They look up and an airliner is observed; it breaks up mid-air. We see Jack. He turns his eyes to the others and says, "Sayid, Sawyer, go to the crash site. There may be survivors. Make lists and report back here. Go now."

I cannot claim credit for this idea, but I was amused by it. This is not the way I would like to see Lost end.

Draracle

Draracle

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 3:36 PM

That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Why would they do that, lol.

daria405

daria405

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 11:42 PM

The final scene would be set in the village of the Others. There is a loud, rumbling sound and the land vibrates as if there is an earthquake. Out of the cottages pour the inhabitants. They look up and an airliner is observed; it breaks up mid-air. We see Jack. He turns his eyes to the others and says, "Sayid, Sawyer, go to the crash site. There may be survivors. Make lists and report back here. Go now."

Oddly enough, I sort of like this, don't ask me why.

However, I keep imagining that the end will be like the end of Dawson's Creek: we'll see Kate and Sawyer sitting in front of the TV, and they'll be like, "Oh, we should go call Juliet and Jack and see how they are doing! We are BEST FRIENDS now!"

Natalya

Natalya

Couch Potato

• Interests:Shows: 24, Deadwood, The Wire, Arrested Development, Prison Break, Lost, the Office US, My Name is Earl, House, Battlestar Galactica, Oz, Weeds, Monk, Psych, Friday Night Lights, Heroes, Veronica Mars, and the Law &amp; Order franchise.

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 5:51 AM

Maybe the Harlem Globetrotters will show up and rescue them.

This is a great ending for any TV show ever, regardless of context.

I kind of like the idea of the Desmond-saving-them ending, with a montage of how bad their lives sucked when they landed in CA. Not because I especially want to see them in pain or anything, but it would be darkly funny.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 7:42 AM

*waits for the flurry of haters to reply with shit like "asap", "immediately." or any variation of.*

Which is a shame, because this is a good question and I look forward to hearing peoples ideas.

But I think those are valid answers in a sense, because they are in the spirit of the original question. "I'm not convinced that the writers have given this any serious thought" it established. Isn't an answer expressing doubt that the lack of forethought in the writing can be overcome at all, no matter what, valid then?

raptusregaliter

raptusregaliter

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 8:47 AM

It should end with the appearance of the Borg. All of the islanders are assimilated. In the final shot, CrazyEyes Jacksus sheds a single Borg tear. Instant classic!

How it will probably end: With a lame 3-minute musical montage.

Kamakazi

Kamakazi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:34 AM

The "time travel" idea is SO bad that I'm 90% certain that it's exactly what the writers will do. After all, it'd be the ultimate cop-out: they wouldn't actually end up explaining anything, since they'd have basically told us that the entire show didn't happen.

John Shade

John Shade

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:57 AM

Ever since I heard that the show's creators said Desmond really time-travelled in his flashback a few weeks ago, I've been convinced that this is how the square will be circled. Time travel could be significant in the resolution in a number of ways - it wouldn't have to be a scenario where Desmond or some other character rigs some gizmo to ensure the plane doesn't crash. It could be used to explain a number of apparently bizarre phenomena - the Others' reluctance to share information for one thing. The entire island could already be in the past (or the future). As an answer to the question of why nobody can ever truly leave the island, and going to the island is a one-way trip, it works.

Problems for such an overtly sci-fi/fantasy theme would come in the shape of the dreaded general viewer. An elderly man of my acquaintance is such a viewer: he hates anything even faintly sci-fi or fantastical, but he was a Lost-viewer for a season and a half. The moment they introduced overtly fantastical elements, he stopped watching.

Personally I like the notion of the Lostaways all heading off into the past en masse and being the ancestors of the island-born Others.

minisprout

minisprout

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Desmond timetravels/flashbacks to a point where he's in the hatch with Clancy Brown before the Lostaways showed up, and somehow manages to avoid 'causing' the crash (as he seemed to do in the first flashback we saw of him in that timeframe). The flight continues on overhead.

I'm so torn about this idea. I mean, on the one hand, it's kinda neat. On the other hand, it's just a variation on character X waking up from a dream. In both instances, none of it ever happened. Which is a whopper of a copout.

It also wouldn't explain why TPTB ever envisioned X number of seasons. As long as your show got as far as Flashes Before Your Eyes, they've got the basis for that ending.

If the end game is "none of it happened", what would be the point, story-wise, of dragging the show out to 5 or 6 seasons?

riley

riley

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

On the other hand, it's just a variation on character X waking up from a dream. In both instances, none of it ever happened. Which is a whopper of a copout

I agree. As I've been reading this thread, I've been thinking I would be crushed if the writers pulled a "who shot JR" kind of ending.

Strangly, this somehow appeals to me. It's creepy but appealing!

Catachresis

Catachresis

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 12:23 PM

I'm not sure about how I'd like to see the Ultimate Final Ending unfold, but somewhere miles away in another thread somebody had a nice idea for how things might come to a head, which I approve of and present my own version of thus:

Eventually, as all the mysteries of the Others unfold, it becomes apparent that there is a way to get off the island. Jack gets his Leader hat on and tries to help everyone escape, while Locke remains intrigued by the natural mysteries of the island (those that the Others haven't solved) and tries to convince people that they should stay. Somehow it could be contrived up by TPTB that the two aims are mutually exclusive, and we have a sort of a battle for hearts and minds, a fight over whether the group stays or goes.

I'd want Locke to win.

minisprout, I can see your point about the lack of a point to the whole show if they pull out the "time-travel/it never happened" ending. I still think the journey would be worthwhile, though, even if the arrival would disappoint. Plus, it would involve more Desmond, which is a Very Good Thing. Dude is awesome.

ChamallaPlease

ChamallaPlease

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 1:40 PM

Remember how in Season 1, in Claire's episode, she was adamantly instructed by the psychic (? Malkin) that her baby is not to be raised by another, that is was absolutely imperative for Claire herself to raise Aaron. I was never sure if this was meant literally, or if it was a play on words, i.e.: not raised by an Other. I think it would be cool if Aaron turns out to be some sort of prophecy-child, who will ultimately lead the Losties (or what is left of them) off the island. He'll solve the island's central mystery or something, to get his people back home. Granted, many of the original Losties may not be alive at that point, but he'd be the leader of their society per se. If he's raised by The Others, however, he'll never find out who he really is or what he is meant to do. He'll remain unaware of his purpose, just as Alex is unaware of Rousseau. In that case, the prophecy is not fulfilled -- Malkin visualized this in some way.

Other subplots could then be woven into this central theme. For example, Locke turns completely, somehow becomes aware of the prophecy, and sets out to kill Aaron. Charlie dies a very important death while protecting Aaron from Locke et al, revealing the functionality of Desmond's repeated heroics -- to keep Charlie alive for the death that counts. They should also have Walt return to the island towards the end of the series, to serve some purpose.... provide some sort of key information from the outside world that is necessary.

Overall, I wouldn't be too thrilled with a time-travel based solution. Given the Adam & Eve thing though, it seems likely that it will play a role. If they're gonna go time-travel, they should have Hiro Nakamura teleport in to destroy the smoke monster.