Julianne Hough: Tiger Tassels & a World of Cute

• Please log in to reply

2238 replies to this topic

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

I just googled Derek Hough and it seems he was in a London production of Footloose last year. I guess Julianne isn't the only one who sings as well as dances. He was in the first Harry Potter film as an extra:

When he was 14 one such opportunity was spending a few weeks on the set of the first Harry Potter film. “I was only an extra, but you can see me very clearly in the first one,” says Hough. “A ghost walks through me, and I turn into an owl.

I don't remember that scene, I'm going to have to look it up.

Maybe next season the Pros could do an ode to Footloose like they did with Dirty Dancing last season. (Or was it the season before?)

Edited by oakgal, Apr 24, 2007 @ 9:28 PM.

SecretOfLife

SecretOfLife

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 5:07 PM

This girl reminds me of a starlet type from the 60s - somebody who would have starred in a beach movie or something. She's just cuter than a bug's ear!

I know she's a Mormon and all that...but dangit...I don't want her to get married and saddled with a bunch of kids this early in life. Don't they typically get pregnant once they say the "I Dos"? (See Ashley Delgrosso).

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 5:24 PM

I have a suspicion, though it might be completely unfounded, that Ashley was in a family way before she got married. I mean, they pushed up the wedding date a couple of months and now she's very heavily pregnant... she's having the baby exactly nine months (maybe less, depending on when in July she's due) after the wedding... but I have no proof. Still, Julianne's younger than Ashley and this appearance, with any luck, will open up her career even more - she's got plenty of time to have babies, so I'd say strike while the iron is hot!:)

Btw, Derek Hough kinda reminds me of Hugo Weaving, whom I absolutely adore.:D

Edited by Aurinos, Apr 25, 2007 @ 5:34 PM.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 5:33 PM

Don't they typically get pregnant once they say the "I Dos"? (See Ashley Delgrosso).

Not necessarily. Ashly didn't have babies right away....not with her first marriage.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 5:48 PM

I wonder because my first thought when they showed the taped rehearsal footage on last weeks performance episode was, "Are Mormons supposed to say, 'fricken'?"

Well, the lead singer of the Killers is Mormon and he smokes like a chimney so... I guess there are rebels and deviants everywhere. ;)

I, too, can totally see her in one of those 60's beach movies dancing up a storm to Dick Dale or the Beach Boys or Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

I've often been impressed with the speed that she's got and the speed that she's encouraged in Apolo. I think it's definitely one of their strengths... but man, then she danced with her brother and I thought they were going to set off sonic booms with their speed. That exhibition dance was great. Loved it.

JenMD

JenMD

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 7:08 PM

I, too, can totally see her in one of those 60's beach movies dancing up a storm to [...]Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

Hee! Awesome.

I'm so impressed with not only her talent and how well she seems to be at handling a student at her age, but also at her enthusiasm. She's been a fabulous addition this season. And I am so glad we got Derek in for an exhibition in last night. They really were great to watch.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 2:57 AM

Julianne's MySpace

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

Well, while I was thinking of Laila/Maksim's upcoming dances, it got me to thinking of what Apolo/Julianne have up.

They have the paso, mambo, foxtrot, and the tango left - and frankly, I think those are a great set of dances to knock out. The paso might give them problems (because of the issue with them pretending to hate each other for the sake of the dance and all), but the rest should be great.

I'm willing to bet that of those four dances, at least two will get perfect 30s.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 12:15 PM

I'd love to see them foxtrot. Preferably to a really great song. Foxtrot can have such beautifully romantic music...Fly Me to the Moon, for example.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2007 @ 3:49 PM

Interview of Julianne and Derek. Man I'd love for Derek to be a pro next season just to see how the sibling rivalry between the two would play out.

Link

SD Dude

SD Dude

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 12:41 AM

I'm sorry that I can't think of a better place to put this post, but since there were a few posts in days past that mentioned Julianne being Mormon, I hope it is not completely off-topic in this thread.

Frankly, I considered opening a new thread called, "Dancing with the Saints: The Mormon-Ballroom Connection," but I figured it would only be closed and deleted. As I said, I hope the post will be acceptable on this thread.

Both Julianne and Ashly being Mormon made we wonder: coincidence? Was there some connection between the faith and dancing? I am quite the novice when it comes to the LDS.

The last two nights, PBS broadcast a four hour documentary on the Mormons, a joint production of Frontline and the American Experience. I found it to be very balanced and, like so many of their productions, completely fascinating. As I learned, indeed dancing is woven tightly into the history of the Mormon church. At one point one of the scholars being interviewed, himself a LDS, gives a long and inspired monologue about what dancing means to Mormons. I found it so informative and eloquent that I actually transcribed his words and will reproduce here. Sorry, it is somewhat long, but there is no site where I can link to it. I hope some of you find it as interesting as I did.

One observer visited the Saints on the prairie. He said it was one of the most haunting, haunting experiences, to see the vast stretches of isolation and loneliness and wilderness; and then you’d hear the soft strains of classical music coming over the hills, and there would be the Saints gathered round playing music and dancing.

Philosopher Nietzsche once wrote, “I should never believe in a God who would not know how to dance." And I feel the same way. There is in the Mormon faith a kind of celebration of the physical, which I think is a little outside of the Christian mainstream. When the Saints moved west to Utah, one observer in the 1850’s noted that they had schools in most every block but that every night the schools were converted into dancing schools. And he observed with some displeasure that Mormons taught their children that they should go to school but they must go to dancing school.

And I think that there’s a connection between the place of dancing in Mormon history and the concept of an embodied God. Because we believe that God the father, as well as Jesus Christ, are physical embodied beings, that elevates the body to a heavenly status. And I think there’s a kind of exuberance and celebration that in many ways is the result of the same collapse of sacred distance that was so central to Joseph Smith’s thinking.

Instead of denigrating the things of the body in order to elevate the things of the spirit, Joseph always argued that it was the successful incorporation of both that culminated in a fullness of joy. And so dancing, I think, is in many ways just an emblem or a symbol of a kind of righteous reveling in the physical tabernacle that we believe is a stage on our way to godliness itself.

- Terryl Givens, English Professor

So, there you have it. Now if someone can post in the Karina thread why so many dancers come from Russia.

ShellBen

ShellBen

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 7:00 AM

Anyone seen this yet? I thought it looked very similar when it first aired, but it's pretty interesting seeing it side by side.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wbQXguGZ7AI

La Guanaca

La Guanaca

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 8:16 AM

I don't know what to say......but people take stuff from others all the time. Kind of like that thing with Carlos Mencia "stealing jokes".

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 8:38 AM

That video was HILARIOUS! I am a SYTYCD fan, and I recognized some of the Black Mambo moves. What amazes me is that Apolo was able to do some of those very difficult moves in less than week's training. That's impressive.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 8:38 AM

Anyone seen this yet? I thought it looked very similar when it first aired, but it's pretty interesting seeing it side by side.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wbQXguGZ7AI

I loved the song

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 11:49 AM

Eh. I don't feel any particular outrage over that.

In the first place, Benji and Heidi didn't choreograph that dance, Alex de Silva did. For all we know Julianne was a student of his and called him up and asked for permission to use those moves. Or for all we know, she was a student of his, and he teaches those moves to all his students. Or for all we know, those are some of the standard steps in the Mambo arsenal. Julianne is 18, and as creative as she has been, she cannot possibly have the experience that the other pros have. I've certainly seen plenty of copying from season to season on DWTS anyway.

Seeing that clip did remind me how much I detested horse-face Heidi though.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 12:03 PM

"Cool" by Gwen Stefani was just on my radio a few minutes ago and I couldn't help but do Julianne's shoulder shrug. Am I the only loser doing this? lol

I just absolutely love Julianne's choreography but it's the little things that she adds that I tend to enjoy the most. The shoulder shrug and the popping the collar by Apolo in the Mambo. I don't know why but I just loved that. Also ever since Brian did the heel slide in the swing dance I've wanted to see a celebrity do it as well so when Julianne had it in the Mambo I was thrilled.

Edited by PoiPounder, May 3, 2007 @ 12:06 PM.

seanman76

seanman76

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 12:12 PM

lol no u aren't the only one to do the shoulder shrug to "Cool." I've been listening to it over the past few days and i always do the shrug too!

seanman76

seanman76

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

lol no u aren't the only one to do the shoulder shrug to "Cool." I've been listening to it over the past few days and i always do the shrug too!
oops...double post...

Edited by seanman76, May 3, 2007 @ 12:14 PM.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

I think that clip is really reaching, personally. The moves were arranged differently and connected differently in Julianne-Apolo's piece and in Black Mambo. Apolo and Julianne opened with the heel slide move which came near the end of Heidi and Benji's. In addition, the moves that the clip is complaining are copies are not unique to Benji-Heidi. For example, I was taught that alternating arm wrap over the head move in my beginner's salsa class. Spinning the woman is totally common. The side by side work wasn't even the same and neither was the ochos move (Benji/Heidi did ochos into sliding Heidi through Benjis legs and then Benji did split through hers while she choochoo shimmied over him). Steps are pretty standardized--there is a codified syllabus after all.

I've watched the two dances back to back since people started commenting on it. I don't think they're really that similar.

RunninRedbird

RunninRedbird

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2007 @ 6:08 PM

never mind

Edited by RunninRedbird, May 4, 2007 @ 11:23 AM.

souja

souja

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 4:30 AM

Benji blogs A/J's Mambo...

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 8:56 AM

Good link, souja. It looks like Benji made a previous blog with a video of the dance, and mentioned they looked eerily similar...
I'm not a dancer, so I can't really say. No one has a copyright on those moves like the heel slide. Maybe she saw SYTYCD, but she incorporated them differently into her dance.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 9:07 AM

This is what he wrote previously

regarding The Mambo Crazy between dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance"

:) this is also on my main pge...but it has come to my attention to say something to calm the waters a bit...I am not mad people...dissapointed in some people's decisions? maybe. but its really not that big of a deal...i find all of the controversy very funny.
one thing to remember is that knowone knows the whole story but a few select people.
nor will anyone ever know it all...and its probably best you all don't. but here's something i will say:

interesting bit here...now in all honesty, one can concider this a compliment to Alex Da Silva, Heidi and I for our efforts in producing a routine like "Black Mambo" (Alex you rock!)...in matters of a few hours. But there was also years apon years of our personal training that got us to a point where we could choreograph something like that. Blood sweat and tears i tell ya from all three of us. Countless lessons, countless hours of rehersal, injuries, breakdowns, etc. I think that since we worked so hard to be able to handle a routine like Black Mambo in a matter of a few hours rehersal is a blessing and a testimony to the hard work we have put into our dancing. With that said, I feel as if someone such as Julianne, who is a very talented dancer feels its okay to be called the choreographer and coach of a routine that uses many signature moves and call them her own is her professional decision. For many it is that great "GREY LINE" in the world of dance. From a professional to another professional, you just know not to do that...especially something done so recent. Julianne has been to our tour before. I thought they DID do a wonderful job...ALTHOUGH...I wonder if they had done something from scratch worrying about what to choreograph like all the other contestants without taking the moves from black mambo if they would have had such confidence and TIME to reherse and poilish their routine? i also wonder how the other couples feel about that and if they feel its okay to have copied the moves of one routine from a very recent television show based on dance as well? I am not flattered in the sense that all of the tricks we spent so much effort on were just put in as a safety net. And let's say julianne and apollo win, which is definatley possible, do you think had this gone unoticed she would ever have given thanks for that help? a handshake or a blog to ALex? or heidi? It is hard as a female dancer to coach something new to an untrained but obviously talented dancer. so if it is respected to "make means to survive and copy moves verbatim from another person's original work", then so be it....i guess it depends from everyone's point of view. i know where i stand in this...am i angry? no, not at all : ) do i respect what was done? i respect apollo for his hard work! I felt he did a great job doing what he could out there and i feel he has nothing to do with any of this...he's doing his job, doing what he is told...best of luck to him and i think he's great from all the accomplishments he has made for this country and himself!!! I will be cheering for him at the next olympics...Go USA!:)

Edited by peaches222, May 4, 2007 @ 9:05 AM.

jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

Did Benji and Heidi invent the heel slide or the turn under the leg, or standard mambo steps? No. Doesn't matter. I get Benji's point. He and Heidi bring years of training, experience, talent, charisma and personalities to their dancing and created a memorable interpretation of the moves. Michael Jackson didn't invent the moonwalk either. But he made it his own, and popularized it to the masses. If someone does a moonwalk, you can bet anyone seeing it will think of Michael Jackson.

Obviously Benji and Heidi are much less known, but it sounds like Benji believes it's the same principle. Remember that he's also trying to preserve his marketability. He and Heidi still perform that mambo routine at live appearances (I saw them do it in the Philly area last December) and they want to keep the demand going for their performances.

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 11:25 AM

Well that blog entry makes Benji sound like a complete ass. "Oh I'm not mad, if she can live with her tainted win, and grey line of integrity! I'm not mad but it just shows you her character and I would have expected better but I'm not mad!"

On Raphael's blog, you can check out a pro mambo from season 2 - and gasp! They use some of the same moves!

I never liked Benji, so really I'm thankful to him being such a blowhard, as it gives me a more rational reason to dislike him.

thepolice

thepolice

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 11:54 AM

Benji needs a few more paragraph breaks!

I just think ideas for choreographer come everywhere. I recall a similar slide movement except to the side with Morris Day and The Time! (I'm just kidding ya'll--well it was very similar though.) Some choreographers are even even inspired by club dances.

I don't think Julianne meant to step-on any toes. If A&J win, it's certainly not going to be based upon one dance alone.

It's too bad Benji seems a bit upset even though he says he's not. I didn't think it was all that big of deal.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

But he made it his own, and popularized it to the masses.

But which moves exactly? Is no one ever supposed to do a heel slide or an under leg turn in a mambo ever again? Neither of those things are exactly unique to Benji or Alex de Silva's choreography. Apolo's done the heel slide before the mambo. I actually think of the heel slide as his DwtS main trick (like Stacey's leg lifts).

Besides, people do still do the moonwalk. Sometimes it's clearly done to evoke Michael Jackson and sometimes it may just have seemed to fit the music. I certainly don't expect no dancer to ever do a horizontal-to-vertical leg split in a rumba or the split rotation samba kick that Julianne did just because it was so memorably done by A/J.

I'm disappointed in Benji. He of all people should know how very different Black Mambo is from A/J's routine. If I were Julianne, I'd be livid with him for calling her out in his blog like that. That's the type of thing he should resolve quietly with her.

I also hate when people do the "it's not a big deal but I'm going to proceed to make a very big deal" out of it thing.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 12:04 PM

Real cute clip of Julianne and Apolo catching fish at the Pike Fish Market. Julianne is real cute at the end.

Link

NaturalTop

NaturalTop

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 2:06 PM

Damn. Wish I hadn't read Benji's rant. He comes off like a spoiled brat too big for his britches. (My best friend just went to WCS convention a few weeks ago and had a couple of dances with him. He is a Grrrreat lead apparently.) Those particular moves have been aroung longer than my B-Boy has been alive. He needs to find his mormon humility again wherever he lost it.

Edited by NaturalTop, May 4, 2007 @ 2:07 PM.