Julianne Hough: Tiger Tassels & a World of Cute

• Please log in to reply

2238 replies to this topic

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:22 PM

She's 18! And engaged! And cute as all get out.

Discuss our newest and youngest pro here.

lizpeppermint

lizpeppermint

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:53 PM

Is it ok to say she has my dream body? It is a dream because I have 2 babies and 11 years on her... that and an inability to get my butt off the couch to dance/exercise 8 hrs a day. Anyway, I just wanted to state that she has my dream body... and she is super adorable.

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:10 PM

Some pics of Julianne and Apolo from the 14 Annual Race to Erase MS Event. They are just so cute.

Pics

long wok

long wok

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:52 PM

She always looks amazing in rehearsal footage. But the hair for the "Tiger Dance" was beyond strange.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 6:47 AM

I just love her exuberance and enthusiasm... guess it could be her youth, but I'd rather chalk it up to her just being awesome! The banana clip was a bit much, though, I must agree.

Side note: can someone fix the spelling in the thread title? I've been noticing it spelled wrong on the boards, but it's "tassels," not "tassles." [/spellingnerd]

Snug

Snug

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 11:43 AM

She's 18! And engaged!

That concerns me. Obviously she's a very mature 18. But her fiance, Zack, is 25. Which basically means a man in his twenties was courting a VERY YOUNG GIRL. I'm sure he's a very nice guy, but the numbers don't paint a glowing picture.

Let us hope he doesn't get in the way of her pursuing her dreams. She's very talented, and has nowhere to go but up.

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 2:11 PM

I think it's kind of funny that Apolo mentioned the age difference between him and Julianne in one of the clips of the rehearsal footage - honey, you're younger than her fiance!:)

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

Well, engaged is not the same thing as married. It could be a long engagment.

sgupta4

sgupta4

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 5:41 PM

Don't most Mormons marry young due to premarital sex being very strongly frowned upon?

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 9:27 PM

Dancing her way to fame

Must thank Kym for bringing Julianne into our world. She is the one Julianne replaced for awhile when she got injured right?

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 11:40 PM

I had reservations about her age and teaching experience, but I guess she proved me wrong!

From the article:

Leaving home at 10 years old to live and train as a dancer in London was one of the hardest things that Julianne Hough ever did.

Ten years old? Wow.

Fleegull

Fleegull

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 5:59 AM

This girl is like bottled sunshine and she must find a way to be on my tv every week after the show is over.

Edited by Fleegull, Apr 19, 2007 @ 6:04 AM.

BwayBaby

BwayBaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

As cute as two buttons and an amazing dancer. I'll keep voting for her and Apolo!

PoiPounder

PoiPounder

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 11:45 AM

This girl is like bottled sunshine and she must find a way to be on my tv every week after the show is over.

I could definately see ABC signing her to a talent holding deal after this since she likes to act as well. Well I hope they do.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

Is she a Mormon? I just think she's an amazing dancer and trainer. I still marvel at how she got Apolo to lift and hold his arms and change his skating posture to a dancing posture. They've improved so much as a team.

One of her friends posted on another forum and said that Julianne's fiance is also a dancer and really gorgeous.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 19, 2007 @ 1:41 PM.

shdbwrkng

shdbwrkng

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

Delurking to add my two ex-mormon cents.....

I don't know if she is Mormon (my parents still live in Utah, I'll keep them on the lookout for confirmation) but a lot of Mormon girls marry older because they marry the Missionaries that have returned from the 18 months or 2 years away from home "spreading the gospel" in other countries or areas of the US.

I also think she is adorable. Except for this last week, I've thought she looks just like Meg Ryan earlier in her career...

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 4:10 PM

I really like that she isn't giving Apolo easy choreography. I also loved when she told him to be a man and be sexy, because that was the main thing holding me back from full Apolo love. I've adored him for years and he was one of the main reasons I was excited about this season, but I wasn't really feeling the whole cutesy vibe. I prefer intensity on the dancefloor, so I'm glad Julianne said that to him. She really came up with a great routine this week, and I thought her choreography for the Quickstep was great too.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

You know I think Julianne is the female Jonathan for me. She makes everyone she dance with look damn good. A perfect example is Brian Fortuna. Could not stand him when he was partnering Shandi but with Julianne last week in the Rhumba to "Lost in the moment" I loved him. I think that exhibition is my second favorite of all time, after Jonathan and Anna's Fields of Gold performance at the Dance-Off.

It takes unbelievable talent to be able to showcase your partner so well and Julianne's got it IMO

pique arabesque

pique arabesque

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 1:35 AM

I don't watch this show, but this girl definitely used to go to school with me... we were cancan-dancing napkins together in Beauty and the Beast my sophomore year. It's good to see someone I knew (albeit not well at all, haha) doing what they love and getting recognized for it.

judetheobscure

judetheobscure

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Julianne is certainly a cute, perky, bouncey, vivacious girl. No doubt about any of that. But she has so far represented a trend that I find unattractive anywhere in the ballroom dance community -- gymnastics in lieu of dance. It emphasizes sport in lieu of art.

I don't know her bio, so I am only assuming that she's been trained as a gymnast and perhaps in high level cheerleading. She'd be perfect as the girl on the top of a pyramid of cheerleaders, for example.

But for ballroom, I am far more moved by those trained in the arts of movement -- ballet for example. The subleties that put true beauty into dance are graceful, physically interpretive, hands, face, gestures, I cannot find the words in total. But the package can certainly be easily differentiated from the moves essential to sports success.

Julianne seems to me to have the latter -- a great gymnastic floor exercise rather than a graceful, emotive story told through dance. She executes well, but omits the artistic element I cherish.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 10:19 AM

In the latest issue of People Mag it says that Julianne is getting married Aug. 8 to Zach Wilson. And, that she is an aspiring country singer. Hmmm

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 11:02 AM

jude-

She is highly trained in dance. She moved from her family when she was 10 to study dance in the UK. Yes- she may not be a ballet dancer- but I think she is a fantastic ballroom dancer.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 11:40 AM

I think Julianne's a fabulous dancer/teacher/choreographer/partner. I'm enjoying her tremendously. She's a supernova of a shining star on this show. I don't think there's any question that she's a fantastic ballroom dancer.

In the couples part of this competition, I can see a hint of what judetheobscure is saying about her dancing, though. It makes me wonder if she's not matching Apolo's style to some degree. However, I thought her theater arts demo with Tony did not have that quality. And I've thought she's very expressive and effective at conveying emotion in every setting, with every partner. I have a strong impression that she's very versatile.

Mostly, I understand this conversation in terms of how we might talk about figure skaters. My own preference there is for the more artistic ones. Not to take away from the more athletic ones, it's just a clear preference of mine. In that sport, I might look at certain young skaters and think there's no way they'll ever acquire the quality that I, too, cherish. But I don't feel that way about Julianne. To the extent that she may need a bit more polish, I've no doubt that she is capable of getting it. She's SO good, SO young!

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 1:56 PM

I like Julieanne more and more every time I see her. Too cute.

Is it ok to say she has my dream body?

No joke. As soon as she came out, Mr. Hailey said, "she was on the tour!" I asked how he knew. He said, "you don't forget an ass like that." Boys. We say she's 20 in this house because 18 is just a little too squicky.

Edited by Hailey, Apr 22, 2007 @ 1:57 PM.

SD Dude

SD Dude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

I too wonder if she is Mormon. I did see it mentioned on this forum a few times, but not confirmed. I wonder because my first thought when they showed the taped rehearsal footage on last weeks performance episode was, "Are Mormons supposed to say, 'fricken'?" You could place it in the shoot, darn, and heck categories, I suppose, but fricken just comes off a little harder.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

I'm sure Mormons are similar to most other religions in that there are degrees of observation. I knew Mormons who drank Coke and were known to swear occasionally. It's similar to Catholics who take birth control. Not everyone follow their religion down to the letter.

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

Her dancing tonight in the regular dance and group number, her energy, her spirit, her cute brother - I've resisted rooting for her, but she's making it impossible.

oriley

oriley

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 10:25 AM

I've really enjoyed her dancing and choreography so far this year, though I concede judetheobscure's comments about her athleticism vs gracefulness. Still, I'll forever be indebted to her for the Shoulder Shrugs of Cuteness that she threw into her and Apolo's rumba last night.

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

Her brother was kind of cute. Speaking of Derek, I think is his name, I thought the pros couldn't have any help whatsoever. Or is it only choreographing they must do by themselves?

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 8:58 PM

Still, I'll forever be indebted to her for the Shoulder Shrugs of Cuteness that she threw into her and Apolo's rumba last night.

I seriously had to watch that part like 5 times. It was sooo adorable and perfect with the music!

I want to add that she always has great outfits that aren't that skimpy. I didn't like the fingerless gloves that she wore this week, and her dress' strap annoyed me (was it supposed to be falling down like that?), but she is my new favorite female pro.