Apolo Ohno: Ohno You Didn't!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1567 replies to this topic

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:50 PM

Here's the thread dedicated to two-time Olympian, five-time medalist, and all-time cutie Apolo Anton Ohno. I've always liked the kid, but somehow I've just fallen in love with him on DWtS. He's got such a winning personality, and I swear he and Julianne want to make me stand up and cheer. Always a joy to watch, and I feel he's really improving, too! Discuss.;)

Edited by Aurinos, Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:34 PM.

babyfishfel

babyfishfel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:57 PM

I agree he's adorable, but somebody should tell him the soulpatch is out...not that it was ever such a great facial adornment to begin with.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but Apolo and Julianne are close to replacing Drew and Cheryl as my all-time favorite DwTS couple. I start grinning from ear to ear as soon as they get on the dance floor and don't stop until they're done. I really hope they make it to the final 2.

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:30 PM

I agree he's adorable, but somebody should tell him the soulpatch is out...not that it was ever such a great facial adornment to begin with.

I hardly notice the soulpatch... I'm too busy staring at that booty! He, Maks and Jonathan have my vote for "Best Ass" this year. I think we need a show for them to break the 3-way tie!

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

The soulpatch and the mandana are big no-nos. They reek of him trying to show us how edgy he is. There's nothing edgy about looking like you have a turd on your face.

He's great fun, and the hip-rocking he did was like Elvis at his best. I wasn't as crazy about the samba as the judges were but it's nice to see some fun back on this show after last season was a dirge.

felicia

felicia

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:58 PM

Aww Edward83, you're being too hard on the boy. Mini-Dave Navarro has been rocking the mandana for a lot of years now. It's sort of like his signature thang.

moonvine

moonvine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:09 PM

I've always loved him, ever since Salt Lake City. I was soooo happy when I heard he would be on DWTS because speed skating is not the most covered sport on US Tv. My future pretend TV 15 years younger husband!

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:08 PM

I have been a fan of Apoloís ever since I read an article about him in SI before the 2002 Olympics talking about how his mom left he and his father when he was a tot, and how skating really helped him through some bad kid times and turned him into a focused young man. He seems like a very nice and hard working guy. And I like that he and Julianne appear to have a great working relationship.

I agree that he should get rid of the soul patch, but I think I read somewhere that he is a bit superstitious about it and his skating and is afraid to get rid of it while he is still competitively skating.

On to the shallow- he has some great hip movement and a nice lower body. Yes I am married- but I still can bark at the cars as they go by,

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:14 PM

No problem with that, Chesty! Apolo, despite being so cuddly and adorable, is also very, very well-built.:D And I appreciate that!

zasha

zasha

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:24 PM

I've loved and followed Apolo's career since the 2002 SLC Olympics. Watching Apolo on the ice is absolutely breathtaking. He moves like no one else out there. So seeing him on DWTS is a real treat, and I'm thrilled (though not surprised) that he's doing so well.
The patch and bandana are signature for him, and I barely notice them any more. It's just Apolo. He wears the bandana to keep his hair out of his face (under his helmet) on the ice. And before his races, when he's waiting for his name to be called, he skates around the ice with an intensely focused expression on his face, wearing his skinsuit and bandana. He looks like a warrior heading off to battle and it's so freaking sexy.

tjames

tjames

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:33 PM

I start grinning from ear to ear as soon as they get on the dance floor

Me too, MeeMaw. Like Drew & Cheryl in S2, Apolo & Julianne make me wanna dance. Loved their Quickstep, loved their Samba, and (despite what GrumpyLen said) loved their Jive - they express so much joy, it's infectious.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:35 PM

When he and Julianne were doing their samba last night all I could do was stare and mutter repeatedly, "How does he dance in such tight pants!" After the fifth repitition of "Wow! Those are tight pants," Mr. Glory told me to shut up. And then he wondered aloud if it was better to dance in tight pants, or no pants, as Julianne was doing.

I really hope he makes it to the finals though, because I absolutely adore him. He's just so freaking cute!

wimple

wimple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

For me it's the smile. When Appolo smiles his whole face lights up (and so does mine!). They certainly found the perfect little partner for him. He's the only reason I'm watching DwtS this season. I'd love to see more Winter Olympians on the show. Sasha Cohen would be awesome!

Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:58 PM

He's the only reason I'm watching DwtS this season.

Preach it! If Apolo and Juliane weren't dancing this year, I wouldn't bother to watch. Apolo is magically delicious.

Mica22

Mica22

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:11 PM

Add to me to the list of people who are watching because of Apolo...

I had never seen an episode of DwtS, but put Apolo on my television twice a week, and I'm there.

La Guanaca

La Guanaca

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

Its funny because I didn't know he was going to be on the show. I was flipping back and forth on abc because I wanted to see the Pirates of Caribbean III trailer. And when I saw him I couldn't believe it, I immediately recognized him from the '06 Olympics. And now I'm hooked!

He is an incredible dancer. He and Julianne are such an adorable couple and many ppl are saying they don't see the sexy only the cute, but hey! I see the sexiness coming from them. What! with those hip actions and leg movements, come on! ;)

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:00 PM

I have been an Apolo fan since his first Olympics too. I wonder why they haven't shown any of his friends/coworkers in the practice packages like they have for other contestants. I read an article online that quoted one of his speedskating coaches as being very excited and proud - and another article that said the members of the US speedskating team watched the premiere together, wearing fake soul-patches in support, no less. So he obviously has people that are supporting him.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:17 PM

From the LA Times

Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough: Apolo and Julianne can swivel their little hips and thrust their tiny pelvises all they want, but itís just impossible to buy them as being extremely sexy. Thatís OK though because their almost unbearable appeal completely makes up for it.

He forgot to use the words "adorably cute". I thought that Apolo was going to throw out his hip during the contest. He was shaking it so darn hard.

Aurinos

Aurinos

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:30 PM

I'm actually surprised the show hasn't trotted out Apolo's dad yet - Yuki is a huge, huge force in his life and I can't believe the producers haven't capitalized on that. Unless Yuki refuses to do that so the focus can be on Apolo.

LynninMN

LynninMN

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 5:48 PM

I saw an interview where Julianne confirmed that she is engaged but who all wants her to break off the engagement and run off with Apolo? Anyone?

zasha

zasha

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:36 PM

I saw an interview where Julianne confirmed that she is engaged but who all wants her to break off the engagement and run off with Apolo? Anyone?

Hee. I don't know if I'd want her break off her engagement, but I have to admit that Apolo and Julianne make a stunning looking couple. And one of the joys of watching them is that they really seem to like each other.

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:34 PM

I just love Apolo to bits. He first caught my attention back in '02 and I haven't looked back since. When he and Julianne dance I feel giddy and can't help the stupid smile on my face. They have me shimmying in my seat in no time. If they don't make final two (along with Laila) well, I don't even want to think about that.

And before his races, when he's waiting for his name to be called, he skates around the ice with an intensely focused expression on his face, wearing his skinsuit and bandana. He looks like a warrior heading off to battle and it's so freaking sexy.

Wah? Oh, sorry I zoned out for a minute. Intense determination is damn sexy. Yum!

I'm sure her fiance is a great guy, but damn. Apolo and Julianne would have the happiest, most smiley kids in the world.

Carmella

Carmella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

Nah, I don't want Apollo and Julianne to become a couple or anything. I like how they have a brother/sister-type comradry.

I've become a big fan of Apollo lately. He seems like a really nice guy, and he's giving this his all. He's just awesome, and I would LOVE to have a name like Ohno. That's just awesome.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

He's the only reason I'm watching DwtS this season.

Me too. I hadn't watched since mid-Season 1, but as soon as I heard he was on this season's show, I was sold.

I remember seeing all the pre-SLC '02 hype about Apolo and thinking, "Who is this guy?" After his first race, when he had to "settle" for the silver medal after that crazy pile-up, I was a total fan. Most athletes leading that race like he was would have pouted about the way he lost the gold medal, but he just looked so happy and excited to have won the silver medal. His joy was infectious. I fell in love with his attitude, the obvious love he has for shorttrack, and how truly gracious he always is in defeat. He's just such a joy to watch -- on the ice and now off.

I love Laila too, but I hope Apolo goes all the way.

Edited by kenyaj, Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

Chesty LaRue

Chesty LaRue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

After his first race, when he had to "settle" for the silver medal after that crazy pile-up, I was a total fan. Most athletes leading that race like he was would have pouted about the way he lost the gold medal, but he just looked so happy and excited to have won the silver medal. His joy was infectious. I fell in love with his attitude, the obvious love he has for shorttrack, and how truly gracious he always is in defeat

I loved that. He had the best attitude- he was all like "well, that's short track!" and seemed to love that it was so crazy.

And I also lurved how when he got the bronze in the 1,500 at the 2006 Olympics he still had a great attitude. Instead of being wistful that he did not get the gold- he said something along the lines of "now I have a medal in every color- how neat is that!" I was so happy when he later got the gold in the 500. He had such a wonderful look of utter joy. Gah!

One thing that I have liked about him through the years is his work ethic. (He even lived in relatively Spartan conditions for a long while while in Colorado Springs between the two Olympics to focus more on training when other skaters at his level in his sport likely would not have.) And he seems to have carried that attitude over to the show- I liked how he remarked how the judges criticisms motivate him for the next week.

So my 5 year old icoapp (inappropriate crush on a pocket person) remanins intact.

Edited by Chesty LaRue, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:38 PM.

zasha

zasha

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:07 PM

Ah, safe. Expected, but still, crazier things can happen.

One thing that I have liked about him through the years is his work ethic.

Me too, and hopefully that'll carry him to the disco-balled end, because I want him to win this thing, hands down.

Lovecat

Lovecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

I just want to put Apolo and Julianne both in my pocket so I can take them out and have them dance around on the table when I'm feeling down--instant cheerer-upper! A Fatone/Ohno finale would be the death of me, because I love them both :)

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:09 PM

Rock. Star.

That is all.

Sesana

Sesana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 8:21 AM

I've loved Apolo since the first time I saw him. He's incredibly good-looking, which is always a huge plus. I love that he's very talented and dedicated to his sport, and that he has such a good attitude. I'd love him even if he was a pill in his practice videos, but he's a complete doll. I'm another that wants to have both him and Julianne follow me around all day to keep me smiling. And he's dancing so well! He's my favorite so far, and I just love him more every week.

I have to say, he looks exactly like Jonathan Brandis. Take a look, it's actually kind of creepy. I can't believe I never noticed it before the first episode of DWTS, but I had just watched the first season of seaQuest on DVD the week before. I loved Jonathan Brandis so much, and when I realized just how much Apolo looked like him, I started to tear up.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 8:35 AM

I have to say, he looks exactly like Jonathan Brandis.

Wow, Sesana. You are 100% on the money. I always thought he looked familar too, and I just couldn't place him.