Karina Smirnoff: She's a World Class Dancer

• Please log in to reply

1414 replies to this topic

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Maybe she'll be able to bring some of that out of Apolo. I went into season 4 with Apolo as my favorite, precisely because I thought that he could give that hotter, intense, vibe. He was still really good, but it was disappointing to me how he was basically the lovable, cutesy, thing. I wanted something more and different. With Karina, there's a shot that I could see that in him now.

Even if not, they will still be good together. I think that it will basically be like the JR pairing, if Apolo performs with a similiar style and vibe as he performed his first go round.

Edited by QueenL, Aug 13, 2012 @ 4:55 PM.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

I see your point. He is a few years older now, with more life experience to draw from. They are both extremely competitive and willing to work hard. This could be interesting.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Judging from his Twitter over the past months, it seems Apolo has taken some acting classes, so maybe that plus a few added years (he does have that eternally-boyish thing going on) will give Karina more to work with. She's my favorite female pro and he's my favorite male star, so I'm eager to see what they come up with.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I'm encouraged by her Argentine Tango with Aaron Carter. That surprised me, because he was always so riddled with energy that seemed like it'd be hard to harness. He was also really childlike and goofy. Here, he was a total man, though, and they had such a sexy vibe. I loved it.

However, he may just have a natural ability to get into character that Apolo may not have. I'm curious to see. I think that Apolo will try, but I don't know if it will naturally illuminant out of him like it did from Aaron in what I just posted.

I think they'll last long, but just in case, I hope that the show does Argentine Tangos early. An AT from Apolo & Karina is something I'm really dying to see, and curious to see. I hope it's slow and simmering. A lot of that depends on the music. Hopefully they get some good music!

I initially wanted Chelsie/Apolo, Gilles/Karina pairings, but now that I think of it, maybe the producers knew what they were doing. We'd know what we'd be getting with both of those pairings. With this, it allows for a bit more suspense, and a bit more of an element of surprise, and a "we haven't seen this before" element.

I'm excited!

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

She really was able to get a lot out of Aaron Carter and a few of her other pairings that weren't particularly promising.

I know this is a subjective opinion, but Karina seems capable of generating a decent amount of chemistry with a brick wall (Billy Ray Cyrus, I'm looking at you!) within the context of a dance. I am hoping that she doesn't have to rely on that and there is some real, genuine chemistry between she and Apolo.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

For me, Karina has so much charisma, all by herself, that I love watching her with anybody - or reading the phone book by herself. And talk about charisma, Apolo had tons! I really think they're going to win, barring excessive interference from the producers, who may have an agenda in propping Derek. To try to reproduce Apolianne and emphasize the cute side of Apolo, I think they would have chosen Chelsie - but they didn't, so I'm excited about seeing a more mature side of Apolo.

If they know that Apolo's support was massive and they wanted to cut down on it because they had a pre-ordained plan of Derek winning, I think they would have paired Apolo with Anna or Chelsie, so I'm hopeful that this choice means they'd be happy for Apolo and Karina to take that trophy.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Elsa, why Derek again? Why not Maks or Tony?

Karina is my favorite pro. In my eyes she is everything a pro dancer should be. But Apolo somehow doesn't look sexy or even manly to me. Perhaps that's because he looks so tiny. I know, I know... So I hope that Karina will be able to bring it out in him - I do not want a cute rumba, I want a steamy one and a sexy tango... .

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Because of Derek's "swan song" thing. Well, I think there are a lot of reasons why they pull strings to get Derek into the finals as often as possible. I think they think his choreography is great and a reason for the show's success. I do think they value Maks A LOT, and Tony to some extent, but not for their choreography, so whether they're in the finals, or go as long as possible, doesn't matter as much. Much more about this subject is in the Grassy Knoll, so I'll leave it there.

I see what you mean about Apolo, but there's a depth to the guy, and it's not about the "sexy" way of being manly, well, in your face sexy, like William Levy, but I think he's quite manly in the other way. The self-control, the strength of will, his overcoming difficult odds and finding the strength to push himself to such extraordinary lengths just to prove to himself that he's, well, a man, I guess, and an amazing one. (You might can tell I'm an Apolo fangirl, ahem.) I do understand what you're saying - he's not traditionally masculine or sexy, visually, and he's small - but I think people pick up on the strength inside him, which is pretty amazing. And the fact that his personality is so chill and "cute", it makes him a bit of an enigma. I think that may be the source of his charisma.

Anyhow, I also think he's nice looking, in his own way. And his patience in processing what other people say and the respect he shows other people when he's talking to them and such, he's just got so much charm. If I were a betting woman, I'd be putting some money on him. (listening, Jimmy Kimmel?)

Remember Gilles being so nervous and insecure? William Levy a bit, as well. I can't imagine feeling that kind of fear from Apolo. Oh he might SAY he felt nervous, but you would be able to tell that he wasn't going to let it get to him because he's so strong, like that. I find that really sexy, but I can see how other people would feel differently. He's certainly not your typical matinee idol. But he's no Justin Bieber either.

Edited by Elsa, Aug 15, 2012 @ 12:57 PM.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Well, whatever else Apolo is, he seems really nice, he's very intelligent, and he's athletic. These are all qualities that bring out the best in Karina. When her partner is professional and mature, she's able to keep her own emotions in check.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

I think Apolo is very handsome, but then I like the way Asian men look. Good looking Asian men are very sexy to me.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I predict Karina brings the sexy in her choreo with Apolo, and he will deliver.
(Julianne brought the sexy within 4 weeks, when they were supposed to be the "young/ cute" couple.)

Apolo's movement is strong, balanced, and confident - on and off the dance floor.
I cannot see Karina letting that advantage go to waste.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Agree! I think she will absolutely make the most of it. And I think she will really challenge him to take it to the next level. I'm hoping to see another side of him that I believe Karina can bring out.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Oh, I've no doubt that she'll bring her A-game. She's done some fantastic choreography and interpretations of late (and why her Rumba with J.R. Martinez didn't get nominated for an Emmy, I'll never know.)

jfye72

jfye72

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

"Eric Benet has teamed up with Dancing with the Stars! dancer and choreographer Karina Smirnoff, for a sexy video for his new single, “Harriett Jones.” "

http://blogs.centric...harriett-jones/

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

"Eric Benet has teamed up with Dancing with the Stars! dancer and choreographer Karina Smirnoff, for a sexy video for his new single, “Harriett Jones.” "

http://blogs.centric...harriett-jones/

Hot. I'll never understand or agree with the line of thinking that she doesn't have chemistry with people. She does, IMO, and the fact that she can do it with total dolts like Billy Ray Cyrus is amazing.

Really too bad that she didn't get Gilles.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I think Karina has loads of chemistry - and also loads of charisma, so that even when she's dancing with a Wozniak or a Billy Ray, I'm still engaged in watching the dance. I wasn't really hoping for her to get Gilles though - I had my eye on Kym and Gilles, first, and then if she couldn't have him, I agreed with Peta, just the aesthetics of the tall girls with the tall guy (I'm kind of obsessed with matching my Barbie and Ken dolls for height.)

Anyway, I think Karina is the only one who might have given Helio a chance. And Drew should have had Chelsie, back to my matching the dolls up by size theory. I also think Drew and Chelsie would have matched, personality wise, better than Drew and Anna. He's sort of fatherly but in a cute way - maybe big brotherly is a better way to say it. To me, Helio and Chelsie is just weird.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

Karina's Twitter: Working hard at being light on our feet!

Does Apolo have short arms?

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

To me, Helio and Chelsie is just weird.

Perhaps we are supposed to see this as a pattern: Helio was paired with a young barbie-like girl before and won. Now he is paired with someone similar - so we might hope he'll win again. Anyway, I am not Helio's fan, so I am glad he wasn't paired with Karina.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Karina is really stepping up the choreography with what she gave Apolo to do in the Quickstep!

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Karina isn't really my favorite, but it's nice to see how excited she is about Apollo. She seems almost giddy. I don't mean this in a romance kind of way, but I mean she is excited that he's a good dancer and performer.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Karina really is bringing out everything in Apolo that I'd hoped she would bring out. And more. Apolo and Kelly Monaco are my two favorites to watch this season, because they are both bringing new dimensions to their dancing.

Anisel

Anisel

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I feel really bad for Karina tonight. Not only does she have to deal with messing up during the dance, but now she seems to have rubbed people the wrong way because she felt terrible about it and showed it.

I hope she gets a chance to redeem herself next week.

shaggydog

shaggydog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

I feel bad too. Karina is a professional, has worked hard for her status (I think she has champion rating)and wants to present the best she can do.
It is really low to make her choreograph and perform a style in which she has no training.
The Star, yes, but not the professional Ballroom dancer.
No class, DWTS Production/Suits !

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

But didn't most of the dancers have to do something out of their area of expertise? I think Karina showed a human reaction based on what she felt were her failures in that dance. And honestly, I don't think it was awful.

My question is what did Len say to her when he was judging that routine? Was he angry with her? It happened so quickly that I didn't quite hear what he said, other than to praise Apolo.

One last note: I wish Apolo had pulled out some video of all the times he was knocked down or fell in a speed skating race. Happens all the time in that sport.

In short, I'm so glad Karina and Apolo will be back next week. Fuck yeah! lol

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

My question is what did Len say to her when he was judging that routine? Was he angry with her? It happened so quickly that I didn't quite hear what he said, other than to praise Apolo.

He "to be honest, I wasn't watching you, Karina."

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I didn't even notice Karina had fallen until she freaked out. I think we were all busy watching Apolo try to take off his mic, and that fall could have plausibly been part of the dance. She shouldn't have made such a big deal about it.

Then again... it worked. They weren't eliminated. In fact, someone in the Bristol Palin thread speculated that maybe Karina got them so much of the sympathy vote that this is what finally got Palin booted off! If so, I hope someone lets Karina know, so she can rejoice instead of continuing to beat herself up :-)

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I know I had to rewind a few times before I actually saw the fall. But, that was primarily because the dance was so really awful that anything that happened could have been part of the dance.

Karina is a dramatic person full of big highs and big lows. It was humiliating for her, and she's not one to take things with a stiff upper lip. She's got that "artiste" personality. So, having her sob was to be expected. And you have to give it to her. She did the flat out ugly cry. None of this Nicole Scherzinger pretty crying for Karina.

Poor thing. She probably felt stupid throughout the whole dance -- probably the whole week! The fall was the icing on the whole horrible cake.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

I remember Karina was also extremely upset when she fell during one of Ralph's routines. She seems to take it very personally that she is supposed to be perfect for these people.

Hoser

Hoser

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

stinamaia: Poor thing. She probably felt stupid throughout the whole dance -- probably the whole week! The fall was the icing on the whole horrible cake.

Those were exactly my thoughts. Hip Hop was probably the worst dance for Karina to get. I think she could have handled modern or Bollywood (which BTW, I think she and Apolo would have been amazing at) but Hip Hop? Not so much. She was probably bricking it all week. Then come showtime with extra nerves and feeling the pressure of a tight competition - whammo! I really felt for her and actually said "Oh, bless," just like my granny would have, when she did the ugly cry.

popcorn: I remember Karina was also extremely upset when she fell during one of Ralph's routines.

She also had a bit of a breakdown during dress rehearsals for her freestyle with JR. She was so nervous and worried about letting him down she couldn't do the lifts.

Edited by Hoser, Oct 17, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.

nowhere person

nowhere person

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I remember, when Karina and RJ did the dance about the dead soldier, that after it was over, Karina was lying on the floor and sobbing her heart out. That wasn't because she messed up - she didn't - but it was right after his film package about his service, and I think she just felt it very deeply.

I'm not going to be judgey because she cried after what looked like a pretty hard fall. Even if she wasn't hurt, the shock of landing on the floor (when you didn't see it coming at all) must have been tough. And then, the embarassment, to boot.

By the way, is this tweet from Maks supposed to be a slam at Karina? That she was faking the crying/upset?

"Amidst all the bullshit and 'fakeness', I just want to applaud the 'elite' few, who aren't fooled ;)"

I wonder who the "elite" are?