ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 6:10 PM

Video > (People TV Watch) Karina Smirnoff: Why I Postponed My Wedding

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 7:46 PM

I don't buy it. I really don't. Why couldn't she get a wedding planner or something?

jfye72

jfye72

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

I don't buy it. I really don't. Why couldn't she get a wedding planner or something?

Maybe she wants to be more hands on and doing the show and Brad being away would make that difficult.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

I get wanting to plan your own wedding. And I get not wanting to be stressed because you are dividing your attention between two major things.

What I'm most happy about is that she is completely focused on J.R. and this season of DWTS. :)

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

I don't blame anyone, including myself, for being skeptical, but I really think this mirror ball thing is everything to her now that she has a real shot at it. I'm sure she would have gotten through her entire time on DWTs and no win just fine, but although she's come close in the past, this is the first time she's gotten her "Drew" - a guy who is young, in really good shape, very musical, strong and athletic, and able to win over the audience and grow his own fan base and it just gets a pro's motor running, they can't help it. Even if they've won before. I say Drew because at times the dynamic reminds me of Drew/Cheryl - there are times it's like Karina is morphing into Cheryl. I've seen her be strict but often there's a degree of acting, or persuasion, or something like that involved. Here she just seems straight up about it, she's not coddling and she's saying it like she sees it, and I believe her when she said she was going to work him this week because "I want us to do good." And him being on edge but funny about it and the way neither one has a problem telling it to the other feels real too.

She doesn't want to blow it, or him to blow it, or give the judges or audience an excuse to choose someone else. She was in an interview with George P. of KABC-TV, that great DWTs et reporter and he pointed out that when J.R. talked, Karina would just pay attention and not look at anything else, but with other partners she'd often be glancing around, smiling and waving. And it's true, her eyes weren't even flickering at anything else. I don't think it's because she's so mesmerized by him personally although they do click, but just that she's in the zone with the entire experience. To continue the Cheryl comparison it's sort of a combination of the Drew/Gilles season. Drew because of where J.R. stands with a only straw competition but if they don't maintain their standard and meet expectations to the end they could blow it. And Drew because of how Karina calls out what she thinks is bad technique and because Karina can push and pull his limbs and tell it like she sees it and J.R. is a tough guy with good perspective.

Gilles because Cheryl sort of hit this middle-distance stare kind of zone at around this point - she was in space - her whole brain was consumed with what to do next, how to get Gilles to do it. I felt like she might be doing choreo in her sleep - certainly thinking that. I get that ultra intense but sort of abstracted vibe off Karina that reminds me of that.

This is really the first time she's gotten the most popular one AND the best dancer one, and she knows the judges play games. So it's a challenge to her to put stuff together the judges like and that gets the audience excited. In another season I could see her playing off DWTs as an excuse to push back her wedding, and maybe she won't ever marry Penny, but I honestly think right now it's just the truth that she can't focus on anything else. She's done a really good job with the routines so far. The audience has cried, the audience has gotten excited and thrilled, the audience has had a great time. She's been in the zone with the choreo too - really putting in those highlight moments (another thing that reminds me of Cheryl in her winning seasons).

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

Karina & Louis dance to The Band Perry -If I Die Young - Results Show 10/18/2011.

Louis has said Karina was his partner years ago in Ballroom Competitions. I think they dance really well together. The lift Louis does with Karina on his back is just incredible. It doesn't get much better than this.

LouisVanAmstel Louis Van Amstel
Thanx so much ur your sweet tweets about @Karina_Smirnoff n I. I love dancing w Smirnova,something unseen becomes visible,it feels rewarding
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Edited by aceplace57, Oct 19, 2011 @ 5:13 PM.

Anisel

Anisel

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

There are videos of the two of them competing together. They were very good.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

I would so much rather watch Karina & Louis and Anna & Jonathan than Val & Troupe.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

Karina mentioned in a post-show interview (OTRC I think) that she (and Ricki) had to take an injection before she could dance last night. Does anyone know anything about that?

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:13 PM

Karina talks about them here:

Karina Smirnoff Talks Injuries, Judges Comments and More

Edited by catzy, Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:14 PM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

Derek mentioned getting a cortisone shot for his shoulder a couple weeks ago. Cortisone very quickly reduces inflammation - it's astonishing how well it works. It can be dangerous if used too much, but I think it's used a LOT for dancers who have injuries to temporarily reduce swelling and get them through the dance. Adrenalin that their body produces due to the excitement/fear probably takes care of the pain, but without cortisone shots, I bet there would be many dancers who'd have to bow out.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

Karina mentioned in a post-show interview (OTRC I think) that she (and Ricki) had to take an injection before she could dance last night. Does anyone know anything about that?

Derek mentioned getting a cortisone shot for his shoulder a couple weeks ago.

David mentioned taking a cortisone shot as well this week.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

When did you get the injury?

K: It was earlier in the week. I actually felt it in my shoulders after dancing with Louis [Van Amstel] at the results show. It kept getting worse and worse during rehearsals because the quickstep is all in frame, so I could feel it more and more. Then two days ago, I couldnít even lift my left arm. I was thinking the whole time I have to be able to lift it to hold the frame, so I had physical therapy. I had two shots in my shoulder blade, so it was an eventful couple of days. Ricki Lake also had an injury with her ribs. Iím not exactly sure what it was. We were thinking maybe like a bruised rib. You know, itís week six and I donít want to sound like Iím starting to complain, but thatís when you get tired and your body might give out a little here and there. Youíve gotta keep being smart and keep getting physical therapy and if you feel something, take precaution because you want to be able to have your body until the end if youíre able to get that far.

That's a little worrisome....

But after re-watching her dance with Louis I can see why it put stress on her shoulders. Some of those moves hurt my shoulders just watching them.

Edited by Finley, Oct 27, 2011 @ 12:35 PM.

theOuterLimits

theOuterLimits

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

I would love to see Karina win. She came the closest with Mario Lopez. I think she's overdue.

TwoBitUsherette

TwoBitUsherette

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

There's not a doubt in my mind that Karina and J.R. will be in the final two, and I'm about 97% certain that they'll win. The only thing that makes me slightly nervous is the freestyle and the fact that we haven't seen one from her since season 3. I really do think that there have been seasons won and lost based on that dance (season 5 and 8 immediately come to mind), and I'd hate to see them slip at the very end like some couples have done.

With the pros that are left, she'll be going up against some people that have all been in the finals and won multiple times (Kym, Derek, Cheryl) and one who's just been to the finals a lot (Maks). Obviously Tristan's a wildcard since he's new, but I don't think Nancy will make it to the finals.

Hopefully she'll be able to choreograph a fun routine that shows off J.R.'s personality and his strength as a dancer and they'll take home the trophy.

Winnie Rose

Winnie Rose

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

The only thing that makes me slightly nervous is the freestyle and the fact that we haven't seen one from her since season 3. I really do think that there have been seasons won and lost based on that dance (season 5 and 8 immediately come to mind), and I'd hate to see them slip at the very end like some couples have done.

Agreed. Especially if the final two are JR and Ricki, the freestyle is crucial - and as always I'm sure Derek will do a good one. If I were Karina I'd already be choreographing the freestyle. She's done a great job so far this season so I'm hopeful!

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 10:26 PM

I am worried for JR & Karina tonight. That Tango was not good. Is Ghostbusters the worst Tango song ever in the history of the show? If not, it has to at least be in the top 5.

I hope they get to do an Argentine Tango at some point, because I feel like tonight's Tango was a wasted opportunity to see JR dance.

Finley

Finley

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Loved JR & Karina tonight!

It was adorable seeing Karina practically unhinged with joy! My face hurt from smiling!

alaspata

alaspata

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 2:38 AM

I liked the strategy that Karina explained for choreographing the insta-Jive, with the four sets of 8s. That definitely seemed to work in their favor tonight. I've generally loved Karina's quick dances, like Aaron's Jive and Quickstep.

Karina has choreographed a 30 freestyle before with Mario. He and Emmitt actually were tied in judges' points when including the scores for the other dances (89/90) so it came down to viewer votes. So, she is capable of choreographing a solid freestyle probably as much as Derek or Cheryl, and certainly better than Maks. The thing with Karina is that she just hasn't gotten to the finals as many times (wasn't Mario L the only time?), so we just haven't seen her do much freestyle. With JR's personality and entire storyboard, I think the freestyle will not be as much "make it or break it" as it has been in the past.

Karina has gotten so much pleasure out of working with JR. Even when she was explaining in her TH how the Waltz was serious and had no room for goofiness, she couldn't stop smiling and giggling at the end.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 2:49 AM

I liked the strategy that Karina explained for choreographing the insta-Jive, with the four sets of 8s.

This is the first time I have heard of this strategy. Am impressed. Will not be surprised if other pros will adopt this for future 'insta-dances' (is it possible for it to work with other type of dances?).

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

I think Karina is capable of doing an incredible freestyle with J.R. Their Jive in week 2 had me convinced way back then. J.R. sales all of his dances and adapts his personality to suit the mood. They have the most potential for being able to do something big and making the whole night with it.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:18 AM

Video > (Access Hollywood) Karina Smirnoff

It sounds like Karina has choreographed a kick-ass Argentine Tango and I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight.

Edited by ByTheWay, Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:18 AM.

WriterLiz1988

WriterLiz1988

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

Judging from the tweets between Ralph and Karina, Ralph is coming to watch tonight! I loved the two together.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

I really like the chemistry between JR and Karina. They look great together on the dance floor, and seem to have a nice friendship in the rehearsal footage.
But I'm fairly new to the DWTS world, so could someone explain why there's so much negative feeling about Karina? I've read in several places that DWTS fans either love her or hate her. I've only seen a likeable side of Karina, so what caused the negativity?

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

I think it spins off her first season on the show with Mario Lopez. They became a duo and the impression was she was taking it overly seriously and as a real competition. There was the perception of a lot of attitude - from Mario too. It was like Emmitt Smith (whom I loved, and who won) was the hero and Mario was the villain - I'm being VERY general as obviously Mario had fans - when the score was a three-way tie he was runner up and Joey Lawrence was third. Karina appeared to be an extremely poor sport when Emmitt was announced as the winner. She didn't clap, called Mario "My champion" and in general came across sour in the minds of some. I also think some is just her face - she does good bitchface and before people got to know her that turned people off. Speaking for myself, there was often a lot of this dynamic where the celeb seemed to fall into the role of feeding Karina compliments, not wanting to let HER down, etc. It would be more about her experience than theirs;them making her feel better. She cried a couple of times in the confessional too, while the celeb would console her.

What I think changed - she let her sense of humor show a lot more. She started enjoying the show experience more. She figured out it wasn't a real ballroom competition and began promoting it the right way - "journey" focused versus mirror-ball focused. The biggest difference I've noticed with all of that is her choreography for her celebs is a lot more viewer-and-studio-friendly. In recent seasons it's a whole lot easier to have fun watching her programs - she knows how to bring the crowd into it now. She was part of the tour when there was a DWTs tour - that may have helped too. There are some fun videos of her on the tour dancing with Derek and Louis.

It's been hot and cold with her - her first uptick in viewer support (other than those who had no problem with her in the first place) was her season with Billy Ray Cyrus when she kept plugging away with him with a lot of patience despite the fact he couldn't dance at all and could be a big baby. Mostly I think fans have gotten used to her, know when and when not to take her seriously, and she's matured as a pro partner on the show too.

nowhere person

nowhere person

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

I agree about the bitchface and less-than-fun routines early on.

I started to really like Karina the season she was paired with Aaron Carter. I remember she called herself a "stone-cold bitch," or something like that, and I laughed so hard. That was right after the big Maks break-up, and I admired the way she handled the crap that the Friends of Maks were spreading about.

I thought she got some very good routines out of Aaron, who seemed simultaneously fragile and a dirtbag.

I've liked her ever since.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 7:38 PM

Thanks WaltzinSpringTm and nowhereperson. That helps to explain it!
As I said, I really have enjoyed her with JR this season, and with Ralph in the few episodes I caught last season. I would love for her to finally get that mirrorball. And now I wanna go to YouTube and watch her dances with Billy Ray Cyrus and Aaron Carter...

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

And now I wanna go to YouTube and watch her dances with Billy Ray Cyrus and Aaron Carter...

The Quickstep with Billy Ray Cyrus was probably his best. I genuinely enjoyed it. The Paso Doble was kind of entertaining/fascinating. Carrie-Ann's reaction was basically the same one I had.

As for Aaron, both of his Jives (fast forward to the 3:20 mark in the 2nd video) were top notch, and I loved their Argentine Tango (this is where she made her great "I'm a cold-blooded bitch" comment). Their Samba, Cha-Cha, and Quickstep also all were very good, and Karina was great in their Rumba.

Her best work was with Mario Lopez, though. I actually loved her choreography back then. It was dynamic and engaging, and often times intense, and that's exactly what drew me to her (and Mario). It just so stood out to me compared to most of the other choreography I'd see on the show up until that point.

A large reason why to this day I enjoy Mario's performances above almost any others is because I felt like he really matched that quality in her work, and they were just the perfect match dance-wise. I also felt that the choreography she gave to him was infinitely harder than almost anyone else has had, but that's another topic. It never seemed that way, though, because he usually rose to the occasion, so it never really looked labored. I believe that's a reason why he never really got credit for doing harder stuff. It just didn't really come across as harder than most, because he just kind of....did it, and made it look easy. And they were usually pretty seamless with it.

I'd recommend their Paso Doble, their 2nd Tango, their 1st Tango, their Mambo, their Finale Samba, their 1st Samba, their 2nd Cha-Cha (Karina was on fire during that), their Waltz....honestly, let me stop. I'll be posting all of their dances, lol.

They just had an intensity that's never really been matched for me.

They are the reason why I started to really get into this show. In seasons 1 and 2, I'd always get bored and tune out. I found that Mario & Karina had flair, and really captured my attention and kept it.

P.S. Karina was glorious in their Rumba. Not Mario's best dance (though still better than a lot of the crap on this show), but she was incredible.

I also enjoyed her Mambo with Rocco DiSpirito, even though his technique was not the best. I agree with CAI that I like how he just handled her.

I think it spins off her first season on the show with Mario Lopez. They became a duo and the impression was she was taking it overly seriously and as a real competition.

Yeah, I posted a video a few pages back in which she talked about coming straight from competing for top in the world into doing this show. I could see how it would be an adjustment.

ETA: Watching those Aaron Carter Jive videos again....he really should just quit whatever it is he's doing now, and dance the Jive for the rest of his life. I don't think there's ever been a better Jive on this show than those two Jives.

ETA Again: I put the correct link up for Mario & Karina's 1st Tango. I had initially posted the same Tango twice.

Edited by QueenL, Nov 16, 2011 @ 6:38 PM.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 4:07 PM

Her best work was with Mario Lopez, though. I actually loved her choreography back then. It was dynamic and engaging, and often times intense, and that's exactly what drew me to her (and Mario). It just so stood out to me compared to most of the other choreography I'd see on the show up until that point.

I am so with you! I was so pissed off when Cheryl & Emmitt walked away with the MBT that I didn't watch DWTS for quite a few seasons afterwards. I know, what a Drama Queen I can be, but I was so aghast that anyone could possibly be crowned the champs over Karina & Mario that I figured the show was a joke, and that I was wasting my time watching it.

In retrospect, I'm sure I missed a lot of great performances during my boycott. But I showed them, didn't I?

amft

amft

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

As I started watching DWTS during the later seasons and only went back recently to watch the first few, I too did not understand the Karina hate. I think she has had one of the harder roads for pros considering her partners and either their complete lack of dance talent (the Woz or BRC anyone?) or their semi-crazy personalities (Aaron), but I think she has matured to be one of the pros who can handle it. I want more than anything for her and JR to walk away with the mirror ball trophy next week and I will be voting my fingers off to help make that happen!