Tony Dovolani: The “Bad Boy” of the Ballroom

• Please log in to reply

1422 replies to this topic

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

ABC obviously has him in the middle-aged-women category any more, and his good manners end up feeding into an image of him as less than exciting. It's so sad that a gentleman gets dissed for behaving well!

I am not really sure Tony is being dissed. I think he's got a set of certain personal qualities that make him a perfect gentleman, great balroom dancer and a tall, handsome and proper partner. In addition, Tony is very patient and good-natured. All of that combined, makes him a perfect partner for tall celebrities, including those who are middle-aged and older.

Having said that, I agree when people say his choreography is boring - I think Tony does not like to take risks; he leans more towards solid and safe performances. And those are usually not exciting or memorable.

But I do like Tony very much. He is very positive and he is a great guy. And I do enjoy his dancing and the fact that he does not have a need to dance with his shirt unbuttoned or without it.

Edited by nospin, Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

DanceinRain

DanceinRain

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:41 AM #1319
Groping your partner, kissing/making out with your partner, manhandling/verbally abusing your partner are more innovative and entertaining.

LOL, that would seem to be the Standard Operating Belief of the DWTS producers. LOL (BTW, methinks they're way wrong, for sure.)

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Did anybody else catch Tony on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? today? It's Celebrity Week - playing for the Alzheimer's Association - and I thought he was personable and engaging. When Meredith asked him about winning the mirror ball trophy on DWTS, he said it would be nice to take the trophy home for his kids. He also danced a little with Meredith and with one audience member. I enjoyed his round much more than some of the other celebrities this week.

Edited by labresq, Sep 21, 2012 @ 3:58 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I'm trying to find a link to Millionaire online. So, how much money did Tony win for charity?

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 21, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

I don't remember how much he won but he did really well, I thought, both in knowing the answers to the questions and also in how he interacted with Meredith and the audience. Some of the celebrities were kinda hard to watch because they were into their comedy or drama or otherwise "on" and Tony was friendly, outgoing, and there to do well. He said that the reason he wanted to do the show was because one of his former partners (Lessa Gibbons?) mother had Alzheimers.

He ran up quite a bit of money (in the $40,000 - $50,000 range) but then had to walk before he got to the end of the first round, so he only got to keep half of what he won. I just remember being very impressed with how he handled himself.

This was in Maks's thread - I brought it here because it sums up what I was saying about Tony:

[Tony] needs to be the official ambassador of DWTS. He NEVER comes off poorly in an interview. He is very diplomatic, but not boring. Just a great representative of the show.

Edited by labresq, Sep 23, 2012 @ 8:34 AM.

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I wrote a really great response to this yesterday, but I guess it got caught in the server problems. Anyway - I don't remember exactly how much he won, but he got very far (maybe $40 - $50,000) before he walked away with half of that because he ran out of lifelines. He said the reason he was playing for the Alzheimer's Association was because one of his former partners (Leesa Gibbons?) mother had Alzheimer's and he knew how devastating a disease it can be. He also said he learned English by watching TV - he mentioned a couple of shows but the only one I remember was "Mr. Ed" - he said "Wilbur" and it was cute.

Beyond how much he won, though, it was how he presented himself that I was impressed with - he wasn't full of funny or drama or anything else - not "on" like several of the other celebrities. He just came across as personable, intelligent, interested, friendly, and professional.

I saw this post in Maks' thread and had to bring it over here - it sums up how I felt about Tony's appearance on Millionaire;

[Tony] needs to be the official ambassador of DWTS. He NEVER comes off poorly in an interview. He is very diplomatic, but not boring. Just a great representative of the show.

labresq

labresq

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

My link

If I did that correctly, this is a brief clip of Tony on Millionaire - shows him explaining how his family came to the US. I didn't see if there were any other clips.

willmore

willmore

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

I think this is the first season ever that I've seen Tony dance...really dance.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

That Samba was honestly some of Tony's best choreography. He can choreograph a mean Samba. Both of his Sambas with Melissa and Stacy were incredible!

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

I'm loving Tony this season. His excitement and pure joy just makes him so fun to watch. I love his partnership with Melissa.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I think we need a special Tony cam. His reactions to things that are funny, crazy, wrong etc. are priceless. One of my favorites was when Macy Gray was inappropriate about how her dance went and Tonys face just said it all. I would love to see him finally win but I don't think this will be the season. I am however happy to see him enjoying his time on the show. He and Melissa are perfect together.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 3:49 AM

Bringing this train of thought over from the episode thread:

I've also noticed Tony is not socializing with them like he used to during Audrina days.

TruBrit, I've noticed that since Maks went off to do the Ukrainian Bachelor.

I wonder if some of the apparent distance comes from Tony getting some "interviewer" gigs (which he turned out to be VERY good at, btw). Interviewing is one thing Tony can do well (that Maks can't) but he needs to bring more of the public's perspective - not just the "in crowd's" - in order to keep being hired.

I don't know if I am making myself clear about the impact of non-dance job opportunities on his demeanour, but aside from that there is also the fact that Tony is a married man with children that he appears to dote on. He probably doesn't do the quite the same amount of public socializing that the unmarried guys do. I think he is still best buds with Maks, but has different priorities and seems to have decided not to drop friends just because Maks doesn't like them (he's been very complimentary of Karina recently).

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

I think you've said it very well, anothermi and I agree with your assessment. Tony strikes me as being very smart and I am sure he is thinking of his long-term career plans outside of DWTS. I think he's more mature than Maks and his gang - maybe that's due to his marriage and family or maybe he recognizes the folly of being a "bad boy" once you're past a certain age. In any case, it looks good on him. I really like Tony - I think I said somewhere that he should be the DWTS Ambassador. He never puts a foot wrong in interviews, even when he's being asked about controversial events. I agree that he probably is still on friendly terms with Maks, but has decided to put distance between himself and Maks.

Getting back to the "Bad Boy" label - I think that was Tony's moniker in his competition days "The Bad Boy of Ballroom". I swear, I don't get it. He seems like the nicest guy and he just gets nicer as the seasons go by. Was he a hellraiser when he competed?

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Very well said, anothermi. I still think Tony and Maks are friends and business partners, but I also think Tony is tired of all the Maks drama and has started to distance himself from it. Also, Maks now surrounds himself with people who are quite a bit younger than he is which may have something to do with it too, since Tony is older.

I've also noticed Tony seems to be friendly with Karina again. And so does Cheryl.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I wonder if some of the apparent distance comes from Tony getting some "interviewer" gigs (which he turned out to be VERY good at, btw). Interviewing is one thing Tony can do well (that Maks can't) but he needs to bring more of the public's perspective - not just the "in crowd's" - in order to keep being hired.

That doesn't seem at all plausible First, Tony started getting gigs with Extra because he was voted off early. Several entertainment outlets have done the same in the past with pros who are gone in the first few weeks or who are left out of a season entirely. I have no doubt Tony would rather be a pro who consistently makes it far into the competition than one who is available for Extra. Also, I'll note that Maks did an interview for Extra in between seasons. Working for Extra is not an exclusive or career-making gig.

As for any distance between Tony and Maks, I think it's much ado about nothing. They lived together last season, only I never heard either one of them mentioned it. Karina spilled the beans on that one. Just because they don't tweet about it every time they see each other doesn't mean they aren't still friends. I think this is another case of thinking what we see is everything that goes on. I can't count the number of times Tony has called Maks his best friend or brother over the past few years and Tony was instrumental in planning the huge birthday celebration for Maks this year.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

As for any distance between Tony and Maks, I think it's much ado about nothing.

Hee. I hope this isn't a continued reference to the bit you quoted at the start of your post, because I stated unequivocally that I thought Tony & Maks were still best buds.

As for the Extra gigs. I wasn't wondering about them specifically, but the fact that Tony turned out to be good at them. He can't dance on the show forever, and I see him branching out and taking other kinds of TV gigs. Of course, I was only wondering if there was some connection. I think what we see on TV is just that Tony and Maks have different personalities, and for me, Tony's holds up better over the long term.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

He can't dance on the show forever, and I see him branching out and taking other kinds of TV gigs.

anothermi, that's how I took your comment. I think Tony has his eye on future career options. DWTS will come to an end one day for him. I think interviewing would be a good gig for him if that's the direction he wants to go.

Edited by Sunnyheart, Nov 1, 2012 @ 1:53 PM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

anothermi, that's how I took your comment. I think Tony has his eye on future career options. DWTS will come to an end one day for him. I think interviewing would be a good gig for him if that's the direction he wants to go.

I took it the same way. I think Tony's done very well with the interviews he does and that it's something he could get into after dancing. Maks, on the other hand, let's just say I'm hoping this new idea about becoming some kind of an actor passes quickly.

EmbraceTheDark

EmbraceTheDark

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I think we need a special Tony cam. His reactions to things that are funny, crazy, wrong etc. are priceless.

Ha! That would be all types of mazing. His facial expressions are indeed hilarious. I consider him to be sort of the "elder statesman" of DWTS (no, I am not calling him old!) and enjoy his presence on the show immensely.

I'm so beyond happy for Tony this season - he is infectiously joyous and he is likely having his best season to date. His reaction to winning the marathon was so utterly adorable.

Even though I realize Tony/Melissa are likely being propped, I really do not care - they're probably my favorite couple at this point (so much so that I'm actually power voting for them instead of passively watching the season). Last night was terrific for the duo and I am beyond elated. They truly are perfect together - heck they look alike, with those insanely white teeth and toothy smiles.

I've had some issues with Tony's choreography, but I thought last week's Viennese Waltz was beautiful and LOVED loved loved the cha cha/tango fusion, which is a big feat for me as it pains me to admit I enjoyed watching something set to a Ke$ha song.

As I am more or less in love with Henry Byalikov and eagerly want to see him as a pro on the show, I can't wait to see next week's routine.

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

Elated for Tony that he's in the finals once again. I hope he can choreograph some great last dances, particularly the freestyle, because nothing would please me more than to see him finally nab the mirrorball.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

I'm so nervous for his freestyle. He's up against Derek who just this season has choreographed 2-3 freestyles already.

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I think he's learned his lesson from last time and will do something completely different. I've enjoyed his choreo this season, so fingers crossed for an awesome freestyle.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Tony just needs to realize niche freestyles don't really work. His "disco" freestyle with Stacy was a non-event. As a huge Stacy fan in season 2, even I could admit that was a disaster.

He made the mistake of doing something "old school hip hop" styled with Melissa and basically did a bunch of salsa/lindy hop lifts and was disjointed.

He needs something high energy in the vein of Lindy Hop/Jitterbug/Jive with lifts, but just enough with a cute theme and song that people can relate to. That's something that Derek and Mark thrive at, which is theming their freestyles and picking good songs for them.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Tony and Melissa looked good doing the swing dance, why not a freestyle of lindy hop styled dances (how cute would Meilssa and Tony looked decked out in 1940 costumes?) Or a combination of many ballroom dances, or a routine from a Fred Astaire movie? Melissa does well with the flowy dances (not so much with funky or hip action required dances). I think they would be elegant and if done right, a nice old fashioned movie musical dance number might be enough to compete with Derek's incredibly creative and inventive freestyles (love him or hate him, Derek is one of the best chorographers on this show).

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Apparently today is Tony's 13th wedding anniversary. The mirror ball trophy would be a great present.

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

It sure would! Hopefully it'll happen.

starsonboard

starsonboard

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I tried repeatedly dialing the number for Melissa and Tony from my cell phone. I could not get through at all during Central time and then the message I received was that voting was closed. I was not able to get in EVEN ONE VOTE! I hope that means that they won!

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I've been so impressed with Tony this season. I've always liked him because he seems super nice but I think he really brought his A game this season. True, he's not as flashy as Derek or Mark or some of the others, but he choreographed wonderful dances for Melissa, challenged her, and highlighted her talents. He recognized what didn't work last time and improved on in this time, all while following the rules. I truly think they deserve the trophy the most.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Win or lose, I hope that Tony's choreo this season has impressed TPTB enough to give him more ringer-ish type of contestants now.

Even if they get 2nd place, they will be the only couple that returned for All Stars and improved on where they placed the first time. Everyone else only did worse unless a winner wins again.

Edited by PBGamer89, Nov 27, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Did Tony curse up a storm or take his clothes off? It sort of ruined the ending when they cut away and then showed someone else hugging or something. Really weird.